Author Topic: john petrucci suspended animation cd  (Read 22361 times)

Offline j

Re: john petrucci suspended animation cd
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2011, 07:36:16 AM »
I like Vai and Satriani, but Suspended Animation is better than any album of theirs I can recall.  Not familiar with Malmsteen, and Planet X and Ozric Tentacles are too different to compare IMO.

I'm not saying that SA is the greatest instrumental album in the history of the universe; of course I agree with you that there is a ton of stuff out there that is better.  But it is a very good album with some very good playing by Petrucci, whether or not you're a fanboy.

-J

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2011, 11:09:31 AM »
i'll put on my impartial earphones for two spins ytsebitsy, if you spin it one or two more times yourself...maybe it's b/c you only gave it 5 spins(?). i know most albums I (capitalized for emphasis, not grammar) get into don't 'click' until somewhere around the fifth listen; if it's faster for you, power to ya.

but as for bozzio levin stevens, yes the second album is fantastic!
...but that first album is dreadful improv garbage (for the most part)

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2011, 12:04:30 PM »
I like the first BLS album.  I got the second one first, because I didn't realize that there was one before it, and I do like it better, but I like the looser, improv feel of the first album, too.  They're different, and it's cool when you get to hear different sides of a band, especially all top-notch players like Bozzio, Levin, and Stevens.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2011, 12:10:59 PM »
All Satriani Albums.(except the one where he sings I guess if we're getting specific)
most by Vai
a few malmstein cd's
All Planet X cd's, and Derek's solo stuff....including the one that Petrucci played...and played better on than his own solo cd.
the Bozzio Levins Stevens discs
most Ozric Tentacles discs.
many if not all of bunny brunnel's stuff especially the CAB discs.
anyhoo...

i could really go on and on.....I highly respect the musical tastes and opinions of everyone at this board...but the love for this cd is really a whole lot of fanboy gushing. I love John too...but come on....put your impartial earphones on for spin or two. It's just "ok".
I agree. Suspended Animation is pretty "meh," in my opinion.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2011, 12:12:33 PM »
i'll put on my impartial earphones for two spins ytsebitsy, if you spin it one or two more times yourself...maybe it's b/c you only gave it 5 spins(?). i know most albums I (capitalized for emphasis, not grammar) get into don't 'click' until somewhere around the fifth listen; if it's faster for you, power to ya.

but as for bozzio levin stevens, yes the second album is fantastic!
...but that first album is dreadful improv garbage (for the most part)

I gave it another hit this afternoon....there are two or three....AMAZING tracks...the rest still does little for me.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2011, 02:29:20 PM »
In my opinion, Suspended Animation knocks most albums on that list out of the park. Especially the Vai albums. Vai lost his touch somewhere around Fire Garden.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2011, 06:43:44 PM »
hey! there ya go. even just three tracks ranked "AMAZING" is pretty decent.

i feel i was harsh on my bozzio levin stevens 1st disc assessment...its possible I only gave THAT album circa 5 listens. maybe i'll giver it a spin here tonight.

as for vai, rumborak, i've never felt he lost it...i believe i like all of ultra zone, ultra world, and real illusions more so than fire garden.
it reminds me how i spun the hell outta real illusion AND suspended animation like 90 for much of the same half year back around the end of 05 / beginning of 06
[also reminds me how i've been waiting forever for real illusions part II as well as petrucci's next output for what seems like forever]

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2011, 04:50:45 AM »
In my opinion, Suspended Animation knocks most albums on that list out of the park. Especially the Vai albums. Vai lost his touch somewhere around Fire Garden.

rumborak

I seem to remember you agreeing with me when the album first came out......where are those archives damnit!
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline kiwiclapton

• It all began with Beatlemania,
  • In the name of God, Eric Clapton and the Slowhand
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2011, 12:22:08 AM »
Rock and Roll.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2011, 04:29:27 AM »
I like Suspended Animation, but it is in no way my favorite instrumental album.  Not even close.  But it's good for what it is.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Psy

« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2011, 07:43:41 AM »
I had a listen yesterday but I still prefer Lalle Larsson's Infinity of Worlds and Chimp Spanner's At the Dream's Edge as instrumental albums.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2011, 10:16:40 AM »
I listened to Suspended Animation a few times and, while the playing is obviously great, I didn't care for the songs at all (for the most part).  I found them very boring and I didn't like the sound of the album.  It sounds way too compressed or something.  Maybe I should listen to it again. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline EstyMaJ

« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2011, 10:21:35 AM »
I listened to Suspended Animation a few times and, while the playing is obviously great, I didn't care for the songs at all (for the most part).  I found them very boring and I didn't like the sound of the album.  It sounds way too compressed or something.  Maybe I should listen to it again. 

This ^^^  exactly how i feel about it i keep trying to listen but only hooked on a couple toons the rest bores me

Offline gabeh1018

« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2011, 11:47:29 AM »
I'd have to say as well that i am not too fond of how the album sounds sonically. I definitely like the album as a whole, but generally only listen maybe 3 tracks from it. I know it's a matter of opinion, but i wouldn't say this outshines vai or satch. Hell, passion and warfare is such a great instrumental guitar album because it's takes the listener places.

Offline dvargas

« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2011, 06:47:44 PM »
I love SA!

I think it's a great album. I think it shows that JP is also into heavier stuff. People always say that with MP gone, it'll be back to progressive... but SA doesn't sound too progressive at all.

On the other hand, it is not my fav instrumental album, that honor,  at least in my collection belongs to Marty Friedman's "Introduction".

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2011, 07:06:54 PM »
as for it not being (or sounding like) a progressive album, i recall petrucci saying around the time of the release that he wanted to stand apart from vai and satch on the G3 tour by writing more progressive pieces than his counterparts.

Offline dvargas

« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2011, 07:16:58 PM »
as for it not being (or sounding like) a progressive album, i recall petrucci saying around the time of the release that he wanted to stand apart from vai and satch on the G3 tour by writing more progressive pieces than his counterparts.

You're right... it is more progressive than Satriani (by far)... I don't know about Vai (don't really like his style that much).

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2011, 11:06:24 AM »
Is there a cover of Purple rain on it?

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2011, 02:08:37 PM »
I just saw this online and it made me laugh:

An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline kiwiclapton

• It all began with Beatlemania,
  • In the name of God, Eric Clapton and the Slowhand
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2011, 02:46:52 AM »
The best, I've had it on my iphone for 2 months, only heard it for the first time 3 months ago. Don't know where I've been, and how I could have missed something like this. We need new stuff !

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2011, 12:01:49 PM »
So I was looking for a Suspended Animation thread and found this one.  I had a Stu Hamm station going on Pandora and "Curve" from Suspended Animation came on.  I've never listened to the album and I had another window up when it came on.  I heard the first 15-20 seconds or so and thought "Hmph.  Must be from a Joe Satriani disc I haven't gotten yet."  I was honestly quite surprised to find that it was not Satriani.  Nearly everything about this song sounds like something Satriani would do.  Not in a bad "What a ripoff!!" kind of way, but in a "Wow, that's eerily similar to the style of a Satriani-ish tune".  Some of the licks here and there are Satriani inspired, but mainly the main melody and backing accompaniment.  That's where it sounds so similar.  Has anyone else thought the same thing?

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2011, 12:13:02 PM »
There's a certain fluidity to some of JP's stuff that reminds me of Satriani.  And I suppose melodies and what the backing band is doing as well.  JP and JS have worked together and presumably influenced each other, so it makes sense.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2011, 12:16:18 PM »
I should really get the album and listen to the rest of it.  I've heard "Curve" and "Glasgow Kiss".

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2011, 12:28:58 PM »
I like it.  I have a playlist of guitar instrumental stuff, mostly Jeff Beck and Joe Satriani, but JP is right in there with them, and holds his own IMO.

Offline Moonchild

• There can be only one! muahahaha
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2011, 03:37:43 PM »
To add that list Chris Polands Return to Metalpolis, most Megadeth era Marty Friedman solo records, Cacophony and Jason Becker I dare say it the best instrumental album ever (Surfing with a Alien and The Extremist in a tied second place.

