Author Topic: The Koran  (Read 3061 times)

Offline AndyDT

The Koran
« on: January 11, 2011, 06:25:54 AM »
I picked up a translation of the Koran to have a look over Xmas but haven't bought it yet. I'd like to concentrate on Hindu texts first.  It seems quite neat the way it was laid out. I've been hearing good things about it. Has anybody read it?

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: The Koran
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 07:03:50 AM »
I picked up a translation of the Koran to have a look over Xmas but haven't bought it yet. I'd like to concentrate on Hindu texts first.  It seems quite neat the way it was laid out. I've been hearing good things about it. Has anybody read it?
I bought one several years ago with every intention of reading it.  Regrettably, it hasn't happened yet, as my other studies just haven't given me the time.  But I will some day.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 07:40:12 AM »
Same here, I've been meaning to read at least some of it. I think it should make a very interesting read since there is no question about the authors or possible modification of the material. The Koran was dictated to and written by scribes during the time of Muhammed.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 10:25:02 AM »
I read a bit of it. It's well written, but unless you REALLY love god, it's not very interesting.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 02:38:25 PM »
The Koran was dictated to and written by scribes during the time of Muhammed.

Yet there exists a discussion on how literal the texts are?  If they were transcribed from Mohamed himself, wouldn't it be the literal word of the prophet and thus God?  

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 02:45:28 PM »
Muhammed is not God. He is a prophet, but prophets only mediate the divine, they themselves aren't. That overlap is unique to Christianity, and in fact one of Islam's criticism of Christianity is that Christianity is not really a monotheistic religion since it ascribes divinity to separate entities. Which frankly, is a pretty good point.

rumborak

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 12:43:56 AM »
Muhammed is not God. He is a prophet, but prophets only mediate the divine, they themselves aren't. That overlap is unique to Christianity,

Yes, sorry I worded that badly.  What I meant; that as a prophet he is tasked with spreading the word of god.  And since they were all written as he himself spoke; they cannot be anything but the literal translation.  

I am asking this because there are a lot of lines from the Koran which divides Muslims deeply, as seen in our world today.  mmmm...

in fact one of Islam's criticism of Christianity is that Christianity is not really a monotheistic religion since it ascribes divinity to separate entities. Which frankly, is a pretty good point.

I've always agreed with this; but try convincing a Christian otherwise.  Both Christianity and Hinduism has a trinity (Father/Son/Holy Spirit and Vishnu, Shiva, and Bramha) and both ascribes a single BEING as the grand entity despite the existence of the trinity  (not to mention the slew of saints and angel denominations...)

Hindu's have hundreds of thousands of deities because they simply serve as representation with a story; nothing more.  There was, is, and always will be ONE single divine being (Buddha calls the presence with this being Nirvana) .  It is why my mother at home as on her altar a crucifix and why at Thanksgiving my family does the Our Father for grace.  Jesus Christ is another deity in the Hindu faith and its the most relatable since we grew up in a Christian country and many of the kids went to Catholic school.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 01:06:41 AM »
You just be sure to tell me and my NRA buddies if it really says in there that the mooslims want to kill god and build shrines to Osama on ground zero.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 04:05:36 AM »
The Gita says Krishna is the one supreme God.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 05:29:38 AM »
in fact one of Islam's criticism of Christianity is that Christianity is not really a monotheistic religion since it ascribes divinity to separate entities. Which frankly, is a pretty good point.

lol how is that a good point?

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 05:51:55 AM »

lol how is that a good point?

I've always agreed with this; but try convincing a Christian otherwise.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 05:55:35 AM »
What separate entities? That's what I'm asking.

And if you say God and Jesus Christ, then that is plainly wrong from the text.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 07:07:40 AM »
What separate entities? That's what I'm asking.

And if you say God and Jesus Christ, then that is plainly wrong from the text.
It's not as clear as you seem to think.  The concept of trinity simply isn't expressed clearly anywhere in the Bible.  There always have been groups of Christians who were non-Trinitarian (including, currently, your pal Neal Morse), and frankly I border on that myself.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 07:39:21 AM »
OK, but their is not implication of polytheism, either. In fact, Jesus says He is a part of the Father, and He cannot do anything apart from the Father.

