Author Topic: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)  (Read 203413 times)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Football (soccer) Thread [merged]
« Reply #595 on: June 05, 2012, 04:49:21 AM »
Yeah I just read that. I don't know anything about him, but I'm still excited about this.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #596 on: June 05, 2012, 04:59:26 AM »
He's really good. I've followed Dortmund quite a bit this season, and getting a creative and offensive midfielder is just what we need IMO. Also a nice replacement for Scholes.
I would say that Kagawa was Dortmund's best player last season. Götze had some injuries, otherwise Lewandowski and Hummels were great as always, but Kagawa really shined.

Also, Kagawa's statistics for the last season in Dortmund:
Games: 45 Goals: 21 Assists: 10

Quite nice for a midfielder.  :) It's interesting because I saw a comparison with Hazard, and Kagawa has actually done more goals/assists I believe overall, so getting Kagawa cheaper is a nice deal.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #597 on: June 05, 2012, 08:41:01 AM »
First time I've heard of that guy. Not sure it that's the kind of player MU needs right now but I hope he helps improve the team.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #598 on: June 05, 2012, 08:55:23 AM »
First time I've heard of that guy. Not sure it that's the kind of player MU needs right now but I hope he helps improve the team.

A quality-player is always needed, even in a team like Man United. Besides, he's better then all of our central midfielders so it's a nice addition to the squad. :)

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #599 on: June 05, 2012, 12:02:11 PM »
Well the Euro starts this Friday so here are my predictions on who will advance in the groups.

Group A- Greece, Russia, Czech Republic, Poland
Group B- Germany, Netherlands, Portugal, Denmark
Group C- Spain, Italy, Croatia, Ireland
Group D- France, England, Sweden, Ukraine

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #600 on: June 05, 2012, 12:09:09 PM »
Okay, here's my prediction:

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #601 on: June 05, 2012, 12:33:38 PM »

Offline Ruba

« Reply #602 on: June 06, 2012, 01:12:05 AM »

Every team in group B is better than any team in group B.

Italy will fail again. They have failed two times in a row and the last World Championships. Though they may not play in EC at all.

Seriously Nekov? (I understand Zantera, because he's a Swede.) France hasn't lost an international game in long time, they have at least drew their last 21 matches.

I don't like France, but still.

Spain wins. Germany takes the silver medals.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #603 on: June 06, 2012, 01:17:52 AM »
Personally I think both France and England falls under the "have good teams but havent shown it", but if anything I'd say that England has a higher chance of going out than France. Honestly I think the group feels very open, let's not forget that Ukraine is one of the hosts so they might take some points as well.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #604 on: June 06, 2012, 06:28:01 AM »
Well, to be honest I haven't been following France lately and I still have the pathetic image they left during the world cup. I take Sweden over them because they are in transition right now with a lot of younger guys and I'm not sure they will be able to deal with the pressure this kind of tournament has.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #605 on: June 06, 2012, 09:22:19 AM »
Should be very interesting and some unexpected things could happen.

Its always an advantage when you are the host so Ukraine and Poland could have a big chance to get through too.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #606 on: June 12, 2012, 10:35:48 AM »
Greece plays soccer like they pay taxes.

good grief....why not just forfeit....there's no bailout coming here.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #607 on: June 12, 2012, 11:29:37 AM »
Every team in group B is better than any team in group B.

Mind=Blown
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #608 on: June 29, 2012, 11:45:20 AM »
So, Man United and Barcelona are meeting each other in a friendly game right here in Gothenburg in August.
I want to go so badly that I'd be willing to sell a kidney for a ticket, but they are a bit expensive. I'm hoping for a miracle that I'll win money this weekend on football-games, and that I'll be able to afford them.  :lol

Man, I would die inside if I missed the chance to see my favorite team, right here in my backyard.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #609 on: June 29, 2012, 12:54:02 PM »
Your favourite team but also your most hated team. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #610 on: June 29, 2012, 12:55:55 PM »
Yeah but that makes it even more interesting.  :millahhhh

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #611 on: July 02, 2012, 02:51:09 AM »
I JUST FIXED TICKETS! I'M SEEING MAN UNITED IN A MONTH! :caffeine: :caffeine:

Offline John94

« Reply #612 on: August 17, 2012, 09:57:48 AM »
Bump for the new season (Premier League) tomorrow.

