Author Topic: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)  (Read 202408 times)

Online MirrorMask

Re: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)
« Reply #2030 on: July 10, 2018, 11:47:00 AM »
Ronaldo is signing with Juventus in a transfer from Real Madrid. :metal

Even though I root for AC Milan and therefore I don't give a rat's ass about Juventus, I'm happy and not jealous at all. The best player in the world comes in the italian championship and the whole system will benefit from it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2031 on: July 10, 2018, 01:55:41 PM »
France in the final 10 minutes played the most unsporting match in the entire tournament. Completely didn't deserve the win whatsoever.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2032 on: July 10, 2018, 02:00:55 PM »
I mean Belgium had like 40+ minutes to score after France scored, so I'm not sure what they were thinking. I'm also not sure about what Martinez had in mind with his substitution strategy. But anyway, France was just maddening to watch in the last 10 minutes + additional time. They weren't as much playing as they were just wasting time there. Fuck that. Whoever wins the tomorrow's game (hopefully England), I'm rooting for them in the Finals.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2033 on: July 10, 2018, 02:04:05 PM »
The Belgians were fuckin warriors! They played so much better than every other team in this cup, so unfair to see them go like that, that French team is even shittier than the Colombian one when it comes to mannerisms.
I hope the Croatians rub their faces in the grass.. but it's not likely.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2034 on: July 10, 2018, 02:08:26 PM »
Whoever wins the tomorrow's game (hopefully England), I'm rooting for them in the Finals.

Absolutely.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2035 on: July 10, 2018, 02:10:55 PM »
One thing that I don't understand about wasting time is that if for whatever reason the other team scores (and that happened plenty of times in this tournament), you no longer have the proper time to come back. Just play until the end, with all the attention to defense of course, but don't waste time 'cause suddenly you might find yourself in need of some.

Anyway, I hope either Croatia or England wins this thing.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2036 on: July 10, 2018, 02:22:24 PM »
One thing that I don't understand about wasting time is that if for whatever reason the other team scores (and that happened plenty of times in this tournament), you no longer have the proper time to come back. Just play until the end, with all the attention to defense of course, but don't waste time 'cause suddenly you might find yourself in need of some.

Anyway, I hope either Croatia or England wins this thing.

Just read an article the other day where researchers watched a bunch of World Cup games with stopwatches and tracked all the stoppage time that actually occurs in game and they found that the refs tend to undershoot it by a fair bit. So if you're ahead it absolutely makes sense to waste as much time as possible because the refs probably won't give your opponents all of it back and so they get less time to score.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2037 on: July 10, 2018, 02:25:33 PM »
Exactly. And that's why I wish FIFA would amend rules to implement a stop-watch based system, stop time when play stops, resume when it resumes and no stoppage time would be needed, much more fair.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2038 on: July 10, 2018, 02:55:38 PM »
Exactly. And that's why I wish FIFA would amend rules to implement a stop-watch based system, stop time when play stops, resume when it resumes and no stoppage time would be needed, much more fair.

That will never go down with TV rights, not knowing the exact time when the match will end...

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2039 on: July 10, 2018, 02:58:52 PM »

I think this could only be applied in let´s say the last 10 minutes of a game, otherwise the games would drag on forever. Think of all the times were the ball goes out of touch, or when there is a foul and teams need time to prepare the plays and it's not really wasting time.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2040 on: July 10, 2018, 03:34:11 PM »
Or they could just get on the refs to make accurate stoppage time calls.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2041 on: July 10, 2018, 03:57:42 PM »

That will never go down with TV rights, not knowing the exact time when the match will end...

I think this could only be applied in let´s say the last 10 minutes of a game, otherwise the games would drag on forever. Think of all the times were the ball goes out of touch, or when there is a foul and teams need time to prepare the plays and it's not really wasting time.

Applying it for the last 10 minutes or so is a great idea. It would take care of the TV issue MirrorMask mentioned.
But replying to what you said; I think I'd love to see that though, a sense of urgency throughout. So when there's a foul and the referee sprays his fuckin shaving cream on the grass, everyone would get behind it without arguing and behaving like children. I'm sick of that sight. They'll know the longer they waste time the longer they stay on the field.
And on the other hand think of all the time winners waste, it's criminal! I don't remember which game cause I watched all the games this world cup but it really aggravated me watching a substitution for the winners side and seeing the player slow motion dragging his ass out of the field, stopping a taking a moment to wipe his nose with his t-shirt and I thought yellow card! then the camera goes to the referee and he's having a drink of water..
Also since we're on the topic of rules that could be changed, red card for divers, period. Make an example of them and this whole thing will go away pretty fast. Review the VAR and trust the referee to make the judgement whether the hit was worth Neymaring around for a whole minute then red card the bitch.
And bring back silver or golden goals, penalty kicks are not fair, nor are they a quarter-decent measurement of a how better a team is. Keep playing until someone scores and it becomes a battle of stamina and persistence followed by well earned perseverance.

