Author Topic: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)  (Read 202428 times)

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: The Official Football (REAL Football (Soccer)) Thread [merged]
« Reply #140 on: May 09, 2011, 11:30:41 AM »
Just got back home from London, been a pretty fantastic football-weekend.  :)

About 6 months ago my dad told me that he and his working buddies would do a football-trip sometime during the season, they've been pals for around 25 years, football is a huge passion amongst all of them, and they together bet money on results and such, and if anyone wins then they go see games for the win money.
Anyhow, one of my dad's friends is a huge Queens Park Rangers-fan, and a few others cheer for Leeds, so very early on (like last October) they decided that the game of choice would be Queens Park Rangers - Leeds United, in the very last round of Championship. (aka this weekend)
The outcome couldn't have been better; QPR were already champions and didn't get a penalty for the transfer of Alejandro Faurlin (which was debated a lot), and Leeds had the chance to steal the last qualifying-spot from Nottingham.

The game itself and everything around it was pretty amazing, the shop was crowded to the point where it was impossible to browse through the items, a lot of screaming and happy faces on the streets.
The audience was amazing, and after just ~30 seconds, Helguson had already given QPR the lead with 1-0.
Leeds ended up winning with 2-1 after two very 'lucky' goals, but the result of the game didn't matter since Nottingham won their game against Palace, which meant that Leeds still plays in the Championship next year.
QPR were already champions, and I think that was the fact that didn't force them to perform 100% on the field, they had their minds set on the scenes afterwards already.
QPR got the trophy and there was a lot of celebrations that they got to PL for the first time in 15 years, pretty amazing that I got to see this on place.

Sunday was obviously revolving around Man U - Chelsea, we went to a sports bar hided very neatly behind Piccadilly Circus.
We got to see Stoke beat the hell out of Arsenal, which wasn't really all that surprising, after all Stoke has had a very strong season, meanwhile Arsenal don't really have anything to play for.
First ~40 seconds of the big game was fantastic, Chicharito was fantastic, and the goal itself really displays why I love him, he has quickly become one of my favorite players.
The first half was brilliant, the second wasn't AS good (from Man U's pov), but they still created enough chances to get both 3-1 and 4-1, they were robbed of a penalty when there was a hand-ball in the penalty box, but otherwise I'm just happy that they won.
Park was probably the player of the match for me, he's just amazing.

So yeah, that pretty much sums up my weekend. :)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #141 on: May 09, 2011, 02:17:34 PM »
YOU CAME TO LONDON AND DIDN'T SAY HI?

WE ARE NO LONGER FRIENDS

:sadpanda:

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #142 on: May 09, 2011, 02:33:28 PM »
For those Mexican League fans, everyone who is happy to see America eliminated, raise their hands.

And toro, nice job by Pumas beating Monterey, their a tough team. :tup

If what my coworker told me is true, your team and my Chivas go head to head next week. :metal

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #143 on: May 09, 2011, 02:58:24 PM »
YOU CAME TO LONDON AND DIDN'T SAY HI?

WE ARE NO LONGER FRIENDS

:sadpanda:

It was only for like 2 days.
Was crazy busy, but hopefully the next time I'll have more spare time for other things then football.  :hat

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #144 on: May 09, 2011, 03:06:05 PM »
For those Mexican League fans, everyone who is happy to see America eliminated, raise their hands.

And toro, nice job by Pumas beating Monterey, their a tough team. :tup

If what my coworker told me is true, your team and my Chivas go head to head next week. :metal
it's this week tuesday I believe.
and we are gonna win  :metal :metal
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #145 on: May 09, 2011, 03:16:17 PM »
It's on, compa.

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #146 on: May 09, 2011, 03:23:41 PM »
But seriously mang, I'm worried I have a bad feeling about the match if we lose in Chivas home(By a big difference) I'm sure we are not gonna do anything In Ciudad Universitaria...
But if we pass this round theres a 50/50 chance that I'm going to Mexico City to watch the game.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #147 on: May 09, 2011, 04:29:27 PM »
That would be cool.

BTW toro, I've asked the guys at work, but they don't speak a sufficient amount of english to get it across to me.  How do the coming final weeks of the league play out?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 05:13:19 PM by lonestar »

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #148 on: May 09, 2011, 06:30:34 PM »
What do you mean? Like the format of the league?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #149 on: May 09, 2011, 06:56:31 PM »
What do you mean? Like the format of the league?
A general, brief explanation of the playoffs, I understand the regular league, and if I am right, record and points determine seeding.

