Author Topic: Recommend me some Rush!!!  (Read 7192 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Recommend me some Rush!!!
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2010, 10:25:44 PM »
The key to understanding Rush is start at the beginning.
Listen to all of it chronologically. The band essentially grew up musically in public.

I just saw a recommendation elsewhere that suggested starting at the beginning and advancing 1 album per month to build up the anticipation like we all had to when it was new.  Thought this was a pretty nifty idea.  It'd also allow the opportunity to wear the good ones out and be disappointed in the weaker ones. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2010, 10:36:18 PM »
The key to understanding Rush is start at the beginning.
Listen to all of it chronologically. The band essentially grew up musically in public.

I just saw a recommendation elsewhere that suggested starting at the beginning and advancing 1 album per month to build up the anticipation like we all had to when it was new.  Thought this was a pretty nifty idea.  It'd also allow the opportunity to wear the good ones out and be disappointed in the weaker ones. 

Also, if you start with the debut next month in January, you'll likely be caught up when Clockwork Angels is released.

Actually, you could probably do something like this:
January: Rush, Fly By Night
February: Caress Of Steel, 2112
March: All The World's A Stage, A Farewell To Kings
April: Hemispheres, Permanent Waves
May: Moving Pictures, Exit...Stage Left
June: Signals, Grace Under Pressure
July: Power Windows, Hold Your Fire
August: A Show Of Hands, Presto
September: Roll The Bones, Counterparts
October: Test For Echo, Different Stages
November: Vapor Trails, Rush In Rio
December: Feedback, R30
January: Snakes & Arrows, Snakes & Arrows Live
February: Caravan/BU2B, and hopefully by then, the rest of Clockwork Angels

2 albums a month, and for as cheap as they go, seems fairly reasonable! It would be a great build-up to the new album!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2010, 11:25:47 PM »
I would not recommend starting at the beginning unless you're really OCD about that kind of stuff.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2010, 11:36:12 PM »
I would not recommend starting at the beginning unless you're really OCD about that kind of stuff.
I agree with this, just like I would not have a DT noob start with WDADU.  I mean, I love Rush's debut, but it's a far cry (:neverusethis:) from what they would become. 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2010, 06:26:29 AM »
Power Windows
Permanent Waves
Moving Pictures
This exactly.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2010, 04:01:57 PM »
I agree with this, just like I would not have a DT noob start with WDADU.  I mean, I love Rush's debut, but it's a far cry (:neverusethis:) from what they would inherit
Fixed.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2010, 09:23:18 PM »
I agree with this, just like I would not have a DT noob start with WDADU.  I mean, I love Rush's debut, but it's a far cry (:neverusethis:) from what they would inherit
Fixed.

Nice :tup

Offline jsem

« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2010, 01:45:44 PM »
A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves.

THE GREATEST SERIES OF ALBUMS EVER!

But Moving Pictures is a good starting point as well.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2011, 09:19:01 PM »
I agree with this, just like I would not have a DT noob start with WDADU.  I mean, I love Rush's debut, but it's a far cry (:neverusethis:) from what they would become. 

Exactly my point.

By doing this you get an understanding of how this (mostly) linear transformation takes place.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2011, 11:55:29 PM »
But that means they have to suffer though some pretty subpar stuff before they get to 2112.  It'll make listening to them seem like a chore, which should never be the case.  Starting someone off with what you feel is their best or the best example of their sound is a great way to get someone into a band because then they WANT to delve deeper into the catalogue, and if they happen to find a stinker along the way, they're not entirely discouraged.  I bought TFE fairly early in my Rush fandom, but soldiered on because I knew they were capable of better music, because I knew they could do it. 

Starting someone off with the debut is just telling that person "I know this album is fairly mediocre, but the band gets better!  Trust me!"  However, if you give them evidence that they can write amazing music (like Moving Pictures), you let them experience some of their best stuff first hand, and they'll be more enthusiastic because, obviously, you recommended the album because you see something great in it, and they'll want to listen to it more to participate in that something great with you.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2011, 08:56:27 PM »
But that means they have to suffer though some pretty subpar stuff before they get to 2112.  It'll make listening to them seem like a chore, which should never be the case.  Starting someone off with what you feel is their best or the best example of their sound is a great way to get someone into a band because then they WANT to delve deeper into the catalogue, and if they happen to find a stinker along the way, they're not entirely discouraged.  I bought TFE fairly early in my Rush fandom, but soldiered on because I knew they were capable of better music, because I knew they could do it. 

Starting someone off with the debut is just telling that person "I know this album is fairly mediocre, but the band gets better!  Trust me!"  However, if you give them evidence that they can write amazing music (like Moving Pictures), you let them experience some of their best stuff first hand, and they'll be more enthusiastic because, obviously, you recommended the album because you see something great in it, and they'll want to listen to it more to participate in that something great with you.

Maybe I have my fanboy hat on, but I don't consider it "suffering" or a "chore" to listen to anything pre-2112. (Or pretty much anything else but maybe a half-dozen Rush songs). There's some sub-par stuff on the first album, Need Some Love being one (and perhaps In The Mood). But the passion and energy that you find on 2112 is still on the first album. And by listening to that first album (even without Neil) you can respect 2112 that much more knowing where it came from. The growth continues on "Fly By Night" and "Caress of Steel" (which I actually prefer more than 2112 depending on what day it is).

Also, I think "Test For Echo" is a really good album. It's not perfect - Carve Away The Stone, anyone?

There is some amazing music of "Test for Echo." Music I'd put right up there with Moving Pictures such as Half The World, Driven, Totem, Resist, Time and Motion, Colour Of Right. Yet, most people would never suggest that one.

Maybe of lesser importance, one might be even more rewarded when they reached Moving Pictures after hearing the first album.  "Wow, they started like this and through hard work and determination they managed to record Moving Pictures." and so on.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2011, 11:24:20 PM »
I also don't find anything wrong with starting with the early albums, even if I wouldn't recommend starting there.  The youthful energy and edginess that is heard on those early albums has a certain charm that you really don't hear once they found their way, so to speak. 

I remember when I was just getting into Rush - I had heard MP, PoW, RtB, 2112 and PeW, plus a few other odd songs here and there, but nothing pre-2112 - and a friend made me a mix tape for my car of the best of early Rush.  The first song on Side 1 was "What You're Doing" from the debut, and the power of that song about knocked my socks off.  :metal

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2011, 10:40:42 AM »
once they found their way,

YEAAAAAAAH OH YEAH

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2011, 02:37:47 PM »
their latest album snakes and arrows is great!  one of their best in a long time, but they are all great

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2011, 03:53:40 PM »
I am a huge Rush fan and have everything they have released.  When I first got into them via the radio, I didn't know where to start.  So I purchased "Chronicles" and started buying the seperate cd's based on that.  So I think a greatest hits collection can be a fairly good starting point for bands that have such an extensive history.  If I was to recommend three single cd's, I would pick 1) Moving Pictures 2) Signals ("Subdivisions" is my favorite Rush song) 3) 2112