Author Topic: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)  (Read 202401 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)
« Reply #1960 on: July 03, 2018, 10:14:44 AM »
Yay!

I thought the game was kind of boring. A bit exciting at the end but mostly because the push for a goal by the Swiss and the Swedes trying to defend.

We haven't reached a quarter final since 94 so that's of course exciting.  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1961 on: July 03, 2018, 10:16:58 AM »
It was 1 - 0 though.

Debating if I should watch England or just go to sleep, haha.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1962 on: July 03, 2018, 11:15:38 AM »
Sweden wins 2 - 0 against Switzerland!
???

I think the difference between excitement of the games in the 'strong' and 'weak' halves of the bracket is insane so far, hope Colombia and England can break the pattern tonight.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1963 on: July 03, 2018, 11:31:30 AM »
It was 1 - 0 though.

Indeed, silly me.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1964 on: July 03, 2018, 01:17:21 PM »
Not sure what the Columbian players are complaining about, that was such a clear cut penalty. It was basically a wrestling move.

EDIT: Commentator has also noticed some of the players scuffing up the penalty spot while others protest at the referee. Utterly awful behaviour.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1965 on: July 03, 2018, 01:20:24 PM »
Not sure what the Columbian players are complaining about, that was such a clear cut penalty. It was basically a wrestling move.

EDIT: Commentator has also noticed some of the players scuffing up the penalty spot while others protest at the referee. Utterly awful behaviour.

Indeed. The foul was there. What's the point in whining over and over for the penalty? I now root for England.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1966 on: July 03, 2018, 01:55:05 PM »
Holy shit!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1967 on: July 03, 2018, 01:56:59 PM »
lol

Classic England.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1968 on: July 03, 2018, 02:01:22 PM »
Typical England. Columbia are a disgrace though, and this American ref is out of his depths.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1969 on: July 03, 2018, 02:20:44 PM »
The controversy about the penalty is not about whether he made a foul. Kane (supposedly, that's another discussion) fouled the Colombian player before that, which would make it a free kick for Colombia.

Anyway, pretty mediocre game, and gross playing by both teams. Wouldn't mind seeing both teams drop from the tournament despite my love for Falcao.

Also this

this American ref is out of his depths.

Just hoping for PKs at this point because what the hell, make them suffer a bit longer :lol
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1970 on: July 03, 2018, 02:53:24 PM »
YEEEEEEEEAASAHHHH
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1971 on: July 03, 2018, 02:53:56 PM »
Bloody hell that was tense.

Not a great game, but overall I do think England deserved it more than Colombia. Not sure it's looking all that great for the rest of the Cup though!

I be am boner inducing.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1972 on: July 03, 2018, 02:54:27 PM »
That one hand save was crazy.  :omg:

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1973 on: July 03, 2018, 02:55:02 PM »
I literally only watched the last 10 minutes snd the penalty shootout because I was busy working on the new hoise, but what a fantastic end to my evening this is. I literally shouted ‘YES!’ at Eric Dier’s winning penalty. Fucking great this is.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online faizoff

« Reply #1974 on: July 03, 2018, 03:23:01 PM »
On to the quaterfinals!

France v Uruguay
Brazil v Belgium
Russia v Croatia
Sweden v England
Picks are France, Brazil, Croatia, Sweden.

Knowing how my picks went last time, I'm quite sure I'll get at least one right.
Didn't get to see any matches today. Did catch the end of regular time of England - Colombia, I can only imagine how the English fans felt after that super late equalizer. Glad they made it to the next round.
Ideally I'd like a Belgium v Croatia final.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1975 on: July 03, 2018, 03:25:33 PM »
Did they take notice from me about how to shoot penalty kicks?  :lol Croatia and Denmark kicked them all very lousy, these ones were all powerful and aimed high. Of course Colombia proved the fatal flaw in aiming high where the goalkeeper can't reach it, if you're not precise, you hit the post.

France vs Uruguay... hope for Uruguay, I assume France
Brazil vs Belgium.... hope for Belgium, I assume Brazil

Russia vs Croatia... probably Croatia
Sweden vs England... maybe England, dunno. They're the "expert" ones of their half of the table, the only ones who reached a final.... in the last millennium  :D

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1976 on: July 03, 2018, 03:43:26 PM »
Ecstatic to see these Colombian team lose, especially after getting so close. Vile assholes.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1977 on: July 03, 2018, 03:49:17 PM »
I feel bad for James Rodriguez, you could tell he wanted to try and make the difference so bad

Anyway, my picks for semis are: France, Belgium, Croatia and England. Just listing these as the last 4 countries in a world cup feels crazy, holy shit, this world cup is crazy.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1978 on: July 03, 2018, 06:53:49 PM »
My picks...

Uruguay
Brazil
Croatia
Sweden

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1979 on: July 03, 2018, 10:51:51 PM »
England winning a penalty shootout in a big tourney? What's next? Unicorns? Mike Portnoy and Kevin Moore recording with Dream Theater?

Anyway, not really good games but congrats to England and Sweden. They got the job done.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1980 on: July 03, 2018, 11:29:21 PM »
Colombia looked a half-decent team once they started playing football.

