Author Topic: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)  (Read 202429 times)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)
« Reply #1225 on: June 17, 2016, 02:15:15 AM »
Sweden vs Italy today. I'm at work so I'll have to follow it on the web.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1226 on: June 17, 2016, 03:31:17 AM »
Spain vs. Turkey today :laugh: I hope I won't miss anything but I'll probably be at work until 9 PM and have to make my way home afterwards still, so I will very likely miss the first half hour. By the looks of it so far in this tournament though, there won't be any goals by then anyways :lol
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1227 on: June 17, 2016, 04:02:35 AM »
Can't make it for Sweden - Italy but I'll probably catch the other two.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1228 on: June 17, 2016, 05:29:17 AM »
Italy looked the most solid of all the teams I saw play in the first round of games (though I missed Germany). I'm looking forward to seeing if they can keep that up.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1229 on: June 17, 2016, 12:07:27 PM »
Wow, that ended awfully. Let me give you some "inside info", here's the thing with flares: there is group of "supporters" (hooligans) who hate federation of Croatian football, chairman, politics inside it etc. And they literally want Croatia to be kicked out and whole administration to resign or whatever. I'm pretty sure that was planned. Awful day for our team, country and football.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1230 on: June 17, 2016, 12:32:45 PM »
Wow, that ended awfully. Let me give you some "inside info", here's the thing with flares: there is group of "supporters" (hooligans) who hate federation of Croatian football, chairman, politics inside it etc. And they literally want Croatia to be kicked out and whole administration to resign or whatever. I'm pretty sure that was planned. Awful day for our team, country and football.

Didn't get home in time to watch the game. Can you elaborate a bit if it's not too much? Some "fans" lit up the flares in the end?

Also, for all the results I've got wrong it's damn nice to finally get something right. :lol

Offline Bruinsfan25

« Reply #1231 on: June 17, 2016, 12:36:29 PM »
My question is how did they even get flares into the stadium? That seems like a security issue. I have family traveling to France for the Portugal game next week and I was pretty confident that it would be safe there but after today I can't help but wonder.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1232 on: June 17, 2016, 12:47:24 PM »
They started throwing flares (commentators counted 12, I think) and crackers or something very explosive, almost injured fireman. Referee had to stop the game for 10 minutes or so. It was at the time Croatia had 2:1, after that they couldn't play anymore, started to defend and it's good they haven't conceded more than 2 goals. Also, Luka Modrić picked an injury before that incident. Doctor said he probably won't play against Spain :(
Really, really sad, this ruined my day, and week. We won't forget this soon. I bet if this never happened Croatia would have 6 points already.
My question is how did they even get flares into the stadium? That seems like a security issue. I have family traveling to France for the Portugal game next week and I was pretty confident that it would be safe there but after today I can't help but wonder.
My question exactly. And in interview after the match one player said police couldn't go up and arrest hooligans because they didn't have authority on stadium. WTF?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1233 on: June 17, 2016, 01:24:19 PM »
They started throwing flares (commentators counted 12, I think) and crackers or something very explosive, almost injured fireman. Referee had to stop the game for 10 minutes or so. It was at the time Croatia had 2:1, after that they couldn't play anymore, started to defend and it's good they haven't conceded more than 2 goals. Also, Luka Modrić picked an injury before that incident. Doctor said he probably won't play against Spain :(
Really, really sad, this ruined my day, and week. We won't forget this soon. I bet if this never happened Croatia would have 6 points already.
My question exactly. And in interview after the match one player said police couldn't go up and arrest hooligans because they didn't have authority on stadium. WTF?

Sounds awful indeed. I hate when that happens. Why would anyone actually do that? Just watch the damn game and enjoy it.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1234 on: June 17, 2016, 01:43:37 PM »
I loosely followed the Croatia game at work, saw the penalty but didnt hear about the flares until just now, thats really sad. I felt bad for the team too, from what ive seen that was an awful way to get tied in the last minute based on how they performed.

Meanwhile, can Spain get the 4-0 Ive been looking for? 2 goals within 3 minutes :lol
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1235 on: June 18, 2016, 08:19:55 AM »
Belgium is playing pretty good so far.

