Author Topic: Community (TV Series)  (Read 67349 times)

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
Re: Community (TV Series)
« Reply #210 on: March 15, 2012, 06:50:23 PM »
Yeah, the ridiculous amount of hype and anticipation probably contributed to the letdown, but it was definitely a bit weak.  There were some great lines, though. 

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #211 on: March 15, 2012, 08:00:55 PM »
Really?  I liked it a lot.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: March 15, 2012, 08:13:01 PM »
I loved Abed's normal voice.  I thought it was just okay overall. 

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #213 on: March 15, 2012, 09:14:43 PM »
I really enjoyed tonight's show, though watching it at Caroline's with hundreds of other Community fans in the middle of a Joel McHale comedy set probably helped :D Annie's Jim Belushi line ftw :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #214 on: March 16, 2012, 02:00:42 AM »
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #215 on: March 16, 2012, 08:49:10 AM »
I thought it was as funny as ever. When Troy told Shirley they'd try not to embarass her at her second wedding being held at a community college study group room....that was just one of the 'funny' moments. And I agree that 'normal' Ahbed's voice and mannerisms is funny to watch. And for as cheesy and as 'expected' as it was....I thought the last little 30 second throw away scene with Chevy Chase at the soft serve cone machine was amusing. Played right in to what Chevy is 'known' for. 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: March 16, 2012, 06:20:54 PM »
I started watching this show based on this thread, watched the pilot and the second episode. I guess you guys are talking about later seasons or something cause that was just painful. I know that asshole protagonists who are full of themselves are the cool new thing but the actor is also so bad on top of that. Hot blonde girl.. all there is to her. Don't understand what's supposed to be funny about the Arab guy, is it that he says random things at random times with random facial expressions? is he trying to be the new Fez from That 70's Show? Cause the lame Indian guy from Big Bang theory already pirated that one.
Chevy Chase is kinda funny here and maybe he's the reason the show picks up later if it's so popular. The basketball guy, other girl and the black lady are so.. flat? I just can't spot what's supposed to be catchy or funny here. Even the Asian Spanish teacher is just so over the top it and out there.
Is it gonna get different or should I stop now? This thread made me start so I'm leaving the judgement to you guys :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #217 on: March 16, 2012, 06:25:34 PM »
The show has some of the most interesting characters in any sitcom I've seen, so yeah.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #218 on: March 16, 2012, 06:51:27 PM »
The show has some of the most interesting characters in any sitcom I've seen, so yeah.

I wouldn't say this.

What I would say is that it's one of the most inventive network sitcoms in a long while.  It has an absurdist and satirical nature, and it takes a while for it to emerge.  Some people like it.  Some people don't.  Most people who like it, like it a lot.  You could skip ahead to the 7th episode, if you want.  A lot of the stuff surrounding the premise gets dropped, and I think the show gets a lot better.

Alternatively, if you wanted to sample the various stylings that make the show run in a short time frame, you could try, in order, the 7th, 9th, 15th, 21st, and 23rd episodes of season 1.  If you don't like the show after those, you could probably stop trying.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #219 on: March 17, 2012, 03:12:58 AM »
I started watching this show based on this thread, watched the pilot and the second episode. I guess you guys are talking about later seasons or something cause that was just painful. I know that asshole protagonists who are full of themselves are the cool new thing but the actor is also so bad on top of that. Hot blonde girl.. all there is to her. Don't understand what's supposed to be funny about the Arab guy, is it that he says random things at random times with random facial expressions? is he trying to be the new Fez from That 70's Show? Cause the lame Indian guy from Big Bang theory already pirated that one.
Chevy Chase is kinda funny here and maybe he's the reason the show picks up later if it's so popular. The basketball guy, other girl and the black lady are so.. flat? I just can't spot what's supposed to be catchy or funny here. Even the Asian Spanish teacher is just so over the top it and out there.
Is it gonna get different or should I stop now? This thread made me start so I'm leaving the judgement to you guys :lol

Second half of season 1 is Godlike. You CAN'T go by the first two episodes it because a totally different show.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: March 17, 2012, 07:29:29 AM »
Honestly I think every season of Community starts out a little weak before it gets REALLY good.  In season 1's case, it starts getting amazing at episode 3.  :lol 

Metty, the characters come into their own very quickly.  Those first two episodes are more set-up than anything.  They all develop pretty well.

And Abed (who is Pakistani/Polish) doesn't say random things.  If you can't already figure his thing out I'm not sure if you're actually watching the show with any bit of attention.  :lol

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: March 17, 2012, 11:41:50 AM »
I'll keep watching then :)
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #222 on: March 17, 2012, 11:48:50 AM »
Honestly I think every season of Community starts out a little weak before it gets REALLY good.  In season 1's case, it starts getting amazing at episode 3.  :lol 

Metty, the characters come into their own very quickly.  Those first two episodes are more set-up than anything.  They all develop pretty well.

