Author Topic: US Congresswoman and others shot  (Read 15473 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: US Congresswoman and others shot
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2011, 08:28:07 AM »
You know, you can't do much about people being loons. However, I would hope one can do something about loons having access to guns.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2011, 08:40:47 AM »
We're just pointing out the mutual level of insanity.

... I'll ask just one more time. Why mention Alex Jones over all the other type of loons I already mentioned?

I just told you and you even quoted it. I honestly have no idea what you're driving at here. Alex Jones is a nutjob. People who listen to him are nutjobs. This guy is a nutjob. Maybe he listens to Alex Jones, maybe he doesn't. The point was that this guy probably has been nurtured by more than Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin's playful, violence-themed trolls of US politics.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2011, 08:55:28 AM »
As sad as the occasion is, the good outcome of this will be that people realize what base Palin and the like are operating in, i.e. what type of people they are targeting. In fact, it's almost better this way, since a controlled Palin base could do more damage than one that can't keep their trigger still.

rumborak

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2011, 09:12:21 AM »
Was the base ever actually not obvious? These are the people who give you a weapon and then claim that health and education are commodities, gays don't have the same rights, and walls need to be built to keep poor foreigners out.

...And that's the mainstream.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2011, 09:30:30 AM »
I don't think the extreme end of Palin's base was really that obvious. Thing is now, Palin is inextricably connected to a loony murderer who bought into her drivel. I think for example a lot of women who previously bought into her "power woman" image will now say "Gee, I don't want to be part of THIS!". It also takes the wind out of the sails of the people who had been claiming the Tea Party isn't an extremist party.

rumborak

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2011, 09:38:24 AM »
I don't think the guy is a Palin supporter.  Have I missed something?  I thought he was a loony anarcho-leftist.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2011, 09:40:52 AM »
Yeah, I haven't seen anything that indicated the guy was even conservative; his youtube videos read like some new-age conspiracy theorist, not a normal right wing whacko. The fact that his only favorited video was of a guy burning an american flag says a lot as well.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2011, 09:47:38 AM »
Sorry, I had misunderstood something in the news coverage. Yeah, I guess currently the connection is just that the victim was on Palin's graph of people to "target".

rumborak

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2011, 10:00:20 AM »
I know some people from that area.  Will they release the names of the victims or is that usually kept confidential?
Nobody wants Mom and Dad to find out that their son was killed by watching the evening news.  They generally don't release the names of victims until after the relatives have been notified.

I did see one reference to him attending a Tea Party rally, but I don't know if it was real or bullshit, and frankly it doesn't matter.  This guys clearly nutty beyond any political ideology.  Any political beliefs he might have are inconsequential in this case. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2011, 10:00:32 AM »
OK, since I wad the one who originally mentioned Jones:

One of this guys major things is currency/gold standard/etc.  I thought that this was one of Jones' big things as well (perhaps I'm confused with someone else?).
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2011, 10:07:38 AM »
One of this guys major things is currency/gold standard/etc.  I thought that this was one of Jones' big things as well (perhaps I'm confused with someone else?).

Ron Paul.

OH MY GOD IT'S RON PAUL'S FAULT
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2011, 01:46:46 PM »
Yeah, I haven't seen anything that indicated the guy was even conservative;

I don't understand how the guy being a conservative would in any way tie him to Sarah Palin, Republican leadership, or any pro-republican talk show hosts.

Mainly because none of the above are conservative.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2011, 02:01:16 PM »
Nick, what is the point of your post? I can only surmise that we're supposed to ask now "Gee, if the Republicans aren't conservative, who IS a true conservative then?!"

rumborak

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2011, 05:52:34 PM »
Was the base ever actually not obvious? These are the people who give you a weapon and then claim that health and education are commodities, gays don't have the same rights, and walls need to be built to keep poor foreigners out.

Holy fucking shit PC, did you even read anything about this guy? If there even is a base at all it's not what you want to believe it is. Maybe next time it will be a right-wing nut job, okay?

wtf is the internet?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2011, 05:52:45 PM »
Yeah, I haven't seen anything that indicated the guy was even conservative;

I don't understand how the guy being a conservative would in any way tie him to Sarah Palin, Republican leadership, or any pro-republican talk show hosts.

Mainly because none of the above are conservative.

Like I said a few posts back, these words are starting to get outdated. Personally, I find nothing 'conservative' about a movement that suggests, for example, a complete melt-down of the world financial system as an alternative to government regulation that would accomplish the same goals with much less draconian consequences.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2011, 05:56:34 PM »

Holy fucking shit PC, did you even read anything about this guy? If there even is a base at all it's not what you want to believe it is. Maybe next time it will be a right-wing nut job, okay?

Are you even following the discussion, or are you just yelling at people based on stuff you pull out of context?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2011, 06:04:05 PM »

Are you even following the discussion, or are you just yelling at people based on stuff you pull out of context?

