Author Topic: Westboro Baptist Church  (Read 18695 times)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Westboro Baptist Church
« Reply #140 on: January 17, 2011, 03:47:23 PM »
Listening to the arguments, which is just fascinating as hell.  The Snyder's attorney just suggested that if their protest had said "get out of Iraq," then it would have been constitutionally protected.  Their objection is to the specific message [allegedly] directed at their son.  Interesting stance, which I obviously disagree with.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #141 on: January 17, 2011, 09:00:15 PM »
Once again, I agree with everything El Barto has said
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline Voyage 34

« Reply #142 on: January 18, 2011, 12:56:41 PM »
I'm sure most of you have seen this, but just in case, this is probably the funniest thing Michael Moore has ever done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra_fAYl4Th4
"Thank you god...for making me an atheist."
                                                --Ricky Gervais

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #143 on: January 18, 2011, 04:32:25 PM »
I'm sure most of you have seen this, but just in case, this is probably the funniest thing Michael Moore has ever done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra_fAYl4Th4
Fucking awesome!
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #144 on: March 02, 2011, 09:43:00 AM »
8-1 in favor of the WBC.  I know this will bug most of you, but it's nice to know that free speech will still be protected in this country.  I had serious doubts about that.

"Speech is powerful. It can stir people to action, move them to tears of both joy and sorrow, and -- as it did here -- inflict great pain. On the facts before us, we cannot react to that pain by punishing the speaker," Chief Justice John Roberts wrote for the majority
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #145 on: March 02, 2011, 11:27:14 AM »
Basically, the Supreme Court rules that, yes, the Constitution protects your right to be an asshole.

Offline 7thHanyou

« Reply #146 on: March 02, 2011, 12:24:34 PM »
8-1 in favor of the WBC.  I know this will bug most of you, but it's nice to know that free speech will still be protected in this country.  I had serious doubts about that.

"Speech is powerful. It can stir people to action, move them to tears of both joy and sorrow, and -- as it did here -- inflict great pain. On the facts before us, we cannot react to that pain by punishing the speaker," Chief Justice John Roberts wrote for the majority

This is a tremendous victory for our country's founding principles--something you rarely see from the Supreme Court.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #147 on: March 02, 2011, 12:39:52 PM »
Thanks for posting the audio, El Barto.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #148 on: March 02, 2011, 04:10:16 PM »
I guess the question is, where does your right to free speech conflict with a person's right to be able to tune you out.  No matter what's on TV, you can change the channel and it's gone.  The right to free speech isn't the right to be an asshole.  It's the right to free speech.  So why does that right also include the ability to stand outside funerals and protest and harass people?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline 7thHanyou

« Reply #149 on: March 02, 2011, 04:36:42 PM »
I guess the question is, where does your right to free speech conflict with a person's right to be able to tune you out.  No matter what's on TV, you can change the channel and it's gone.  The right to free speech isn't the right to be an asshole.  It's the right to free speech.  So why does that right also include the ability to stand outside funerals and protest and harass people?

Because they're standing on public property.

And yes, the right to free speech is absolutely the right to be an asshole.  That's what we've been fighting for all this time.  Human beings have a tendency to see people who disagree with them as assholes.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #150 on: March 02, 2011, 05:19:10 PM »
What exactly are they protesting? There's a huge difference between signs that say ''down with cheese'' and ''thank god for terrorists''.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #151 on: March 02, 2011, 05:39:42 PM »
Human beings have a tendency to see people who disagree with them as assholes.

I honestly can't tell, are you implying that you don't disagree with the WBC?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline 7thHanyou

« Reply #152 on: March 02, 2011, 06:38:42 PM »

No. Like most Americans, I find the WBC's opinions and methods appalling and morally reprehensible.

I'm just saying that making exceptions for "assholes" is a horrible idea, since it would lead to any unpopular speech being regulated.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #153 on: March 02, 2011, 07:13:27 PM »

No. Like most Americans, I find the WBC's opinions and methods appalling and morally reprehensible.

