Author Topic: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)  (Read 202410 times)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)
« Reply #1085 on: January 04, 2016, 07:30:38 AM »
Yeah, that probably has to do with it.

On another note, the EPL is killing football. Good teams are paying ridiculous amounts of money for players and even the "worst" teams have a budget that can't be match by good teams in other leagues. I very much don't like FIFA interceding in the leagues, specially with the latest scandal so fresh but if either them or UEFA don't do something in the very near future we'll see the rest of the leagues become even more one sided and boring than they are right now while the EPL gathers all the talent.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1086 on: January 14, 2016, 09:21:43 AM »
What a match yesterday between Liverpool and Arsenal, lots of goals, lots of excitement, and really fun to see Wenger and Klopp on the sidelines, just a great spectacle overall.
I love to watch these kind of matches, where 2 opposite styles clash against each other, usually the games are super exciting.

PD: Can someone in London break Ramseys legs? His death goals are getting a little bit annoying lately...

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1087 on: January 14, 2016, 12:57:25 PM »
Despite certain managers moaning about these midweek fixtures, this last round of matches was one of the most entertaining of the entire season. 34 goals in total, including two 3-3 thrillers! (Try saying that quickly...  ;))

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1088 on: February 06, 2016, 12:38:41 PM »
I should've bet all my money on Leicester, back in November.

Also, I know it's a couple weeks old and maybe you've all seen it already, but it's worth sharing again. Best goal of the season, that I've seen, and it's not even close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciFK6smUTAg
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1089 on: February 06, 2016, 02:14:12 PM »
Jamie Vardy's first goal for Leicester v Liverpool last Tuesday is at least as good as that. A real bullet from well outside the box.

I'm so willing Leicester to pull this off now. They play with a freshness not seen here in many a year. They've taken 6 points against teams that, in seasons past, should easily beat them. Also, when was the last time that English players dominated the scoring headlines in the Premier League? Kane, Vardy, Alli. A truly remarkable season!

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1090 on: February 06, 2016, 03:21:18 PM »
Leicester seem unstoppable.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1091 on: February 06, 2016, 03:50:22 PM »
Jamie Vardy's first goal for Leicester v Liverpool last Tuesday is at least as good as that. A real bullet from well outside the box.

I disagree, but I'm curious to hear what other people think.

Vardy's volley is great, no doubt, but off a bounce I don't think the degree of difficulty is nearly as high as the juggle/spin to beat the defender/volley.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1092 on: February 07, 2016, 11:13:22 AM »
Vardy's goal was fantastic but I have to agree with Seneca that Alli's skill show was top notch.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1093 on: February 16, 2016, 01:37:37 PM »
I f'n love Champions League. This Chelsea vs.  Paris game is awesome! I love my Chelsea but I love Zlatan.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1094 on: March 01, 2016, 02:45:37 PM »
Don't look now, but Chelsea has just crept into the top 10 in the EPL. :lol
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1095 on: March 02, 2016, 05:30:13 AM »
 :eek

I was so concentrated on what is happening at the top that I stopped paying attention to Chelsea. Sacking Mou was definitely the right move, it removed them from the spotlight and thus took the pressure from the players.

Speaking of what's happening at the top, if the Spurs win today they'll reach first place along with Leicester. As much as I like the underdogs in Leicester, I'd much rather see the Spurs win the championship, they play some really good football.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1096 on: March 02, 2016, 02:41:04 PM »
It's a weird couple of days when three of the top four teams lose and the other one draws. Wtf.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1097 on: March 03, 2016, 08:46:17 AM »
Woot, Bayern stumbled yesterday, losing against Mainz. That brings down the point difference to Dortmund to 5. And guess who Bayern is playing on Saturday? Exactly, Dortmund!!  :omg:
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1098 on: March 03, 2016, 08:59:05 AM »
Would be nice if Dortmund beats Bayern, just to keep things a little bit exciting, but I'm not counting on it.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1099 on: March 03, 2016, 09:11:46 AM »
Usually I wouldn't either, but they're playing at Dortmund, and Bayern has had a good number of injuries lately.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1100 on: March 03, 2016, 09:34:56 AM »
I'd also love to see that but the truth is even with tons of injuries Bayern has been able to win games and keep the level of play. I don't think Dortmund will be able to win the league, but they'll give Bayern a good run for their money.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #1101 on: March 03, 2016, 09:47:47 AM »
Even if Dortmund wins this game they are still two points behind and will then probably lose some game against Hannover or the like. Bayern will win some games with last minute goals and we're back to where we always are. So boring.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1102 on: March 03, 2016, 03:07:41 PM »
Jeez. What a fun attitude.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #1103 on: March 04, 2016, 02:12:14 AM »
Isn't that how it always turns out? Not to constantly bash Bayern, but for the last few years the Bundesliga is just boring. There just isn't anyone who can compete with Bayern in the long run it seems.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1104 on: March 04, 2016, 03:54:46 AM »
Would be great if Dortmund managed to win. Bundesliga is definitely one of the least exciting leagues when you know that one team is gonna win it 9 times out of 10. So it's great when a team like Dortmund can get involved and possibly snatch the win.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1105 on: March 04, 2016, 04:16:38 AM »
It's obvious that Mourinho's downfall at Chelsea was a display of player power. The players forced him out by not playing for him after the whole team doctor situation. How else can you explain their sudden ability to play and win games again under Hiddink?

