Author Topic: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)  (Read 202368 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: The Official Football (soccer) Thread [merged]
« Reply #560 on: May 13, 2012, 10:56:42 AM »
Good god, what an absolutely epic day of football!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #561 on: May 13, 2012, 10:57:51 AM »
My United heart bleeds right now, but damn what an exciting game that was!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #562 on: May 13, 2012, 11:05:01 AM »
United 0 trophies this season.

Pool 1 trophy this season.

FUCK YEAH!

Though I don't like City anymore, anything is better than ManU. Also Chelsea is not in top 5!  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D.

Go Magpies and Spurs!

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #563 on: May 13, 2012, 11:18:46 AM »
Christ what a comeback, City.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #564 on: May 13, 2012, 12:25:03 PM »
Interesting day for football. I feel both happy and sad, for many different reasons. To sum up this day, and this season, here are some thoughts:

It might sound odd, but I'm happy with Man United's season, even though we didn't win. Lots of difficult injuries this season, Vidic has been away for all of it, Fletcher had to take a time out due to his problems. A whole new defense, De Gea is really growing with each game for me, and I think the summer-break will benefit him since he can adapt more to England, learn more English and have a proper pre-season with Man United. We've also had to play a lot with Jones and Smalling, who are both great and promising, but not "world class" yet, so I'm glad they have gotten so many games, because they have grown as players. I'm excited about signings for the next season, Kagawa is one rumour that I am very excited about, he has the creative qualities that I would really like to see in the team, and lets face it - Scholes and Giggs can't play forever. ;)
I also feel like the season wasn't decided by the games today, Man United shouldn't have lost against Wigan, or dropped points against Everton, or getting beaten twice by City this season.

Biggest surprises this year - Newcastle and Swansea. They have both played really nice football and surprised most of the viewers, and they placed higher then most people expected them to. On the contrary, Aston Villa was a major disappointment for me, and I really wanted to see them go down. McLeish is one of my least favorite managers in the league, he has very little identity with the football he wants to play, and to me he feels like a "lets grab one point instead of three"-kind of manager, and it's sad to see what he has done to Aston Villa, a team that just a few seasons ago could snatch points from even the best teams in the league.

Otherwise I would just like to congratulate Man City on the win, and Arsenal for taking the third spot. Very interesting game next week between Bayern Munich and Chelsea, I think the Tottenham-fans will be very nervous about the game.
Apart from that game I'm just looking forward to a great silly season, I'll most likely post regularly in this thread during the summer about signings here and there, and if Man United would just buy Hazard and Kagawa, I would be really happy.  :)
Also looking forward to another big tournament this summer - Euro 2012. Tough group for Sweden with France, England and Ukraine, but I think we can make it. Both England and France have shown tendencies to shake a bit, hopefully we can take advantage from that.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #565 on: May 13, 2012, 03:01:01 PM »
Very interesting game next week between Bayern Munich and Chelsea, I think the Tottenham-fans will be very nervous about the game.
I only realised how that result will affect whether 4th place gets Champions League next year, so I'm so relieved that Arsenal managed to get third!

Needless to say, I'll be supporting Chelsea in the final. :biggrin:

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline jag66

« Reply #566 on: May 13, 2012, 04:10:27 PM »

Don't forget the charity shield!  :laugh:

What a day.. amazing stuff, fitting end to the best premier league season I can remember.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #567 on: May 14, 2012, 04:42:02 AM »
Very interesting game next week between Bayern Munich and Chelsea, I think the Tottenham-fans will be very nervous about the game.
I only realised how that result will affect whether 4th place gets Champions League next year, so I'm so relieved that Arsenal managed to get third!

Needless to say, I'll be supporting Chelsea in the final. :biggrin:

If I'm not mistaken it does affect them though (if Chelsea wins Arsenal will have to play the play-off round to get into the group stage).

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #568 on: May 14, 2012, 07:18:23 AM »
Nah. From what I understand, if Chelsea wins, they get Tottenham's fourth spot, but they are also direct qualified to the tournament. Neither Arsenal or Chelsea will have to qualify. I'm not 100% sure, but I think they re-arrange the tournament slightly so that another team (that would have faced the fourth best English team) gets a direct ticket as well.

