Author Topic: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)  (Read 202391 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)
« Reply #980 on: September 10, 2015, 09:35:56 AM »
If you look at any rules change or the like over history, one single guiding theme of them was "the original nature of the game must not be changed". And that means, the flow is continuous, and the referee on the ground is who decides penalties. Video-reffing would violate both of those aspects. That's why they don't allow it.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 09:42:48 AM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #981 on: September 10, 2015, 09:40:34 AM »
Same discussion that´s going round for aeons is getting rid of the offside rule. It may change the game in a positive way, but they´re never gonna get rid of it.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #982 on: September 10, 2015, 09:43:48 AM »
Getting rid of offside? WTF? That would immediately and utterly destroy the game. It is one of the oldest rules in the book for good reason.
Without the offside rule, each team would plant a player (or more) in front of the opposing goal, and then the game would devolve into kicking the ball up and high across the field all the time.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #983 on: September 10, 2015, 10:50:07 AM »
If you look at any rules change or the like over history, one single guiding theme of them was "the original nature of the game must not be changed". And that means, the flow is continuous, and the referee on the ground is who decides penalties. Video-reffing would violate both of those aspects. That's why they don't allow it.

I know that's what they say officially but I think they're just using that as an excuse.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #984 on: September 10, 2015, 11:47:30 PM »
And that means, the flow is continuous, and the referee on the ground is who decides penalties.

I know that this is the reason FIFA states when it comes to video-replays. But the flow in the game isn't continouos, with all the fouls, offsides, freekicks, throw-ins, goal-kicks, exchange of players etc. Even worse when one team is playing for time, so that argument, at least for me, isn't really valid.

Getting rid of offside? WTF? That would immediately and utterly destroy the game. It is one of the oldest rules in the book for good reason.
Without the offside rule, each team would plant a player (or more) in front of the opposing goal, and then the game would devolve into kicking the ball up and high across the field all the time.

I'm mostly with you, it would probably destroy the game. The obvious thing, like you mentioned, is to plant some players before the opponent's goal, but that means, the more players you sent to the opponent's goal the less you have to defend your own goal. It would be interesting to see what tactics the teams adopt and if maybe an interesting game could develop. They should try it just for the fun of it in test-matches.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #985 on: September 11, 2015, 01:55:01 AM »
I like the Offside-rule. It's hard to explain, but there's a really satisfying feeling when a team scores a goal after what looks to be an offside situation, but the pass is actually played out perfectly on time, it's just really great timing. On the other side of that, sometimes you pass the ball half a second too late and it's ruled out instead. It's a part of the charm. The rule really makes you appreciate the passing players more, and their sense of timing, which is sometimes freakishly perfect.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #986 on: September 11, 2015, 04:01:20 AM »
The offside-rule makes some sense and I think I know what you mean with the perfect timing. But often the game is so fast you can really only see if it was offsides in the slow motion and sometimes even not there. And sometimes it's just a few centimeters. So there's bound to be a lot of errors by the refs. But to control every assumed offsides in a video replay would severely hinder the flow of play.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #987 on: September 12, 2015, 08:10:50 AM »
I will always live and die with Chelsea, but wtf is going on????????????????? It is getting scary.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #988 on: September 12, 2015, 11:33:12 AM »
lol Mourinho.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #989 on: September 12, 2015, 05:12:38 PM »
Going back to using video, apparently the Brazilian league will ask FIFA to let them use it for 6 specific plays: Offisde, Penalties, determining whether a foul was commited inside/outside the area, determining whether the ball left the court or not, determining if a goal should be scratched off in case there was something irregular during the play and determining whether a player should get a red card for a hard foul.

I like ther initiative but I think this should only be used for Offsides and Penalties.

Regarding Chelsea

lol Mourinho.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #990 on: September 14, 2015, 03:32:06 AM »
I would personally be fine with any use of technology that is instantaneous. So yeah, E.g. if you could make offside calls more accurate with some kind of Hawkeye technology, I'd be down for that.
I *don't* think it should be used to revise scores in hindsight. Errors are errors and are to some degree part of the game, and score changes massively influence the dynamic if the game, so it's not as if you could just say "if we delete this one goal, the rest of the game would have stayed the same".

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #991 on: September 16, 2015, 05:31:04 PM »
Hilarious that even with how horrible Chelsea has played so far, they're the only English team with a win on the Champions League. :lol
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #992 on: September 16, 2015, 06:59:12 PM »
I can't believe Arsenal lost today. And yeah, Chelsea managed to win but they played aganist an easier team than the other English teams.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #993 on: September 19, 2015, 01:51:27 PM »
I don't know who I dislike more, Diego Costa or Luis Suarez.

I think Suarez has lower lows, while Diego Costa is much more consistently a dick. Watching him play, I get the feeling he could start a brawl with Gandhi and Mother Teresa
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #994 on: September 19, 2015, 09:38:06 PM »
I can't believe Arsenal lost today. And yeah, Chelsea managed to win but they played aganist an easier team than the other English teams.
Sure they did, still funny. :lol

Also, Arsenal losing to Chelsea is one of the surest things in football.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #995 on: September 20, 2015, 02:24:32 AM »
Chelsea continues being the filthiest team in football. It would be easier to sympathize with a team full of murderers and child rapists than a team with Costa in it.