Hope we (Liverpool) get off to a good start and win our first game against West Brom. I can see us either winning 3/4-0 or getting beat 1-0.

Transfer wise, Van Persie to Man Utd is a shocker for me!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #613 on: August 17, 2012, 10:13:57 AM »
I'm really looking forward to the Premier League start tomorrow. As a United fan I'm really excited and happy about the Van Persie transfer. That's one major step up towards winning the league title. But I think City will be even tougher this season, although they are the favourites now - that can be a burden.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #614 on: August 17, 2012, 04:00:45 PM »
Been meaning to post here for a while about some transfers, the situation before the league starts pretty much. Waited until now because transfers happen, and 3 days ago RVP was still in Arsenal for example, so things change fast.
I can't describe enough how excited I am for tomorrow, seeing both Arsenal - Sunderland, and afterwards Newcastle - Tottenham. Also seeing both games on Sunday and Man United on Monday.
Anyhow, I thought I would share some of the transfer-situation regarding the BIG clubs. The clubs that will most likely have something to say in the table this year. Some people might have missed transfers, so this way it gets summed up quite nicely. Starting alphabetically:

*Arsenal
In: Olivier Giroud (Montpellier), Lukas Podolski (Köln), Santi Cazorla (Malaga)
Out: Robin Van Persie (Man United), Alex Song (Barcelona, not 100% confirmed, but likely), Denilson (Sao Paolo), Joel Campbell (Betis), Manuel Almunia (Watford), Carlos Vela (Real Sociedad), Gavin Hoyte (Dag & Red)

*Chelsea
In: Eden Hazard (Lille), Oscar (Internacional), Marko Marin (Werder Bremen), Thorgan Hazard (Lens)
Out: Didier Drogba (Shanghai Shenhua) Jacob Mellis (Barnsley), Salomon Kalou (Lille), Jose Bosingwa (Queens Park Rangers), Ulises Davila (Sabadell, loan), Milan Lakovic (Guimaraes, loan), Matej Delac (Guimaraes, loan), Kevin De Bruyne (Werder Bremen, loan), Romalu Lukaku (West Brom, loan)

*Liverpool
In: Fabio Borini (Roma), Joe Allen (Swansea), Oussama Assaidi (Herenveen), Brendan Rodgers (new manager, Swansea)
Out: Dirk Kuyt (Fenerbache), Fabio Aurelio (Gremio), David Amoo (Preston North End), Stephen Darby (Bradford), Maxi Rodriguez (Newell's Old Boys), Alberto Aquilani (Fiorentina), Craig Bellamy (Cardiff)

*Manchester City
In: Jack Rodwell (Everton)
Out: Owen Hargreaves, Stuart Taylor, Vladimir Weiss (Pescara), Mohammed Abu (Rayo Vallecano, loan), Wayne Bridge (Brighton)

*Manchester United
In: Shinji Kagawa (Dortmund), Robin Van Persie (Arsenal), Nick Powell (Crewe), Angelo Hernandez (Universidad)
Out: Fabio (Queens Park Rangers, loan), Tomasz Kuszczak (Brighton), Richie De Laet (Leicester), Matty James (Leicester) Michael Owen, Park Ji-Sung (Queens Park Rangers), Ezekiel Fryers, Paul Pogba (Juventus), Ben Amos (Hull, loan)

*Tottenham
In: Gylfi Sigurdsson (Hoffenheim), Jan Vertonghen (Ajax), André Villas-Boas (new manager, Chelsea)
Out: Vedran Corluka (Lokomotiv Moscow), Niko Kranjcar (Dynamo Kiev), Ryan Nelsen (Queens Park Rangers), Louis Saha (Sunderland), Ben Alnwick, Oscar Jansson (Shamrock Rovers), Steven Pienaar (Everton), Ledley King (retires), Bongani Khumalo (PAOK, loan), Luka Modric (Real Madrid)

Those 6 teams will most likely be the big ones to watch out for. I could have done this for all teams, but I don't think anyone is interested enough, and the post would be even longer.  :lol
I'll also predict how I think the table will look after the season:

1. Man United
2. Arsenal
3. Man City
4. Chelsea
5. Liverpool
6. Tottenham
7. Newcastle
8. Everton
9. Fulham
10. Aston Villa
11. Sunderland
12. West Bromwich
13. Norwitch
14. Southampton
15. Swansea
16. Stoke
17. Wigan
18. West Ham
19. Queens Park Rangers
20. Reading

Some comments:
I'm really interested in seeing Arsenal this season. Fantastic additions in Giroud, Podolski and Cazorla (the latter possibly the best transfer in PL this summer), and while RVP is leaving, I don't think he will be as missed as you would expect. Wilshere will also be coming back, he also got the nr10 jersey, and Vermaelen is a new captain.
Man United has done some great transfers. Kagawa and Powell has me very excited. RVP is another deal. I really didn't want Man U to buy him, because the price was high, he is getting older, injuries and no matter what he does, he will still be an Arsenal player in my eyes. Still, a partnership with Rooney might be amazing.
Liverpool and Tottenham have new managers, who I feel will be good additions to both teams. Both will be interesting to follow, though Spurs needs to buy strikers.

Regarding the parts of the table that aren't related to the very top, I'm very interested in seeing Aston Villa under Paul Lambert. Last season they were almost relegated due to having a shitty manager, but this new manager plus some new players looks promising. I think they can get a top 10 spot. It will also be interesting to see how Newcastle will follow up their previous successful season, not that many transfers, but they've kept most of their squad, so it looks good.

I've also taken out my fantasy squad here: https://puu.sh/WiGV
I'm pretty happy with it.  :P

Oh well, that's it for now. But I'm gonna keep coming back with big ass posts, because PL is such a huge interest for me. I try to watch at least 4-5 games per week.

Offline John94

« Reply #615 on: August 18, 2012, 05:59:56 AM »
Here is my fantasy team.  https://i46.tinypic.com/22ypkx.png

1. Man City
2. Man Utd
3. Chelsea
4. Liverpool
5. Arsenal
6. Tottenham
7. Everton
8. Fulham
9. Newcastle
10. Sunderland
11. QPR
12. Aston Villa
13. West Ham
14. Swansea
15. West Brom
16. Stoke
17. Wigan
18. Norwich
19. Southampton
20. Reading

Offline jag66

« Reply #616 on: August 18, 2012, 06:43:20 AM »
I have a feeling Man City will win again with Man U close behind. Haven't missed the premier league as there's been so much other sport on, but now it's back i'm glad!

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #617 on: August 19, 2012, 07:24:44 AM »
Chelsea: offense for the first 6, defense for the last 84 apparently.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #618 on: August 25, 2012, 02:36:36 AM »
Finally it's time for the second week of Premier League. For those who missed it, Chelsea played an extra game against Reading during the week (Chelsea won 4-2), this because Chelsea has the European cup-game against Athletico Madrid next weekend.
Anyhow, the games this weekend: (I'll do what I did last year, games in bold are the ones I'm going to see myself, the 1, X or 2 after the game is my thought about the outcome. 1 means homewin, X means a draw and 2 means the away team wins) :P
Also, times are British.

Today (Saturday):

[12:45] Swansea - West Ham (1) 
[15:00] Manchester United - Fulham (1)
[15:00] Aston Villa - Everton (X)
[15:00] Norwich - Queens Park Rangers (1)   
[15:00] Southampton - Wigan (1)
[15:00] Sunderland - Reading (1)
[15:00] Tottenham - West Bromwich (X)
[17:30] Chelsea - Newcastle (1)

Tomorrow (Sunday):

[13:30] Stoke - Arsenal (2)
[16:30] Liverpool - Manchester City (X)

Some thoughts about the games this weekend:

Swansea and Fulham both came out of amazing games last weekend when both teams won with 5-0. (Swansea did it against QPR, Fulham against Norwich) And I think both teams will be interesting to see now. Swansea plays at home against West Ham, another newcomer, and I think Swansea has a very good opportunity here. I would put some money on them for sure. Fulham on the other side has a tricky game away against Man United. While I am a fan of Man United, there is a lot of injuries in the defense, and it's not at all impossible for Fulham to get away with a point today, especially not if their offense is as great as in the last game.
Everton did a great job of defeating Man United last weekend, today they have Aston Villa away, a team that wants to win after dropping points in the first game. I predict a tight game that could end just about every way possible, but I'm feeling a draw.
Norwich - QPR is pretty much the battle of the losers. Both teams lost the first week with 5-0, and didn't really do anything right at all. This time both wants points badly, and like the Villa - Everton game, I think this could go either way.
Southampton - Wigan is another interesting game. Two teams that want to play a nice attacking football, but lacks a good defense. This could turn out to be the goal-fest, and I think both teams has the chance to win it.
Sunderland faces Reading. Tricky game, but Sunderland did a good job of defending against Arsenal last weekend, and they do have more experience of playing in the league.