/rant

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2042 on: July 11, 2018, 01:09:37 AM »
Nah, silver and golden goals sucked.

I'm for having penalty kicks BEFORE the extra time, and have them be deciding only if after the extra time it's still a draw. That way you'd see the losing side with extra fire, maybe coming mostly for those who missed the penalties.

(And anyway, as unfair as penalty kicks might be, it's thrilling to watch them).

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2043 on: July 11, 2018, 01:39:15 AM »
Man, I hate Mbappe but that was a quality game yesterday. Hazard was good this game, but France was the better team overall ever so slightly.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2044 on: July 11, 2018, 02:30:27 AM »
Nah, silver and golden goals sucked.

Yes, they do.

But there's one exception: Oliver Bierhoff's goal in the 96 european championship final  :metal :metal :metal  :biggrin:

Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2045 on: July 11, 2018, 03:52:21 AM »

Applying it for the last 10 minutes or so is a great idea. It would take care of the TV issue MirrorMask mentioned.
But replying to what you said; I think I'd love to see that though, a sense of urgency throughout. So when there's a foul and the referee sprays his fuckin shaving cream on the grass, everyone would get behind it without arguing and behaving like children. I'm sick of that sight. They'll know the longer they waste time the longer they stay on the field.
And on the other hand think of all the time winners waste, it's criminal! I don't remember which game cause I watched all the games this world cup but it really aggravated me watching a substitution for the winners side and seeing the player slow motion dragging his ass out of the field, stopping a taking a moment to wipe his nose with his t-shirt and I thought yellow card! then the camera goes to the referee and he's having a drink of water..
Also since we're on the topic of rules that could be changed, red card for divers, period. Make an example of them and this whole thing will go away pretty fast. Review the VAR and trust the referee to make the judgement whether the hit was worth Neymaring around for a whole minute then red card the bitch.
And bring back silver or golden goals, penalty kicks are not fair, nor are they a quarter-decent measurement of a how better a team is. Keep playing until someone scores and it becomes a battle of stamina and persistence followed by well earned perseverance.

/rant

This is all fantastic.

I'm for having penalty kicks BEFORE the extra time, and have them be deciding only if after the extra time it's still a draw. That way you'd see the losing side with extra fire, maybe coming mostly for those who missed the penalties.

(And anyway, as unfair as penalty kicks might be, it's thrilling to watch them).

And this is an even better idea, although you might get the winning team to be literally defending their goal with 11 players for the entire duration.
Squ

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2046 on: July 11, 2018, 04:24:30 AM »
True - that's the only downside of it. But if you won the penalty shootouts, it's up to you to chose to park the bus as a defensive strategy, and that is not a 100% effective strategy. You have to never ever make a single mistake for 30 minutes straight, while the other team has nothing to lose. It should be tested in some competitions to see how it actually goes...

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #2047 on: July 11, 2018, 05:33:05 AM »
It's not a bad idea but I don't think it will really make the overtime more interesting. It's really no different than what we've seen in a lot of games. Once you have the lead (regardless of how you got it, via penaltay shootout or a fieldgoal early in overtime) you play it save and as the end draws near you will try to waste as much time as possible. The other team will try to score but will not risk it all, because if a counterattack is successfull you almost have no chance to make a comeback. Maybe in the last couple of minutes you give up your defense but probably not sooner.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2048 on: July 11, 2018, 06:00:46 AM »
Oh my, so much hate to read, and so many non objective people :D
The match wasn't great, tho stressful, but we just won, 100% won.
And we were convinced belgium was going to win until the match.

It was cool having minimum big fouls, and minimum neymarism (comedy).
The guys wounded yesterday were french, apart hazard the belgians didn't played like ballerinas.

The only reason belgium lost is because their 4-5 huge opportunities weren't aimed to the cage, period !
It's not our fault if they got unlucky or whatever made them miss every shot and every head :)
They just didn't play well enough to win.
Lukaku and de bruyne were nearly invisible, to help the least.

Remember 98' and you'll know sportmanship is better now than then

I don't like penalties, especially for the last 10 matches of the cup, as an exemple Croatia began the competition very well, and played less brillantly each match, and won twice at penalties because they made too many wrong decisions and didn't win.
Winning a world cup at penalties is a minor victory and has very less class than a positive score.
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2049 on: July 11, 2018, 07:35:56 AM »

It's on the right track, but it still could be abused. There needs to be certain situations when the clock doesn't stop, otherwise players would just keep kicking the ball out of play if they need to buy some time.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2050 on: July 11, 2018, 09:25:48 AM »
Oh my, so much hate to read, and so many non objective people :D
The match wasn't great, tho stressful, but we just won, 100% won.
And we were convinced belgium was going to win until the match.

