Author Topic: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)  (Read 202440 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)
« Reply #1995 on: July 06, 2018, 03:02:05 PM »
I've read that this is the first time since 1930 (yeah, the first edition) where there's not either Brazil, Italy or Germany in the semi finals. They won 13 Cups together - the teams left have won 2 in total, and one was so long ago that no player of this cup (and give or take going back as far as 2002) was alive when that happened.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1996 on: July 07, 2018, 03:50:05 AM »
Best save of the tournament for me definitely was from the Japanese keeper against Belgium. Cannot find any videos of it but he saved a header from a couple meters away in the corner and then saved the rebound as well. Absolutely world-class. Too bad he made some rookie mistakes in that very same game too :lol but that save still definitely stands as the best of the WC2018

Too bad Brazil didn't play as brilliantly the rest of the game as they did in the last 12 or so minutes, that was great to watch. But all around it was a great game, since Belgium were a lot of fun in the first half.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1997 on: July 07, 2018, 04:14:39 AM »
One thing that I realized is that now basically anyone has a concrete shot at winning the Cup - and they know it.

In a normal tournament, it's fun to daydream but you know deep down that Brazil, Germany, Spain and the likes are there. Here ALL the mighty have fallen, save for France who is used to be there, and so every team can think "oh shit - we play well a couple of matches against other Why-Are-They-Even-Here teams and we win it".

By now I think that the history of the teams no longer matter - it matters only their current form, both physical and psychological, and their hunger. The king is dead, the throne is vacant and anyone wants to sit on it - and they realistically could.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1998 on: July 07, 2018, 07:30:48 AM »

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1999 on: July 07, 2018, 07:37:40 AM »
 :lol

Rooting for England here. Excited as hell for today's games!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2000 on: July 07, 2018, 08:01:08 AM »
Let's go Sweden! :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2001 on: July 07, 2018, 08:49:08 AM »
Well, as far as the first half goes, England looked better. Their keeper pretty much didn't have anything to do. I'm curious if Sweden has something up their sleeve for the second half.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2002 on: July 07, 2018, 09:03:45 AM »
Pretty entertaining game, England is definitely the deserved leader so far. Maybe a surprise goal by Sweden could make things more interesting for both sides though :tup
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2003 on: July 07, 2018, 09:14:52 AM »
Yea dosen't look good for Sweden right now.  :-[
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2004 on: July 07, 2018, 09:26:08 AM »
Sweden aren't playing like they are down 2 goals. This England team seem very poised so far and creating several chances even with being ahead.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2005 on: July 07, 2018, 09:52:29 AM »
Congrats England!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2006 on: July 07, 2018, 09:56:09 AM »
Good game. England looked better, and I liked that they didn't stop after their second goal, but continued to attack instead. However if Sweden did score in the beginning of the second half, who knows how the game would've went. I'm glad for England to get to semifinals with such a young team, good job.

Now it's time to get some beer and prepare for my team playing against Croatia, let's see how that goes.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2007 on: July 07, 2018, 09:56:32 AM »
Well, England deserved it.

So, the most unusual final could be Belgium vs Croatia. The most "noble" final would be two one-time world champions: France vs England.

An historical rivalry settled into the land where no conqueror ever won  :biggrin:

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2008 on: July 07, 2018, 09:59:32 AM »
I would watch the hell out of France vs England. Or Belgium vs England now that the result actually matters.

I don't have much faith in our team against England, so yeah. :lol I guess we may win against Croatia, but England is probably going to dominate us if it comes to that.

Gonna poke Tomislav on Facebook now.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2009 on: July 07, 2018, 11:13:56 AM »
Opeth? Flower Kings? Beardfish? Pain of Salvation? Can you hear me? Your boys took one hell of a beating! :metal

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2010 on: July 07, 2018, 12:33:36 PM »
Opeth? Flower Kings? Beardfish? Pain of Salvation? Can you hear me? Your boys took one hell of a beating! :metal

LOL, if it was all about music, it would be hard to not root for England (especially since the nation of our own DT isn't present). Beatles and Rolling Stones.... Led Zeppelin... Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden.... I mean, it all started there!

