Author Topic: Arch/Matheos - v. Winter Ethereal COMING MAY 10th, 2019!  (Read 54575 times)

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Re: Arch/Matheos
« Reply #140 on: September 30, 2011, 07:25:23 PM »
Hmm, that kind of bored me.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #141 on: September 30, 2011, 09:01:09 PM »
I would start with Parallels and Perfect Symmetry. But that's just me.  ;)

I agree with dongringo.

Hmm, that kind of bored me.

That's not the best clip IMO, but its the only official one as far as I know.  The intro to that song is KILLER, as is the entirety of the opening track.  Don't give up on it James, it really is good.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #142 on: September 30, 2011, 09:30:40 PM »
I did kinda like the intro. Is the album on Grooveshark?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #143 on: September 30, 2011, 09:38:14 PM »
That's not the real intro :)

Yes it is.  I suggest Neurotically Wired, Tear Stained Sky (THAT INTRO!), and Incense and Myrrh to start.  That should be proper motivation to buy the album, although my word should have been enough.  I don't go pimping new albums every three days like some people around here do.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #144 on: September 30, 2011, 09:41:20 PM »
Haha that's true. I'll get a playlist set up.

If I am truly disappointed, your sig shall consist of some text that tells of how great I am. The antithesis to your avatar.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #145 on: September 30, 2011, 09:58:32 PM »
Reminds of Redemption (surprise) but I don't like it as much. (Speaking of which, I need to hear TMC this weekend!)

Offline dongringo

« Reply #146 on: October 01, 2011, 10:04:29 AM »
Reminds of Redemption (surprise) but I don't like it as much. (Speaking of which, I need to hear TMC this weekend!)

Then check out the Ray Alder era Fates, especially Parallels and Perfect Symmetry. Ray's voice is more palatable to most. In my opinion, that's when Fate's were at their peak. Just a suggestion.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: October 01, 2011, 10:08:49 AM »
The more I listen to this album, the less I'm impressed with it. The first two songs are great, but after that it's just like a gaping hole of saminess until Incense and Myrhh.

I still like it, but I think I need to give it a break.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #148 on: October 01, 2011, 10:11:57 AM »
The more I listen to this album, the less I'm impressed with it. The first two songs are great, but after that it's just like a gaping hole of saminess until Incense and Myrhh.

Wow, this is exactly what I was thinking. First two songs and the last with a huge gap of sameness. Thanks for putting my thoughts into words.  ;)
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: October 02, 2011, 05:08:19 AM »
Just listened to the album for the first time, I can say I'm impressed.  Although bosk's issue about Arch's vocal melodies totally did hit me, these melodies are hard to grasp onto and need time to digest.  I love the riffs and it's so good to hear to hear Frank Aresti back on cd, he is such an underrated monster player.  Check his solos on Stained Glass Sky and Any Given Day, just amazing.

My favs straight off are Midnight, Stained and Incense is great too.  Great record, look forward to listening to it more.  It's amazing how much these songs sound like Arch era Fates Warning.  Sounds like a sequel to Guardian or something.  This basically is Fates Warning.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #150 on: October 02, 2011, 07:06:40 AM »

Then check out the Ray Alder era Fates, especially Parallels and Perfect Symmetry. Ray's voice is more palatable to most. In my opinion, that's when Fate's were at their peak. Just a suggestion.

I've tried FW but wasn't digging it, this may be the same thing.

At least I have Redemption.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #151 on: October 02, 2011, 12:47:59 PM »

Wow, this is exactly what I was thinking. First two songs and the last with a huge gap of sameness. Thanks for putting my thoughts into words.  ;)

So it's not just me then.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #152 on: October 02, 2011, 01:36:54 PM »
  This basically is Fates Warning.

That's how I feel.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #153 on: October 03, 2011, 08:49:43 AM »
Just listened to the album for the first time, I can say I'm impressed.  Although bosk's issue about Arch's vocal melodies totally did hit me, these melodies are hard to grasp onto and need time to digest. 

It's not really an "issue"--just an observation.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: October 03, 2011, 09:52:18 AM »
One thing that kinda bugs me is that it's hard to understand what Arch is saying.  When I heard the new DT, I could easily find myself singing along to what JLB was saying, but I can't do that with Arch/Matheos because I have trouble understanding what he is saying a lot. 

But I must say that I put aside the new DT this past week and returned to Arch/Matheos, and I'm loving it more than my initial listens.  Really good stuff and Matheos is killing it!  I kinda think "Stained Glass Sky" would be a better opening track.  It's weird how that track has that opening portion that seems like a track all its own.  It reminds me of the first OSI disc how you had the instrumental "The New Math" followed up by the song "OSI." 

To me, "Incense and Myhhr" is my fav.  Really beautiful stuff there.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: October 04, 2011, 02:31:06 AM »
Just listened to the album for the first time, I can say I'm impressed.  Although bosk's issue about Arch's vocal melodies totally did hit me, these melodies are hard to grasp onto and need time to digest. 

It's not really an "issue"--just an observation.

Apologies for that mate.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: October 04, 2011, 02:31:59 AM »
I kinda think "Stained Glass Sky" would be a better opening track.

