Author Topic: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)  (Read 203341 times)

Offline senecadawg2

Re: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)
« Reply #1365 on: July 01, 2016, 02:56:07 PM »
God save the Welsh
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1366 on: July 01, 2016, 02:57:45 PM »
Now I want a Wales - Iceland in the final, I would give up on the dream of Italy winning for that  :metal
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 03:09:34 PM by MirrorMask »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1367 on: July 01, 2016, 03:07:49 PM »
What the fuck?

Don't know what to be more hyped about, Wales going through or Belgium being eliminated.

So I missed this game, how did both teams perform?
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1368 on: July 02, 2016, 04:48:19 AM »
Belgium started strong but slacked off when they got 0-1 ahead. This allowed Wales to start playing and get into the game.
Once they had the upper hand and their defence settled, the Welsh just grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and never let go.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1369 on: July 02, 2016, 12:37:51 PM »
So, it's Italy vs Germany again, a most memorable match for any italian!

I grew up learning about these historical matches: World Cup 1970, the "match of the century", Italy defeating Germany 4-3 in overtime... and in 1982 Italy winning again in the final, becoming world champions. And I witnessed myself two other glorious nights, the World Cup 2006 seminifinals where Italy scored 2 goals at the last minutes of overtime, and last Euro Cup when they defeated again Germany in a semifinal. Each time it's like "We can't always be lucky" and each time, Italy defeats Germany!  :metal

Furthermore for me it's almost a derby... as I said before in the thread, I love Germany. Like, REALLY love Germany, their landscapes, their cities, a lot of bands, their architecture, I have friends there and I've been there several times etc... I'm just in love with that nation, I would love to live there. I even have a medium sized Germany flag, I don't have an italian one that big. But still, it's not that I'm torn over which team to root for... on the contrary, in this occasion I'm 100% behind Italy and against Germany! You know when your older brother defends you from other dudes, and yet picks on you because he's your big brother and since he loves you and he's family he feels like he "deserves" to have fun with you? same messy logic for me when it comes to football, I love Germany so much that in this one occasion I feel entitled to "hate" them and to gladly bathe in their sorrow and drink their tears in case of their defeat  :metal and then for the next match I'll just come back to support them  :biggrin:

Of course I wish that this is gonna be Germany's last match in this Euro Cup, and if that won't be the case, I will seriously start rooting for a Wales vs Iceland final. Wales actually may get there, Portugal is in the semifinals basically having always equalized ffs!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1370 on: July 02, 2016, 12:39:37 PM »
I'm so. Fucking. Ready. For this.

Sorry MM, I'm all for Germany in this game.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1371 on: July 02, 2016, 02:39:24 PM »
That handsball must be one of the - no - the most stupid mistake of the entire tournament, glad Italy are back in the game but goddamn Boateng what the hell was he thinking?
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1372 on: July 02, 2016, 02:50:49 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's not allowed to stop while taking a PK as Bonucci did :-\
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1373 on: July 02, 2016, 03:34:40 PM »
Eh... I really hoped it won't come down to this. Now it's the lottery again.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1374 on: July 02, 2016, 03:51:58 PM »
Damn, that Schweinsteiger penalty kick was pathetic. :facepalm:

Glad that Germany won, but I wasn't too impressed with the team.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1375 on: July 02, 2016, 03:52:34 PM »
GODDAMN HOW I HATE PENALTIES.

It's a wonder we even won a World Cup this way.

Uh well, Italy had Spain, Germany and France on their path and out of the three, if defeats has to be, it's far better than to lose once again to Spain or to our neighbours France.... and statistically speaking, the match will be registered as a draw so *technically* Germany still never defeated us in official matches, but FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU  >:( :censored

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1376 on: July 02, 2016, 04:01:02 PM »
And like.. 5 others? I laughed fucking hard at that Zaza dude's PK, he got subbed in like the 120th minute just so he could try his luck with a penalty. Then he continues to do the most idiotic little run before shooting wide. :lol I believe that's also his only appearance apart from the Ireland game.

Buffon somehow managed to guess the right direction on every single penalty IIRC, that's pretty impressive, too bad the ball slipped right underneath on the last one but it was a pretty tense penalty shootout (mostly because both teams fucked up hard).

