Author Topic: US Congresswoman and others shot  (Read 15470 times)

Offline ddtonfire

Re: US Congresswoman and others shot
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2011, 06:22:07 PM »
I was just joking about the Hemingway book, but back on topic:

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2011, 07:16:41 PM »
To obtain a gun people should have to go through psychiatric evaluation.  I don't see the harm in that.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2011, 07:41:29 PM »
I know some people from that area.  Will they release the names of the victims or is that usually kept confidential?
Nobody wants Mom and Dad to find out that their son was killed by watching the evening news.  They generally don't release the names of victims until after the relatives have been notified.

I checked into it and no one I know was killed.  But they haven't released the names of those wounded...so.....
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2011, 09:26:48 PM »
As far as we are aware, no one else we know was shot, although there were two other ladies who are very close to my wifes family who were there.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2011, 09:30:25 PM »
To obtain a gun people should have to go through psychiatric evaluation.  I don't see the harm in that.

Unless you're in Arizona where my friend tells me the gun laws are extremely lax.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2011, 09:36:35 PM »

Unless you're in Arizona where my friend tells me the gun laws are extremely lax.

That's why I said should.  It should be implemented for all states.  It just seems logical to me that only sane people are allowed to carry guns.  From what I hear, this guy should be in an institution.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2011, 10:40:40 PM »
From what I hear, this guy should be in an institution.

Which part of what you've heard makes you think that?

wtf is the internet?

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2011, 11:26:20 PM »
I'm having trouble finding the article, but they were reporting that his unrest with the political system were based off of delusions and incoherent ramblings.  Paranoia over conspiracy theories and whatnot.  Then he goes out and shoots almost 20 people.  Sounds insane to me.  That's what I've gathered through reading about the guy.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2011, 11:40:01 PM »
I'm having trouble finding the article, but they were reporting that his unrest with the political system were based off of delusions and incoherent ramblings. 

Based on his Youtube videos, I'd say that's more than spot-on.

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2011, 02:27:14 AM »
I don't see any connection to his intellect/ideas with his crime. And this is not a purely political crime as the media is making it out to be. He asked a weird question to Rep. Giffords three years ago and didn't get the answer he desired, which would lead me to say it was more of a crime based on his emotions rather than a crime carried out in accordance with his general political opinions. He was probably emotionally or socially unstable but all I've read tells me that he was beyond average on an intellectual and academic level.

wtf is the internet?

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2011, 02:56:21 AM »
Paul Krugman is a fucking moron, in case you were wondering.

https://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/08/assassination-attempt-in-arizona/
You know that Republicans will yell about the evils of partisanship whenever anyone tries to make a connection between the rhetoric of Beck, Limbaugh, etc. and the violence I fear we’re going to see in the months and years ahead. But violent acts are what happen when you create a climate of hate.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2011, 02:58:19 AM »
He may be drawing a false connection as many other liberals are, but I still find rhetoric like "relock and reload" to be pretty disgusting.

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2011, 03:29:11 AM »
Paul Krugman is a fucking moron, in case you were wondering.

Who?

wtf is the internet?

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2011, 03:38:36 AM »
He may be drawing a false connection as many other liberals are, but I still find rhetoric like "relock and reload" to be pretty disgusting.
I agree. But I find it pathetic that the initial reaction of so many influential people was politically motivated. I mean, fuck, can't we at least take a break from politics when people are murdered?

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2011, 05:54:00 AM »
Are you kidding? That's the prime time for someone to try to get their political point made.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2011, 06:49:52 AM »
Well, it's only natural for the attempted assassination of a member of congress to spur a discussion about politics. And, honestly, when a government official gets shot in the head we, as active citizens, really ought to ask "why?". But I agree that certain figures on the left really need to stop making this into something it's not. I strongly disagree with the Republicans and right wing media. Would it be sickly gratifying for me to be able to pin this event on the right wing media in order to reinforce my own opinions about people like Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck? Sure. But no, I'm not really interesting in making half-assed arguments and saying brash things which the Republicans I disagree with will be able to correctly refute in seconds anyway.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2011, 07:06:28 AM »
I don't see any connection to his intellect/ideas with his crime. And this is not a purely political crime as the media is making it out to be. He asked a weird question to Rep. Giffords three years ago and didn't get the answer he desired, which would lead me to say it was more of a crime based on his emotions rather than a crime carried out in accordance with his general political opinions. He was probably emotionally or socially unstable but all I've read tells me that he was beyond average on an intellectual and academic level.
No one has said anything about his intellect.  People aren't institutionalized because they are stupid.  Intelligence has nothing to do with mental disorders or mental instability.