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #150 on: May 09, 2011, 07:09:07 PM »
Oh Thank god you know about the regular Phase  :rollin fucking clusterfuck of a league, anyways the play-offs are as follows:

2 matches by leg(home and away games) and thats pretty much it, the final game goes The same way... But the team with the most points gets the last game of the final at home.

Edit: Fucking Iphone

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #151 on: May 09, 2011, 07:14:38 PM »
Thanks dude. :tup

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #152 on: May 15, 2011, 07:42:13 PM »
Congtrats Toro, Pumas in the finals, and it looks likely you'lle  be facing Morelia, just saw they are all ready up on Cruz Azul 2-0.

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #153 on: May 15, 2011, 10:47:33 PM »
Thanks  :tup It was an awesome game to be honest I was shitting myself during the first 20 minutes  :lol :lol

Oh yes, and I think I'm going to Mexico City to see the game.  :metal :metal

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #154 on: May 15, 2011, 11:57:25 PM »
Thanks  :tup It was an awesome game to be honest I was shitting myself during the first 20 minutes  :lol :lol

Oh yes, and I think I'm going to Mexico City to see the game.  :metal :metal
One of our cooks is going to try and head down for it too.  Good luck, I'll be cheering for them. :tup

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #155 on: May 16, 2011, 03:56:01 AM »
So, Man U won PL, and it's pretty great.
Not really sure if I'm excited or not about the CL-final against Barcelona, normally I know that Man U will beat them, but looking at Barcelona's past with having referee's on their side, it's going to be a nightmare.
I just hope that the final will have a neutral referee that doesn't buy into the whole diving-crap, to me it feels like Barcelona are getting much more freekicks and such then they deserve.

I also really want to end the "Barcelona are the best team in the world"-bs, so if Man U wins the final, then Barcelona certainly can't be the best.

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #156 on: May 23, 2011, 03:01:05 PM »
Thanks  :tup It was an awesome game to be honest I was shitting myself during the first 20 minutes  :lol :lol

Oh yes, and I think I'm going to Mexico City to see the game.  :metal :metal
One of our cooks is going to try and head down for it too.  Good luck, I'll be cheering for them. :tup
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS  :metal

I love my team's jersey.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #157 on: May 23, 2011, 03:08:30 PM »
So, Man U won PL, and it's pretty great.
Not really sure if I'm excited or not about the CL-final against Barcelona, normally I know that Man U will beat them, but looking at Barcelona's past with having referee's on their side, it's going to be a nightmare.
I just hope that the final will have a neutral referee that doesn't buy into the whole diving-crap, to me it feels like Barcelona are getting much more freekicks and such then they deserve.

I also really want to end the "Barcelona are the best team in the world"-bs, so if Man U wins the final, then Barcelona certainly can't be the best.
I love how much you hate Barca for "always having referees on their side", when Man U have been the same for years. :P

I be am boner inducing.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #158 on: May 23, 2011, 03:12:30 PM »
Thanks  :tup It was an awesome game to be honest I was shitting myself during the first 20 minutes  :lol :lol

Oh yes, and I think I'm going to Mexico City to see the game.  :metal :metal
One of our cooks is going to try and head down for it too.  Good luck, I'll be cheering for them. :tup
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS  :metal

I love my team's jersey.
Congrats man.  I had one happy Mexican in my kitchen yesterday.  He kept flexing his biceps and kissing them. :lol

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #159 on: May 28, 2011, 11:12:10 AM »
So... The Champions League final is on tonight. Personally, I don't have any preference on who should win it; I'll just hope for a good game (if I actually watch it).
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: May 28, 2011, 11:36:36 AM »
I've been waiting for this game for weeks now, I'm so pumped for it!

Come on United! :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline erik16

• The one on the right
« Reply #161 on: May 28, 2011, 02:21:27 PM »
Barca are toying with Utd atm and my bro is cringing at Utd's uselessness.

And there was a handball in Barca's box, unnoticed.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #162 on: May 28, 2011, 02:42:26 PM »
I'm so disappointed right now, that I don't even have anything to say.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: May 29, 2011, 12:19:06 AM »
Barcelona was the better team, they are really in a league of their own. Man United put up a fight in the first 45 minutes, but then Barcelona took over and showed us that they are one of the best club teams ever.

My hat goes off to them. But next year we'll beat them ;)
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #164 on: May 29, 2011, 09:28:19 AM »
It was an amazing match, definitely the kind of thing I would want from a champions league final! Both teams played great in the first half, it was really exhilarating to watch. Second half United still played well, but when Barca are on form they are unstoppable. Great game!

I be am boner inducing.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #165 on: May 29, 2011, 10:02:34 AM »
Mourinho is probably the only coach that can stop Barcelona.