I'm just saying that making exceptions for "assholes" is a horrible idea, since it would lead to any unpopular speech being regulated.

Oh ok. :)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: March 03, 2011, 05:46:53 AM »
Well, the good news is Fred Phelps is probably going to die of old age soon. And the rest of his clan, in time, will eventually die out.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #155 on: March 03, 2011, 07:34:00 AM »
Their numbers are increasing, though.  Look what one guy has already managed to do in a few generations.  He's got his whole family and extended family brainwashed into his particular brand of psycho-hate.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #156 on: March 03, 2011, 07:35:31 AM »
Yeah, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it all disintegrate once he's not there to be the leader.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #157 on: March 03, 2011, 07:46:27 AM »
One would hope.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #158 on: March 03, 2011, 08:50:47 AM »
I've kind of thought the same thing.  Shirley seems to be the legal brains, but I'm not sure she's capable of being the leader.  Presumably, Fred has that charismatic aspect that's required.  She seems pretty stiff.  There is the possibility that one of the younger ones has that cult-leader quality, though.  The church could conceivably expand in a big way with the right grandson at the helm.  Let's just hope he's of the poisoned applesauce school of thought. 
E.F. Benson

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #159 on: March 03, 2011, 11:33:41 AM »
Yeah, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it all disintegrate once he's not there to be the leader.
Take this with a grain of salt, but they've said they will purposefully continue when old man Phelps kicks the bucket. It was in the documentary Fall from Grace, and El barto said essentially the same thing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #160 on: March 03, 2011, 11:45:15 AM »
El Barto is a member of the WBC?!  Whoa!  :omg:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #161 on: March 03, 2011, 11:54:52 AM »
I think Phelps et al. are sort of the last stance really. If there's any impression I've gotten over the years it's that the younger generation is much more tolerant in these things. And it always takes a generation or two to change people's minds. Old fucks are old fucks, that's never gonna change. Europe made exactly the same transition a few decades ago. Once people realize that they know gays and they're upstanding and very nice people, they realize that it's cheap and dumb to paint all gays in some light that's convenient for the haters to hate them.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #162 on: March 03, 2011, 04:06:10 PM »
I remember watching a talk show years ago which had members of the WBC (Blonde woman and her daughters) and the kids were just as hateful as she was.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #163 on: March 05, 2011, 03:14:14 AM »
the right to free speech is absolutely the right to be an asshole.  That's what we've been fighting for all this time. 
We should all be proud of our scope and ambition.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #164 on: March 05, 2011, 06:24:06 AM »
Heh. I've always found the protection of free speech to be the protection to say something worthwhile, not the drivel that comes out of the WBC.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #165 on: March 05, 2011, 06:49:19 AM »
Heh. I've always found the protection of free speech to be the protection to say something worthwhile, not the drivel that comes out of the WBC.

Well, I assume the point is that it's not the decision of the law to decide what speech is or is not worthwhile.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline 7thHanyou

« Reply #166 on: March 06, 2011, 07:11:54 AM »
the right to free speech is absolutely the right to be an asshole.  That's what we've been fighting for all this time.
We should all be proud of our scope and ambition.

We should. It was assholes that founded the country I live in in the first place, and I'm damn proud of it.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #167 on: March 06, 2011, 10:23:51 PM »

Free speech is limited; it would be nice if hate speech could be argued along the "Yelling 'FIRE!' in a crowded theater" test.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #168 on: March 06, 2011, 10:46:38 PM »

Free speech is limited; it would be nice if hate speech could be argued along the "Yelling 'FIRE!' in a crowded theater" test.

No it wouldn't.  There's an important aspect of free speech that you guys seem to be neglecting.  Just like we don't prohibit people from expressing ideas, we also try not to frighten people away from expressing them.  Speech is only free when you don't fear the legal repercussions of it.  When you start adding more and more restrictions onto it, then people start to worry more about their expression.  You shouldn't have to consult a lawyer every time you want to open your mouth. 
E.F. Benson