Author Topic: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)  (Read 202358 times)

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
Re: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)
« Reply #1925 on: July 02, 2018, 01:42:55 AM »
The more surprising how many of them choose to shoot the ball straight down the middle.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1926 on: July 02, 2018, 01:52:28 AM »
A lot of goalkeepers chose a corner to jump into before the player shoots the ball, therefore the middle is free and the risk of the ball going wide is low. I've often thought that if the goalkeeper just remains standing in the middle he will catch more balls than when jumping into a corner. But sure it doesn't look that spectacular and I'm probably wrong, but it would be interesting to see if there are statistics about that.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1927 on: July 02, 2018, 01:54:21 AM »
I've only just now seen the foul that caused the penalty in the extra time for Croatia. Glad they're out to be honest, that was so dirty by Jorgenson or whatever he is called, how is that not a red card?
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1928 on: July 02, 2018, 01:58:22 AM »
A lot of goalkeepers chose a corner to jump into before the player shoots the ball, therefore the middle is free and the risk of the ball going wide is low. I've often thought that if the goalkeeper just remains standing in the middle he will catch more balls than when jumping into a corner. But sure it doesn't look that spectacular and I'm probably wrong, but it would be interesting to see if there are statistics about that.

Also goalkeepers tend to throw themselves so that's why you should aim high.

Anyway, statistics also say that the team going first has better chances to win - Spain and Denmark both went first and both went out  :D

I've only just now seen the foul that caused the penalty in the extra time for Croatia. Glad they're out to be honest, that was so dirty by Jorgenson or whatever he is called, how is that not a red card?

I've read on another forum that fouls in the goal area are no longer punished with a red card. I assume they decided that penalty AND a red card is too severe.

And maybe I remember wrong, but the guy "just" held back the croatian striker causing him to fall. Frankly I think he did the "right" thing, that was a 100% goal, with few minutes left to play. At least with a penalty there's a chance to miss it - and Schmeichel actually saved it - but without the foul, it was surely the end. I saw it as a "jump on the landmine" moment.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1929 on: July 02, 2018, 02:03:00 AM »
Anyway, people only ever talk about it if the penalty is missed like here and with Uruguay - Ghana in 2010. These two scenarios are essentially identical, only this time the fouling team lost the penalty kicks :laugh:

It is the most logical thing to do strategically, I don't disagree, but that doesn't take away that I think it is super nasty
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #1930 on: July 02, 2018, 02:04:34 AM »
Aparently there are statistics https://www.thestatszone.com/statistical-insight-into-penalty-shootouts-where-to-place-your-penalty

and I'm not that far off in my opinion  :biggrin:

So what’s the best strategy?

It might be the boring option, but shooting straight down the middle is likely to give you the best results. It reduces your chance of missing and for the moment the goalkeepers tend to vacate that space. Obviously if every player does it then goalkeepers will start to adjust and stay in the middle more (which we think they should do anyway). But in a one off penalty shootout where the stakes are high and the adrenaline is running, most goalkeepers won’t happen to have the presence of mind to make the adjustment. It’s likely that adjustment would only come after a number of shootouts where players aim predominantly down the middle of the goal.

If he had tried to injure the player I would consider it dirty. As it is it was unfair (as every foul is) but he just tried to make him stumble, maybe he even thought he had a chance of hitting the ball. And what was he going to do? Watch the croatian player score the goal or do something at the risk of getting a card and/or a penalty, which always has the chance of going astray as we've seen.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1931 on: July 02, 2018, 02:09:12 AM »
Anyway, people only ever talk about it if the penalty is missed like here and with Uruguay - Ghana in 2010. These two scenarios are essentially identical, only this time the fouling team lost the penalty kicks :laugh:

