Author Topic: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)  (Read 202495 times)

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Re: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)
« Reply #1015 on: October 15, 2015, 01:38:36 AM »
I'd say more of the former than the latter. Despite all the injuries, we have lots of good players left. It's disgraceful we played so badly throughout the qualifiers.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1016 on: October 15, 2015, 05:14:39 AM »
I remember such a streak at the start of the '90's. A string of bad matches against the likes of Cyprus, Belgium, and such. Everything that could go wrong in those matches went wrong. Bad defensive mistakes, bad matches and overall just bad luck. We've had a string of good luck at the last tournement, and now it seems the luck has turned again. Oh well. I just hope wisdom will prevail.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1017 on: October 15, 2015, 07:03:05 AM »
I think it's more than bad luck and injuries. The Netherlands just couldn't compete with the teams above them, they only got one point out of the six matches against Iceland, Czech Republic and Turkey. And neither of them are football-giants.

There seems to be a lot wrong in the structual, management and coaching areas, at least looking from the outside. You have to seriously work on that and not just hope that luck turns around again.

Germany had a similar phase at the end of the 90s and the beginning of the 00s. Thank god some stones were turned and some right decisions were made.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1018 on: October 15, 2015, 12:08:37 PM »
Agreed. But things will change eventually. For now, I'll just be supporting Belgium and Germany during Euro 2016.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #1019 on: October 16, 2015, 08:44:09 AM »
According to german news magazine Der Spiegel, Germany 'bought' 2006 World Cup bid.

While this is not that surprising, because there were rumors almost from the beginning, it makes you wonder if there is any decision Fifa has made that wasn't bought.

https://www.thelocal.de/20151016/germany-bought-2006-world-cup-bid

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1020 on: October 16, 2015, 09:16:16 AM »
It makes you wonder if there is any decision Fifa has made that wasn't bought.

I'm gonna go ahead and say no.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1021 on: October 16, 2015, 10:10:35 PM »
Agreed. But things will change eventually. For now, I'll just be supporting Belgium and Germany during Euro 2016.

Usually I should be happy Holland didn't make it (being German and all), but Holland was always my backup team to root for when Germany got kicked out in a competition. Real bummer you guys didn't make it.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1022 on: October 17, 2015, 07:03:35 AM »
Ah, being half Spanish and half Dutch I'm actually not too disappointed with this, I always thought the extreme hype over here (I've always lived in The Netherlands) was a bit annoying.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1023 on: October 25, 2015, 07:53:06 AM »
I'm still enjoying Chelsea's downfall. They're not actually far off the relegation zone.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1024 on: October 26, 2015, 07:03:12 AM »
#lolmourinho

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1025 on: October 31, 2015, 08:58:22 AM »
José "there's nothing to say" Mourinho

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1026 on: October 31, 2015, 09:26:52 AM »
Is it bad that I kind of feel sorry for him?

I know he's a bit of a nut, but I've always seen him as having his players' best interest at heart. All his bitching about refereeing and other coaches etc., etc., as a way to divert attention from the fact that his squad is underperforming. In other words, making himself the villain in order to protect his players from ridicule. Folks might be less likely to berate Eden Hazard in the media when they can instead say, lol mourinho...
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1027 on: October 31, 2015, 09:57:17 AM »
I'd say Chelsea are the least sympathetic team in the whole league so it's hard for me to feel sorry for them. I love every second of them under performing, especially with scum like Costa on the pitch.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1028 on: October 31, 2015, 02:05:14 PM »
I'd say Chelsea are the least sympathetic team in the whole league so it's hard for me to feel sorry for them. I love every second of them under performing, especially with scum like Costa on the pitch.

Agreed

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1029 on: October 31, 2015, 02:20:29 PM »
I agree as well. Definitely don't feel sorry for Chelsea and their players. Just maybe a little bit for Jose, as weird as that might sound.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1030 on: October 31, 2015, 04:20:53 PM »
He's a great manager, despite his downs (he really seems to run a team into the ground after 3 seasons), and I would put him up there among the best. The main issue is he's not very consistent. He pretty much always gets a few trophies in the first and second year, but then in the third everything just goes bad and he gets fired.

