Author Topic: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)  (Read 202369 times)

Offline Ruba

Re: The Official Football (soccer) Thread [merged]
« Reply #525 on: April 15, 2012, 06:15:53 AM »
Liverpool is in FA Cup finals!

We'll win two trophies. ManU wins one. Maybe  ;D.

I hope that Tottenham will be the second final team.

Offline John94

« Reply #526 on: April 15, 2012, 06:55:29 AM »
Knew Carroll would score the winner!!

Let's go and get ourselves a domestic double!

I personally want Chelsea in the final. I'd feel more confident against them, plus I'd love to see Torres and Meireles react should we win.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #527 on: April 15, 2012, 06:57:11 AM »
Knew Carroll would score the winner!!

Let's go and get ourselves a domestic double!

I personally want Chelsea in the final. I'd feel more confident against them, plus I'd love to see Torres and Meireles react should we win.

...Or Liverpool's reaction if Torres scores the deciding goal and Chelsea wins.  :biggrin:

Offline John94

« Reply #528 on: April 15, 2012, 06:57:58 AM »
I am wholly confident no such thing would happen.

Offline jag66

« Reply #529 on: April 15, 2012, 07:53:22 AM »
Liverpool vs Chelsea, Carroll vs Torres (just who was the biggest utter waste of money..  :corn)

Offline John94

« Reply #530 on: April 15, 2012, 10:33:49 AM »
Well obviously it is Torres as for £50m he has only given Chelsea about 8 goals since he signed, whereas Carroll for £35m has given us 11 goals in 51 games. Facts may be wrong but I know for a fact Carroll has scored more than Torres in all competitions. This is why I hate British media. They are quick to give Carroll stick, but call Torres "unlucky" or "trying too hard." Carroll will get little praise or media spotlight even if he scored 5 goals vs. top of the table.

Still not good, nor do I agree with the prices paid, but I stand by Torres being more of a waste of money.

Offline jag66

« Reply #531 on: April 15, 2012, 12:50:36 PM »
Well obviously it is Torres as for £50m he has only given Chelsea about 8 goals since he signed, whereas Carroll for £35m has given us 11 goals in 51 games. Facts may be wrong but I know for a fact Carroll has scored more than Torres in all competitions. This is why I hate British media. They are quick to give Carroll stick, but call Torres "unlucky" or "trying too hard." Carroll will get little praise or media spotlight even if he scored 5 goals vs. top of the table.

Still not good, nor do I agree with the prices paid, but I stand by Torres being more of a waste of money.

Torres gets ALOT of stick from the general public, although I have heard pundits say he's played a good game 'for the team' bla bla.
As for Caroll, he's scored 2 or 3 goals recently which has improved his record slightly (granted, an important one yesterday) but I still think he's been a shadow of the player he was at newcastle previously.

More stocking ref'ing in the totenham chelsea game today!

Offline John94

« Reply #532 on: April 15, 2012, 01:39:49 PM »
I am disgusted at the antics of some Chelsea fans during the minutes silence today.

I can't wait to play them and beat them well in memory of the 96.

Offline jag66

« Reply #533 on: April 15, 2012, 02:20:17 PM »
I am disgusted at the antics of some Chelsea fans during the minutes silence today.

I can't wait to play them and beat them well in memory of the 96.

Pretty poor behaviour. Never had the Chelsea fans down as much dicks. Taking a leaf from members of their team it would seem..

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #534 on: April 15, 2012, 06:36:01 PM »
That's Ashley Young!

Offline bugsyoz

« Reply #535 on: April 15, 2012, 07:24:30 PM »
ynwa.  Great Win.

Justice for the 96

Offline Ruba

« Reply #536 on: April 16, 2012, 12:22:17 AM »
I am wholly confident no such thing would happen.

Me too.

Chelsea is quite neutral for me. More negative than positive.

And Torres will score none, and Carroll a hat trick!

E: I saw that Ashley Young one in sports news. It was quite fun when the reporter said something like "Young was knocked over". Fuck, he knocked himself over  :P.