Also, today the Swedish coach, Erik Hamrén will announce the Swedish squad for Euro 2012. I'm excited about it, here's how I hope the starting line-up will look:

Guidetti
   Kacaniklic - Ibrahimovic - Larsson
                  Källström - Elm
M. Olsson - J. Olsson - Mellberg - Lustig
                        Isaksson

I would love to see that. Kacaniklic is a bit of an outsider, but he has done it really well in the games for Fulham that I've seen. He's fast and promising, and I don't think we have many good options on the left side. Bajrami has been on the bench a lot this season, and as much as I like Hysén, I don't think players from Allsvenskan (the Swedish league) should be in the starting squad. If Elmander comes back from his injury - good, but I still want to see what Guidetti can do. Some solid backups in Toivonen, Wernbloom and Bajrami.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #569 on: May 14, 2012, 10:45:36 AM »
Guidetti fan eh? Only took this guy three weeks to get masssively popular with the Feyenoord fans. He´s legendary now.  ;D
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #570 on: May 14, 2012, 10:47:43 AM »
Guidetti wasn't in the squad. :( I imagine it's because of his injury and that he wont be able to get well in time. Otherwise it's outrageous to pick Hysén over Guidetti.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #571 on: May 14, 2012, 11:03:41 AM »
Yeah I was confused why Guidetti wasn't in the squad, but then Hamrén said it was because of his injury. Fair enough. I would have loved to seen him in the European Championships.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #572 on: May 14, 2012, 11:40:05 AM »
You guys didn´t know about his injury? He has a nerve-injury, that´s why he didn´t play the last three matches with Feyenoord.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #573 on: May 14, 2012, 11:47:56 AM »
I did know about the injury, but not that it was so bad. I feel bad for him, and I do think Sweden would have a better team with him. :(

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #574 on: May 14, 2012, 11:49:30 AM »
Yeah I knew about the injury too, but the reports said he would be okay for the Championships. Apparently not :(

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #575 on: May 14, 2012, 12:07:01 PM »
Nah. From what I understand, if Chelsea wins, they get Tottenham's fourth spot, but they are also direct qualified to the tournament. Neither Arsenal or Chelsea will have to qualify. I'm not 100% sure, but I think they re-arrange the tournament slightly so that another team (that would have faced the fourth best English team) gets a direct ticket as well.

You're right:

The following changes to the default allocation system above will be made depending on the result of the 2012 UEFA Champions League Final:

If Bayern Munich win
Anderlecht (the Belgian champion) are promoted from the third qualifying round to the group stage.
Basel (the Swiss champion) are promoted from the second qualifying round to the third qualifying round.
Valletta (the Maltese champion) and Linfield (champion of Northern Ireland) are promoted from the first qualifying round to the second qualifying round.
If Chelsea win
Because of the restriction that no association can have more than four teams playing in the Champions League, Tottenham Hotspur (the fourth-placed team of the 2011–12 Premier League), which would have entered in the 2012–13 Champions League play-off round, will be moved to the 2012–13 UEFA Europa League. Moreover, Braga (as the third-placed team from Portugal) and Spartak Moscow (runners-up from Russia) are promoted from the third qualifying round to the play-off round.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #576 on: May 15, 2012, 11:37:45 AM »
Awesome weekend for football.
City's comeback was exciting and the finals of my County's league were just as exciting.

I love football.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #577 on: May 19, 2012, 03:37:29 PM »
CHELSEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #578 on: May 19, 2012, 04:06:27 PM »
FUCK YEAH

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #579 on: May 19, 2012, 04:23:11 PM »
Wow. What a match.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #580 on: May 19, 2012, 04:33:52 PM »
Overall the game was I thought not all that exciting. Bayern played better overall, but they just couldn't get it in. I loved how they had Neuer deliver one of the penalty kicks :lol

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #581 on: May 19, 2012, 04:38:48 PM »
Yeah I agree, it didn't really get good till about 70 mins. After that, it was European football at its best, so tense.