Tottenham takes on West Bromwich in what looks to be another very tough game this weekend. Tottenham lost last weekend against Newcastle (result was 2-1), and while Tottenham played very good, they didn't get anything for it. West Brom on the other hand defeated Liverpool with 3-0, a very impressive victory. While on one hand, Tottenham is going for their first points, I feel like West Brom might be one tough cookie.
In the late game today, Chelsea takes on Newcastle. What a lovely game. Newcastle has shown us by now that they can take on the big teams, and Chelsea did show some mistakes in the defense against Reading. Hazard is on fire though, so far in the two games for Chelsea he has given them two penalties (both were correct) and he has already done 3 goal-assists, so I feel pretty lucky that I picked him in my fantasy team.  :lol Either way, I think he might score his first goal tonight. If not, we'll still probably see some magic. I predict a tight game, but my feeling is that Chelsea takes it.

Two interesting games tomorrow. Stoke - Arsenal has been one of Arsenal's harder games over the last seasons, mostly because Stoke play very physical and rough, compared to Arsenal's more modern way of attacking. While a draw feels most logical here, I'm going to go with Arsenal. They didn't look as bad as people say against Sunderland, and Cazorla, Podolski and Giroud are all great additions to the team. Who will score? That's the question.
Liverpool - City is probably the BIG game of the weekend. While City are favorites, they haven't won on Anfield for quite a while now, and Liverpool are very strong at home. I'd say either a draw or a win for Pool, but City might prove me wrong. A very open game.

So yeah, just some thoughts. :)

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #619 on: August 25, 2012, 02:57:34 PM »
Well, Hazard did get his first.

Offline John94

« Reply #620 on: August 27, 2012, 06:28:56 AM »
I can't help but feel disappointed after the Man City game. A simple clearance would've prevented their second goal but no.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #621 on: August 28, 2012, 09:39:13 AM »
So, I just read that Nicolas Bertolo from Palermo received a fine of 2000 Euros for diving in the area during the match against Napoli. Do you think the different leagues around the world should start doing this? What possible problems do you see? I think this could help the sport to get rid of lots of simulations

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #622 on: August 28, 2012, 10:26:11 AM »
To be honest I would love seeing more penalties regarding diving, if that's a fine or more cards, that doesn't matter that much. Right now the sport is rewarding cheaters, since diving often results in cards on the other player or a penalty, so I really think they should stop it.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #623 on: August 30, 2012, 10:56:46 AM »
Champions groups have been drawn. Group D will be very interesting

GROUP A

Porto
Dinamo de Kiev
PSG
Dinamo Zagreb

GROUP B

Arsenal
Schalke 04
Olympiakos
Montpellier

GROUP C

Milan
Zenit de Rusia
Anderlecht de Bélgica
Málaga

GROUP D

Real Madrid
Manchester City
Ajax
Borussia Dortmund

GROUP E

Chelsea
Shakhtar
Juventus
Nordsjælland

GROUP F

Bayern Munich
Valencia
Lille de Francia
Bate Borisov de Bielorrusia

GROUP G

Barcelona
Benfica de Portugal
Spartak de Mouscú
Celtic de Escocia

GROUP H

Manchester United
Sporting Braga de Portugal
Galatasaray de Turquía
Cluj de Rumania

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #624 on: August 30, 2012, 11:00:07 AM »
Pretty happy with Manchester United's group. Group D looks tough.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #625 on: August 30, 2012, 11:06:15 AM »
While we are at it, predictions:

A: Porto - PSG
B: Arsenal - Schalke 04
C: Milan - Malaga
D: Real Madrid (I really hope they don't but I'm being realistic) - Manchester City
E: Chelsea - Juventus
F: Bayern Munich - Valencia
G: Barcelona - Benfica
H: Manchester Utd - Galatasaray