And Abed (who is Pakistani/Polish) doesn't say random things.  If you can't already figure his thing out I'm not sure if you're actually watching the show with any bit of attention.  :lol

Abed is Palestinian/Polish.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: March 17, 2012, 02:16:44 PM »
DAMMIT now I look like a racist.   :'(

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #224 on: March 17, 2012, 03:36:39 PM »

They explain his mindset pretty well in the first episode. He absorbs things in a strictly analytical way and likens situations and other people to pop culture. In a way he is like that "foreign punchline guy" but taken to much smarter extremes and his humor comes out of the references and observations he makes instead of being funny because of or at the expense of him being foreign. I think other shows shoehorn racial stereotypes to make jokes for those characters on top of being the wacky indian/arab/spanish guy.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #225 on: March 17, 2012, 10:32:57 PM »
I believe it's Alan Sepinwall who often describes Abed as a sitcom character who knows he's in a sitcom.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #226 on: March 17, 2012, 10:36:52 PM »
I believe it's Alan Sepinwall who often describes Abed as a sitcom character who knows he's in a sitcom.

That's one of the things I love about his character though - he's basically a walking tvtropes, so he can essentially break the 4th wall without actually breaking out of the character he's supposed to be. It's brilliant.

Offline Olibu

« Reply #227 on: March 18, 2012, 08:24:42 PM »
Yeah, the ridiculous amount of hype and anticipation probably contributed to the letdown, but it was definitely a bit weak.  There were some great lines, though.

I kind of don't get why there was that much hype. Yes, I was excited that the show was actually coming back, but they had planned and shot this a long time ago as just a regular episode. That's what I expected, and I was happy to get it.
Say boys and girls don't you want to have fun
Why bother to walk when you'd rather run
Why bother with books when you've got a gun
Come fly with me right into the sun

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #228 on: March 29, 2012, 06:34:09 PM »
HOLY SHIT GUYS.

This episode was GOLD.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #229 on: March 29, 2012, 06:39:26 PM »
Fuck, that was great. 

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #230 on: March 29, 2012, 06:49:46 PM »
I know rite? Everything about it just felt right.
Loved the ending.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #231 on: March 30, 2012, 01:06:02 PM »
Um yeah, I haven't even reached the title theme of the episode yet and it's got my smiling like...*something sexual*. This show is the shiznit. I hate Popeye's.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline TL

« Reply #232 on: March 30, 2012, 04:39:15 PM »
"I was googling the longest of things and..."

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #233 on: March 31, 2012, 02:23:22 PM »
Oh man two awesome episodes.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #234 on: March 31, 2012, 08:09:42 PM »
Looks like Chevy Chase might be done with the show.

Should be interesting. He does bring up a bunch of good points though.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #235 on: March 31, 2012, 08:25:21 PM »
 Hmm.  Pierce had some worthwhile development in Season 2, but him leaving actually doesn't sound too awful to me at this point.  He hasn't been much use in this season (they've stopped making him the antagonist for the most part) and the show has toyed with him leaving so many times before anyway that it would make sense in context. 

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #236 on: March 31, 2012, 10:41:32 PM »
Looks like Chevy Chase might be done with the show.

Should be interesting. He does bring up a bunch of good points though.

He'll be back.  He's likely contractually obligated, and it's not like he's going to get any better offers.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: April 02, 2012, 10:39:23 AM »
Finished season 1. This show is good.
This is me. This morning. I... I feel so bad for not having seen this show before. I feel ashamed of myself.

Honestly, best show ever.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #238 on: April 06, 2012, 11:51:49 AM »
Holy carp last night's episode.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #239 on: April 06, 2012, 02:54:34 PM »
How can one show be soooo good? I feel like i'm ripping NBC off for watching it free.

Offline TL

« Reply #240 on: April 06, 2012, 03:22:24 PM »
Last night's episode was pretty fantastic.

Also, apparently the whole Chevy Chase thing has been settled, and he will be back next year.

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #241 on: April 06, 2012, 04:12:03 PM »
I liked the episode but am i the only one that felt the Troy and Abed's feud resolution... too bland?

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #242 on: April 06, 2012, 09:39:07 PM »
This just in: Community is still fucking brilliant.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #243 on: April 06, 2012, 11:32:02 PM »
I liked the episode but am i the only one that felt the Troy and Abed's feud resolution... too bland?

Yes and no.  If it weren't for the line about the actual fight being the last thing they would ever do together I would agree with you 100%. 

The best friendship on TV deserves a little bit better, but in a way, it made sense.

Offline TL

« Reply #244 on: April 07, 2012, 11:43:23 AM »
While they could have dealt with the resolution a bit more, it would have probably meant less time spent on the documentary premise. If that was the case, I think they made the right decision.

Also, the lack of drama or intensity that the resolution had almost gives it a bizarrely realistic feel.