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 09:38:49 AM »
even the heb term for God in scripture hints at it.  el is singular for god and elohim is plural.  the common term used  for jehovah in scripture is elohim.  it is a singular plural noun like the term herd or family.  it is a reference to one that includes many.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 09:56:34 AM »
OK, but their is not implication of polytheism, either. In fact, Jesus says He is a part of the Father, and He cannot do anything apart from the Father.
Yes, according to John.  There is no such inference anywhere else in the Gospels.

The accusation of polytheism comes from regarding God as God and Jesus as God.
even the heb term for God in scripture hints at it.  el is singular for god and elohim is plural.  the common term used  for jehovah in scripture is elohim.  it is a singular plural noun like the term herd or family.  it is a reference to one that includes many.
It is not intended to be interpreted as a multiplicity of divine persons.  There is no room anywhere is Judaism for anything other than monotheism.  The use of Elohim is seen as the "plural of majesty," much as a British monarch would refer to themselves (the individual) as "we."  Elohim is not evidence of trinity.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 10:09:42 AM by hefdaddy42 »

Online Adami

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 10:00:03 AM »
Hef is indeed correct. It's also worth noting that Elokim is not the only word for god, and that most of the others aren't plural.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 10:02:07 AM »
Essentially, in my humble opinion, the argument that one can have both the cake and eat it, i.e. Jesus was separate from God and still be an integral part of God, completely rests on semantics (as is already visible with the "Elohim is plural" argument). Every time you ask somebody to explain it further, there is a lot of hand-waving and an eventual citing of lines and phrases in the hope the questioner will go away.
At least I find it difficult to marry the fact that Jesus says "God, why have you forsaken me?" with the idea that he IS God too at the same time. If Jesus is so distinctly different from the remainder of God that a) the remainder can "forsake" him and b) he does not know the reason for that forsaking, the two entities only have a tenuous connection at best.

So yes, I find Islam's criticism of Christianity's practice to worship Jesus, Mary and the saints to be polytheism not exactly far off the mark. You also barely ever hear any emphasis on the supposed monotheistic aspect of Christianity, for good reason. Whereas Judaism and Islam really stress that point.

rumborak
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 10:19:40 AM by rumborak »

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 10:47:02 AM »
In fact, Jesus says He is a part of the Father, and He cannot do anything apart from the Father.

Then the notion that "God sent his only son" really has no weight to it?  The tone of the phrase suggests sacrifice; yet according to what you state in the quotes; he (meaning the one being consisting of God and Jesus) sent himself?

You can either admit that:
1) Jesus, God, Holy Spirit (and perhaps through some divine absorption mechanism, the pantheon of saints) all being ONE entity
or
2) Separate beings implying polytheism.

It is illogical to claim both.

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 05:38:07 PM »
Hef is indeed correct. It's also worth noting that Elokim is not the only word for god, and that most of the others aren't plural.

How do Jewish people take the passages where God refers to himself in plural, such as "let us make man in our image" and "let us go down and confuse them"? Are there different interpretations?

wtf is the internet?

Online Adami

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 05:39:16 PM »

How do Jewish people take the passages where God refers to himself in plural, such as "let us make man in our image" and "let us go down and confuse them"? Are there different interpretations?

I have no idea how jewish biblical scholars interpret it. But generally we don't have a problem with it. We just see god (jews, I'm agnostic by the way) as something much more emompassing than modern day christians and so forth.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2011, 07:41:58 PM »

Unless I am wrong, Judaism doesn't view its written documents as infallible. Remember, there is only one God, and the rest of the people, while maybe being "divinely inspired", are just normal people, and thus prone to personal coloring. So, whatever the reason for the plural might be (e.g. displaying superiority of God through the "royal we"), the Christian approach as seeing these single words as an indicator for the internal structure of their deity, is unwarranted.

rumborak