Author Topic: US Congresswoman and others shot  (Read 15471 times)

Offline GuineaPig

US Congresswoman and others shot
« on: January 08, 2011, 01:43:48 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12143774

:|

I think this is the first real political violence the U.S. has seen in ages.  Very sad.

EDIT: The toll I'm hearing is 6 dead, 15 wounded.  Congresswoman Gifford was apparently shot in the head, point-blank, and is undergoing surgery.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 01:53:10 PM by GuineaPig »
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline ddtonfire

Re: US Congresswoman and others shot
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 01:47:18 PM »
Praying for her recovery!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 01:57:05 PM »
The surgery appears to be to harvest organs for transplant (hows that for fucking irony).  They've announced her death. 

Something they're not discussing yet is that she was one of the democrats that were in Sarah Palin's crosshair ad. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 01:59:44 PM »
Shit.

First member of congress to be killed since Leo Ryan at Jonestown.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 02:00:46 PM »
Now the hospital is saying she's alert and responding to stimuli. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 02:06:23 PM »
Good Lord, people seem to be more concerned with Sarah Palin than Gabrielle Giffords right now. How messed up is that?

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 02:08:16 PM »
Senseless. Here's hoping they recover.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 02:18:47 PM »
The surgery appears to be to harvest organs for transplant (hows that for fucking irony). 

:lol
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 02:24:02 PM »
Gifford, who was hosting the event, is under anesthesia after undergoing surgery for a single gunshot wound to the head, said Dr. Peter Rhee, Trauma Director at University Medical Center in Tucson.

"The Congresswoman is not deceased. She is in critical condition," Rhee said in a press conference. "I am very optimistic about recovery."

Certainly hope she fares better than James Brady.

Unfortunately, I suspect this is just the beginning.  As the system deteriorates, the people become more desperate, and stupidity+desperation is invariably catastrophic. 

The surgery appears to be to harvest organs for transplant (hows that for fucking irony).

:lol
For once, I'm happy to have been incorrect.
E.F. Benson

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 02:54:37 PM »
Indeed.

Regarding the whole Palin thing, I'm curious as to how much influence Palin actually has now. I feel like this is more a coincidence than anything truly sinister, or in other words I have a hard time believing this wouldn't have happened had Palin never had her hit-list thing.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 03:07:15 PM »
The guy appears to be a bit of a loon.
E.F. Benson

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 03:35:57 PM »
This has hit my family very hard today. As many of you know, my wife is a democratic political consultant. She moved from Alabama to Tucson, where she grew up from junior high through high school, and is the same age as Gabby. In fact she has known Gabby since high school (although they went to seperate schools), and has been much closer friends with her now since she was first elected to Congress. Ironically, I have only met Gabby twice, very briefly, but my wife is just devasted right now. She is in the family room right now, and literally glued to the reports on the news; and has been frantically calling and texting friends from Tucson. I held her when we first saw the reports, while she bawled her eyes out.

I have been to the strip mall where the shootings occured many times. It is at the corner of Oracle and Ina roads. In fact we were married nearby at Tohono Chul Park, there in the Sonoran desert. My wife is terrified that many other close personal friends may have been there today as well. This is just a very sad, sad situation.  

Our prayers are certainly with her and the other victims of this terrible, senseless tragedy. This is just fucking crazy.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 04:05:49 PM »
Unfortunately, I suspect this is just the beginning.  As the system deteriorates, the people become more desperate, and stupidity+desperation is invariably catastrophic. 

This  is what I was thinking. Don't want to jump to conclusions but this could be the beginning of large-scale social unrest.

wtf is the internet?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 04:25:48 PM »
Sorry if this was discussed, but did they find out the motive?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 04:34:50 PM »

As EB put it, the guy seems to be a loon.  More Alex Jones than Beck/Palin/etc.

https://gawker.com/5728605/arizona-shooter-explained-mind-control-on-youtube

Edit:  Hoping for the best, TV.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Adami

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 04:35:29 PM »
Oh....ok. Not sure where to take that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 05:42:45 PM »
Oh my god his youtube videos are insane.

Offline Adami

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2011, 05:52:53 PM »
I don't trust the government because of the ratifications.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 06:18:11 PM »
5.47 pm. A reader writes:

I'm a licensed psychologist with 20 years experience. I've watched the Jared Loughner Youtube videos. They show evidence of delusions of persecution. Loughner's less than coherent language also suggests a formal thought disorder. While Loughner can't be diagnosed without a full exam conducted in person, there are significant indications in the videos that he suffers from a psychotic disorder.