I'm ok with loosing, my only big disappointment is that Ferguson learned nothing from the previous final, and I didn't feel like he did everything possible to change the outlook of the game.
He changed places with Giggs and Park, something that was a huge mistake, he should've changed back or IMO changed Giggs for Anderson or Fletcher at halftime.
I also don't get the substitute of Scholes, maybe it was a sort of "tribute to this great player who has been with us for a long time", but United were loosing and it wasn't really a substitute to change the outcome.
He should've at least given Owen some playtime, I'm not saying that it would've been a success, but then at least he would've done everything he could as a coach.

Oh well, can't wait for next season!

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #166 on: May 29, 2011, 02:48:12 PM »
Owen? He should have played Berbatov for sure, the guy's the joint leading PL goalscorer and he's only played in about half the games. But looks like Dimi's on the way out anyway, so maybe they had a falling out before the match. Was a great game, made even better by the fact that I put £10 on Barca to win 3-1 and got a return of £160  :tup :tup

Spurs fan here, shame we didn't make the Champs league again this year but we just don't have the strikers. Word is Defoe and Pav are on the way out, but they've been far better than Crouch this season. Levy is a great chairman though so no doubt 'arry will have some money to spend during the summer. Couple of tasty rumours going around about who might come in, Drogba being one of them. Abramovich will want Torres to be the focal point of Chelsea's attack now that he's spent 50 mil on him, and Didier won't want to play second fiddle, so reckon he'll be on his way. When he first arrived in the Prem I hated Drogba, diving around and play-acting worse than Nani does now, but he's cut that out of his game and is much better for it. The guy's as strong as an ox, would love him at Spurs. Berbatov has been linked with a return to the Lane too, but that's a little less likely in my opinion. We could do with a centre back that actually has knees too. And a keeper with hands.

Man City are going to get stronger and stronger, and Man U are never going to drop out of the top 4 either. Liverpool are like a new team now that King Kenny's taken over, plus with Arsenal and Chelsea always doing well it's going to be a real tough ask for Spurs to get 4th again. The only teams I can see making room for them are Liverpool, Chelsea (after their mid-season wobble) or Arsenal, because Fabregas will surely be on his way along with Denilson and Nasri, who apparantly hasn't signed a new contract, and Wenger is so opposed to spending any money.

So who's going to win the play-off tomorrow? I'm hoping Reading for two reasons:

1) I have a soft spot for the town of Reading purely because every time i've been there for the festival I've had an absolute blast, and
2) They're sponsered by Waitrose, who I work for, and I can get free tickets to see them play :)

Glad to find this thread, I was actually thinking of starting one for the 11/12 Prem season, but now I don't have to. One thing's for sure, it's going to be the most competitive season yet. Every team is going to get stronger, plus the teams coming up seem to be of a particularly high quality (why oh why did Spurs sell Taarbt to QPR :() Can't wait for August, what am I going to do for 3 months!?!

Also, if there is enough interest we could potentially get a DTF dream team league going.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #167 on: May 29, 2011, 03:21:43 PM »
Well, Berbatov wasn't on the bench, so that's why I mentioned Owen. ;)

As for the qualifying-game, I don't have any particular feelings for any of the teams, but if I had to pick, I'd probably pick Swansea for these reasons:
First off, a team from Wales in PL? That would be pretty interesting. Reading has been in the PL not too long ago, and seeing as QPR and Norwich are already up, even though Norwich has been up in the last 10 years or so, I still feel like both these teams are like a breeze of fresh air in the PL, and if Swansea became the third team, I would love it, because that would mean some new teams.
Normally there are a few teams that goes down and then comes up the year after, luckily we got some new teams this year instead. :)

As for Silly Season, it's one of my favorite periods during the year.
Being a huge Man U-fan, I know they probably won't buy/sell much on their own, but just following this season in general, seeing what new players arrives in other PL-clubs and such, it's really interesting. I don't only watch Man U-games, I also watch a lot of the other teams, so seeing new faces is great.
Rumors this far includes De Gea from Athletico Madrid as the new first keeper, a choice I would be very happy about, seeing as he's both young but also a fantastic goalie.
Ashley Young from Villa is another name that keeps popping up, and I'm guessing that Ferguson wants to get a new winger in, seeing as Giggs will most likely do his last season, and this way Fergie gets some time to adjust the new player to the club, before playing him more frequently.
I'm not sure what I think about Young, he's great, but not better then any of Man U's current wingers, however he also has the potential to play in a "nr.10"-role behind a forward, which gives good options if they need to play a 4-5-1 system.

