Author Topic: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)  (Read 202545 times)

Offline senecadawg2

Re: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)
« Reply #1295 on: June 25, 2016, 05:02:05 PM »
Croatia - Portugal goes into history as the most abonimable game of football ever to be played at a major tournament. Jesus Christ, what a fucking drag that was.

And I have this complete detest for the Portuguese football team as well, which makes it even worse.

Completely agree, I was really hoping they would lose. Pepe and Ronaldo are two of the biggest cunts in the game, and I've got no love for anyone else on that team either.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1296 on: June 25, 2016, 05:05:43 PM »
While I normally agree, I have to say in their defence that Ronaldo definitely managed to make his ego take a step back behind the interests of his team; I believe he only had one shot on goal and spent a lot of time defending as well. Granted, the interests of his team were apparently to suck the fun out of the game at any cost, but still.

Still wish that Croatia had gone through though.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1297 on: June 25, 2016, 05:24:26 PM »
I agree with that, but my critique is less about Ronaldo as a player (especially today) and more about his general whininess and egotism off the field  :P

Tomorrow I'll be cheering for all the underdogs (sorry Tommy boy). That is, unless Dembele has recovered from his ankle injury and starts, in which case I'll grudgingly support Belgium.

Online Tomislav95

« Reply #1298 on: June 25, 2016, 05:44:12 PM »
Am I Tommy boy? :lol
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1299 on: June 25, 2016, 05:58:45 PM »
No but you can be  :lol

Online Tomislav95

« Reply #1300 on: June 25, 2016, 06:03:43 PM »
But who's Tommy?
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1301 on: June 25, 2016, 07:22:50 PM »
I have all the respect in the world for Ronaldo, he's probably my favorite player in the world even though I'm an Atletico Madrid fanatic, but that really was the most boring game in the tournament so far. I believe he was called Vadi (the CB of Croatia), that literally stretched out every buildup phase of every single attack in the game and the same goes for Portugal. Ronaldo was as exciting as a sack of potatoes but I hope he can step up in quarters.

I literally left the house to go do something else and missed the only goal of the game because I just couldn't care less. I really wanted to see Croatia go through but at this point I simply didn't care for either team anymore. It was such a passive game.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1302 on: June 26, 2016, 04:01:52 AM »
Thee matches today!

France vs Ireland... I root for Ireland. France and Italy are neighbours so there's always been a strong rivality, furthermore the irish are fun people who enjoy beer and discussions with leprechaun while singing along to countless memorable irish folk songs, why anyone who isn't directly involved should root against them?  :D

Germany vs Slovakia... I root for Germany, if Italy ever gets out of the round of 16 alive, they can always count on being able to always defeat the germans  :biggrin:

And I'm really neutral about Belgium vs Hungary, without Croatia I think that now Belgium along Portugal itself and Wales is the biggest candidate to reach the final in the "We never ever won a single tournament all paired up together the 8 of us" part of the panel.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1303 on: June 26, 2016, 07:57:35 AM »
Thee matches today!

France vs Ireland... I root for Ireland. France and Italy are neighbours so there's always been a strong rivality, furthermore the irish are fun people who enjoy beer and discussions with leprechaun while singing along to countless memorable irish folk songs, why anyone who isn't directly involved should root against them?  :D

Germany vs Slovakia... I root for Germany, if Italy ever gets out of the round of 16 alive, they can always count on being able to always defeat the germans  :biggrin:

And I'm really neutral about Belgium vs Hungary, without Croatia I think that now Belgium along Portugal itself and Wales is the biggest candidate to reach the final in the "We never ever won a single tournament all paired up together the 8 of us" part of the panel.

Worked my ass off today (working on Sunday sucks) and missed the first half of France - Ireland. But I root for Ireland too and it seems they're in the lead so I'm hopeful they can pull it off.

Obviously rooting for Germany in the second game... they're my favourite "big" team besides England, so obviously they have to win.

Belgium against Hungary, I'm rooting for Belgium because I've got four of their players in my Fantasy League team. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1304 on: June 26, 2016, 08:26:37 AM »
This is just sad to watch  :rollin
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1305 on: June 26, 2016, 08:28:46 AM »
I'm not watching, actually. Any short description on what the hell is happening?