This post brought to you by the letter S as in SNAP!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2011, 06:06:19 PM »

I'm trying to make you feel ashamed for making posts shitty beyond belief.

wtf is the internet?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2011, 06:15:30 PM »
Um, thanks for insulting me and cursing at me. But, again, are you even following the discussion? Or are you just using stuff you pull out of context as an excuse to abuse other posters?

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2011, 06:23:41 PM »
Yes, I'm following the discussion and doing my own research. I was sleeping between my posts on this page and the last. I understand you have strong opinions but at least take back what you said about it being obvious where this guy's base is.

wtf is the internet?

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2011, 06:26:32 PM »

I'm trying to make you feel ashamed for making posts shitty beyond belief.

Well please don't. Make your points, cross examine others all you want but there's no need to resort to this kind of thing.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2011, 06:43:40 PM »
Yes, I'm following the discussion and doing my own research. I was sleeping between my posts on this page and the last. I understand you have strong opinions but at least take back what you said about it being obvious where this guy's base is.

But I never said that his base was obvious. I was making a general comment on rumborak's point about the Sarah Palin base. See the post directly above mine:

As sad as the occasion is, the good outcome of this will be that people realize what base Palin and the like are operating in, i.e. what type of people they are targeting. In fact, it's almost better this way, since a controlled Palin base could do more damage than one that can't keep their trigger still.

rumborak

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2011, 07:01:25 PM »
Haha oh man. I give up, your unrelenting attitude is a merit in and of itself.

wtf is the internet?

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2011, 09:32:58 PM »
Both of you guys need to give up.

Ack, XJ just commented on this, so here is something not so subtle. Stop the commentary about other posters. Your backhanded comments, and last minute jabs need to stop.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2011, 04:25:16 PM »
After checking out this kids website (which I dare not post here), he really does seem like a nut. I tried watching a video where he outlines his "thoughts" and all I got from it was that he had some great concert with 1.) 2012, 2.) the government 'brainwashing' you with the English language itself and 3.) The Constitution 4.) money that's backed by real gold and silver. On his Youtube "favorite books": Animal Farm, Brave New World, The Wizard Of OZ, Aesop Fables, The Odyssey, Alice Adventures Into Wonderland, Fahrenheit 451, Peter Pan, To Kill A Mockingbird, We The Living, Phantom Toll Booth, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Pulp,Through The Looking Glass, The Communist Manifesto, Siddhartha, The Old Man And The Sea, Gulliver's Travels, Mein Kampf, The Republic, and Meno.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2011, 04:31:24 PM »
What's wrong with The Old Man and the Sea:-[

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2011, 04:38:53 PM »
Nothing. The kid had serious issues. He's part English major, part Alex Jones, part Ron Paul, part Timothy McVeigh, just a fucked-up version of them all.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2011, 05:16:53 PM »
Once you think the English language, one of the most amorphous and ill-defined languages in the world, is a tool of government control, you hit the end of the rope.
Question is, as usual, why the guy had access to a gun.

rumborak

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2011, 05:17:50 PM »
What's wrong with The Old Man and the Sea:-[

The only book in there that's disturbing to see in a favorite book list is Mein Kampf. As far as I can tell he's just a smart kid, smarter than me when I was 22. And Alex Jones isn't really a good person to name who's in favor of a gold standard. The economists who talk on his show are all smart people. Max Keiser, who I'm particularly fond of, has some strong views but doesn't subscribe to any conspiracy theories.

And off topic but

Best album of 2010

wtf is the internet?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2011, 05:21:14 PM »
Me and ack agree about something  :eek :eek :eek

Dammit, ack, suddenly I want to hug you. lol.

Offline ehra

« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2011, 05:29:49 PM »
Once you think the English language, one of the most amorphous and ill-defined languages in the world, is a tool of government control, you hit the end of the rope.
Question is, as usual, why the guy had access to a gun.

rumborak

I don't know much about the whole thing but I heard during an interview that no kind of report was filed for the incident with his college so it wouldn't have shown up on the background check. And I don't think checking people's youtube accounts is routine procedure. So with those two things being off the records, there wasn't anything that pointed towards him being a lunatic.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2011, 05:34:05 PM »
I'm pretty sure Arizona is one of the easiest places to obtain a fire arm. A girl I know goes to school there and says people are packing heat all the time.

Offline ehra

« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2011, 05:38:01 PM »
That could be a large part of it too.

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2011, 05:38:42 PM »
Me and ack agree about something  :eek :eek :eek

Dammit, ack, suddenly I want to hug you. lol.
:D

wtf is the internet?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2011, 06:16:11 PM »
If he had never been reported for anything and never been arrested for anything, there was no reason for him not to be able to get a gun.  It sounds like if we are going to point a finger at anyone, maybe it should be this guy's parents for not having him examined earlier.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.