Author Topic: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)  (Read 203247 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)
« Reply #1120 on: March 20, 2016, 11:03:59 AM »
Bundesliga has some good teams but it's almost like the Scottish Premier League where you know that one team is gonna win it 8 out of 10 times. Compare that to Premier League where Leicester and Spurs will finish #1 and #2, who saw that coming?

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1121 on: March 24, 2016, 06:54:44 AM »
Football/Soccer legend Johan Cruijff just passed away at 68  :'( sad day.

Can't say I was a fan, but to say he was an influential person in the football scene would be an understatement.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1122 on: April 26, 2016, 07:19:51 AM »
Anyone watching the Champions league game today? I do not have any horses left in this race but love to watch the games.

I would love to see a City vs, Bayern final.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1123 on: April 26, 2016, 07:22:02 AM »
I hope Atletico takes CL, they're by far the most charming team left in the tournament. I hope we get a reprise of the Madrid-final with Atletico edging Real out this time.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1124 on: April 26, 2016, 07:47:41 AM »
Yeah Atletico should win this, not a big fan but I can't stand the other teams.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1125 on: April 26, 2016, 08:55:57 AM »
I can't stand any of the 4 teams so whoever wins is the same right now. I think maybe Bayern would be the one that bothers me the least because even though I hate them as a club because of how they're ruining the bundesliga I have to admit their game is simply outstanding.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1126 on: April 26, 2016, 08:57:35 AM »
That is where I am. The Bayern v City would be interesting given Pep's move next year tho.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1127 on: April 26, 2016, 02:49:44 PM »
Well that was a shitty game. n general.............ugh

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1128 on: April 28, 2016, 10:26:20 AM »
So, Matts Hummels has requested a move to Bayern Munich. I don't think there is a team I hate more than them right now. In order to be the best in the Bundesliga they consistently undermine Dortmund by getting their best players. Talk about shitty competition...

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #1129 on: April 28, 2016, 12:00:22 PM »
It's shit but I can understand Mats Hummels. He's playing in a good team in Dortmund but for the last years they've won nothing. So if you want to win titles you have to go to Bayern or a foreign team.

But that's how it's always been. Bayern not only buys the best players to have them for themselves, but also to weaken the competitors. They've taken away a lot of promising talents from other teams only to have them sit on the bench for several seasons.  :tdwn

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1130 on: April 29, 2016, 06:32:11 AM »
It's shit but I can understand Mats Hummels. He's playing in a good team in Dortmund but for the last years they've won nothing. So if you want to win titles you have to go to Bayern or a foreign team.

But that's how it's always been. Bayern not only buys the best players to have them for themselves, but also to weaken the competitors. They've taken away a lot of promising talents from other teams only to have them sit on the bench for several seasons.  :tdwn

I do get Hummels might want to win something but if that's the case go somewhere else, all of the big teams in Europe are after him. Specially after he criticized Gotze so much when he did the same thing.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1131 on: April 29, 2016, 09:27:56 AM »
I don't get it either. So many European teams to choose from, and he switches to the arch rival? I mean, yes, Bayern brought him up so there's that connection, but still.

That's the really lame part. It's really not helping the competitiveness of the Bundesliga at all. That Dortmund was breathing down their neck the whole season is actually kind of a miracle, because otherwise the BL is kinda a one-team show these days.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1132 on: May 01, 2016, 02:29:23 AM »
Bayern looks like an early winner of CL next year. New and better manager coming in, they'll stop playing the ball sideways for 90 minutes and do more, they're getting one of the best defenders in Bundesliga of the last years, who has a proven partnership with Boateng. Plus whoever else they get in the summer. Unfortunately the league is gonna be utterly pointless but in CL they will have a good chance.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1133 on: May 01, 2016, 01:26:21 PM »
You don't think Leicester is gonna win the CL?   :P
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1134 on: May 02, 2016, 07:49:16 AM »
You don't think Leicester is gonna win the CL?   :P

They definitely will! Jamie Vardy will continue his legacy by shooting England through the final of the Euros, becoming the top goalscorer and winning the gold medal, only to follow it up with Champions League next year!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1135 on: May 02, 2016, 02:59:03 PM »
Leicester are Premier League champions!