SA is good but not great.  :tup

Offline PetFish

« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2011, 05:25:15 PM »
All Satriani Albums.(except the one where he sings I guess if we're getting specific)
most by Vai

I whole-heartedly disagree with these statements.  Satch and Vai, while phenomenal 15 years ago, sadly have turned into "buy their stuff just cuz it's them even though it's not great".  They went from 90% of an album being great with 10% throwaways to the polar opposite.  It's funny cuz I think "the one where he sings" is actually my favourite.

The only CD's of theirs I'd rank above Suspended Animation are:

Satch - Surfing and Flying and Time Machine
Vai - Passion and Warfare

I find Satch's songs now to be just improv jams and Vai is more concerned with being weird than writing coherent material.  But I still love them cuz they influenced me so much and I will always support them any way I'm able.

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2011, 08:51:31 PM »
So I was looking for a Suspended Animation thread and found this one.  I had a Stu Hamm station going on Pandora and "Curve" from Suspended Animation came on.  I've never listened to the album and I had another window up when it came on.  I heard the first 15-20 seconds or so and thought "Hmph.  Must be from a Joe Satriani disc I haven't gotten yet."  I was honestly quite surprised to find that it was not Satriani.  Nearly everything about this song sounds like something Satriani would do.  Not in a bad "What a ripoff!!" kind of way, but in a "Wow, that's eerily similar to the style of a Satriani-ish tune".  Some of the licks here and there are Satriani inspired, but mainly the main melody and backing accompaniment.  That's where it sounds so similar.  Has anyone else thought the same thing?

curve has to be the most satch-esque song on there fo sho...i also get a satch vibe outta tunnel vision.

i think this thread bump has answered my dilemma on what to spin next.   :metal

Offline The Hairy Man

« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2011, 09:08:26 AM »
I love this album! Some really solid tunes, easy to get into and great for driving to. Tunnel Vision reminds me a little of some 90's computer game - Streets of Rage - or something along those lines.

Lost Without You is definitely the stand out track for me, surprised no one else has mentioned it here.

Oh, hello all btw.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2011, 11:12:31 AM »
Great album. Even greater played live with MP  :D

I'm hoping to hear the new solo album from JP, even more if it is true that Minnemann will be drumming in it :caffeine:
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2011, 11:32:31 AM »
Oh, hello all btw.

Hello, The Hairy Man.  Welcome to DTF!

Offline jamhet

« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2011, 11:51:24 AM »
Great album. It's better than all of Satriani's wankery and better than most Vai's stuff.

But still behind my fave guitar albums:
Jason Becker's "Perpetual Burn"
Guthrie Govan's "Erotic Cakes"
Tosin Abasi's "Animals As Leaders" as Animals As Leaders
Gordian Knot's self-titled
Ron Jarzombek's "Ink Compatible" as Spastic Ink
Yngwie Malmsteen's "Rising Force"
Fredrik Thordendal's "Sol Niger Within"

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2011, 12:44:26 PM »
The only copy I can find is $99 on Amazon. Anyone have a link to a cheaper copy? Why can't I find it anywhere? I don't think it's out of print... ???
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline kennedymichael

« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2011, 01:17:23 PM »
The only copy I can find is $99 on Amazon. Anyone have a link to a cheaper copy? Why can't I find it anywhere? I don't think it's out of print... ???

I bought my copy from JP's website but this was before all the shake up.  I went there today and it looks like you can't buy anything.  Perhaps a result of the change too.

Sorry this doesn't help because I think this one is a good album.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2011, 02:15:43 PM »
Great album. It's better than all of Satriani's wankery and better than most Vai's stuff.

But still behind my fave guitar albums:
Gordian Knot's self-titled

I'm not discussing the greatness of this album because it kicks ass but how is it a guitar album? I don't understand that part.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline jamhet

« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2011, 03:03:46 PM »
I'm not discussing the greatness of this album because it kicks ass but how is it a guitar album? I don't understand that part.
How is it not?
It has the guitar as the leading instrument, doesn't it?