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #626 on: August 31, 2012, 04:50:04 PM »
Some interesting transfers done on deadline-day, I'm too tired to go through them all, but here are some of the bigger ones:

*Dimitar Berbatov - Fulham (from Man United)
*Hugo Lloris - Tottenham (from Lyon)
*Clint Dempsey - Tottenham (from Fulham)
*Michael Essien - Real Madrid (from Chelsea, on loan)
*Scott Sinclair - Man City (from Swansea)
*Maicon - Man City (from Inter)
*Andy Carroll - West Ham (from Liverpool, on loan)

There's more at: https://www1.skysports.com/transfer-centre/clockwatch

Anyhow, I'm going to be out tomorrow most of the morning/day (won't get home until the 15:00 games start), but here are the games in Premier League this weekend: (result afterwards is my prediction of the outcome, games in bold are the ones I'm seeing myself)

Saturday:

[12:45] West Ham - Fulham (2)
[15:00] Swansea - Sunderland (1)
[15:00] Tottenham - Norwich (1)
[15:00] West Bromwich - Everton (X)
[15:00] Wigan - Stoke (1)
[17:30] Manchester City - Queens Park Rangers (1)

Sunday:

[13:30] Liverpool - Arsenal (X)
[17:00] Newcastle - Aston Villa (1)
[17:00] Southampton - Manchester United (2)

Comments:

Really interested in seeing some new players this weekend. Sahin should be able to debut for Liverpool against Arsenal (probably the biggest highlight of the weekend, despite Man United also playing afterwards), a game that will be interesting. Liverpool looked fantastic against Man City and should have gotten 3 points. Arsenal haven't scored a single goal yet (but on the other hand two clean sheets), so if they loose this game and don't score any goals, people will start asking what the fuck is up, and why they didn't buy any more players.
Will also be interesting seeing Man United (hopefully 3 points), Tottenham with some new players, and to see if Swansea can keep doing well.

If anyone wonders why Chelsea and Reading aren't playing, they had their game last week, because Chelsea had the supercup-game against Athletico Madrid tonight. (Chelsea lost by 4-1)

Also, regarding Arsenal's transfer-situation. They've actually gone plus this year again, which is really crazy. I know a lot of people question Wenger, but as far as I'm concerned, people should be questioning the board instead. If Wenger could, he would bring on players to really improve the game, but the board is more interested in seeing the team go well financially, than to spend any money. It's a shame.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #627 on: September 03, 2012, 02:14:58 AM »
So van Persie scored three for Man U. Nice, only wish he'd do that in the Dutch team sometime. But hey. 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline jag66

« Reply #628 on: September 03, 2012, 03:00:55 AM »
So van Persie scored three for Man U. Nice, only wish he'd do that in the Dutch team sometime. But hey.

Good job he did cos he would have been flamed for that penalty miss otherwise..

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #629 on: September 15, 2012, 02:05:22 AM »
So finally, time for football again. Last weekend was all about international games (which I have really no interest in), so it's great to have the real football back again. :D
The games in Premier League this weekend: (in bold are the ones I'm seeing, number after is my guess at the result)

Today:

[12:45] Norwich - West Ham (X)
[15:00] Arsenal - Southampton (1)
[15:00] Aston Villa - Swansea (X)
[15:00] Fulham - West Bromwich (X)
[15:00] Man United - Wigan (1)
[15:00] Queens Park Rangers - Chelsea (2)
[15:00] Stoke - Man City (X)
[17:30] Sunderland - Liverpool (2)

Tomorrow:

[16:00] Reading - Tottenham (2)

Monday:

[20:00] Everton - Newcastle (1)

Thoughts:
Should be a good weekend. A bit sad over the fact that almost all of the top-teams go out at 15:00 today, would have loved it if Man United or Arsenal for example had their game early tomorrow (normally there's 2 on Sundays), but I'll live I guess. If anyone wonders why I'm seeing Chelsea over my team (Man United), it's because that's the game they're showing on TV here, so I have to settle with it.  ;)
Sunderland - Pool sounds like an interesting game as well.

Also, I thought I would mention that you should probably prepare for an epic day next Sunday. First we have the classic game between Liverpool and Man United, and after that there is Manchester City against Arsenal. If there's one Sunday where you bunk up with chips, beer and whatever, it's next Sunday. :)