Author Topic: Arch/Matheos - v. Winter Ethereal COMING MAY 10th, 2019!  (Read 54779 times)

Offline gazinwales

Re: Arch/Matheos - v. Winter Ethereal COMING MAY 10th, 2019!
« Reply #280 on: May 10, 2019, 05:19:32 PM »
Live streaming from Metal Blade of the album;
https://youtu.be/KBM4e6g-eiw

Played the album once through and it's already sounding killer.
Lots going on and too much to digest in one listen.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #281 on: May 10, 2019, 06:17:20 PM »
Yes, Aresti plays solos in Never In Your Hands and Kindred Spirits
The rest is only Jim? Wow, he’s soloing a lot, very unusual for him.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #282 on: May 10, 2019, 07:13:17 PM »
Yes, Aresti plays solos in Never In Your Hands and Kindred Spirits
The rest is only Jim? Wow, he’s soloing a lot, very unusual for him.

Yeah, I think this has to be the most he's soloed on an album in at least twenty-five years, right? At least since Inside Out, I think.

Kinda hope the trend continues and we see him do more solos on the next FW album next year, because he knocked it out of the ballpark with this album! :hefdaddy
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #283 on: May 10, 2019, 08:13:31 PM »
Agreed, he did a terrific job on this one! Also, although I love those CDs, I wish there was more guitar solos from aPSOG to FWX. 
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #284 on: May 11, 2019, 12:30:12 AM »
Played the album once through and it's already sounding killer.
Lots going on and too much to digest in one listen.

That's me, too.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #285 on: May 11, 2019, 07:36:04 AM »
Having listened to the album a lot today, I'd say Kindred Spirits is probably my absolute favorite off the album. In fact, that song might just be the greatest piece of work John and Jim have ever made together. It's that good.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #286 on: May 11, 2019, 12:34:35 PM »
This album is fucking poetic. Man, what a listen! This album may be the reason Jim is my all time favorite musician.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #287 on: May 11, 2019, 01:28:28 PM »
Am I the only Arch/Matheos/FW fan that is bothered by the muffled production? The sound is a bit of a letdown IMO. Makes it difficult to make out details at lower volume.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #288 on: May 11, 2019, 01:35:13 PM »
I do think the bass is a tad too high but it doesn’t sound muffled to my ears. But having said that, Malone’s bass on Kindred Spirits sounds amazing.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #289 on: May 11, 2019, 06:45:47 PM »
here's another interview with John Arch.

this album.

They really labored over this album, and it shows. It does support my feeling of spending time and being a bit meticulous with songs/songwriting really can pay off in the end.

in other words, patience very much can be a virtue.

the background on Tethered and Kindred Spirits is very in-depth. I should checkout that documentary John mentions "The Russian Woodpecker"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #290 on: May 11, 2019, 07:57:57 PM »
I haven't paid much attention to the lead up to this album, but I just unwrapped my CD and listening now.

Again, not paying attention, I assumed this would also be Jarzombek/Vera rounding out the band.
But it's way more than that.., Dibiase, Digiorgio, Malone and Zonder, Lang tooo. never heard of the other guys listed.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #291 on: May 11, 2019, 08:00:03 PM »
I’ll give this album a spin, but I’ve never been able to listen to John’s voice for too long. I tried with his FW albums, his solo EP and the first Arch/Matheos and couldn’t get through any of them :-\
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #292 on: May 11, 2019, 08:33:07 PM »
I’ll give this album a spin, but I’ve never been able to listen to John’s voice for too long. I tried with his FW albums, his solo EP and the first Arch/Matheos and couldn’t get through any of them :-\

I haven't even finished my first listen (listening now), but I would say that this is easily the most accessible John Arch has ever been vocally.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #293 on: May 11, 2019, 09:22:35 PM »

I haven't even finished my first listen (listening now), but I would say that this is easily the most accessible John Arch has ever been vocally.

Yeah, I'd agree with this. He knocked it out of the park with this album IMO.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #294 on: May 12, 2019, 02:34:12 PM »
Wanderlust and Tethered are probably my favourite so far. Tethered is SO beautiful!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #295 on: May 12, 2019, 03:42:49 PM »
I dunno. I really enjoy Arch's voice, but he's just so one-note both on this album and the other one. He sings exactly the same way from start to finish - loudly. That works for the heavier sections but I'm not sold whenever it slows down a bit. Just my two cents.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #296 on: May 12, 2019, 08:00:38 PM »
Wanderlust and Tethered are probably my favourite so far. Tethered is SO beautiful!

Yeah, I really dig Tethered a lot. Love how soulful Arch gets on that song. That said, I think my absolute favorite is still Kindred Spirits though, followed by Vermilion Moons and Pitch Black Prism.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #297 on: May 12, 2019, 08:05:26 PM »
After just ONE listen, the two standouts for me are Vermillion Moons and Wrath Of The Universe.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #298 on: May 13, 2019, 01:08:35 AM »
After just ONE listen, the two standouts for me are Vermillion Moons and Wrath Of The Universe.