It was cool having minimum big fouls, and minimum neymarism (comedy).
The guys wounded yesterday were french, apart hazard the belgians didn't played like ballerinas.

The only reason belgium lost is because their 4-5 huge opportunities weren't aimed to the cage, period !
It's not our fault if they got unlucky or whatever made them miss every shot and every head :)
They just didn't play well enough to win.
Lukaku and de bruyne were nearly invisible, to help the least.

Remember 98' and you'll know sportmanship is better now than then
I don't think there's any doubt that France played better than Belgium yesterday, wasn't a complete steamroll though, I think Belgium put up a good fight. It's hard for a player like Lukaku to shine when very little direct chances on goal are created by the team. I believe they even had more ball possession and passes, just didn't create a lot of big chances.

Meanwhile, France did create some huge chances, but like always, Giroud fucks up big time during his international games. I seriously don't get it man, we know how good this guy can be, but never pulls it off with France. It's like Rooney for England.

Super excited for today's game. At this point hoping for either France to win because of their performance in this tournament, or Croatia because of the love for dark horses and despite my hatred towards Real Madrid, my love for Modric
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2051 on: July 11, 2018, 09:50:23 AM »
I'm undecided between Croatia and "whoever might defeat France in the final" (probably England).

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2052 on: July 11, 2018, 10:11:45 AM »

It's on the right track, but it still could be abused. There needs to be certain situations when the clock doesn't stop, otherwise players would just keep kicking the ball out of play if they need to buy some time.

In my mind they wouldn't want to though, because their main concern would be exhaustion.

Hey what's been everybody's favorite goal of the cup so far?
Mine is Kroos against Sweden, man I lost my shit when he scored that goal. It's just so brilliant! I might be wrong but I think the purpose of that initial pass before the shot is to break the goal keeper's line of sight with the ball so it would be too late when he sees it, cause I think that was savable if Kroos had just shot right away from the free kick. Which makes it even more amazing that they executed it that way.
I really wish he would transfer to Bayren.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #2053 on: July 11, 2018, 10:24:48 AM »
According to Reuss and Kroos, they planned it that way and Kroos didn't want to shoot directly because the angle was too steep.

And no, Kroos should/could go anywhere, but not to Bayern München. Would make the Bundesliga even more one-sided and boring.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2054 on: July 11, 2018, 10:48:33 AM »
Heading to the bar for today's match. Go England!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #2055 on: July 11, 2018, 10:57:39 AM »
Should be a good game.

England v France would be interesting, but I think Croatia has a better chance v France. A bit more physical to rattle the French.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2056 on: July 11, 2018, 11:40:47 AM »
Best goal of the tournament? Easy: Pavard against Argentina https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov39iGAgEn4

Go Croatia :metal

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2057 on: July 11, 2018, 01:13:01 PM »
I'm neutral. Croatia does not have her shit together though, at all. And England is missing most ridiculous opportunities. I'm worried about the final here, who ever is gonna get me the shots of French players weeping needs to step up their game :lol

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2058 on: July 11, 2018, 01:32:19 PM »
Croatia has tightly reassembled their shit  :biggrin:
Seriously it's like it's not even the same team from the first half heh

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2059 on: July 11, 2018, 01:51:51 PM »
Three extra times in a row. Unreal. Imagine Croatia going to the finals with yet another penalty shootout. Maybe they will win the whole thing with 4 draws in a row  :lol

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2060 on: July 11, 2018, 01:52:03 PM »
Seriously it's like it's not even the same team from the first half heh

And England is fucking up everything is this second half.
Squ

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2061 on: July 11, 2018, 02:11:20 PM »
The Croatians have started falling over all the time and it's really annoying.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2062 on: July 11, 2018, 02:19:36 PM »
Then again the English keep passing it dangerously back to the goalkeeper, which is also really annoying.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2063 on: July 11, 2018, 02:39:45 PM »
OMFG Croatia won  :o :metal

The underdog against the historical inaccurancy (the french reaching Moscow), with 3 extra times in a row and one day less of rest..... it's gonna be a carnage but at this point it's really up to them to find the strenghts to do the unthinkable and win!!!

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2064 on: July 11, 2018, 02:40:08 PM »
England played terribly in the second half. I'm sorry to say that, because I would have liked England to go to the finals.
Squ