These are not identical at all. With Uruguay - Ghana there wasn't a chance the ball would go wide, it was a fucking goal, except for Suarez's hand which he held up with the sole purpose of stopping Ghana from scoring. Honestly, the rules here are flawed and that should have been counted as a goal. Can you tell I'm still pissed about that?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1932 on: July 02, 2018, 02:17:03 AM »
Agree to disagree, I don't think there's any way he could have possibly missed the goal with no keeper in it looking straight at it. From a strategic standpoint, they are two players who, in my view, did everything in their power to stop a goal without being in reach of the ball to do so, so one of them goes for a handball to reach the ball that he couldn't hit with his head, and the other goes for the striker's legs since he is not within reach of the ball anymore.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1933 on: July 02, 2018, 07:34:25 AM »
Brazil vs Mexico in half an hour.

The five time world champions against a team that is precise as a swiss clock in getting eliminated in the round of 16, which happened six consecutive times since 1994. Seventh time's the charm? go Mexico go!!!  :yarr
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1934 on: July 02, 2018, 08:00:54 AM »
Game on!!! Vamos El Tri!!!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1935 on: July 02, 2018, 09:09:13 AM »
Shit.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1936 on: July 02, 2018, 09:50:06 AM »
Shit.

7th time in a row. Looks like they have a hard stop at world cups.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1937 on: July 02, 2018, 09:54:39 AM »
The six minutes of overtime are, I assume, to compensate for all the time Neymar spent rolling on the field whining like a little b*tch?

Sorry for Mexico. They must have round of 16 terrors by now!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1938 on: July 02, 2018, 10:03:38 AM »
Didn't compare to the first 2 knock-outs, but definitely more entertaining than yesterday's. Deserved win by Brazil, but hope Belgium vs. Japan will be a bit more fun.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1939 on: July 02, 2018, 10:37:48 AM »
The six minutes of overtime are, I assume, to compensate for all the time Neymar spent rolling on the field whining like a little b*tch?

Fucking right? I've never watched a full Brazil game with him before, but her surpassed all expectations of being a dramatic twat.

Brazil's defense on the other hand was no fucking joke, El Tri couldn't get an edge there.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1940 on: July 02, 2018, 10:39:06 AM »
Shit.

7th time in a row. Looks like they have a hard stop at world cups.

I know, those poor guys. I was hoping they'd make a serious run too since I'm hitting up a Mexican league game next week, could've made for a hell of an environment if they were still running.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1941 on: July 02, 2018, 12:06:47 PM »
Seems like this could be an interesting game, judging from the first 5 mins.

I'm not sure who i'm rooting for, I like both Japan and Belgium.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1942 on: July 02, 2018, 12:28:07 PM »
I'm not sure who i'm rooting for, I like both Japan and Belgium.

The 13 years old in me is just happy to see Kagawa against Lukaku, since both names remind the italian words for poop and the act of pooping  ;D

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1943 on: July 02, 2018, 12:32:18 PM »
 :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1944 on: July 02, 2018, 12:58:21 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F9jXYOH2c0

Now this is a penalty shootout

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1945 on: July 02, 2018, 01:10:38 PM »
holy shit :omg:

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1946 on: July 02, 2018, 01:17:09 PM »
What the hell Belgium?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1947 on: July 02, 2018, 01:24:30 PM »
This will be known as the underdog WC.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1948 on: July 02, 2018, 01:32:07 PM »
ALRIGHTY Belgium!

What a game

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1949 on: July 02, 2018, 02:30:45 PM »
Saw just a few minutes of the first game, only thing I remember is Neymar having a seizure during the game.
The second game holy crap! I didn't watch it live and was amazed at the score. I went ahead and then rewatched the second half of the game. Wow this Belgium team is amazing and I think they have the depth to beat Brazil. Crazy game.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1950 on: July 02, 2018, 03:15:16 PM »
We'll see how Belgium will perform. So far they met two of the easiest teams to face of the Cup, England while already qualified and with them determined to lose to go on the easy side of the panel, and they got 2 goals from Japan in 5 minutes. You can come back from that but not from 2 goals from Brazil. We'll see.