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1306 on: June 26, 2016, 08:34:26 AM »
Just 2 easy goals from Griezman, they were set up pretty well but the RoI defence is completely falling apart. Also at an attempt of making it a hattrick Griezman got tackled from behind with no intentions to hit the ball at all and now Ireland's playing with 10 guys :lol

Also it's good to note that even though France will likely go on to quarters they are missing Kante and Rami due to second yellow cards and as far as I know they dont have very good replacements for those positions (CB and CDM)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1307 on: June 26, 2016, 08:40:01 AM »
Thank you man, yeah, that sounds sad for Ireland indeed.

Gonna be watching Germany vs Slovakia, hopefully it'll be good.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1308 on: June 26, 2016, 08:46:39 AM »
I really wanted Ireland to win this one, but yeah, the defense on both Griezmann's goals was terrible. That red card foul was ridiculously funny though.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1309 on: June 26, 2016, 10:44:27 AM »
I don't want to jinx it, but so far it looks like Neuer will have another match without a single goal conceded. This guy is a beast.

Oh, and Slovakia is doomed.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1310 on: June 26, 2016, 10:50:11 AM »
Yeah, Germany's set out to completely destroy whatever opponent they're up against. Impressive playing so far.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1311 on: June 26, 2016, 11:56:25 AM »
Yeah, Germany's set out to completely destroy whatever opponent they're up against. Impressive playing so far.

Well, never say never, statistics are meant to be overruled, players in the team change etc, but Germany will face whoever wins between Italy and Spain, AKA "the only two teams that were able to defeat Germany in major tournaments in the last ten years"
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1312 on: June 26, 2016, 12:00:10 PM »
I believe that whatever team coming out of the Germany/Italy/Spain trio will have all the confidence in the world and breeze through the rest of the matches, momentum is the name of the game.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1313 on: June 26, 2016, 12:11:45 PM »
Well, for sure if Italy gets rid of Spain, to whom they always lost recently, surely they will be pumped in facing Germany, against whom they always won, and I literally mean "always" at least in recorded history  :biggrin:

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1314 on: June 26, 2016, 02:36:19 PM »
Oh my god Belgium stop it :lol
Squ

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1315 on: June 26, 2016, 02:39:45 PM »
Whether it's poor chemistry or what, I'm not sure, but I think this Belgian team is way overrated. I know they have a lot of individual talent, but I'm tired of hearing about the "golden generation" which hasn't, in reality, won anything of note. It smacks of arrogance and is exemplified no better than by Hazard, who whined and sulked his way through this past club season.

The contrast between them and Italy in that first game was the most telling, I thought. Completely outworked and clearly less disciplined than a much more humble team of Italian (mostly) fogies, with far less individual talent.

Sure, when they're clicking they look impressive enough, but they piss me off all the same.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1316 on: June 26, 2016, 02:42:03 PM »
I don't follow the Premier League, so I can't comment on Hazard's past season, but he was brilliant in this match.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1317 on: June 26, 2016, 02:42:19 PM »
However you put it, two goals within a single minute is impressive though.

I also don't really know enough about football to comment on this sort of stuff, though I just enjoy watching the Euros. Belgium doing pretty well so far is just a nice band-aid for the fact that The Netherlands aren't playing.
Squ

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1318 on: June 26, 2016, 02:49:21 PM »
Y'all are both right--they've looked really good today.

I just hate them, maybe irrationally, and hope that Wales curb stomps them  :D

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1319 on: June 26, 2016, 02:50:47 PM »
Hungary didn't deserve to suffer the worst defeat of the tournament imo, I really liked them during the tournament. :\ However, they were clearly outclassed against a Belgian team that showed for the first time today why they are held in such high esteem.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1320 on: June 26, 2016, 02:51:36 PM »
I want Portugal to suffer an even worse defeat.
Squ

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1321 on: June 26, 2016, 02:52:40 PM »
I'll be cheering for Belgium
Lost hope, seneca?  :laugh:

From the 'easy' side of the bracket my favorites are Portugal and Poland. Dunno, I have an unexplanatory vendetta against Belgium and Wales or something.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1322 on: June 26, 2016, 03:00:20 PM »
Hungary didn't deserve to suffer the worst defeat of the tournament imo, I really liked them during the tournament. :\ However, they were clearly outclassed against a Belgian team that showed for the first time today why they are held in such high esteem.

