Author Topic: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)  (Read 202433 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)
« Reply #2065 on: July 11, 2018, 02:46:34 PM »
Yeah, shame but ah well, best England have done in a major tournament in a very long time and they've restored a lot of faith in the team. Especially with such a young squad, we never expected to get this far so things are potentially promising for the future.

Bit disappointed that both finalists played quite cheap in their semi-finals. Lots of falling over and time-wasting and suchlike. Both were the better teams and deserve to be in the final, but it's the side of football that I dislike and that has reduced my interest in recent years.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2066 on: July 11, 2018, 02:48:50 PM »
OMFG Croatia won  :o :metal

The underdog against the historical inaccurancy (the french reaching Moscow), with 3 extra times in a row and one day less of rest..... it's gonna be a carnage but at this point it's really up to them to find the strenghts to do the unthinkable and win!!!

Don't get me wrong, I know that soccer is the most exhausting activity one can engage in (with mass genocide coming in second), but for these world class athletes is four days not enough time to recover for the next game?
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #2067 on: July 11, 2018, 02:53:59 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I know that soccer is the most exhausting activity one can engage in (with mass genocide coming in second), but for these world class athletes is four days not enough time to recover for the next game?

Think about it this way: Croatia playing three extra times and France playing none means a difference of full 90 minutes, basically an entire match. I'm quite certain it means something this far into the tournament, though Croatia won't have to travel because the final will be played in Moscow.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2068 on: July 11, 2018, 02:54:48 PM »
Yeah, shame but ah well, best England have done in a major tournament in a very long time and they've restored a lot of faith in the team. Especially with such a young squad, we never expected to get this far so things are potentially promising for the future.

England in the finals in 4 years. Maybe European Cup first in 2 years.

Bit disappointed that both finalists played quite cheap in their semi-finals. Lots of falling over and time-wasting and suchlike. Both were the better teams and deserve to be in the final, but it's the side of football that I dislike and that has reduced my interest in recent years.

Yeah, I definitely understand what you're getting at, though France was notably worse at the shenanigans. I'll be rooting for Croatia, because rooting for underdogs is way more fun (+ I like their play-style better than the French).
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2069 on: July 11, 2018, 03:01:27 PM »
Anyway, 1998 - 2000: France wins the World Cup and the Euro Cup.

2016 - 2018: France loses the Euro Cup final and now has a World Cup final ahead..... mh..... *fingers crossed*
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2070 on: July 11, 2018, 03:04:42 PM »
Hats off to the English team for an amazing run. Special shout out to Jordan Pickford, who was a complete unknown to me before this cup since I don't follow the premier league, he was to this world cup what Manuel Neuer was to the previous world cup, easily the best goal keeper of the tournment IMO.
Also shout outs to Kane, Maguire, Sterling and Trippier.
When the match ended and they revealed the final draw with the teams for the final and the teams for the 3rd place matches, the 3rd place match looked like it would have made a much better and more deserved final than the actual final. England VS. Belgium final would have been awesome, still excited to see it though, I know it's gonna feel like the final to me.
Modrić, please lift that cup bro. I mean.. please.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2071 on: July 11, 2018, 03:14:44 PM »
And no, Kroos should/could go anywhere, but not to Bayern München. Would make the Bundesliga even more one-sided and boring.

Ok the Bundesliga could not get more one-sided and boring if they started playing chess instead of football and all the players gained a 100 pounds, it's hopeless. I'm eyeing the UEFA Champions League!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2072 on: July 11, 2018, 09:11:28 PM »
I'm glad it's not coming home. Croatia has had an amazing World Cup and I really look forward to see how the match unravels on sunday. That being said, they're going as severe underdogs against a much younger France.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2073 on: July 12, 2018, 12:10:24 AM »
Was kinda pulling for the Eng/France match up, but pretty stoked for Croatia. Should be  a good final.

In other news, los Xolos de Tijuana beat the Monarcas de Morelia in a friendly in Sacramento. My first Mexican league game was quite the experience, those fans are fucking nuts. I can only imagine what 80k of them packed into Estadio Azteca for the Chivas/America game would be like. Great time all around.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2074 on: July 12, 2018, 12:13:03 AM »
Also shout outs to Kane, Maguire, Sterling and Trippier.

Sterling?? What did he do but fuck up pretty much any chance he could have created for his team?
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2075 on: July 12, 2018, 12:37:24 AM »
Yeah, Sterling was definitely not in shape yesterday although in previous matches he did pretty well if I remember correctly.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2076 on: July 12, 2018, 03:40:26 AM »
All Sterling can do is run fast...