This guy is a loony.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2011, 07:35:12 AM »
I feel like this situation is summed up perfectly with Chris Rock's stand-up where he asks:

"Whatever happened to crazy?"

As mentioned above, this guy is a loony.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2011, 07:56:56 AM »
No one has said anything about his intellect.  People aren't institutionalized because they are stupid.  Intelligence has nothing to do with mental disorders or mental instability.

Uh, just in my defense;

People who believe Alex Jones can probably be made to believe anything.

Not to mention that the definition of "loon" is "a silly or foolish person," which connotes plenty of stupidity, but that really wasn't the point of my post.

wtf is the internet?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2011, 08:01:09 AM »
"Loon" and "loony" are equivalent to "lunatic."  A crazy person.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2011, 08:07:30 AM »
John Stewart = wisdom

https://tv.gawker.com/5730178/

wtf is the internet?

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2011, 07:20:43 PM »
Have you ever watched videos of their protests? I'm pretty sure yelling at people in the parking lot on the way to see their 9 year old daughter buried can be considered "disruption." The way you're posting makes it sound like you think they just stand their quietly tucked away with their signs.
I think Barto's right about this. We can parse the details forever, but I think it's better to be cautious when giving "the man" authority to restrict speech.
Those guys might be creepy as hell, but I've never really been convinced by the argument that taking away the freedom of fucktards like the Westboro Baptist Church would begin a slippery slope that would put all free-speech into jeopardy.
Really?  Who gets to determine who are and aren't fucktards? 
A very valid question.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2011, 07:21:16 PM »
john stewart totally nailed the situation... I wish more newscasters could be like him.

Also, more WBC discussion here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=19795.0

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2011, 07:22:15 PM »
Remember when El Barto and Mel Gibson here didn't agree on everything?

Oh those were the days.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2011, 12:28:19 AM »
Remember when El Barto and Mel Gibson here didn't agree on everything?

Oh those were the days.
I think it's coincidence. We're just discussing things as of late that cynics and libertarians can agree on.

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy

wtf is the internet?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: January 12, 2011, 02:38:22 AM »
Though I'm pro-gun control, if I new nuts like that could buy guns at Walmart in my state I'd be packing too.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #97 on: January 12, 2011, 03:49:24 AM »

Wtf, all of a sudden people need guns.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-01-11/glock-pistol-sales-surge-in-aftermath-of-shooting-of-arizona-s-giffords.html
It's wonderful to see the anti-gun cavalry out in full force. Can we please find out the details before using the shooting to accomplish political goals?

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #98 on: January 12, 2011, 12:13:12 PM »
Arizona needs better gun laws holy shit.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #99 on: January 12, 2011, 12:59:26 PM »
Arizona needs better gun laws holy shit.

https://www.theonion.com/articles/shooting-suspect-released-after-not-breaking-any-a,18809/

TUCSON, AZ—Jared Lee Loughner was released from custody this afternoon when it was determined that the suspect—accused of a shooting spree that left six dead and 14 injured, including Rep. Gabrielle Giffords—had not technically broken any Arizona state laws. "While Loughner is clearly a deranged madman who, with this heinous, tragic act, has proved to be a danger to himself and others, he has not explicitly violated any statutes currently on the books in Arizona," Pima County Attorney Barbara LaWall said of the man whom witnesses saw murdering a 9-year-old girl and a federal judge. "We can only hope that if he acts out again, another Arizona citizen will be legally carrying a concealed firearm and be able to stop him." LaWall told reporters that the only way her state would have any legal recourse in the brutal slayings would be if Loughner were Mexican.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #100 on: January 12, 2011, 01:03:46 PM »
That's true, but it doesn't solve the problem.  There are guns everywhere in this country.  Whack jobs will obtain them legally or not.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #101 on: January 12, 2011, 01:05:30 PM »
The newspapers really, really want this guy to be a crazy conservative. Their evidence? "Well, a lot of people on the left think it's true."

https://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-arizona-shooting-extremism-20110112,0,7697607.story
"What you can see across the board in his writings is the idea that you can't trust the government — that the government engages in mind control against its citizens," said Mark Potok of the Southern Poverty Law Center, which has long monitored the radical right.

This is no better than the republicans who rambled on about Obama's citizenship.

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2011, 02:04:43 PM »
Yea, I was surprised at that Krugman article; I normally enjoy his op eds but my god, what shortsightedness!

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #103 on: January 12, 2011, 02:33:31 PM »
Krugman is usually out there (in my opinion, of course), but I believe he hits a new low with his article on this subject. There is no evidence that this guy is a right-winger, he's just a crazy, mentally-unstable person who didn't get an answer he wanted from the congresswomen. Crazy, through and through.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #104 on: January 12, 2011, 04:24:52 PM »