I liked Hungary because at least they went for the win, rather than parking the bus and maybe only losing by a goal or two. Though it probably wasn't the smartest tactical decision, playing against arguably the best counter attacking team in the world  :lol

I'll be cheering for Belgium
Lost hope, seneca?  :laugh:

No, haha. There are a couple Belgian players that I like a lot: Alderweireld, Vertonghen, and Dembele.  Dembele most of all. Unfortunately he's only played about one half this whole tournament.

And on the other side of things, I despise Hazard, Courtois, Fellani, Origi, and Nainggolan.

So despite liking a couple defenders, I hope the selfish bastards sink.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1323 on: June 26, 2016, 03:08:59 PM »
Yeah I'm with you there. It's very easy to feel that way about Belgium because they're literally just some talented individuals so there's going to be that feeling of liking some players but not really rooting for them as a team. With their substitutions it's never really a tactical decision either, it's just "let's see if this guy can pull off something great and if he doesn't I'll just bench him again".

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1324 on: June 26, 2016, 03:53:48 PM »
Other than USA, Belgium is my favorite international team. I happen to be a big fan of De Bruyne, Alderweireld, Kompany, Mertens, Lukaku, Benteke, Etc.

I can agree though Nelson, regarding the individual talent. Sometimes they look like a group of really good individuals, rather than a really good team. However today, they looked quite great. Granted, Hungary isn't the toughest of opponents.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1325 on: June 26, 2016, 07:03:15 PM »
This Copa America final has been wild so far. Terrible ref, great drama.

Go Argentina!

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1326 on: June 26, 2016, 09:05:36 PM »
Messi missed a PK, wow.

Offline don_waka

« Reply #1327 on: June 26, 2016, 09:55:37 PM »
What a great team, Chile  :omg:

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1328 on: June 27, 2016, 12:35:44 AM »
Well deserved win yesterday for Germany and finally they're not only creating scoring chances, they are beginning to use them. OK, with the exception of Özil's weak penalty shot. But I didn't think it was a clear penalty so it doesn't really matter.

When Germany is keeping up their game they can beat anyone. But playing against Spain or Italy will still be extremely hard and the german team not only has to play their best, I think even more important is, that they don't think about the past matches against both and thus getting the psychological disadvantage.

I have only seen some scenes from Belgium vs. Hungary and the score is surely impressive, but I'm still not convinced that Belgium is as good as some claim them to be. We'll see.

And today England will follow the vote and make their brexit from this tourney against Iceland.  ;)
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1329 on: June 27, 2016, 01:50:46 AM »
And today England will follow the vote and make their brexit from this tourney against Iceland.  ;)

Haha, I wish! nothing against England, it's just that Iceland is the perfect underdog to root for.

Today there's also Italy vs Spain, and sorry to any spanish supporters here, but I have a bone to pick with them. Last Euro Cup Spain won 4-0 the final, but it's not the result that bothers me, but the way it was achieved. Italy was already losing 2-0, they already had the three changes and they were one man down for injury, and what Spain did? scored again. Not once, but twice, in a final already won.

If it's 11 vs 11 I have no problem with huge defeats (I don't really get the talks "they should have stopped, it's humiliating", well, it's also humiliating that a team decides 'Hey you guys suck so much, we'll just pass the ball around each other for the last 30 minutes'), but when bad luck puts another team one man down, to kick an already defeated enemy while they're down it's just mean to me.

So of course I hope that Italy wins... but also I hope that Spain loses bad, in a karmic way that leaves them only rage and regret, be it for a referee mistake or dumb luck with an impossible kick that finds its way to the net somehow.

If Italy wins by being the overall best team, good. If Italy wins after Spain dominated the match and at the last minute on an easy kick their goalkeeper stumbles on the laces of his own shoes, even better.