Despite all his triumphs, he just comes off as such a douchebag. Comparing him to Klopp (which seems fair after today's game), it's day and night. With Klopp you have a guy who is smiling and laughing during the interview, he's very passionate about football, his team and the people around him, and he's also very humble. Mourinho on the other hand is the same dead, cold self that he has always been. He's sarcastically applauding decisions by the referee that go against Chelsea, he confront referees in the player tunnel and gets sent up, he never takes any responsibility or gives the other team any props for their victory. Some words you will never hear from Mourinho's mouth are "The other team played better than us today and they deserved the win". Sure, a lot of managers are bad losers, but that combined with everything else he's doing.. blaming FIFA, UEFA, the medical team, the guy responsible for the water bottles, the weather, and he also takes the time to applaud players like Costa and encourage shitty behavior on the football pitch. When he as a manager pokes the eye of the assistant manager of the other team (Real vs Barcelona a few years back), he sends some really weird messages to his players about what is okay or not.

I still think he is an excellent manager, but he goes out of his way to be as big of a douchebag as possible. He might be the nicest guy ever, and spend time with his kids, wife, be kind to his friends, but he has built his whole image on people hating him and that it's always him against the world. Everything I've already said, plus the fact that he always plays very defensive football with the main object of scoring a goal, then tackling, defending, using every dirty trick to injure other players, make the time pass faster and get the result.. it doesn't make him very sympathetic.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1031 on: November 09, 2015, 09:48:40 AM »
And once again, #lolmourinho. Chelsea seems to be headed to it's worst season in decades. Mourinho can probably turn this around but it will require lots of changes in the winter market and still I don't think they'll be able to get into a Champions spot, even a Euro League spot.

Talking about other leagues, I've been following Borussia Dortmund since the start of the season and I must say I don't think there's any other team right now that I enjoy more, their way of playing is just beautiful.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #1032 on: November 13, 2015, 08:14:54 AM »
So apparently Belgium is at #1 in the FIFA world ranking:

https://de.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ranking-table/men/ (in german, but still)

While I think Belgium has a very good team at the moment, this can't be serious. There must be something wrong in the calculation methods, or, because this is FIFA, money was involved.  ;D

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1033 on: November 13, 2015, 11:31:22 AM »
So apparently Belgium is at #1 in the FIFA world ranking:

https://de.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ranking-table/men/ (in german, but still)

While I think Belgium has a very good team at the moment, this can't be serious. There must be something wrong in the calculation methods, or, because this is FIFA, money was involved.  ;D

Lol. The calculation method is a bit complicated. Here you have a wikipedia article that explains it

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #1034 on: November 16, 2015, 12:05:35 AM »
I know the calculation method although I'm not sure I understand it completely. But all I'm saying is, this method has some curious results in regards to how I (and probably many others) view the strength of teams and where they rank.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1035 on: November 16, 2015, 08:06:34 AM »
I know the calculation method although I'm not sure I understand it completely. But all I'm saying is, this method has some curious results in regards to how I (and probably many others) view the strength of teams and where they rank.

Well, Belgium had a pretty decent world cup reaching quarter finals and being eliminated against Argentina by only 1 goal. After that they were really strong during all of the qualifiers.
Argentina had a great world cup and a great Copa America but the start of the world cup qualifiers has been disastrous. We had good friendly games in between but none against any really strong team.
Germany won the world cup but after that had a couple of bumps during the Qualifiers and friendly matches.

So, while I agree that there are teams that on paper are stronger that Belgium, they've been doing it really good lately and deserve the first place because that's what the ranking really measures, how a team does over a specific period of time.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #1036 on: November 16, 2015, 08:59:50 AM »
Another interesting thing is, that Germany overtook Argentina once again. Germany has won the World-Cup but since then not really played well and have even lost against Argentina, so why are they suddenly better again? And France beat us easily and they are like number 24 on that list.

