Author Topic: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)  (Read 202396 times)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Football (soccer) Thread [merged]
« Reply #665 on: February 13, 2013, 08:41:30 AM »
Come on United!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #666 on: February 13, 2013, 03:24:08 PM »
Terrific result. I'd back Utd to go through now.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #667 on: April 10, 2013, 12:24:28 PM »
Necro BUMP.

We have 2 awesome games today. And we had to awesome games yesterday, that Borussi/Malaga game had me at the edge of my seat.  :metal :metal
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #668 on: April 10, 2013, 12:27:07 PM »
Here's hoping PSG can defeat Barcelona tonight.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #669 on: April 10, 2013, 01:05:48 PM »

I'm wearing a Messi jersey at work today...

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #670 on: April 10, 2013, 07:26:15 PM »

I'm wearing a Messi jersey at work today...

You did well  :tup

:whatisthisidonteven:
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #671 on: May 08, 2013, 03:38:04 AM »
Sir Alex Ferguson announced his retirement after this season. I just want to say thanks for all the amazing years. I've been a Manchester United fan for about 16 years, and I have only experienced Manchester United under Sir Alex Ferguson.

To be honest, I'm pretty nervous about the future. There are a lot of great managers who could do great things with the club, but I feel like the presence of Sir Alex was so big and so meaningful that the team got a lot of points just because he was the manager. The solid Manchester United that could win 10 games in a row, maybe with just "1-0", but at least getting the 3 points. I have no idea what will happen now.

Offline FireForADryMouth

« Reply #672 on: May 08, 2013, 03:42:54 AM »
As a Chelsea fan I'm really worried now that José Mourinho will now be highly considering the United job if it is offered rather than Chelsea.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #673 on: May 08, 2013, 03:48:07 AM »
You never know in football. I don't think Man United will go for Mourinho though. I love Mourinho, and I think he is one of the best, but he has a tendency to get tired of his clubs after 2 years. I think Man United will try to go for a more "solid" manager. By that I mean someone who is really there 100% and won't start thinking about leaving after a few years.

My money is on Moyes or Klopp.

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #674 on: May 08, 2013, 04:26:18 AM »
You never know in football. I don't think Man United will go for Mourinho though. I love Mourinho, and I think he is one of the best, but he has a tendency to get tired of his clubs after 2 years. I think Man United will try to go for a more "solid" manager. By that I mean someone who is really there 100% and won't start thinking about leaving after a few years.

My money is on Moyes or Klopp.
Klopp is not going anywhere until '16.
I seriously believe Mourinho might join United. He was very PC after their knockout game in Old Traffrord. I can totally see him join United.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #675 on: May 08, 2013, 04:32:14 AM »
"Manchester United will appoint their new manager within the next 48 hours!" (Sky Sports)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #676 on: May 08, 2013, 04:44:55 AM »
It feels like it will be Moyes. Ferguson has been friends with him for quite a while, he has done a fantastic job at Everton, he's also British and his contract at Everton ends this summer, so he won't cost that much to get.

I feel like Mourinho to Chelsea has been a done deal for a couple of months now. Benitez even went out and said "there will be a new manager here next season, and you all know who", and I doubt that is something you would say if they had a completely different manager in mind, when all the talks have been about Mourinho joining Chelsea.

Apart from Moyes, Solskjær is also a possibility, but even though he's a Man United-guy, I doubt it since he has only done great in the Norwegian league.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #677 on: May 08, 2013, 04:55:18 AM »
I think it will be Moyes.

This is truly the end of an era at Manchester United and in English football. Ferguson's teams in the 1990s and early 2000s defined my childhood. Football will never be the same.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #678 on: May 09, 2013, 05:49:49 AM »
Aaaand it's the end of the dynasty of ManU, I guess.

But they'll still play better than Liverpool next season.  :P But if Moyes leaves, maybe we'll be able to beat Everton.