This was one of my first thoughts upon hearing it, I don't understand why it's not the opening track.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #157 on: October 04, 2011, 08:01:39 AM »
It would definitely make a good opener, but Neurotically Wired sounds great in the opening slot too, so I don't really have an issue.  After having this a few weeks, I have to say, while Stained Glass Sky initially hooked me, On The Fence is currently the album's infectious "can't get it out of my head" song.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 08:54:08 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #158 on: October 04, 2011, 08:11:55 AM »
I think the album opens with the right track, Neurotically Wired is excellent and a good opener.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #159 on: October 04, 2011, 02:02:26 PM »
On The Fence is currently the album's infectious "can't get it out of my head" song.

Just have to quote myself on this because I'm listening right now, and WHAT AN AMAZINGLY AWESOME MONSTER OF A SONG THIS IS!!!

Offline emtee

« Reply #160 on: November 02, 2011, 09:14:42 AM »
Surprise album of the year BY FAR. I spin it every day. Jarzombek is just unbelievable on this recording.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #161 on: November 02, 2011, 09:33:15 AM »
^^^  I agree, this is a beast of an album.   

I'm in the camp that prefers Alder over Arch, so at first I was a bit disappointed to hear that the "next Fates Warning" album basically morphed into the Arch Matheos project.  But this album has won me over big time, competing neck-and-neck with ADTOE for me.  I just hope that Matheos can keep this particular incarnation of Fates Warning going for the longer term.   
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: November 02, 2011, 09:54:08 AM »

I'm in the camp that prefers Alder over Arch, so at first I was a bit disappointed to hear that the "next Fates Warning" album basically morphed into the Arch Matheos project.  But this album has won me over big time, competing neck-and-neck with ADTOE for me.  I just hope that Matheos can keep this particular incarnation of Fates Warning going for the longer term.   
He's said that he plans on making an album with Ray next year. But then again, the two aren't mutually exclusive, and I'd be happy to get music from both!

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #163 on: November 02, 2011, 12:22:16 PM »

He's said that he plans on making an album with Ray next year. But then again, the two aren't mutually exclusive, and I'd be happy to get music from both!

Such a weird dynamic between Fates Warning, John Arch, Ray Alder and Redemption... like one big gray area.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #164 on: November 02, 2011, 12:31:02 PM »
Screw it, I'm gonna buy this album.  Arch's voice drives me nuts but the music sounds incredible. 

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: November 02, 2011, 12:39:07 PM »

Such a weird dynamic between Fates Warning, John Arch, Ray Alder and Redemption... like one big gray area.

Yes, but it's a pleasant shade of gray!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #166 on: November 02, 2011, 03:46:59 PM »
I really wish they would do a handful of U.S. dates on the east coast, cough "Philly" cough. I've been a huge fan of John Arch for a long time, and I would love to be able to see him live just once. (and hear Guardian fingers crossed).

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: November 03, 2011, 04:23:31 AM »
Guardian is one of the most amazing songs I've ever heard.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #168 on: November 03, 2011, 08:59:03 PM »

Yes, but it's a pleasant shade of gray!

;D

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: November 25, 2011, 08:28:14 AM »
After having the album for a week now, I can say I like it a lot.  I can't say I LOVE LOVE it as much as some of you, but it's definitely a really great album.  Personally, I need a little bit of keyboards in my prog metal for atmospheric purposes, but that's just me.  Also, Arch's voice is impressive, but he seems to sings at the same tone and power in each song part, whether it's verse or chorus.  I like a little more soft and loud dynamics in a singer's voice.  But again, that's just me.  And Matheos is a beast on this album.  Love him!

I agree with everything here.  I wanted to wait until I had a chance to spin it at least 3 or 4 times before posting in this thread.  The riffs are just monstrous.  :hefdaddy   But yeah, some keyboards would have been nice.  But I do like the two-guitar approach that Matheos uses here.

Arch, I don't know, sometimes it almost seems like he's really not singing and just sort of yelling.  And in terms of melody, it's hard to get into a lot of what he delivers here, and frankly, I find it a little bit distracting at times, but overall, I definitely dig the album.

I'd probably give it 3.5 / 5 stars.

Offline Metal

« Reply #170 on: November 25, 2011, 08:54:40 AM »
Here's an interview with Matheos if anyone's interested:

https://www.metalunderground.com/interviews/details.cfm?newsid=72770
Don't know where you live, but if your ever in Berkeley, dinner's on me.  Thanks man!!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #171 on: November 25, 2011, 09:24:05 AM »
Wow, that's very interesting. Sounds like there's something going on between him and Ray.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #172 on: November 25, 2011, 11:17:19 AM »
Wow, that's very interesting. Sounds like there's something going on between him and Ray.

I am also getting that impression. Very curious.

and I also found it interesting that when Jim was asked about Redemption, his response was:

"You know, that’s not really a fair question for me because I don’t really like that kind of music"
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 04:30:55 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: November 26, 2011, 04:32:27 PM »
Wow.  That's a really interesting reaction from Matheos.  Hmm.  Leaves me scratching my head.  And I'm really surprised that Redemption isn't Jim's type of music.  To me, they are quite similar so I would think it would be right up his alley.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: November 27, 2011, 05:57:17 AM »
A progmetal guitarist doesn't like progmetal?  :\