Meanwhile, Russia scored a gigantic goal!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2011 on: July 07, 2018, 12:34:24 PM »
 :metal :metal :metal

Edit: fuck! :lol
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 12:42:23 PM by Evermind »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2012 on: July 07, 2018, 12:43:01 PM »
You forgot to call out ABBA and IKEA!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2013 on: July 07, 2018, 02:38:18 PM »
Great game, the game just went up 200% after Russia scored.

Too bad it went too penalties imo.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2014 on: July 07, 2018, 02:41:53 PM »
Man, mad props to Subasic for staying in and still doing great, he had some great saves against a stronger Russia in the last 15 minutes. Despite seemingly getting injured in the 89th minute.

Also where the fuck does Modric get all his energy? :lol Still running at full speed when all the other players in the field are barely standing.

Fun game, but again Croatia not showing their full potential. I'm pretty neutral right now to be honest.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2015 on: July 07, 2018, 02:44:01 PM »
Damn, this will be intense!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2016 on: July 07, 2018, 03:02:44 PM »
I've seen some bad penalty kicks this tournament, but Smolov takes the cake for worst on-target penalty kick for sure

Congrats to Croatia for making the semis for the first time in 20 (?) years :metal

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2017 on: July 07, 2018, 03:07:33 PM »
I mean, Fernandez gets a pass because he actually scored in the extra time. Smolov doesn't. What the fuck was that, man. What the hell.

I feel pretty bad for Akinfeev, he saved one penalty and almost saved the next one.

Oh well, that's a well deserved win for Croatia anyway. Russia did nothing in the second half and only woke up in the second extra-time half. But I'm going to root for England anyway, mostly because I love England and I hope their young team will win the whole thing.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2018 on: July 07, 2018, 03:29:30 PM »
Well, weird how either one would have reached the semifinals after two draws (technically a game which ends on penalties is a draw), but well, someone has to go through.

So, France vs England is the announced final, let's see what Belgium and Croatia will do!

And I hope Putin will show some clemency to the guys who screwed up their penalties  :lol seriously, it's the first penalty of a quarter final of a world cup, why oh why do you have to make that weird kick made famous by Totti?

Offline jammindude

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2020 on: July 08, 2018, 01:36:05 AM »
You forgot to call out ABBA and IKEA!

This is a prog forum dammit! :P

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2021 on: July 08, 2018, 02:32:11 AM »
I'm really happy for my team :) I wouldn't be mad if they lost two next matches tbh but I think it's not impossible for them to win England. It's gonna be a fine match either way.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2022 on: July 10, 2018, 01:30:40 AM »
France vs. Belgium is probably my most anticipated game of the tournament. I'm getting flashbacks to 2 years ago where we all thought that whoever was going to win the Germany/France semi-final would surely go on to win the whole thing, but then Portugal won. :lol So I'm not going to make any claims that the stronger bracket will be the winning one.

There isn't really any team I am rooting for at this point, I liked France Belgium and Croatia from the beginning and England haven't done too bad either.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2023 on: July 10, 2018, 01:51:39 AM »
I root for Belgium of course, when it comes to football italians and frenchies will hate each other until the end of time, just like any other neighbour ever all over the world  :metal

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2024 on: July 10, 2018, 02:16:41 AM »
Uhhh no. The Netherlands and Belgium love each other :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2025 on: July 10, 2018, 02:21:06 AM »
When it comes to all neighbouring and in-cities rivalry (United and City for Manchester, Inter and Milan for Milan etc), I'd say that these rivalries are like marriages: ok, for you who is personally involved, it's the most important thing in the world, but all over the world they're happening exactly the same, and nobody cares about yours  ;D

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2026 on: July 10, 2018, 02:21:32 AM »
Yeah, also rooting for Belgium today. Should be a curious game.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2027 on: July 10, 2018, 02:25:30 AM »
Yeah, Belgium is my favourite of the four remaining teams now.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2028 on: July 10, 2018, 07:40:41 AM »
Yea i'm rooting for Belgium too.  :tup

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #2029 on: July 10, 2018, 10:36:43 AM »
Ronaldo is signing with Juventus in a transfer from Real Madrid. :metal