I would not rule out drugs as a factor, but he is within the age range that psychotic patients often suffer their first psychotic break. If I had to guess, I'd go with paranoid schizophrenia. If that's the case, his politics are irrelevant. He may not even be fit to stand trial unless and until his psychotic thinking is brought under control with medication.
https://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2011/01/murder-in-arizona-live-blogging.html
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Adami

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 06:51:02 PM »
I'm a future psychologist with 0 years of clinical experience and that was all super obvious.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 07:17:09 PM »
Is that pretty much the psychology version of when people ask me why a building falls down when a bomb detonates in it because I'm an engineer?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 07:25:27 PM »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Adami

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2011, 07:28:48 PM »
Is that pretty much the psychology version of when people ask me why a building falls down when a bomb detonates in it because I'm an engineer?

No, cause you can use some interesting information. It's more like a doctor saying that man who exploded is dead, because he has 20 years experience.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2011, 07:39:46 PM »
The kid got kicked out of his community college a few months ago, precisely because of these videos.  He would have needed mental health clearance to re-enroll...

Offline Adami

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2011, 07:41:12 PM »
The kid got kicked out of his community college a few months ago, precisely because of these videos.  He would have needed mental health clearance to re-enroll...

Listener?

Maybe it's because they controlled his grammar.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2011, 08:12:05 PM »
Judge John Roll attended the same parish as my father-in-law, and was often a frequent visitor to the dog park nearby with his families dog. This whole thing is just really hitting my wife and her family very hard.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2011, 09:52:34 PM »
Police are apparently looking for a second suspect now.

https://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/08/giffords-arizona-shooting.html

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2011, 12:58:53 AM »

As EB put it, the guy seems to be a loon.  More Alex Jones than Beck/Palin/etc.

https://gawker.com/5728605/arizona-shooter-explained-mind-control-on-youtube

Catie Parker claims to have been in a band with Loughner, as well as his high school and college classmate. In a Twitter exchange with Anthony De Rosa, she said that when she knew Loughner he was a radical liberal, a "loner" and "very philosophical:
"He was a political radical and met Giffords once before in '07, asked her a question and he told me she was 'stupid and unintelligent.' He was a pot head & into rock like Hendrix, The Doors, Anti-Flag.... As I knew him he was left wing, quite liberal and oddly obsessed with the 2012 prophecy."

Radical liberal & Anti-Flag ≠ Alex Jones.

wtf is the internet?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2011, 01:38:38 AM »

Loons are loons no matter what side they're on. People who believe Alex Jones can probably be made to believe anything.

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2011, 02:02:25 AM »

People who believe Alex Jones can probably be made to believe anything.

Okay, that's your opinion, but what does Alex Jones have to with anything at all? Why even mention him at all? Why not other "loons"? Why not the communists? Why not the neo-Nazis? Why not the Mossad? How about a CIA staged event? It's like you're saying that since he's a "loon" and dumb enough to believe in Alex Jones, we might as well categorize him as one of his disciples, which seems weird.

wtf is the internet?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2011, 02:32:16 AM »

People who believe Alex Jones can probably be made to believe anything.

Okay, that's your opinion

Not really.

Besides, words like "liberal" and "leftist" are so outdated in today's political climate, and don't describe anything accurately. If I had long hair, listened to Hendrix, smoked pot, marched on Washington and fapped to loli people my dad's or grandpa's age would probably call me a liberal. But there's a decent enough if not better chance that I'd be part of the Ron Paul "revolution."

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2011, 02:44:21 AM »
I just don't get the connection with Alex Jones. Do folks automatically just connect "loons" or people who make violent use of firearms to Alex Jones?

wtf is the internet?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2011, 02:59:46 AM »
Of course no-one is assuming that there's a solid connection between them. We're just pointing out the mutual level of insanity.

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2011, 03:08:42 AM »
We're just pointing out the mutual level of insanity.

... I'll ask just one more time. Why mention Alex Jones over all the other type of loons I already mentioned?

wtf is the internet?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2011, 03:15:03 AM »
I know some people from that area.  Will they release the names of the victims or is that usually kept confidential?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges