Author Topic: I find it near impossible to get into music before the 90s.  (Read 11059 times)

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
Re: I find it near impossible to get into music before the 90s.
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2011, 10:42:35 PM »
Are you Sonata?

Nope. I have no trouble with the sound quality of those days, really.

I just have a big thing for more modern underground music as it turns out. It's not that I can't or won't get into music from before the 90's, it's just that I'm 2 indie 4 u

All the cool indie kids listen to Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours".

JUST SAYIN

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2011, 10:43:31 PM »
Ironically.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2011, 10:52:50 PM »
People are bashing modern production, but I think the crispness and technical accuracy of the mixing really amplified the skill level of the players, and makes the songs sound more composed and less of a jam
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2011, 10:55:18 PM »
But, while it amplifies the skill level, it can sometimes detract from the mood of the song, with every instrument having it's own niche instead of blending together like they sometimes should.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2011, 11:15:29 PM »
Can you provide an example?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2011, 11:22:06 PM »
There is no way that I believe that production values of today are better than those of yesteryear.  Many of the records from the 70s and 80s are among the best sounding records ever.  Sure, there are bands nowadays that do a great job in that area, but there are way many more who do not.  Far too many CDs nowadays are compressed to death and don't have much in the way of dynamics. 

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2011, 11:24:33 PM »
People are bashing modern production, but I think the crispness and technical accuracy of the mixing really amplified the skill level of the players, and makes the songs sound more composed and less of a jam

How does the MIXING job increase the players' skill?  I'm confused at that point.  Actually, I'm just confused by this post in general.  Explain, please?

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2011, 11:26:37 PM »
I also find it odd how you knock old school production yet praise those songs live presence when at that time bands were recording live in the studio or the albums were mixed almost like live recordings.

It's not often that I compliment The Wall but there are moments on that album where you can feel how empty the songs are there is so much space. On a lot of modern albums even the silence sounds compressed.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2011, 11:27:18 PM »
Music ain't all about skill.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2011, 12:31:53 AM »

How does the MIXING job increase the players' skill?  I'm confused at that point.  Actually, I'm just confused by this post in general.  Explain, please?
It doesn't affect the skill level.  Good production just makes the skill level more apparent.

Don't think I am blaming the producers of the day.  I'm sure they did the best with what they had.  Technology has just improved, is all.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2011, 12:36:40 AM »
One of the biggest problems is the number of tracks you can have at once. When it was just 4 or 8 tracks you had to get creative and work with what you had get that sound out of those number of tracks. Nowadays with an infinite number of tracks on any given song it's much easier for a band to not think twice about adding another layer of guitar or something and completely oversaturate the sound.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2011, 12:59:19 AM »
Wow. This thread. Don't know what else to say ???
Massive fail, perhaps? Music from all eras WILL sound good, yes that includes the 30s, 40s and 50s. Shit.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2011, 01:18:42 AM »
I agree with OP, maybe 100%, the soundquality can sometimes really kill the music

Same here, there's a lot of good things from the 70's and 80's I can't get into because of the weak sound quality compared to the more recent music in my collection, it has to super impress me to be something I listen to regularly, Pink Floyd is the only example I can think of, keeping in my mind that I'm only listening to their remastered box set since it was released a few years back, I haven't listened to the original issues of PF albums in a long long time.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline MS394

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2011, 02:05:30 AM »
Steely Dan is a band with amazing production and sound quality IMO, with many of their albums released in the 70s.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2011, 06:03:38 AM »
The whole "older albums sound better than modern production" thing is a total myth. There are examples of bad modern production bringing down even great albums (Death Magnetic :( ), but a good modern production can't be touched by anything, sorry. I understand older albums have their magic, but there's no way they sound better. Take anything mixed by Jens Bogren and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2011, 06:16:47 AM »
The Wall sounds great no matter how you slice it, but definitely for you try to find a remastered version.