And so happy an English team has finally beaten the Germans in a penalty shootout!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #582 on: May 19, 2012, 04:42:16 PM »
Haha yeah, probably a lot of people sat in English homes thinking "Aww great, penalty shots against Germany again." :lol

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #583 on: May 19, 2012, 04:48:59 PM »
I'm almost certain we'll now lose to Germany in the Euros, on penalties. It'll definitely come back to haunt us. Gareth Southgate all over again...

Offline Ruba

« Reply #584 on: May 20, 2012, 02:40:39 AM »

Don't forget the charity shield!  :laugh:

Oh shit. Then we're tied.

I saw the penalties. Strange to be excited for Chelsea. I guess I hate Bayern Munchen very much. Pity that Tottenham isn't in Champions League next season, but they'll kick Arsenal's ass big time next PL season.

And so happy an English team has finally beaten the Germans in a penalty shootout!

And German (Schweinsteiger) missed a penalty and gave Drogba the keys of won. David Luiz's penalty was absolutely amazing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #585 on: May 20, 2012, 03:00:12 AM »
Man, what a game. I had to collect my thoughts and sleep on it, that was a crazy night, and that comes from a Man United-fan.  :lol
Game was pretty much like I had expected, Bayern having most of the possession and creating chances, Chelsea focusing more on their defensive strengths, fighting tough. Some people say Chelsea won with a boring way of playing football, and that they should have attacked more, I think that's silly. Chelsea has probably their worst squad in 10 years, and if you compare their current offensive players against Bayern's, then the latter will have the advantage.
Chelsea again did a perfect game, very solid defense and they picked their attacks very well. Drogba still remains one of the best attackers, he might not be as fast anymore, but in the penalty-box he is dangerous.

Di Matteo did the impossible, and I think I speak for everyone when I say that nobody had expected Chelsea to win CL, not this year. If this performance doesn't give Di Matteo a lifelong-contract or that he gets knighted among the monks of Mongolia, I don't know what will.
When Mata missed his penalty I thought Chelsea would go out, but they managed to score the other 4, and the night was just crazy. Chelsea totally deserved it though, if you can defeat big teams like Napoli, Barcelona and Bayern Münich on the way, you deserve to win.

Also nice to see Harry Rednose and Tottenham play EL next year.  :lol

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #586 on: May 20, 2012, 03:53:47 AM »
Well, that was totally undeserved, but hey....that´s football for you. When you´re missing penalty´s it´s gonna bite you in the ass.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #587 on: May 20, 2012, 12:27:09 PM »
  :rollin

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #588 on: May 20, 2012, 01:07:11 PM »
haha :lol

Offline jag66

« Reply #589 on: May 20, 2012, 01:38:58 PM »
Who'd have bet on Chelsea winning a penalty shoot out to germans in their own back yard, brilliant! :lol

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #590 on: May 21, 2012, 02:09:08 PM »
Chelsea were lucky. Scoring last-minute goals against Barcelona and Bayern is just wow. But to be fair they deserved it. They've gone to the finals multiple times and lost.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #591 on: May 21, 2012, 02:25:21 PM »
Actually, the only time Chelsea has made it to the finals before was in 08 when Man United won on penalties. But that was such a painful experience that Chelsea really deserved to win it this time. :P

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #592 on: May 24, 2012, 05:41:01 AM »
So the Hazard transfer-saga has me on edge. I really hope he joins Man United, if he does then I'm totally changing my avatar to #7 Hazard. While City and Chelsea could offer more cash, Man United still remains a bigger club, and he will get lots of playtime. And we have the best manager, so.
There's also still talks about Kagawa, if we landed both then I could die happy.  :D

Just imagine a team looking something like this:

Hazard - Rooney - Nani
               Kagawa
        Carrick - Cleverley
Evra - Vidic - Ferdinand - Rafael
               De Gea

With awesome back-up in Valencia, Young, Hernandez, Welbeck, Scholes and Giggs. :caffeine:

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #593 on: May 24, 2012, 12:09:49 PM »
United also linked strongly in the British press with Leighton Baines. Could be a good replacement for Evra, who had a poor season in my opinion.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member