I hate when players do that. I haven't yet forgiven Arjen Robben of his mighty flight in World Cup quarter finals in 2010.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #537 on: April 16, 2012, 02:12:02 AM »
Ashley Young's behaviour is something I don't like. He's a great football player, but I don't tolerate diving no matter who it comes from, so it's frustrating to see. I think it was even worse against QPR because Derry got a red card for taking down Young, when there was barely any contact.

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #538 on: April 16, 2012, 04:13:15 PM »
what a week for Wigan!
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #539 on: April 18, 2012, 01:24:00 AM »
Good game yesterday. Think the result keeps the game fairly open, though I think it's a better result for Real then for Bayern.
Also looking forward to the game tonight, come on Chelsea!  :hat

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #540 on: April 18, 2012, 01:46:50 AM »
It was an entertaining game but I'm becoming increasingly fed up with Mourinho. I don't get why he plays Coentrao, he's a putrid defender and doesn't do much on attack. Marcelo is way superior IMO, though I admit he has the drawback of being easily angered, as the last minutes of the game showed (he should have been ejected).

Another player I don't get his love for is Khedira. Whenever he plays the ball movement is a lot worse than when Sahin or Granero play.

Still, a decent result but considering I'm almost certain Bayern will score in Madrid, we'll have to score at least 2 goals (3 if we don't want extra time) so there's still a lot of work ahead.

Edit: Bayern is now 9 wins, 1 draw, 0 losses against Real Madrid when they play at home. I was hoping we could break this statistic this year, but I guess we'll have to wait.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #541 on: April 18, 2012, 02:54:34 PM »
CHELSEA!  :D
The game was pretty much the opposite from yesterday, instead of being fun, fast and very open, this game was very different. As usual Barca has the ball more often, long periods of the game consisted of passing sideways, and Chelsea playing defense.
Great that Chelsea won, despite having a shaky season they displayed a solid defense, and it was very important that Barca didn't get to score any goals.
I really think Chelsea can do this. Obviously they need to be as good in the next game, but if they get a corner or something and score a goal, that could be important as hell.

So yeah, to quote Xavi: "This was a victory for football".  :hat

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #542 on: April 24, 2012, 01:34:10 PM »
And there goes another game. Big thanks to UEFA and the referee for putting Barca in the finals.
Awesome job!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #543 on: April 24, 2012, 01:38:48 PM »
Come on Chelsea!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #544 on: April 24, 2012, 01:40:41 PM »
I still think the result is way too little to go on for Chelsea, they need another goal if they're gonna have a chance.

Offline jag66

« Reply #545 on: April 24, 2012, 02:32:29 PM »

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #546 on: April 24, 2012, 02:38:56 PM »
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!
Fernando Torres out of all players. Man, I'm so happy now. My heart is pounding, the last 15 minutes were exciting.

Offline jag66

« Reply #547 on: April 24, 2012, 02:45:58 PM »
It had to be torres sealing barca's fate. What a dismal few days for them, all but losing the league, now this.

Chelsea vs Mourinho for the final please!

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #548 on: April 24, 2012, 02:46:37 PM »
Lol Barcelona, that was embarrasing  :rollin Playing against 10 for almost an hour, they ley Chelsea tie

I think it's very good for them and their fans to lose the League and the Champions, so they can stop being the most arrogant team on the planet, stop making demeaning commentaries about teams they consider inferior, and to reconsider their boring style of playing. They put everybody to sleep with their short passes instead of attacking aggressively, and when that doesn't work (like in the last 3 games) they always cry saying "we play the real football, our style is the best, this is so unfair, we can't do much about coward teams that only defend", etc. They have to accept that other styles are as valid as their own, and that sometimes they need to adapt to different circumstances and stop forgetting that the purpose is to score goals, not to achieve the largest number of passes.