Times have changed. The championship was so close in 2008-2009, now we can't even qualify for European Cup  :P :P :P.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #679 on: May 09, 2013, 09:52:46 AM »
Moyes confirmed for 6 years. I'm excited. :)

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #680 on: May 09, 2013, 06:54:33 PM »
Moyes confirmed for 6 years. I'm excited. :)
I'm not. He hasn't won anything.
He hasn't played in the Champions league, or knows what it is to get a point outside home in a difficult ground. And I also do not like the way he plays.
I hope he proves me wrong tho.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #681 on: May 10, 2013, 02:09:12 AM »
He's turned Everton into a solid top-half team with basically no money or prestige. I think that's damn impressive.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #682 on: May 10, 2013, 03:29:57 AM »
He's turned Everton into a solid top-half team with basically no money or prestige. I think that's damn impressive.
I know that, but he is really green in European competitons.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #683 on: May 10, 2013, 03:34:46 AM »
I haven't really followed Everton through the years, so I don't know his philosophy or tactical preferences.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #684 on: May 10, 2013, 10:43:34 AM »

This. He actually might get something great (bad for me) done with better resources.

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #685 on: May 11, 2013, 12:44:06 PM »

This. He actually might get something great (bad for me) done with better resources.
Really defensive. Even when he has a team that could easily play with an offensive mind-set.
I'm not a big fan. He is more into "Just getting a result" instead of getting a result while playing good football.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #686 on: May 11, 2013, 03:14:56 PM »
Well, that's not too different from what Man United has been doing for the last years. I'll admit it, Man United has played amazing football from time to time, but in the long term, many games have been about establishing control and getting a lead with 1 or 2 goals. After that it's pretty much just getting the time to tick away, not by defending insanely or anything, but not really bothered too much about attacking either. So on that front I don't think Moyes is too different from Ferguson, and it's not like Man United are playing football like Barcelona, as in still putting 95% into attacking even when they are ahead.

As for Moyes not winning any trophies, I don't think that is something you can hold against him. He hasn't had the resources and he has been stuck with a paper thin squad for a long time. When he came to Everton, they were almost equal to a club like Wigan for example. No big resources, a fairly thin squad and he took that and turned it into a club that would go on and finish in the top8 almost every year for a decade. He even took Everton to Champions League where they were defeated just barely by Villareal who would later go on to have a very successful year. So I don't think anyone can hold that over his head. As for not winning any trophies, that part is not just about skill but also very based on luck. Everton made it to an FA-Cup Final and had to meet the champions, Chelsea. While another club like Portsmouth who won it, had their game against Coventry. So there is a lot of luck in winning a cup trophy as well.

In the end, Moyes has the attributes that are the most important ones that Ferguson had. Integrity and being a very solid manager. He stuck with Everton for over a decade despite the fact that he could have left them earlier. He's used to making great transfers without too much money, and while Man United is one of the richest teams, they aren't Man City or Chelsea for example. He seems excellent at motivating his players and getting 100% out of them. His accomplishments with Everton are amazing, and in the end he is a much better suited manager for Man United than someone like José Mourinho for example.

With all this said, Man United might still have a tough season next year. But I feel like that would have been the case even if Ferguson had stayed for another year. City will make some new transfers due to not winning anything this year, Chelsea will get José Mourinho (most likely) and he will want to buy some players as well, specifically a striker who can score. Arsenal will finally have to spend money in order to keep up, and you have clubs like Liverpool and Tottenham, both will continue to improve under their managers. So the competition is bigger and tougher than ever, and even if we don't win Premier League next season, that won't necessarily be Moyes´ fault.