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2077 on: July 12, 2018, 03:48:03 AM »
2015 was his golden year for England!

people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2078 on: July 12, 2018, 05:12:00 AM »

I agree about yesterday, I was thinking overall since group stage.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2079 on: July 12, 2018, 06:59:16 AM »
I know you were, but I guess I just don't see how he contributed in any way to England's (admittedly, good world cup) performance. Personally my pick for the worst player of the team along with Kyle Walker (for him, mostly due to yesterday's game).

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2080 on: July 12, 2018, 10:03:59 AM »
I have no idea where Croatia got the energy from for that kind of second-half performance. Amazing. England looked tired, and seemed content trying to manage their 1:0. That almost never works though, especially not for 60 minutes.

Pretty sure France will mow over Croatia though. None of their star players are injured, they never played any overtime in the knockout games and will have had one more day or rest on Sunday.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2081 on: July 12, 2018, 12:09:32 PM »
These are highly trained athletes that normally do train for several hours almost each day. Does it really matter that Croatia has played more because of their overtimes. I find that hard to believe. Give 'em half a day off and everything's fine. But still I think that France will win and that it probably will be a boring game dictated by tactics.

And I think that Belgium vs. England for third place has the potential to be highly entertaining if both teams just play for the fun of it.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2082 on: July 12, 2018, 12:28:13 PM »
After a final ended on penalties (2006  :metal ) and two finals a in a row solved near the end of the overtime with the same stingy result (2010 and 2014), I hope for a classic, 90 minutes final with some goals.

France vs Argentina was the best match as far as emotions go: a team goes up, then goes down, then goes up again with a vengeance, and then the other team scores to keep things on suspence until the end.  The problem is that teams generally play finals not to win them, but to not lose them, and so tactics and fear dominate often a match.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2083 on: July 12, 2018, 12:29:53 PM »
I'm going to root for Croatia, but I'm pretty sure France is going to take the win. That said, I'm way more excited for a proper England - Belgium game, now that both teams don't have anything to lose really, I hope it's going to be great.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2084 on: July 13, 2018, 03:55:37 AM »
It's 20 years since France won gold so it would be cool if they did it now in that sense. However i'm rooting for Croatia, they're hungrig and will fight. It has the potential to be a great game.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2085 on: July 14, 2018, 10:04:51 AM »
Tintin got the better of Sherlock lads!
Good clean game, these teams are better sportsmen than tomorrow's teams but I guess that's partially why they're third and forth.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2086 on: July 14, 2018, 10:11:38 AM »
Belgium looked great and was a pleasure to watch. A well-deserved win, even though I was rooting for England. Good game overall too.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2087 on: July 14, 2018, 10:22:21 AM »
Belgium played brilliantly, despite England asking them questions in the second half. That goal-line clearance was incredible! And then the counter-attack to produce the second goal...wow!

Onwards to the Final now! I just hope we get a half-decent game this time. Finals rarely produce classic matches. The last three have gone to extra time, and only in 2006 was the score not 0-0 after 90 minutes.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2088 on: July 15, 2018, 09:33:34 AM »
Pretty good match so far!
I'm glad Lars is commenting on this one, I'm gonna miss him after this world cup haha

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #2089 on: July 15, 2018, 09:34:13 AM »
great game so far

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2090 on: July 15, 2018, 09:38:36 AM »
Officiating gods are on France's side in this one.  Oof.

Good match so far, but these calls/non-calls are brutal.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #2091 on: July 15, 2018, 09:59:20 AM »
that hand ball was questionable. but they replayed it then the ref watched it. so they properly used the technology. for that I give them credit.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2092 on: July 15, 2018, 10:06:05 AM »
The UK pundits were adamant that it shouldn't have been a penalty because the ref just couldn't have been certain that it was deliberate. But I'm sure I remember the rules (or perhaps the interpretation) changing a number of years ago such that handballs like that where the hand moves to the ball and it affects/disrupts play are a foul whether clearly intentional or not.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #2093 on: July 15, 2018, 10:21:17 AM »
I don't have a dog in this fight, but this game is why soccer is the greatest sport

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2094 on: July 15, 2018, 10:32:59 AM »
Would love for Crotia to turn this around, great game for a finale.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #2095 on: July 15, 2018, 10:35:05 AM »
Would love for Crotia to turn this around, great game for a finale.

agree

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2096 on: July 15, 2018, 10:54:59 AM »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2097 on: July 15, 2018, 10:58:32 AM »
Viva la France!

Well fought Crotia in this game and overall!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2098 on: July 15, 2018, 11:04:00 AM »
Good game this time from France, a well-deserved win. Croatia tried but failed to turn this around. Still, a joy to watch, great game.

Congrats France!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2099 on: July 15, 2018, 11:21:08 AM »
Heeeey Philipp Lahm is there!