Congratulations to Chelsea fans, they deserve this, they fought really hard. I found this very appropiate.
So yeah, to quote Xavi: "This was a victory for football".  :hat
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 03:22:32 PM by reneranucci »

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #549 on: April 24, 2012, 02:50:50 PM »
Man, I can't imagine how the Chelsea-fans are feeling, I'm a Man U-fan but I was totally into the game.
It will be interesting to see what Barca blames this on now, after all they got both a cheap penalty and a cheap red card, so they had their chances. 3 bad games in a row now, can't all be bad luck.

Man what a great night to get me excited before seeing Steven Wilson tomorrow.  :hat

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #550 on: April 24, 2012, 03:37:42 PM »
As a HUGE Chelsea fan, I am on cloud 9. and it was a great game. Tomorrow should be interesting. Rooting for Bayern becasue i think a Chelsea v Bayern could be epic.
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #551 on: April 24, 2012, 06:17:31 PM »
Finally someone besides Mou destroyed Uefalona "circle-jerking" style of playing. I'm so fucking happy.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #552 on: April 25, 2012, 03:00:07 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6RG6yxgeFE

^Gary Neville orgasming over the 2-2 goal.  :rollin

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #553 on: April 25, 2012, 04:44:34 PM »
:(

I really didn't get Mourinho in this game. Playing Kaka who is absolutely worthless, letting him and Ramos shoot penalties instead of people like Higuain or Marcelo... I was watching it in a bar and as soon as we saw Ramos was going to shoot next everyone started screaming that it was over. We even called that he would shoot it too high like he always does... what a disappointing end.

I guess we'll have to do with the Liga but winning just one cup is going to feel very underwhelming after such a strong season.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #554 on: April 29, 2012, 12:17:21 PM »
How bout that Fernando Torres. Maybe he looked at his paychecks for once and felt bad about not doing his job.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #555 on: May 01, 2012, 10:25:21 AM »
Roy Hodgson presented the new head coach for the English national team.  :tup
Personally I think he was the better pick out of the two options, Redknapp was also speculated, but if anything Hodgson is a much stronger tactician, and while he didn't have the best of luck at Liverpool, has Dalglish really performed better despite spending several millions?
Though I'm not sure if the pick was good from a Swede's point of view. We have England in the group stage this summer, and Roy has a better knowledge about Swedish football. But hopefully we can still go through.

Offline jag66

« Reply #556 on: May 01, 2012, 11:53:17 AM »
Hodgson doesn't appear to be the most popular choice here in the UK. I'm a little undecided, I think Harry's man management skills and respect amongst the england players would be invaluable, time will tell if Roy can make the big decisions whilst keeping people on his side. He's done well most of his career apart from with Liverpool, but i'm not sure many managers would succeed with their current crop of players in fairness.

So, looks like Man City are back in the driving seat for the Premier League title.. and they say money can't buy you trophies,  :lol

Offline Ruba

« Reply #557 on: May 01, 2012, 11:53:23 AM »
Last English coach for the English national team (Steve McClaren) was an epic fail.

Hodgson has some great merits, like almost leading the Finnish national team to European Championships ( :facepalm:). And leading Fulham to European League final was also a good result.

Knowledge about Swedish football? Sure, like the Swedish football of the 80s  :P. But if it is true, it's a great thing from a Finn's point of view  ;).

So, looks like Man City are back in the driving seat for the Premier League title.. and they say money can't buy you trophies,  :lol

YESSS! Liverpool 1 - ManU 0. And more to come  :D.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #558 on: May 06, 2012, 08:55:30 AM »
Well that was quite the match yesterday.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #559 on: May 06, 2012, 09:15:14 AM »
Too bad City won. While I don't think Man United deserves to win the PL-title (because they've been pretty shite from time to time), it's still obvious that I would want them to win.
The two good things I feel right now, A) Spurs and Newcastle didn't take the chance, so Arsenal still has the best chance for the third spot, and I enjoy Arsenal, so I hope they grab the spot. B) The failure in Man U might lead to some changes. It has been rumoured that Kagawa might come, and that would make me happy since he's awesome. I would also love to see Hazard, but I doubt we could afford him.