Author Topic: US Congresswoman and others shot  (Read 15472 times)

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
Re: US Congresswoman and others shot
« Reply #105 on: January 12, 2011, 05:09:33 PM »
That's right, I said it. Anyone who thinks good old-fashioned American bigotry and racism are not the core motivation for a vast majority of these so-called "revolutionaries" should get their heads examined. You've heard of the "elephant in the middle of the room?" Well, this is the burning cross in the middle of the room, and no amount of spin will douse those flames.

he mad

wtf is the internet?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #106 on: January 12, 2011, 05:30:34 PM »
I think the issues that some of these commentators are bringing up are valid issues that need to be discussed.  However, to say that this loon did what he did because of a particular political leaning (either right or left) is just not correct.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #107 on: January 13, 2011, 07:18:33 AM »
We don't anything about why he did it.  It could be politically motivated or it may not be.  We don't know what is correct and what isn't.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: January 13, 2011, 10:52:14 AM »
You know I was thinking and this guy pretty much almost killed Gifford.  In fact its pretty much a miracle that she lived.  Is attempted murder the same punishment as murder?  In this case I feel like it should be.  I mean he pretty much pulled off the murder, he shot her right through the brain.  90/100 times that kills someone.  What I'm saying is, should his crime be less severe just because she pulled off a miracle and lived?  I'm not sure what the law says about this.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #109 on: January 13, 2011, 10:54:54 AM »
Well he also kinda killed half a dozen other people. I'm pretty sure those won't be ignored.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: January 13, 2011, 10:56:27 AM »
Yeah no doubt, but those are being handled by the state.  Gifford is a federal matter.  I'm just thinking of the principal of it.  I mean, I think if you shoot someone in the head and they live, you should still be punished as if they died.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline ehra

« Reply #111 on: January 13, 2011, 02:06:18 PM »
We don't anything about why he did it.  It could be politically motivated or it may not be.  We don't know what is correct and what isn't.

The answer is finally out; it was those damn moving pictures and interactive TV games:

https://www.irishcentral.com/story/news/periscope/violent-films-video-games-played-role--in-gabbie-giffords-shooting-killings-113422074.html

Lost in all the hate mongering over the Gabbie Gifford shooting and killings are other factors that likely caused the crazed killer to go off.

I'm not talking about the political stands offs but rather what the youth of America are surrounding themselves with every day.

That is violent images.

When was the last time you saw a Hollywood movie without significant violence?

Just look at the box office at the moment, 'True Grit', 'Season of the Witch' 'The Fighter', 'Tron Legacy , all at or near the top are violence pocked movies which make a virtue out of killing and maiming.

Then don't even mention the video games kids play. The law of the games is to kill or be killed and if you haven't accumulated a hundred or so bodies by the end of the game, then you have been a waste of space.

Maybe it is as the ancient Romans believed that man is made to fight, first and foremost, over women, power, land whatever, hardwired for ever to seek combat and triumph

Maybe what we witnessed on Saturday last with the shooting was the natural outreach of that.

One thing for sure, we will find that the killer was desensitized to violence by movies and video games that proclaim it is cool and worth watching.

There are many Hollywood liberals who make movies that are exceedingly violent yet point the finger at Republicans for hate speech.

Their own creations are helping with the hate too.

Likewise, those major corporations who manufacture the video games and pretend, like the NRA they have nothing to do with the spread of violence in this country. They too need to look in the mirror if they dare to .

I won't hold my breath, but every time I think of that little nine year old girl killed in Arizona I ask myself if these games are just harmless fun as the movie makers and manufacturers would have us believe.

I think not. Like the NRA the makers know in their hearts that they too had a role in background to the deaths last weekend.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: January 13, 2011, 02:07:22 PM »
 :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #113 on: January 13, 2011, 02:27:52 PM »
This blame game is almost entertaining. I can't wait until someone comes out and blames the rampage on Loughner's high soda consumption.

Offline ehra

« Reply #114 on: January 13, 2011, 02:30:15 PM »
This blame game is almost entertaining. I can't wait until someone comes out and blames the rampage on Loughner's high soda consumption.

I blame Four Loko.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #115 on: January 13, 2011, 02:39:50 PM »

I blame Four Loko.
In the over-enunciated reporter voice: "Experts are calling it shooting spree in a can!'"

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #116 on: January 13, 2011, 03:10:12 PM »
After seeing that ridiculously ugly mugshot, he probably looked in the mirror and that's what set him off.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: January 13, 2011, 03:34:20 PM »
After seeing that ridiculously ugly mugshot, he probably looked in the mirror and that's what set him off.

WHAT?  ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!!!  HOW DARE YOU BLAME THE SHOOTER.  THIS YOUNG MAN WAS LEAD ASTRAY AND IT WAS IN NO WAY HIS FAULT AT ALL!!! SOCIETY BROUGHT HIM TO THIS FATE NOT HIM.  DON'T BLAME HIM!!!!!!!  GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

lawlz........ yet, sadly this mentality is showing itself.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #118 on: January 13, 2011, 05:10:24 PM »
I think the issues that some of these commentators are bringing up are valid issues that need to be discussed.  However, to say that this loon did what he did because of a particular political leaning (either right or left) is just not correct.
I agree with this.  However, these things can't be discussed because both sides wind up exploiting the issue.  Just as much as I'm seeing people blame Palin/Limbaugh/Beck/whoever,  I'm seeing Palin/Limbaugh/Beck/whoever creating drama by claiming that opportunistic dems/libs/lefties/etc. are exploiting this to attack the conservatives.  Both sides are clamoring to spin this to their advantage.  Yet another reason to be disgusted by American politics.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy

wtf is the internet?

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: January 14, 2011, 02:01:23 AM »
I think Jon Stewart summed it up best.  We want to find something or someone to blame that can be controlled in our attempt to say "We've done something that will prevent this from happening again!" as opposed to saying, "This guy was unstable, and there are plenty more of those out there who we can't always detect and prevent from going on a rampage, so we'll just go ahead with business as usual and hope it doesn't happen again."

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #121 on: January 14, 2011, 05:54:12 AM »

I blame Four Loko.
I blame Yoko Ono.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #122 on: January 14, 2011, 07:30:53 AM »

The answer is finally out; it was those damn moving pictures and interactive TV games:

Then don't even mention the video games kids play. The law of the games is to kill or be killed and if you haven't accumulated a hundred or so bodies by the end of the game, then you have been a waste of space.

You know what's really ironic about this?  I'm currently playing Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories on my PSP.  The mission I'm stuck on is one where you're riding in a boat trying to gun down federal law enforcement agents so that you can make your getaway before they blow YOU to smithereens.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: January 14, 2011, 09:19:22 AM »

You know what's really ironic about this?  I'm currently playing Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories on my PSP.  The mission I'm stuck on is one where you're riding in a boat trying to gun down federal law enforcement agents so that you can make your getaway before they blow YOU to smithereens.

Yeah but, you started it lol.  The cops don't come if you just walk around all quiet like on the streets.   :P

Offline ehra

« Reply #124 on: January 14, 2011, 09:29:55 AM »
You've also got games like Metal Gear Solid which reward you (and are actually easier, hilariously enough) for doing no-kill tranquilizer gun runs.

Seriously, Konami. Nerf tranquilizer guns. Not only do they neutralize enemies just as easily as other guns, they also don't put you into alert mode.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #125 on: January 14, 2011, 10:48:07 AM »
This is actually a pretty cool idea.