As the Beatles go, ironically, they sound much much better in mono than in stereo. It may sound crisper, but it loses the spirit of the track.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline jsem

« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2011, 07:43:31 AM »
Steely Dan is a band with amazing production and sound quality IMO, with many of their albums released in the 70s.
Yup. No one can complain about the production on Aja. FREAKING AMAZING ALBUM

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2011, 08:38:05 AM »
Frankly, if I may say so, the OP poster is a direct product of the 90s and 00s, where music was more a technology war than anything else. Compression, digital effects etc., those things taught some listeners that music has to be a surgically constructed entity, sort of a Joan Rivers of audio.

My suggestion would be to try to break out of that notion. The 70s were hands-down the best era for music, where there was a confluence of tradition, experimentation and maturity happening that producing a stunning array of good music.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2011, 09:13:43 AM »
I've always found that most of today's music does not lend for a song to breath.  That my also do to production and the "wall of sound" style of today but an instrument doesn't have to fill every beat or ever nook and cranny of a song.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2011, 09:52:34 AM »
For me the cut-off point is somewhere in the late 60s actually. Once you hit the "moptop" barrier the music gets uninteresting to me.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline jsem

« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2011, 10:01:22 AM »
For me the cut-off point is somewhere in the late 60s actually. Once you hit the "moptop" barrier the music gets uninteresting to me.

rumborak

You're missing out on good music. Just saying.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2011, 10:24:55 AM »

But, while it amplifies the skill level, it can sometimes detract from the mood of the song, with every instrument having it's own niche instead of blending together like they sometimes should.

I think dtismajesty is spot on, and BrotherH somewhat answers his own question with the word "jam".  Back in the 70's when the recording of instruments and sections wasn't as "compartmentalized" as it is today, bands like Black Sabbath, UFO, Hendrix and Cream would go into the studio and record a song as if they were jamming during a live show.   2 takes, maybe 3 at the most, and they would lay the track down and move on to the next.   It gave the music a much more spontaneous and organic feel. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2011, 10:34:28 AM »
You mean you don't like the old blues before the 50's. I like the way those sound it sounds like they're singing out of a can yes but you can feel the emotion. I could give a rats ass about sound quality, as long as they play live.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2011, 02:49:15 PM »
You mean you don't like the old blues before the 50's. I like the way those sound it sounds like they're singing out of a can yes but you can feel the emotion. I could give a rats ass about sound quality, as long as they play live.

Yeah pretty much.  I mentioned that a few posts back but no-one cares about what I have to say :sadpanda:

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2011, 02:55:48 PM »
Join the club.

Offline jsem

« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2011, 02:56:27 PM »
I was the first to mention that in this thread. Lol.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2011, 02:58:23 PM »

I think dtismajesty is spot on, and BrotherH somewhat answers his own question with the word "jam".  Back in the 70's when the recording of instruments and sections wasn't as "compartmentalized" as it is today, bands like Black Sabbath, UFO, Hendrix and Cream would go into the studio and record a song as if they were jamming during a live show.   2 takes, maybe 3 at the most, and they would lay the track down and move on to the next.   It gave the music a much more spontaneous and organic feel. 
This is the most thought provoking post for me.  But I guess that's it.  Early rock/metal was very jamlike, and recent stuff, especially prog, is very composed and organized like classical music.  So guess I just don't like jams.

Offline jsem

« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2011, 02:59:07 PM »
Dream Theater songs are formed from jams.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2011, 03:01:15 PM »
Join the club.

No you join MY club.  Sign-in is on my boobies.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2011, 03:03:34 PM »
Dream Theater songs are formed from jams.
Yes, but more than one or two like Ludwig Van was saying.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2011, 03:20:50 PM »
I don't think he was saying that the songs are composed/written from the results of a few jams, but that the studio versions you hear on the album were recorded from only several plays through of the song, several jams, in the studio.

So rather than the guitarist sitting down and playing the intro on his own thirty times and choosing the best track, and the drummer and bass player and so on doing the same, the whole band got together, played the songs together a few times, and they chose their tracks from those.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2011, 03:23:17 PM »
^what he said
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member

Offline Ħ

« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2011, 03:38:42 PM »
Oh ok...perhaps that's why it sounds muddy?  But it does have that live, raw sound.  I guess you pick your poison

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2011, 03:41:54 PM »
If you want muddy listen to Master Of Reality or Sabbath Vol 4, now THAT'S muddy, they sound like total shit.

On this note I don't think much else was muddy.