Edit: and I mean really good. I'm impressed.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 08:27:44 AM by Evermind »

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1236 on: June 18, 2016, 12:29:46 PM »
Absolutely gutted for Iceland. Own-goal equalizer for Hungary in the 88th minute, after Iceland led for a substantial chunk of the game.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1237 on: June 18, 2016, 12:32:01 PM »
Absolutely gutted for Iceland. Own-goal equalizer for Hungary in the 88th minute, after Iceland led for a substantial chunk of the game.

To be fair though, I thought Hungary was severely outplaying them in the second half. Well-deserved goal for Hungary IMO.

And the way Iceland botched the last free kick... :facepalm: I predicted 2-1 for Iceland in this game and I was really counting on them to get a goal from that free kick.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1238 on: June 18, 2016, 12:37:05 PM »
I really want Iceland to go big this tournament but the way both teams played today it goes to show you the quality drop going from 16 team tournaments to 24. This is honestly the first game where I saw major mistakes from both teams time after time, without much compensation at all. If in some dimension it would be possible to award both teams no points that would be my way to go. But I guess they'll face the facts once they get to the knock-out stage, unless of course they step up their game because both teams were quite good in the first round.

To be fair though, I thought Hungary was severely outplaying them in the second half. Well-deserved goal for Hungary IMO.

And the way Iceland botched the last free kick... :facepalm: I predicted 2-1 for Iceland in this game and I was really counting on them to get a goal from that free kick.
Yeah Hungary really did better overall though it was mostly due to Iceland's poor ball control, being behind 30 against 70% ball possession against a team like Hungary that doesn't even play that conservatively at all is oddly impressive.

Still, I like that everything is still kinda evened out in this group, so every team still has a chance to 'prove' themselves

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1239 on: June 18, 2016, 12:45:56 PM »
I was actually rooting for Iceland from the beginning of the tournament, don't know why, but I like them :P

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1240 on: June 18, 2016, 01:13:39 PM »
I was actually rooting for Iceland from the beginning of the tournament, don't know why, but I like them :P

I agree. I'm still rooting for Iceland, I like them for some reason.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1241 on: June 18, 2016, 01:28:21 PM »
Perhaps because they're the "little guy". The country only has a population of 300,000. Apparently (heard on commentary the other day) if you're a 20-40-year-old Icelandic man, you have a roughly one-in-2000 chance of being picked for the national squad.

Also, their fans' unison grunting has become my new favourite football chant.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1242 on: June 18, 2016, 01:34:53 PM »
And I like Iceland, beautiful country. I'd like to go there someday.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1243 on: June 18, 2016, 01:53:32 PM »
Pretty dull performance from Portugal so far, they need to up their game for the second half as far as I'm concerned. They had some moments, true, but I expected more from them.

Offline don_waka

« Reply #1244 on: June 19, 2016, 09:18:59 AM »
Last night Chile thrashed Mexico 7-0 at the Copa America :omg:

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1245 on: June 20, 2016, 05:37:25 AM »

I didn't watch the game but I was shocked with this result. Mexico had been playing an amazing tournament and I don't think anyone expected something like this. Tomorrow Argentina plays USA, I like our chances but I don't want to underestimate their potential.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1246 on: June 20, 2016, 12:49:00 PM »
Despite that today is Monday, I'm staying up late and watching both games at once. They're better be good.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1247 on: June 20, 2016, 12:59:29 PM »
Despite that today is Monday, I'm staying up late and watching both games at once. They're better be good.
Everything can happen in group B.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1248 on: June 20, 2016, 01:21:21 PM »
Sometimes it's frustrating to root for Russia.

That's why I was rooting for England and Wales on this Euro from Day 1. :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1249 on: June 20, 2016, 02:50:57 PM »
And so it ends for our national team, and well, that was a disaster to put it mildly. I didn't have a lot of hope in Russia but I thought with the new rules they could qualify from the third place, but yeah, they didn't manage to do even that.

I'm hoping that Wales will get as far as they can. Bale is a beast and Ramsey and Allen both were at the top of their game. It was a pure pleasure and joy to watch them in this game, whereas Russian team looked like they didn't even want to be there.

Offline don_waka

« Reply #1250 on: June 20, 2016, 05:00:08 PM »

I didn't watch the game but I was shocked with this result. Mexico had been playing an amazing tournament and I don't think anyone expected something like this. Tomorrow Argentina plays USA, I like our chances but I don't want to underestimate their potential.

No need to underestimate the US; they play a fine game but they're ages from the way Argentina plays.