What an awesome achievement, genuinely really pleasing!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1136 on: May 02, 2016, 04:42:39 PM »
Hopefully a sign of things to come. Not for Leicester specifically, but for the likes of Tottenham, West Ham and other underdogs
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1137 on: May 03, 2016, 01:40:35 AM »
If they keep their star players (Kane, Alli etc.), I can easily see Spurs challenging for the title in seasons to come. But well played Leicester City! What a truly extraordinary achievement! On BBC's Match of the Day last night, one of the pundits said that Manchester United spent more on players in the last 2 seasons than Leicester have in their ENTIRE 132-year history. Which is just absolutely mindboggling!

The fact that Leicester have maintained their form over the course of a nine-month, 38-game season (they haven't just won something in a single moment of brilliance), makes this one of the greatest stories, not just in football, but in sport, full stop.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #1138 on: May 03, 2016, 02:33:14 AM »
If they keep their star players (Kane, Alli etc.), I can easily see Spurs challenging for the title in seasons to come. But well played Leicester City! What a truly extraordinary achievement! On BBC's Match of the Day last night, one of the pundits said that Manchester United spent more on players in the last 2 seasons than Leicester have in their ENTIRE 132-year history. Which is just absolutely mindboggling!

The fact that Leicester have maintained their form over the course of a nine-month, 38-game season (they haven't just won something in a single moment of brilliance), makes this one of the greatest stories, not just in football, but in sport, full stop.

^ This. I'm only a casual football fan really, but in these days of obscene player salaries, it's nice to see a victory for good old fashioned teamwork.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1139 on: May 03, 2016, 06:43:38 AM »
Bayern looks like an early winner of CL next year. New and better manager coming in, they'll stop playing the ball sideways for 90 minutes and do more, they're getting one of the best defenders in Bundesliga of the last years, who has a proven partnership with Boateng. Plus whoever else they get in the summer. Unfortunately the league is gonna be utterly pointless but in CL they will have a good chance.

Well, playing the ball sideways 90 minutes has gotten them 3 consecutive bundesliga titles scoring 94, 80 and 75 (so far) goals, so yeah, it seems whenever they play the other team puts their goal on the side....

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1140 on: May 03, 2016, 02:40:25 PM »
YEEEEEEEES Atletico goes on! Well deserved and yet again Guardiola is beaten by a superior manager.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1141 on: May 03, 2016, 03:11:50 PM »
I thought in the second half Bayern would destroy Atletico. But man, two missed penalties, that's not something you see every day.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1142 on: May 03, 2016, 03:16:58 PM »
I was rooting for Atletico though. Bayern were kinda making the Bundesliga lame with their dominance, for Guardiola winning the league seems to almost be a routine he has to go through as part of getting the triple. So, screw them.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1143 on: May 04, 2016, 12:49:08 AM »
Well, playing the ball sideways 90 minutes has gotten them 3 consecutive bundesliga titles scoring 94, 80 and 75 (so far) goals, so yeah, it seems whenever they play the other team puts their goal on the side....

Sure, but Bayern were jogging home Bundesliga-titles before Pep took over and will continue to do so after he's gone. He's had arguably the best squad in Europe these last 3 years (Barcelona has a better offense, but overall Bayern has a stronger squad) yet he has failed to win CL, or even reaching the final. As harsh as it sounds, I don't think the board over there are too happy about that. The league titles are obviously a great thing, but the CL-trophy only goes to the best team in Europe (and arguably the whole world) and Bayern wants to win that trophy.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #1144 on: May 04, 2016, 12:54:32 AM »
Bye bye Bayern, as I never liked you I'm not sad.