As for Arsenal, they have Leicester away next game and will definitely lose that one as well. (In fact Leicester is the only unbeaten team after 6 games, a slight wtf) But it's OK, Arsene Wenger didn't buy any players this summer because there's nobody out there who could improve their squad.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #996 on: September 22, 2015, 04:40:00 PM »
Lewandowski scored 5 goals against Wolfsburg in 9 minutes. Holy shit.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #997 on: September 23, 2015, 12:34:51 AM »
As much as I don't like Bayern München, that surely is amazing.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #998 on: September 23, 2015, 01:16:43 AM »
While I currently live in Germany I don't have a particular club here I'm fan of yet. From that neutral standpoint I think that is absolutely amazing. Wow.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #999 on: September 23, 2015, 07:17:10 AM »
I was watching this game live and texting my friends about it who were constantly asking "are you sure you're not playing FIFA 16?" which was released yesterday as well. :lol

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1000 on: September 23, 2015, 12:02:11 PM »
I am an old fart (48 years old). I have played/followed soccer since I was 5. I have seen the greats over the years. What Lewandowski did yesterday is..............well ...........just holy shit.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1001 on: October 03, 2015, 11:24:00 AM »
Chelsea is killing me. A shell of a team that won last year. They look like a high school team >:(

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1003 on: October 03, 2015, 03:37:56 PM »
Hoping Orlando City beats Montreal so we can make the playoffs!!! What a crazy inaugural season. Half our red cards called recalled. LOL MLS refs

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1004 on: October 04, 2015, 02:44:24 AM »
Chelsea is killing me. A shell of a team that won last year. They look like a high school team >:(

You´d think Eva Carneira put a spell on Maurinho....  ::)
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1005 on: October 05, 2015, 10:40:52 AM »

You´d think Eva Carneira put a spell on Maurinho....  ::)

Well, there are rumors that she did some extra work with the players.... Maybe they are lacking that extra motivation

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1006 on: October 05, 2015, 04:51:12 PM »
Bayern are just too strong at this point. It's of course good for international competitions (as the German team is essentially 85% Bayern), but for the Bundesliga it sucks. Eight game days in and people are already calling the season over.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1007 on: October 06, 2015, 07:32:57 AM »
Bayern are just too strong at this point. It's of course good for international competitions (as the German team is essentially 85% Bayern), but for the Bundesliga it sucks. Eight game days in and people are already calling the season over.

Well, this is becoming the norm in European football and it kinda sucks. PSG in France, Real and Barcelona in Spain, Juventus in Italy (though they had a rough start this season)
Something needs to change and soon given how the premier is getting a sh*tload of money in the upcoming years. If the rest of the leagues don't make things more interesting and get better TV deals they'll soon start losing all their best players and the leagues will become even more uneven than they are right now.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1008 on: October 06, 2015, 11:44:08 AM »
I was looking into things yesterday, and my best idea on how to fix it is to raise the minimum number of players in a roster who have been with the club for more than 5 years, from the current 8 (and that requirement is even only in international games) to maybe 15, across the board. It would force clubs to raise players, not just amass money and buy away the good ones. If you look at current Bayern, I think only Lahm, Müller and Schweinsteiger actually came through the Bayern youth program. The rest (Neuer, Götze, Lewandowski, Ribery, Robben etc etc) were simply bought from clubs who had raised them.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1009 on: October 06, 2015, 11:57:24 AM »
I agree with that, they need to promote the use of players that have been in the clubs since they were young.
But also they need to redesign how they distribute the money they get from TV deals. Look at the graph below for reference on the Spanish league, both Barcelona and Real Madrid get a lot more than the rest of the league.

And here is how the premier league does it, and if you ask me it's the right way to do it.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1010 on: October 06, 2015, 12:00:23 PM »
Yup. Bayern's team worth is 3 times that of Dortmund's according to Forbes. No matter what you do, as long as the highest bidder gets the best players, it's a self-reinforcing circle that is bound to create a monopoly.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1011 on: October 13, 2015, 07:01:27 AM »
I agree with all of that. The leagues I'm most interested in are the Premier League and the Bundesliga, but the Bundesliga is pretty boring right now because Bayern have such a huge amount of money compared to the other clubs.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #1012 on: October 13, 2015, 07:42:08 AM »
I'm still pretty much interested in the Bundesliga, because I'm german and my favorite team (1. FC Köln) is in it. But for the last few years I pretty much don't care who wins this thing.

Even Dortmund, who beat Bayern for two consecutive years, can't really compete in the long run. Bayern Munich at this point can only beat themselves and if some team comes up and is successful they buy their key players or lure them away (like Götze or Lewandowski).

Maybe all those teams that are unreachable in their own league should just play a kind of champions league against each other and not run in the national league?

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1013 on: October 14, 2015, 07:10:27 AM »
Wow, I'm amazed that The Netherlands didn't qualify to the Euro. I know they're team is not as good as it was in previous years but still, they've always managed to play good youngsters that make a good complement with the more experienced players.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1014 on: October 14, 2015, 08:52:40 AM »
A combination of bad management and a lot of injured players.