Poor Japan! How popular is in your country (I could tell the name but I know only the italian version of it, and I don't even know if the names are kept right.... here they called them Oliver Hatton and Mark Lenders) the japan cartoon about young kids playing soccer with crazy sheaningans and impossible goals? in Italy it's very popular and comments about Japan being those team of kids abound on social networks  :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1951 on: July 02, 2018, 03:21:48 PM »
Saw just a few minutes of the first game, only thing I remember is Neymar having a seizure during the game.

Same here. Turned it on, saw Neymar pounding the grass like an petulant child. Thought "as expected".
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1952 on: July 02, 2018, 03:44:41 PM »
Saw the first half, went grocery shoping. When I came back 2-0 to Japan :o, prepared some food and came back 3-2 to Belgium!! WTF!?  :lol

Have to rewatch the game because I pretty much missed everything.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #1953 on: July 03, 2018, 12:22:11 AM »
I don't know if I should be sad for Japan that they went out in the last minute of the game or if I should be in awe for Belgium to come back after being down two goals in the second half.

Some of the refs should start giving Neymar cards for faking it. His behaviour is so repulsive, it's the main reason why I hope Brazil doesn't win the cup.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1954 on: July 03, 2018, 01:05:37 AM »
So today we'll see how Sweden and England will do: they're the only team left in their half of the panel to have ever reached a final.

Only once each.

And that was in the 50's and the 60's.

Basically there is no player in this World Cup (and I assume you can say that even as far as the 2002 world cup) that was alive when either Sweden or England played their only final. One finalist of this Cup is gonna basically be a novelty anyway, let's see how extreme that novelty will be.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1955 on: July 03, 2018, 01:47:35 AM »
Wow this Belgium team is amazing and I think they have the depth to beat Brazil. Crazy game.
Did we watch the same game? Belgium were on their way to conceding 3 goals from Japan within like 10-15 minutes, their defense was terrible. Their only hope against Brazil I can see is from the brilliant De Bruyne/Mertens passes onto Lukaku, but otherwise, neh. Really happy they made it through though because while I do have Belgian friends, the only Japanese friend I have is not involved in football at all. Was kind of hoping for penalties though.

Really excited for Colombia - England, and while Sweden - Switzerland doesn't interest me a whole lot, I do like the Swedish side a lot and have always found Switzerland super boring, so here's to hoping for a Colombia - Sweden matchup in the quarters.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1956 on: July 03, 2018, 02:36:15 AM »
So today we'll see how Sweden and England will do: they're the only team left in their half of the panel to have ever reached a final.

Only once each.

And that was in the 50's and the 60's.

Basically there is no player in this World Cup (and I assume you can say that even as far as the 2002 world cup) that was alive when either Sweden or England played their only final. One finalist of this Cup is gonna basically be a novelty anyway, let's see how extreme that novelty will be.
Funny fact: Not many in Sweden are aware of the silver in 58 however our bronze in 94 and the team that played are national treasures in Sweden. You could ask any person in Sweden and they could atleast name 2-3 players from the 94 team. However ask them about the players from 58 and it's total blank.  :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1957 on: July 03, 2018, 02:54:18 AM »
I still remember Brolin and Kenneth Anderson.

And well, I guess from Italy's victories in 1934 and 1938 there are houseould names like Piola and Meazza, but we actually won those Cups, so that's easier to remember  ;D

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #1958 on: July 03, 2018, 03:21:26 AM »
And then there's Henrik Larsson as well as Patrik Andersson and Martin Dahlin, who I know because they played for german clubs for a while.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1959 on: July 03, 2018, 09:55:55 AM »
Sweden wins 2 - 0 against Switzerland!

Congratulations to the scandivian vikings for being among the top 8 teams of the world, and for putting to good use the chance to be there gotten at the expense of Italy, you dirty f@[kers  :lol (nah, just kiddin', as I said I don't place blames that belong only to Italy at Sweden's feet).