Both are fantastic songs! All of the epics on this album are some of Jim’s finest work ever IMO.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline JLa

« Reply #299 on: May 13, 2019, 02:06:45 AM »
Listening now ... music is bad ass as always. Decent vocals too this time around, that's an improvement! Or, when it comes to Arch I don't really know if I struggle most with his voice, his vocal melodies or both, but either way he sounds better on this.  :tup

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #300 on: May 13, 2019, 11:17:03 AM »
Metal Blade released the full album on YT - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW1I6klf-kA

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #301 on: May 14, 2019, 08:52:25 AM »
Metal Blade released the full album on YT - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW1I6klf-kA

I love when record labels and bands do this! IMO it's a nice way to help introduce potential new fans or less informed fans to these sorts of albums. :tup

I'm very curious to see how the rankings between Winter Ethereal, Sympathetic, Awaken the Guardian, The Spectre Within and John's E.P. will turn out among fans. I'd include the OG Fates album in the race here, but I think it's a safe bet that most fans would rank it last. :lol
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #302 on: May 14, 2019, 09:05:36 AM »
It makes no sense to me.  What incentive do people have to buy it if the entire thing is up in the public domain for free?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #303 on: May 14, 2019, 09:11:17 AM »
The original incentive - to support the band. It's going to get on YT anyway and all over the place, might as well be the first to do it so all the people who look for it go to the official source with links to the store, etc. It's free on Spotify and other services like that, so why not YT.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #304 on: May 14, 2019, 09:51:15 AM »
It makes no sense to me.  What incentive do people have to buy it if the entire thing is up in the public domain for free?

I believe they get streaming royaties as well. Youtube calls it “monetizing”.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #305 on: May 14, 2019, 10:28:37 AM »
This might be my album of the year. I'm just shocked how Jim has written Darkness in a Different Light, Sympathetic Resonance, Theories of Flight and Winter Ethereal which all have been amazing pieces of work and top notch quality. I feel that all these records do not have a single filler track.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #306 on: May 14, 2019, 10:42:06 AM »
I mean I guess it doesn't really matter when they barely make money from Spotify and YouTube plays as it is, so why not. The whole industry sucks.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #307 on: May 14, 2019, 05:11:50 PM »
Am I the only Arch/Matheos/FW fan that is bothered by the muffled production? The sound is a bit of a letdown IMO. Makes it difficult to make out details at lower volume.

Finally got the cd and looking at the credits, it was mixed by Jens Bogren and mastered by Tony Lindgren at Fascination Street Studios. Their mixes and mastering seem to be a bit on the hot side but have some clear instrument separation. Jens has mixed some Opeth, Symphony X, the last Haken, and the last FW studio albums and many others. This mix kind of resembles the rest of Jens’ work.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #308 on: May 15, 2019, 02:46:40 PM »
I love this album so much. But as much as I love Arch's voice, I would love it even more if he chooses to incorporate more of his lower register too. Things like the intro of Neurotically Wired is so beautiful, when he combines both. Likewise, the quieter moments in Wanderlsut (1:11), although that is higher and the part starting at 5:00 on Vermilion Moons. He has a nice talking voice too so I'd definitely encourage him to use all aspects of it when singing.

I'd also like to hear Ray sing Tethered. Perhaps with Arch.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 02:53:42 PM by abydos »

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #309 on: May 15, 2019, 03:02:49 PM »
Listening now ... music is bad ass as always. Decent vocals too this time around, that's an improvement! Or, when it comes to Arch I don't really know if I struggle most with his voice, his vocal melodies or both, but either way he sounds better on this.  :tup

Bolded my sentiments on John. After awhile I find my ears bleeding from listening to him sing. I started listening to this one and totally forgot about his wacky vocal melodies. Sometimes it's like he is singing for a different song or they applied his vocals to the wrong one. It's like he just freestyles or is doing scat vocals. I find it a bit disconcerting and it takes me out of it sometimes.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #310 on: May 15, 2019, 03:33:14 PM »

Bolded my sentiments on John. After awhile I find my ears bleeding from listening to him sing. I started listening to this one and totally forgot about his wacky vocal melodies. Sometimes it's like he is singing for a different song or they applied his vocals to the wrong one. It's like he just freestyles or is doing scat vocals. I find it a bit disconcerting and it takes me out of it sometimes.
That's part of his charm for me. No one else has the same cadence or melodies as John. He is unique.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #311 on: May 15, 2019, 04:52:54 PM »

This is my experience as well. I feel like the songs have no melodic line and he’s just belting it out for the sake of it. Haven’t been able to get into anything this guy has done. THANK GOD for Ray Alder :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #312 on: May 15, 2019, 10:09:35 PM »
there's really no singer who sounds exactly like John Arch.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #313 on: May 16, 2019, 09:43:08 AM »
there's really no singer who sounds exactly like John Arch.

Not at all. His delivery is really unique. It took me awhile to appreciate him. I started my Fates love with Ray, and prefer his more melodic, enveloping tone. But Arch was a bit more of a challenge. But I got there.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #314 on: May 20, 2019, 02:38:41 AM »
The other day Pitch Black Prism finally clicked with me. I liked it initially too but it didn't grab me. I think it might be one of the best songs in prog, certainly in the last 10 years or so. I even started watching the Chernobyl HBO show.