And it's interesting how both Bayern Munich and Manchester City have suffered slumps in form since Pep announced he was going to City next season. Might be the best thing he's done for the Bundesliga, perhaps making it more interesting by allowing the other teams to catch up.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1106 on: March 05, 2016, 01:50:49 PM »
I know, I'm not questioning the efficiency of the system, that wouldn't make any sense. Mine is more of an aesthetics critic. As I said, I don't like how they play and I wouldn't like the rest of the premier league to star copying it since it seems to be so effective.

I take back what I said. Fuck Leicester--I want them to choke.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1107 on: March 05, 2016, 06:17:36 PM »
Maybe it was because of the environment I watched it in, but the Bayern-Dortmund game wasn't all that exciting. A few good chances, but overall they shut down each other very well. Especially in the second half people started to zone out.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1108 on: March 13, 2016, 05:01:39 PM »
Today two fans independently suffered a heart attack 20m away from each other during the Dortmund-Mainz game. One of them died right there, the other is stable. This is the fans singing "You Never Walk Alone" in his honor:

https://mobile.twitter.com/RNBVB/status/709081345323114496

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1109 on: March 15, 2016, 04:30:53 PM »
Well, I just sat through one of the most tense penalty shootouts.

Forza Atleti  :metal
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1110 on: March 16, 2016, 06:26:04 AM »

I understand that game was boring as fuck  :lol

Anyways, 2 great matches today. I'm gonna watch Barsa till they score a goal and I know that series is definitely closed, then I'll go to Juve-Bayern. Both teams are missing important players so we'll see how well they can play.

Offline Heavy Metal Hippie

« Reply #1111 on: March 16, 2016, 04:57:40 PM »
Juve - Bayern

Phew...that was

What a comeback from Bayern, after 0:2 up to the 72nd minute against Juve.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1112 on: March 17, 2016, 02:44:13 AM »

I understand that game was boring as fuck  :lol

Yes, yes it was. As an Atletico supporter I'm still pretty disappointed, hope they can step it up for the quarters.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1113 on: March 18, 2016, 07:52:18 AM »
This friend of mine constantly tries to convince me the EPL is the better and stronger than the Bundesliga. No offense to the EPL, but the #2 of the Bundesliga totally outclassed the #2 of the EPL yesterday and last week.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #1114 on: March 18, 2016, 08:01:39 AM »
And the Bundesliga will do it probably again in the next round when Klopp meets his former team of Dortmund.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1115 on: March 18, 2016, 08:16:06 AM »
This friend of mine constantly tries to convince me the EPL is the better and stronger than the Bundesliga. No offense to the EPL, but the #2 of the Bundesliga totally outclassed the #2 of the EPL yesterday and last week.

Well, the fact that one team runs over another doesn't mean the whole league is more interesting. PSG can run over lots of teams from the EPL but that doesn't mean the French league as a whole is more interesting, just that the top teams are stronger.

In the Bundesliga there's a 5 point difference between the 1st and second team, and then a 16 point difference between 2nd and 3rd.
In the EPL, there's a 16 point difference between the 1st and 6th spot and you have to consider both Tottenham and Licester have played 1 more game than the guys behind them.

So yeah, I'd say overall the EPL is the most fun to watch.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #1116 on: March 18, 2016, 08:27:29 AM »
I agree that the Bundesliga is boring with the dominance of Bayern München and that there is more suspense and excitement in the EPL right now but that doesn't mean the league as a whole is stronger.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1117 on: March 18, 2016, 08:38:09 AM »
I would agree that the EPL has less spread and that each game is probably more interesting because any team could go to the top, but in terms of strength, I don't see it. Europa League has only one English team remaining that is likely to drop out soon, and the UCL also only has one. Bundesliga currently has 3 teams in those competitions.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1118 on: March 18, 2016, 09:07:16 AM »
What Nekov said.

And also, you can't ignore the fact that Tottenham put out a much weaker side than they were capable of playing, while Borussia Dortmund played pretty much full strength. In the first game especially, when Tottenham was without three of their best midfielders, without their one and only star striker (and leading scorer in the league), and with both fullbacks rotated.

Simply because those guys needed the rest, because they're caught in a much more competitive league title race. Dortmund doesn't have to worry about that as much, because their league is generally not as competitive. Barring a really wild end of the season, they'll end second place with much room to spare behind them.

None of that's to say that Dortmund isn't better than Tottenham--I think they almost certainly are. But if you've been following Tottenham at all this season, you know that the team they put out both games was most definitely not the same eleven that's currently in 2nd place. They started the game at Dortmund with only 3 of their preferred starting 11.

If anything, the weakness of the team they put out just goes to show a difference in priorities between the clubs and highlights how competitive the EPL is.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1119 on: March 18, 2016, 09:26:20 AM »
I would agree that the EPL has less spread and that each game is probably more interesting because any team could go to the top, but in terms of strength, I don't see it. Europa League has only one English team remaining that is likely to drop out soon, and the UCL also only has one. Bundesliga currently has 3 teams in those competitions.
This season has been particularly insane in the EPL. Last season's champions are average and mid-table, while a team that nearly got relegated last year is sitting comfortably at the top.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.