Not terribly excited about Germany but they were fun to watch at times.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1377 on: July 03, 2016, 01:02:53 AM »
And like.. 5 others? I laughed fucking hard at that Zaza dude's PK, he got subbed in like the 120th minute just so he could try his luck with a penalty. Then he continues to do the most idiotic little run before shooting wide. :lol I believe that's also his only appearance apart from the Ireland game.

Hahaha, yeah. :lol I singled out Schweinsteiger because his kick could've been the deciding one, but yes, plenty of failure in this shootout.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1378 on: July 03, 2016, 03:04:04 AM »
It was a competition about who was sucking more, embarassing really  :lol

Now I seriously hope there will be a Wales vs Iceland final. But if France goes through, I'll still root for Germany. And in case of Germany vs Wales in the final well, anything goes really, I won't hold a grudge against the germans for this defeat but a debutant winning the Euro Cup in face of the world champions would be glorious.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1379 on: July 03, 2016, 03:16:35 AM »
I just rewatched Zaza penalty kick and :lolpalm: .

Yeah, I'd take either Wales - Iceland or Wales - Germany. Seriously hope Portugal won't make it. Also seriously hope Iceland will win today, I don't think it'll happen but I can hope.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1380 on: July 03, 2016, 04:17:35 AM »
I think too that realistically Iceland's run has come to an end, but remember Greece in 2004? Each match everyone would assume "Ok, this is it", and yet they won. I agree, one can hope!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1381 on: July 03, 2016, 06:42:12 AM »
Holy shit that was nerve-wrecking. Some really shitty PK's from either side - Zaza, Müller, Pellé and Schweinsteiger come to mind - but some great saves by Neuer too.

But honestly, without Boateng doing the most stupid that he's done this tournament, the whole thing would have been unnecessary, because Italy were never really a danger in front of the German goal. And Bonucci's PK was pretty damn close to the line of what I would consider acceptable with regards to run-ups under the new rules.

Anyway, glad that Germany went through even though both teams were pretty evenly matched. Still rooting for Iceland today.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1382 on: July 03, 2016, 06:45:09 AM »
I'm really not sure what was more hilarious, Zaza's PK with his "most idiotic little run before shooting wide" or Pellé with his cocky hand-gestures to Neuer before missing badly. We should have a poll. :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1383 on: July 03, 2016, 07:08:25 AM »
I hate doing this because I love Iceland but I'm actually starting to root for France to go to finals now since I'm going to France for a weekend and it just so happens to be the weekend of the finals. How awesome would it be to be in the home country the night that they win the euro's? Not going to happen anyway but one can dream.. :corn

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1384 on: July 03, 2016, 07:46:18 AM »
I think I aged at least ten years watching last night's game. Not a great game but very exciting because of the suspense. I think Germany deserved the win and overall they were the better team, but then again I'm biased.

And dear Boateng, what were you thinking?

And wtf was up with the first penalties of each team? Three out of the first five missed on both teams?

But I'm glad that Hector made the decisive goal. He's the only national player that came out of Cologne for a long time, my hometown and favorite football team.

And now I think Germany comes out of this match stronger than before, I don't see anyone defeating them in this tournament, although a Wales vs. Iceland final would also be cool.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1385 on: July 03, 2016, 10:50:12 AM »
What a ridiculous run-up from Zaza last night! Guy comes on as a sub specifically to take a penalty in the shootout, and his ends up being the worst miss of all. Goalkeeper probably could have gone for a quick pint in the time it took Zaza to run up to the ball!

And as one of the few Welshmen round here (if there even are any others)...GO WALES!!! Friday night was absolutely EPIC! Three magnificent goals to knock out the No. 2 ranked side in the world.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1386 on: July 03, 2016, 11:07:27 AM »
How awesome would it be to be in the home country the night that they win the euro's? Not going to happen anyway but one can dream.. :corn
I actually was in France 1998 when they won the world cup. I remember it so vividly because I was in Riom-ès-Montagnes and the town just exploded 2 mins after the game. Pretty epic experience.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1387 on: July 03, 2016, 01:22:09 PM »
What I found most ridiculous yesterday was the way that all the strikers/midfielders basically missed and all the defenders actually made their PK's. Like... what's up with that?

