Author Topic: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)  (Read 202413 times)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)
« Reply #1890 on: July 01, 2018, 09:58:33 AM »
I kind of want to see the penalty shootout too.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1891 on: July 01, 2018, 10:09:16 AM »
As much as I like watching the World Cup, deciding matches with penalty kicks is still the stupidest thing in just about any sport. 

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1892 on: July 01, 2018, 10:22:46 AM »
Yea I also don't like penalty kicks.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1893 on: July 01, 2018, 10:34:19 AM »
I endorse one of the suggestions put forward, you can read about it in the Wiki article about penalties: having them before the extra time, and have them be a deciding factor only if the match is still a draw.

That way you encourage the losing team to score at all costs, with the guys that missed the penalties having a chance to redeem themselves. Of course the ones who won the penalties could "park the bus" but hey, they won the penalties, they should have that advantage.

And now I hope the rain will be in Russia's favor, people playing in the snow will be better suited to kick penalties than those sunny spaniards, mh?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1894 on: July 01, 2018, 10:35:22 AM »
For fuck’s sake

Well, here we go then

Based on this match, Spain is not going to win the world cup, and neither is Russia.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1895 on: July 01, 2018, 10:41:48 AM »
I was just telling my mum Spain would lose.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1896 on: July 01, 2018, 10:42:48 AM »
Congrats Russia!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online faizoff

« Reply #1897 on: July 01, 2018, 10:43:05 AM »
Wow. Congrats to Russia. Great saves by the Russian keeper.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1898 on: July 01, 2018, 10:43:19 AM »
I'm happy for Russia. They weren't necessarily great, but Spain's sideways passing is something I just can't stand.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1899 on: July 01, 2018, 10:44:14 AM »
This show that by standing on your own half for 120 minutes and blocking every shot with three people can win you a match. What a lot of bullshit; they’re out whoever they face next.
Squ

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1900 on: July 01, 2018, 10:44:34 AM »
Good to see Spain and their boring ass stye gone.  That's what you get for playing for PK's.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1901 on: July 01, 2018, 10:45:53 AM »
THE LULZ IS STRONG WITH THIS WORLD CUP!!!  :metal

Now, seriously, never say never (which is the motto of basically every match so far), but is Croatia headed for the semi finals? will they reach a final for the first time ever, or will England reach the second final (if I'm not mistaken) in their entire history?

While France and Brazil and Belgium will slaughter each other....
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1902 on: July 01, 2018, 10:46:38 AM »
It's always great for the tournament when the host nation does well. Congratulations Russia for knocking out the only "big" team in the bottom half of the draw.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1903 on: July 01, 2018, 10:48:54 AM »
Oh boy yes. I'm not saying Russia played a great game, I'm sure they'll be out next round, but you know what, Spain didn't do any better. I'm glad for the team to advance.

Akinfeev (Russian goalkeeper) did a fantastic job today.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1904 on: July 01, 2018, 10:49:34 AM »
I didn't expect them to come further than quarter finals but this is pretty embarassing :lol

Regardless, I love hosts doing well as well and am looking forward to seeing this 'weak' bracket pan out.

Good to see Spain and their boring ass stye gone.  That's what you get for playing for PK's.

You may not have watched the game, but it was Russia who played for penalties, not Spain :lol even by simply looking at the stats you would see that.

Also I don't think Akinfeev's brilliant last PK save should go unnoticed, amazing!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1905 on: July 01, 2018, 10:50:23 AM »
The urgency with which Spain played during extra time is how they should've played during the regular halves. That constant passing from right to left ending with losing possession was a chore to watch and didn't deter Russia at all. Not sure what the end game was with that but whatever, it didn't pay off and now they're out.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1906 on: July 01, 2018, 10:52:16 AM »

You may not have watched the game, but it was Russia who played for penalties, not Spain :lol even by simply looking at the stats you would see that.

Spain had the ball for like 80% of the match, yet played like they didn't care if they scored.  That is what I call playing for PK's.  Russia was overmatched and their only chance was PK's.  Spain could have won it with an actual goal had they tried to score.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1907 on: July 01, 2018, 10:58:55 AM »
The urgency with which Spain played during extra time is how they should've played during the regular halves. That constant passing from right to left ending with losing possession was a chore to watch and didn't deter Russia at all.
I agree with this. The analysts showed (more than) a couple instances where Pique could have played the ball to Iniesta and attack through the center, but instead plays the wings to take it slow. That style has never entertained me and I doubt it does anyone else. It shocks me because Pique and Iniesta don't play like that at all in Barcelona, maybe they don't feel comfortable with this new - less Barcelona oriented - line-up?