That's it for now I guess. :)

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #168 on: May 29, 2011, 04:00:38 PM »
I'll bet Modric is top of Ferguson's target list (behind a new goalie of course) and I'm worried he might get his man. I know Fergie was also interested in Bale, but he's already said he won't be going anywhere this year, which is great news. If we lose Modric then Spurs will need another midfielder, otherwise we need nobody for that position. I'd say Spurs' midfield of Bale, Modric, Sandro, Lennon and van der Vaart is the strongest in the league, but at least if Modric does go for around £30m Man U will also have to buy out the remaining 5 years of his contract, so Spurs would have a massive income to play around with. That said, I'd rather he stayed. He's so important to us, and we need all our best players to push for the top 4.

Charlie Adam would be a nice addition though, maybe in place of Sandro. With Blackpool being relegated and Adam only having 12 months on his contract I reckon he could be bought for less than £10m, and with the likes of Kranjcar, Pavlyucheko, O'Hara, Gomes, Keane and Bentley most likely going to be sold, there should be plenty of money for a move of that sort. You can always trust Redknapp to never disappoint during transfer windows. Hopefully he doesn't go to Chelsea!

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: May 29, 2011, 04:43:23 PM »
Been reading a lot today about stuff being said after the game, from both Barcelona-fans and the rest, which combined with how the game looked last night makes me kinda frustrated.
It's really no news that Barcelona is the holy team from heaven, sent down to show the rest of the football clubs how to play the game.
The media manages to praise Barcelona to a whole new level, the players are godlike, especially Messi, don't even get me started on Messi.
Sure, he's a great football player, but I feel like it's ridiculous how it's IMPOSSIBLE for him to get a yellow card, no matter what shit he pulls on the field. (like kicking the ball towards the Real-fans, or doing a clumsy tackle)
Last night there was a situation where he should have gotten a yellow card, but he just blinked with his eye and gave the referee a thumbs up, and that was the end of that.
You could literally SEE Messi's lips forming the words: "They'll never know".
Another player that annoys the hell out of me is Xavi, probably the most arrogant and biggest jerk of a football player that you can find.
EVERY time there has been a game, Xavi always HAS to make some idiotic comment, yesterday's game was "A victory for football", when they defeated Arsenal he said "the red card didn't change the outlook of the game".
Mario Balotelli comes off as being intelligent in comparison.

I know there are a few people here who loves Barcelona, my biggest question.. aren't you guys ashamed of your players?
I'm not talking about the 'offensive a-la-barca'-playingstyle, I'm talking about how all the players take a dive as soon as they feel wind in their neck, in many cases it's a player getting a touch on the foot, then 30 seconds later rolling around holding their hands before their faces.
I'm not going to defend Real, because obviously they have a few players like this as well, so does most teams, but with Barcelona it's really all of the team.
The whole 'diving in every situation' is stupid, and the players are pretty much crying like they got their legs broken, to follow that up 20 seconds later with running at max pace.
Let's not forget the other Barcelona-strategy, that every time a player goes down, all of the team has to run up to the judge, and beg for cards.
It's funny because Valdes is always the first player to come up to the judge, even if the incident occurred all over the field at the opponent's penalty-box.
SERIOUSLY.. Get the fuck back to your own goal and mind your own business.

And in the next sentence I'm not talking about how these players are as football players (quality-wise) but instead sportsmanship and such, players like: Valdes, Dani Alves, Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta, Villa, Pedro and Messi stands for everything that's wrong with this world.
Seriously.

There, finally let some steam off.  :biggrin:

AND THIS IS WHAT'S SO GREAT ABOUT BARCELONA. LOOK AT THE FIRST GUY TO HOLD THE CUP.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 05:41:08 PM by emindead »

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #170 on: May 29, 2011, 04:52:07 PM »
Congrats Emindead, turns out that diving and cheating does make the difference. :)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: The Official Soccer Thread [merged]
« Reply #172 on: May 29, 2011, 05:09:53 PM »
I was nice and went ahead and fixed this thread for you guys. :D
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #173 on: May 29, 2011, 05:14:04 PM »
DAMMIT NICK STOP FAILING SO MUCH

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #174 on: May 29, 2011, 05:15:40 PM »
As long as Nani is in the team, no Man U fan can complain about diving or play acting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4by_jfIU3iY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XpEoCvW2Wo

Admittedly the Carragher tackle was really bad, but the way Nani gets up, runs over to the ref to complain, then collapses in 'agony' is ridiculous, he's a disgrace to the game as much as anyone else. And then hitting out at one of the medical staff, what a prick.