As for our lot, excellent control in the first half, looked comfortable on the ball. But here's the kicker, across 120 minutes we created almost nothing.

Still, we won a penalty shoot-out, and that's reason enough for a national celebration :lol
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1981 on: July 04, 2018, 03:52:46 AM »
Colombia's coach at times, depending on the way you looked at him, kinda resembled Roger Waters  ;D

Anyway I think that Uruguay vs France and Brazil vs Belgium are somehow the "real" semi-finals of the tournament. And the resulting match out of those two winners will be the anticipated final. Then after that "not exactly final", it will probably be a formality to face in the actual final whoever comes up from the other side of the panel.

Then again this is the "never say never" Cup and Croatia or England might win the whole thing.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1982 on: July 04, 2018, 07:55:11 PM »
Still heartbroken about Colombia losing, but I'm proud of the team anyways. Brought England to its knees in a very physical game on the extra time with our main player and two other ones injured. Neutralized a very offensive and assembled team like the English, which wasn't an easy task. And the penalties are a lottery anyway.

Mark Geiger was atrocious, for both sides. I'll be the first to say that Barrios deserved a red card for giving in foolishly to those  provocations of the English defender on that free kick (Maguire?) and trying to headbutt him. Geiger also stopped a legal play that would have ended in a Colombia goal for no apparent reason. Had no control over the players, giving yellow cards to some for barely protesting (Falcao) while others were given free tackles with no cards given.

Since England are the ones who kicked us out I'll follow the South American custom of rooting for any team that goes against them (Worked for Brazil in 2014 :lol ). I want the cup to stay in South America so I'll root for Uruguay and Brazil. And if an European team must win, I hope it's Croatia.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1983 on: July 06, 2018, 07:45:58 AM »
Uruguay - France coming up next!!!

Will Mbappè crown himself the real king of the Cup, after the mighty have fallen (Ronaldo and Messi), or a Cavani-less Uruguay will inflict another sorrow to the frenchies, which just like the germans should be used to get their ass kicked while in Russia?

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1984 on: July 06, 2018, 08:01:44 AM »
Quarter-finals about to begin:

France - 6 letters
Uruguay - 7 letters

Brazil - 6 letters
Belgium - 7 letters

Russia - 6 letters
Croatia - 7 letters

Sweden - 6 letters
England - 7 letters

6 + 7 = 13.

You know what else has 13 letters? "IT'S COMING HOME!"

Come on England!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1985 on: July 06, 2018, 09:48:14 AM »
This Cavani-less Uruguay squad was just hopeless, so much unnecessary ball loss, and not to speak of the friggin 2-0 :lol Deschamps really needs to sack Umtiti though, he is the obvious weak point in France's defence, has been the entire tournament

Hope Brazil - Belgium will be more exciting.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1986 on: July 06, 2018, 09:50:53 AM »
Say that somehow Belgium wins - we'd know already this evening that for the third time in a row there would be an european world champion, and just like 2006, there would be all european teams in the semifinals.

It's Brazil against the rest of Europe basically.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1987 on: July 06, 2018, 09:54:28 AM »
This Cavani-less Uruguay squad was just hopeless, so much unnecessary ball loss, and not to speak of the friggin 2-0 :lol

I agree. It was sad to watch, to be honest, especially because I was rooting for Uruguay in this one.

Heading out to my favourite local bar to watch Brazil vs Belgium, hopefully it'll be interesting.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1988 on: July 06, 2018, 12:33:51 PM »
Damn that was a fantastic goal!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1989 on: July 06, 2018, 12:49:44 PM »
Damn that was a fantastic goal!

Indeed! Whenever Belgium restarts, I'm happy to not be a brazilian fan otherwise my pants would be ruined! awesome second goal!

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1990 on: July 06, 2018, 12:51:26 PM »
Very exciting game so far! Happy with Belgium so far, although I guess they could play more tightly in defense, the first ten minutes were pretty alarming.

Can't wait for the second half!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1991 on: July 06, 2018, 01:58:07 PM »
Belgium did! Brazil has fallen!

All european semi final!

Fourth World Cup in a row won by an european!

Now really I root for Belgium against France and then I really don't care who wins, may the best team left get the cup!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1992 on: July 06, 2018, 02:01:27 PM »
Yaay Belgium, no more Neymar :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1993 on: July 06, 2018, 02:03:56 PM »
This Belgium Brazil game was absolutely insane. The Brazil team is super talented and I think when they weren't diving, which was considerably less this game comparatively, they created chances like no other. The second half was relentless, I really thought Brazil would equalize and then take the lead. Insane game. I hope tomorrow's games are somewhat in this realm.

Too bad the final couldn't be France v Belgium. That would've amazing.

Man of the Match goes to the Belgium goalkeeper, that save of Neymar's kick right at the end was phenomenal. That was the best save of this world cup so far.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1994 on: July 06, 2018, 02:55:02 PM »
Man of the Match goes to the Belgium goalkeeper, that save of Neymar's kick right at the end was phenomenal. That was the best save of this world cup so far.

I would say the save Lloris did earlier against Uruguay rivals it.

Really happy for Belgium though. That was a fun game to watch and pretty much everyone at the bar was rooting for them. I too thought Brazil will equalize it in the end but glad it didn't happen.