And Belgium is playing really well, but their qualification round for the European Championship was against B or C grade teams.

And even the linked wikipedia article mentions some criticism:

Similarly, Belgium's rank of world number 1 in November 2015 was met with skepticism in the press, given that Belgium had only played in one tournament in the past 13 years.

But all in all it doesn't matter, I just found it curious.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1037 on: November 16, 2015, 01:43:01 PM »
Yeah I never really take the qualification results too seriously, it's 95% of the time 1-2 A-grade teams that will easily qualify, and they score atleast half of their points against countries like Kazachstan. Ofcourse this year something different happened as Group A ended up being a  complete disaster.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1038 on: November 21, 2015, 11:07:59 AM »
Barring a relatively big comeback, looks like Leicester will top the standings. I haven't been following them closely but they continue to  impress. What a great season, so far. It'll be interesting to see how much longer they keep it up.

Tottenham-West Ham tomorrow should be a really good match tomorrow, as well. Hopefully three points to the Spurs.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1039 on: November 24, 2015, 01:46:23 PM »
Watching Bayern play is such a pointless exercise. There is no thrill, they will win anyway.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1040 on: December 12, 2015, 11:06:31 AM »
I just finished watching the group draw for the European Championship next summer. Some interesting matches to look forward to.

Group A:
France
Romania
Albania
Switzerland

Group B:
England
Russia
Wales
Slovakia

Group C:
Germany
Ukraine
Poland
Northern Ireland

Group D:
Spain
Czech Republic
Turkey
Croatia

Group E:
Belgium
Italy
Republic of Ireland
Sweden

Group F:
Portugal
Iceland
Austria
Hungary
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 11:14:35 AM by Zydar »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline MajorBoobage

« Reply #1041 on: December 12, 2015, 11:12:24 AM »
Group D and E will be fun
It seems that they're entering an area of extreme hazard. A zone of some sort. A dangerous one.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1042 on: December 12, 2015, 11:15:33 AM »
I couldn't believe it when Wales (my team) were drawn in the same group as England. I know we talked about it happening, but sort of jokingly. Now it's happening for real.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1043 on: December 12, 2015, 11:17:23 AM »
Damn, yeah I laughed when I saw that.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1044 on: December 12, 2015, 11:37:19 AM »
I couldn't believe it when Wales (my team) were drawn in the same group as England. I know we talked about it happening, but sort of jokingly. Now it's happening for real.

I'm really glad Russia (my team) is drawn in the same group as England. I'm hoping to get some good laughs out of this game. Russia will probably suck. :lol

They'll probably suck against Wales too, so I call this group draw a definite win. Looking forward to this.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1045 on: December 12, 2015, 12:50:52 PM »
Another big scalp for Bournemouth this evening, beating Manchester United 2-1, exactly a week after taking all 3 points at Stamford Bridge. Another twist in an utterly bizarre Premier League season.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1046 on: December 12, 2015, 12:54:34 PM »
It's really painful to be a Man Utd supporter now :facepalm:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline MajorBoobage

« Reply #1047 on: December 12, 2015, 12:58:42 PM »
ManU needs to sack LVG, they are playing really bad football this season. They didn˙t pass the group in champions league. Cmon, with that team and money spent.
It seems that they're entering an area of extreme hazard. A zone of some sort. A dangerous one.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1048 on: December 12, 2015, 01:05:47 PM »
Dang, Spain (my team) ended up having one of the toughest groups, oh well, Czech haven't really been performing too well and I'm still hoping Turkey group phase was a fluke, but if Spain don't suck like last world cup they should be fine..

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1049 on: December 12, 2015, 04:49:27 PM »
Initially when I looked at Germany's group I thought "come aaawwwnn, we play Poland and Ireland again?!" Then I realized it's Northern Ireland, not Republic of Ireland.