Maybe they should have kept Heynckes (he won the treble) but then I never could got the hype for Pep Guardiola either, so I'm biased.

And for Bayern the Bundesliga Championship is almost a given. A season where they finish 2nd is a major disappointment in their own eyes, finishing 1st is ok but not that special. CL is where it's at and obviously they lack that certain bit to win it regularly.

And now Rummenigge is blaming the referee. He claims that Atletico's goal was offsides and the penalty against them was a foul out of the penalty box. The last is probably true but Atletico didn't score so wtf?
This is one guy that I adored as a kid when he was an active player, but he has turned arrogant s-hole as soon as he became management board member.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 02:28:24 AM by Kwyjibo »

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1145 on: May 04, 2016, 06:18:14 AM »

Sure, but Bayern were jogging home Bundesliga-titles before Pep took over and will continue to do so after he's gone. He's had arguably the best squad in Europe these last 3 years (Barcelona has a better offense, but overall Bayern has a stronger squad) yet he has failed to win CL, or even reaching the final. As harsh as it sounds, I don't think the board over there are too happy about that. The league titles are obviously a great thing, but the CL-trophy only goes to the best team in Europe (and arguably the whole world) and Bayern wants to win that trophy.

I think this time he did a good job. Bayern shot 33 times yesterday and didn't win only because Oblak had his best game ever. In truth it's extremely hard to win the Champions League, there's a reason why no team has won it twice in a row since this new format exists.
Regarding them having the best team overall, I don't know if I can agree with that. I like Barcelona better in all lines, except for goalie, and let's not forget Bayern had to deal with tons of injuries this season, specially on their defense.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1146 on: May 04, 2016, 07:15:22 AM »
And now Rummenigge is blaming the referee. He claims that Atletico's goal was offsides and the penalty against them was a foul out of the penalty box. The last is probably true but Atletico didn't score so wtf?
This is one guy that I adored as a kid when he was an active player, but he has turned arrogant s-hole as soon as he became management board member.

Word on that. The referee did a pretty good job yesterday, and yeah, the penalty was totally irrelevant. Rummenigge is, as you say, just an asshole who rather accuses the referee than blaming the ones to blame, the team.
Regarding the actual goal having been offsides, maybe, but at best a very close call. The real issue was the major defense fuckup.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #1147 on: May 04, 2016, 07:37:00 AM »
Yep, and if you don't score on your own penalties then you have only yourself to blame.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1148 on: May 04, 2016, 08:20:24 AM »
I gotta say that it's inspiring to see teams like Atletico and Leicester have such success. Don't get me wrong, a nice attacking side has much to admire, but I'm equally impressed with an underdog who manages to tactically defeat an opponent much bigger than themselves. There's something really admirable about a very limited team who doesn't have the same resources who manages to play to their strengths perfectly, get the results and then win titles as a result. Sure, Atletico today should be considered a top team, but they're still considered an underdog by most.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1149 on: May 22, 2016, 04:11:46 PM »
one word MESSI! I have been around soccer for 40 years, What we witnessing from this man is amazing. Greatest player ever.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1150 on: May 23, 2016, 11:31:26 AM »
one word MESSI! I have been around soccer for 40 years, What we witnessing from this man is amazing. Greatest player ever.

He's alright but he's no Nicklas Bendtner! They call him the lord for a reason.  ;)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1151 on: May 28, 2016, 03:36:30 PM »
Well that turned out shitty.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1152 on: May 29, 2016, 04:12:27 AM »
Well that turned out shitty.

Worst ucl final i've seen.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1153 on: May 30, 2016, 06:33:32 PM »
A Mexican footballer was kidnapped? Rescued by the government, but what the heck Mexico?

Offline don_waka

« Reply #1154 on: June 01, 2016, 07:20:04 PM »
Anybody interested in watching Copa America?
If so, which team will you be supporting?