Spain had the ball for like 80% of the match, yet played like they didn't care if they scored.  That is what I call playing for PK's.  Russia was overmatched and their only chance was PK's.  Spain could have won it with an actual goal had they tried to score.
I guess that's fair, Russia's response to Spain's way of playing made it seem more like Russia was stalling than Spain, but I can see your interpretation.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1908 on: July 01, 2018, 11:01:23 AM »
That is Spain's "tikitaka" game. Endless passages between one another, and then Xavi and Iniesta finding a way for the strikers to go through. Xavi is no longer there and Iniesta is at the end of his carrer, so that tikitaka becomes utterly pointless and a careful enough team reaches the penalty kicks and wins. Way to go Russia, and congratulations to Spain for having completely squandered the opportunity to have a basically unchallenged road to the final.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1909 on: July 01, 2018, 11:03:42 AM »
Spain definitely tiki taka'd themselves to the airport.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1910 on: July 01, 2018, 02:32:47 PM »
Ouch that could have been the ticket home for Denmark. Saved by a bad penalty kick. Seems like it's ending with penalty kicks anyway though....again.....  :-\

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1911 on: July 01, 2018, 02:33:56 PM »
Denmark has the obvious psychological advantage now. Let’s see what happens here. I would not be surprised if it ends here for Croatia, but it can go either way.
Squ

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1912 on: July 01, 2018, 02:44:55 PM »
Damn this is tough to watch!!  :omg:

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1913 on: July 01, 2018, 02:45:16 PM »
THIS SHOOTOUT IS INSANE
Squ

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1914 on: July 01, 2018, 02:47:29 PM »
Damn! I'm left without teams to root for  :'(

Bjorn Ironside couldn't bring Denmark to the next round with his saves.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1915 on: July 01, 2018, 02:48:19 PM »
Shame :(
Squ

Online faizoff

« Reply #1916 on: July 01, 2018, 02:48:43 PM »
Tense penalties! Crazy number of saves!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1917 on: July 01, 2018, 02:48:56 PM »
Aaaand it's over!  :-\ Feel bad for the danish goalie, he did some great saves unfortunately for nothing.

Congrats Croatia!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1918 on: July 01, 2018, 02:54:04 PM »
Feel bad for the danish goalie, he did some great saves unfortunately for nothing.

True, although I did chuckle at him complaining about the stutter on the one Croatia PK, considering he left his line way early on the pivotal PK stop near the end of overtime.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1919 on: July 01, 2018, 03:01:13 PM »
Jesus I almost died :| Second half was a chore to get through tbh but I think Croatia deserved it in the end. I hope they'll play better against Russia.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1920 on: July 01, 2018, 03:04:59 PM »
Anyway, one thing I don't really get about penalties and the "duel with the goalkeeper" thing.

Look at these two crucial penalties:

Italy vs Australia 2006, last minute of the second half, penalty for Italy, if they score, no need for extra time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guKoyzQH0wY

Real Madrid vs Juventus 2018, last minute of the second half, if Ronaldo scores, they go through to the next round:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLwpLGoAkew

Notice anything in those two important, vital, not-to-be-missed penalties?

yeah.

They both shot very powerfully and aiming high, near the upper angle of the net. Why basically NOBODY EVER SHOOTS IMPORTANT PENALTIES LIKE THAT? seriously, is that hard to get that if you aim that corner in the upper part of the net, you can actually tell the goalkeeper you're going to shoot there, and he won't get it anway??? everyone's watching the goalkeeper or even worse not even watching what he does, and you have crappy penalties like the last danish one, who shot in the damn center and on the ground. Is it such a hard secret to crack that important penalties should be shot powerful and high? screw the "duel with the goalkeeper" thing, that's for western movies. I understand the pressure, the emotion and all, but can't half of a team of players train to aim powerfully at a precise point of a net?

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1921 on: July 01, 2018, 03:28:39 PM »
A lot of the penalties in the shootout were, frankly, very bad indeed, including the both by Modric. In fact, the only good one (by your standards) was the one Skaer did, shooting it firmly in the upper right corner.
Squ

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1922 on: July 01, 2018, 08:03:52 PM »
They both shot very powerfully and aiming high, near the upper angle of the net. Why basically NOBODY EVER SHOOTS IMPORTANT PENALTIES LIKE THAT? seriously, is that hard to get that if you aim that corner in the upper part of the net, you can actually tell the goalkeeper you're going to shoot there, and he won't get it anway???
It's not that easy. You have to hit the ball in the lower part, but in the right spot. If you kick the ball even lower, the ball can go way too high and it ends up in the crossbar or going wide.
Here are some examples of this.
It's 120' minutes in and there's a Penalty for Ghana. If Gyan scores, they go to the semifinals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQGBin2TBgQ
And there's of course the infamous Baggio Penalty in the Penalty Shootout of the 1994 World Cup final. I hate to share it because it perpetrates Baggio's mistake over his amazing prowess as a player, but it's still an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpbkRApq9qY

In both cases they tried to kick the ball into the posterior upper angle of the goal but they kicked a lower part of the ball. Again... This takes some skill, too.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1923 on: July 02, 2018, 01:08:31 AM »
As I said, I understand the pressure and the emotion, but in a team of trained, professional players, out of 10 people (excluding the goalkeeper) it shouldn't be that terribly hard to find only half of them able to aim at that point.

But then again if Baggio can make a mistake, everyone can, of course.

Anyway, I loved how Schmeichel before the penalties was all smiling and relaxed, like "yeah, whatever, I saved a penalty, I will save some more". After all when there's a penalty shoothout the goalkeeper has nothing to lose: if he gets the goal, nobody blames them, if they save it, they're heroes. It's the ones kicking the penalty that feel all the pressure.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1924 on: July 02, 2018, 01:30:30 AM »
The more you try to shoot the ball where the goalie has trouble reaching it, the more you risk that the ball goes wide, it's as easy as that. Some take that risk, others do not.

You can train that all you want, but mistakes happen and the more strain the player feels, the more mistakes he will make. How often have you seen seasoned players, that can normally hit anything miss the easiest shots?
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D