Looks like there's going to be another Argentina - Chile blockbuster final  :tup

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1251 on: June 21, 2016, 04:32:06 AM »
Spectacular performance from Wales last night. Made better by the fact that England had a typically dismal night.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1252 on: June 21, 2016, 12:21:49 PM »
Croatia coach made 5 changes since last match. Modrić and Mandžukić are out due to injuries but there are 3 more changes. This could be interesting :corn

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1253 on: June 21, 2016, 02:51:48 PM »
Awesome game. Kinda hoped for the 1-1 but Croatia was clearly better in the second half. Neither team should've gotten a penalty so I'm actually glad Spain didnt score it, wouldve been unfair. No shame in losing to one of my favorite teams of the tournament to begin with :tup

I think this means Spain will play Wales in the round of 16? I can live with that, they havent impressed me much despite coming in #1 but Spain definitely need to improve if they want to have a shot at their third consecutive championship title.

EDIT: Apparently it's most likely to be Spain Italy, nice!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1254 on: June 21, 2016, 02:55:39 PM »
lolwrongthread

What a fantastic game! Croatia are my new favourite team to win Euro 2016. I actually thought that after the game against Czech Republic as well, but they lost their lead there. This was fantastic.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1255 on: June 21, 2016, 02:59:42 PM »
lolwrongthread

What a fantastic game! Croatia are my new favourite team to win Euro 2016. I actually thought that after the game against Czech Republic as well, but they lost their lead there. This was fantastic.
Yes, magnificent :hefdaddy and without Luka Modrić. We all hoped for Czech Republic to win so we can play against Wales in 1/8 finals. No one could predict win against Spain.
Spain plays against Italy and Croatia against 3rd in group B, E or F (still don't get this new format).

Awesome game. Kinda hoped for the 1-1 but Croatia was clearly better in the second half. Neither team should've gotten a penalty so I'm actually glad Spain didnt score it, wouldve been unfair. No shame in losing to one of my favorite teams of the tournament to begin with :tup

I think this means Spain will play Wales in the round of 16? I can live with that, they havent impressed me much despite coming in #1 but Spain definitely need to improve if they want to have a shot at their third consecutive championship title.

EDIT: Apparently it's most likely to be Spain Italy, nice!
I was pretty happy for Croatian players to play so good in 2nd half Iniesta had no idea what to do with the ball.
I accept my 0/10 :tup

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1256 on: June 21, 2016, 03:07:09 PM »
Well, thanks to Croatia to ship Spain our way (I'm italian so I root for Italy), we really needed that  :facepalm:

So if Italy somehow defeats Spain will likely face Germany in the quarter finals and France in the semi-finals. Only good thing out of this is that if by any chance they reach the final, they're gonna win hands down  ;D

Italy always sucked at the first stage, and now that they dominate they get Spain. Damn!!!!!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1257 on: June 21, 2016, 03:10:47 PM »
Of course not :tup it was a good game and I knew it could be close.

I feel like the whole penalty drama is going to become a big pointless issue. A bit odd that Subasic was allowed out of his goal that far but I feel like it shouldn't have been a penalty in the first place.

Well, thanks to Croatia to ship Spain our way (I'm italian so I root for Italy), we really needed that  :facepalm:

So if Italy somehow defeats Spain will likely face Germany in the quarter finals and France in the semi-finals. Only good thing out of this is that if by any chance they reach the final, they're gonna win hands down  ;D

Italy always sucked at the first stage, and now that they dominate they get Spain. Damn!!!!!

That's always tough, a lot of the time you want to face the lowest rated team, but how the teams are currently ranked in the groups after all games are played is how they are ranked in this instance, so I don't know, maybe Croatia is a more dangerous side to face than Spain. I wasn't impressed by them in their first game but they seem to get better with each next one.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1258 on: June 21, 2016, 06:09:41 PM »
Croatia has impressed me, I like watching them.  That Spain v Italy should be awesome. I hope Italy keeps some guys out tomorrow cause the game means nothing. Anyhow............getting ready for U.S. v Argentina. Stoked. I hope our guys keep it a match. But I think Argentina 2-1.

Offline don_waka

« Reply #1259 on: June 21, 2016, 08:56:53 PM »
Aaaaand Argentina makes it to the final of the Copa América  :tup
Colombia plays Chile tomorrow night. The winner will play Argentina on Sunday.