Author Topic: The Baked Potato  (Read 1654 times)

Offline oh8wrx

• The Sassy Lass from Sassafrass
  • I'm a hoot & a half.
The Baked Potato
« on: January 11, 2011, 03:16:58 PM »
Has anyone ever been to or heard of a place called The Baked Potato in Universal City, CA? It's right across the freeway from Universal Studios.  Anyway, there are bands that play there just about every night and it's a little hole-in-the-wall 'club' I guess you could call it, and occasionally some GREAT musicians play there.
Beer: the cause of AND solution to all of life's problems.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
Re: The Baked Potato
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 05:20:17 PM »
Irrelevant forum. inb4themove

Offline oh8wrx

• I'm a hoot & a half.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 05:27:00 PM »
Well Chad Smith from The Red Hot Chili Peppers is playing there tonight and tomorrow is a fusion band called OHM...consists of Chris Poland (ex-guitarist of Megadeath), Rob Pagliari, and Kofi Baker (who is Ginger Baker's son...Ginger was the drummer for Cream).  OHM is a GREAT band, I would highly recommend seeing them play tomorrow night.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 02:54:11 AM »
Oh really? If it wasn't my league night, I would hit up the show... I almost caught Virgil Donati's band there a few months ago. Oh and I hear their baked potatoes are great.

EDITz: oh and a good friend of mine was robbed at gun point outside of there a couple years ago.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline oh8wrx

• I'm a hoot & a half.
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 09:47:30 AM »
Yeah I was really tempted to see the Donati show but couldn't make it because of class I think.

Not the best area, but if you're traveling in packs, you're good to go :)

Really want to go see OHM tonight but I'm not sure I'll be able to make it OR have someone to go with me...booo

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 12:23:43 PM »
really?! chad smith's their new drummer?! seems weird, kinda.

man, do i ever wanna hear a new album from chris n the boys.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 01:44:18 PM »
We need to have a DTF meet up at the Baked Potato. lol.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline oh8wrx

• I'm a hoot & a half.
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 01:55:13 PM »
Yes! I'm there!

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 01:59:44 PM »
just keep an eye out for a good show

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline oh8wrx

• I'm a hoot & a half.
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 02:39:17 PM »
word.

you can also go to www.thebakedpotato.com and look at the calendar.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 02:40:53 PM »
Was checking it out last night. Scott Henderson would be cool, but I would have to wait until at least next month before I can do anything

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 03:48:13 PM »
The Baked Potato is always mentioned on Tool's website because Volto! plays there a lot and Danny Carey guests a lot.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 04:14:35 PM »
Well Chad Smith from The Red Hot Chili Peppers is playing there tonight and tomorrow is a fusion band called OHM...consists of Chris Poland (ex-guitarist of Megadeath), Rob Pagliari, and Kofi Baker (who is Ginger Baker's son...Ginger was the drummer for Cream).  OHM is a GREAT band, I would highly recommend seeing them play tomorrow night.

OHM is indeed a good band.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 10:11:43 PM »
I really wish they would open one of these up on the east coast.

I've got a CD called Live at the Baked Potato Volume 1 that's about 10 years old. i should really check into see if there are any other volumes of this because I really like the one I have.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 01:08:52 AM »
bump

I'm going to go see ABRAHAM LABORIAL at the Baked Potato on April 29 for my birfday! :D

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline oh8wrx

• I'm a hoot & a half.
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 12:01:20 PM »
awesome man!

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 02:19:22 PM »
Just thought I'd put it out there

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"