And France is up two goals! Still hoping that Iceland bounces back, but I think this is the end of the road for them. :\
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1388 on: July 03, 2016, 01:30:58 PM »
To me the most ridiculous thing was all the stupid run-ups, it was not just Zaza, but literally like half the time you could tell from the run-up that it would be a bad kick, and I think only one of those bad PK's made it into the goal.

How awesome would it be to be in the home country the night that they win the euro's? Not going to happen anyway but one can dream.. :corn
I actually was in France 1998 when they won the world cup. I remember it so vividly because I was in Riom-ès-Montagnes and the town just exploded 2 mins after the game. Pretty epic experience.
That's awesome dude. One of my friends was in Germany for the weekend, 2 years ago, with the sole reason of being amongst German people during the world cup final and it was supposedly very awesome.

Looks like the chances of a Wales - France final are increasing! Germany will be a bitch to beat though and I might still prefer their team over the French even though I want France in the final. I'm glad my Icelandic friend is currently.. well, in Iceland, because he's a bit of a sore loser and a bitch to be around after this kind of thing. :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1389 on: July 03, 2016, 01:49:02 PM »
France leading 4-0 overtime? well, that escalated quickly.

Screw the fact that they kicked Italy out, I'll still be rooting for Germany next match, Iceland doesn't deserve to be humiliated!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1390 on: July 03, 2016, 01:49:23 PM »
Yeah, well, I think Iceland is done.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1391 on: July 03, 2016, 02:10:07 PM »
The only comfort we can get from this is that France won't get past Germany anyways

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1392 on: July 03, 2016, 02:45:34 PM »
Damn, but I love how Iceland is playing. Got nothing to lose and just keeps trying to score, and it works.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 03:45:02 AM by Evermind »

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #1393 on: July 03, 2016, 06:25:39 PM »

And as one of the few Welshmen round here (if there even are any others)...GO WALES!!! Friday night was absolutely EPIC! Three magnificent goals to knock out the No. 2 ranked side in the world.

I'm Welsh but living in Canada. The Wales victory over Belgium was an absolute thrill. Have to take the day off work on Wednesday to watch the semi-final. I can't wait!

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #1394 on: July 03, 2016, 11:59:54 PM »
Ah this sucks. I knew Iceland's streak had to end sometime and that they probably wouldn't make it to the finals, but to go down with five goals is hard. Still props to them for coming this far  :tup

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1395 on: July 06, 2016, 07:13:42 AM »
Ready for Portugal - Wales today! Rooting for Wales, obviously. Luckily I'm on vacation so I don't have to worry about staying late and getting up early.

Will you guys be watching?

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1396 on: July 06, 2016, 07:32:31 AM »
Nah I'll just st in my room, turn off the lights and listen to some doom metal

'f course I'll be watching :metal I'm kinda neutral on this one, I like the portuguese lineup but theyve just been so boring this whole tournament, and I'll always have a softspot for underdogs like Wales but at the same time I want France's potential enemies to be the weakest possible one and it seems like that team is Portugal right now.

And if it's going to be Germany in the finals (most likely) I'm definitely hoping for Wales to win the whole tournament.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #1397 on: July 06, 2016, 07:35:59 AM »
I hope I find the time. I'm not really interested in both teams but it's the semi-final, so hopefully it will be fun. Rooting for Wales because Ronaldo sucks   :biggrin:

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1398 on: July 06, 2016, 07:56:07 AM »
Iceland will be forever the fairytale of this tournament, but let's see if Wales becomes an actual reality!

Rooting for Wales because they're underdogs and because Portugal equalized 4 matches out of 5, at this point I want Wales to win, also in England's face.

I would be still rooting for Germany, but they kicked Italy out so I won't cry over their eventual defeat in the final, which I still hope they'll reach 'cause France can't just win every time they host a tournament  :biggrin:

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1399 on: July 06, 2016, 01:47:18 PM »
Really boring game so far to be honest.