IN MOYES WE TRUST.  :tup

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #687 on: May 11, 2013, 03:43:38 PM »
My only real grudge against him is the lack of experience against big teams and UEFA competitions.
I really hope he does good for the sake of the team.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #688 on: May 11, 2013, 03:47:05 PM »
I can understand that. On the other hand, Man United have done just horribly in Champions League lately. Okay, going out against Real in the way they did it was bad luck, but it was early in Champions League. And the year before, they didn't make it out of the group stage. So, in that way Moyes comes into the club at the perfect time. As long as he gets the team through the groupstage and maybe goes through another round, he has already done better than the previous two seasons. ;)

Obviously we will hope for something more, a final or a trophy, but still.  :metal

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #689 on: August 17, 2013, 02:12:39 AM »
I'm beyond words excited for Premier League starting again. I wish I could say the same about Man United, but the summer has been a disappointment in terms of transfers, and I think we'll end up third at best in the table. Still, really excited and happy to see PL again. :) The games, and how I think they will end:

Saturday:
Liverpool - Stoke (1)
Arsenal - Aston Villa (1)
Norwich - Everton (X)
Sunderland - Fulham (X)
West Brom - Southampton (2)
West Ham - Cardiff (1)
Swansea - Man United (1)

Sunday:
Crystal Palace - Tottenham (2)
Chelsea - Hull (1)

Monday:
Man City - Newcastle (1)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #690 on: August 17, 2013, 03:22:06 AM »
Any Serie A fan here? :D
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline FireForADryMouth

« Reply #691 on: August 17, 2013, 05:21:01 AM »
So excited for today and tomorrow. Looking forward to Villa vs. Arsenal today and Chelsea vs. Hull tomorrow.

My predictions are:

1. Chelsea
2. City
3. United
4. Arsenal

With Hull, Southampton and Cardiff dropping.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #692 on: August 17, 2013, 05:26:37 AM »
Really excited about Premier League finally starting again. I have a very uncertain feeling about my Man United this year without Sir Alex. A lot depends on if they can keep Rooney or not.

Online RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #693 on: August 17, 2013, 02:00:23 PM »
Swansea will be known as the team who were there for Manchester United's pivotal moments. We were the opposition for Fergie's last home game, and the trophy presentation, and the opposition for Moyes' first league game.

Glad to have got it out of the way though. Hopefully it's just a blip.

This is definitely the most intriguing PL season for a long long time, perhaps ever. Hopefully it lives up to the hype. I'm going to go for Chelsea to win the title.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #694 on: August 17, 2013, 02:48:37 PM »
FOOTBALL'S BACK, BITCHES

I support Arsenal in the PL and I don't know what to say about today's match or the preseason. Everything has been completely stale.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #695 on: August 17, 2013, 03:19:21 PM »
What happened to Giggs? I turned away for a second and down he went.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #696 on: August 17, 2013, 05:15:54 PM »
I missed the late game due to a concert, but can't believe we won with 4-1. Incredible. Zydar, did you watch the game? If so, how was it?

Arsenal were just awful earlier. They need to get a new board and manager asap. I'm not even an Arsenal-fan but I get offended when Wenger does his stupid clichés about how "we only buy the right players" when clearly, EVERYONE would be the right player, and give the team something more than they already have. Their squad is paper thin, they lack big star names, and I hate to say it, but I don't see them getting a CL-spot this season. Man City, Chelsea, Man United and Spurs all look stronger.

On another note, great to see Liverpool win their game. It might sound weird coming from a Man United supporter, but I appreciate the kind of football they try to play, and Rodgers has a philosophy I can get behind. They have an interesting team and they play attacking football, so I'm glad they could get 3 points. Especially against Stoke, send them down to Championship right now.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #697 on: August 18, 2013, 03:30:48 AM »
I missed the late game due to a concert, but can't believe we won with 4-1. Incredible. Zydar, did you watch the game? If so, how was it?

I only managed to see the first 30 minutes, but I liked what I saw. Van Persie opened his season with two goals right away, and it's great to have Welbeck finding the net again.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #698 on: August 20, 2013, 07:33:28 AM »
Any Serie A fan here? :D

I watch the occasional game. Italian football is not my favorite but there are some teams that are interesting to watch, specially Juventus
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #699 on: August 21, 2013, 08:47:38 AM »
A little late, but thank you to Manchester City for scoring 4 goals on Monday, and taking Swansea off the bottom of the table. :D