Author Topic: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)  (Read 202432 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: The Official Football (soccer) Thread [merged]
« Reply #490 on: March 15, 2012, 02:40:10 PM »
Athletic Club Bilbao eliminated Manchester United. Man U is in a downhill spiral.

This also shows how incredible Marcelo Bielsa is as a coach.

I don't really know about "downward spiral". They're certainly not as good as they were last season (or the season before that), but it's consequences you have to take when you're in a renewal-phase. Several young players getting some time, and while Jones and De Gea (for example) will most likely be among the best in a few years, being as young as they are now, it is expected that they will have good and bad games.
Still, while Man U have been disappointing in Europe and in the cups, they're still top of the table in Premier League, and I have no doubt at all that they will win it. The team still looks the strongest and has the "winners" in the team. What does Man City have? A good squad, but how many of the players has actually won something? Add to that the fact that City has a much tougher schedule with 5 (I think) games against other top teams left, meanwhile Man U only has City. (unless I missed something) So yeah, they're still favorites and will most likely win PL.

Honestly I think a lot of the talks about a team being in a "crisis" and similar situations are normally far fetched. Every team encounters a weaker season, and if this is a bad season for Man U, and they still win Premier League, then it's not a bad season really? :P
I do hope for some transfers during the summer though, Man U has tried to play more attractive this season, and that is something I approve of. I think both Barcelona and Real has showed the other teams that playing nice is the way to go (which Real has been doing this season), so hopefully Ferguson will learn from that. Would love to see Man U sign Hazard, but he would cost 30-35€ or something, so it's not the kind of money anyone would just pay up.

Still, I think Bilbao deserved to go through. As I mentioned last game, Llorente, Muniain, Herrera and Martinez are all very interesting players. The sad part for Bilbao is that Barca or Real will probably snatch Muniain eventually.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #491 on: March 15, 2012, 03:10:08 PM »
Thank you for remembering you're supposed to say "downward" :lol

And if Man Utd is on top of the table and yet they get eliminated from the Europe League it says a lot of the English teams. I don't see Chelsea reaching the semi-finals in the Champions.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #492 on: March 15, 2012, 03:25:57 PM »
And Barcelona will be playing the final of the Copa del Rey against Athletic de Bilbao. Yikes!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #493 on: March 15, 2012, 03:53:11 PM »
Well, Man United sucks against teams that play like Barcelona. I'm not saying that Bilbao are as good, but they play a very technical and fast football, and Man U had problems with it. And if you look at it from another PoV, Bilbao had everything to win, meanwhile Man U had everything to loose, like how APOEL won over Lyon.

As for Chelsea going further in CL, I think it's possible. We haven't seen the draws yet, and it wouldn't be impossible for Chelsea to get either Apoel, and then Benfica or Marseille. It all comes down to the draw. I think most people will agree that if Chelsea gets either of the two Spanish teams or Bayern, it's probably bye bye.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #494 on: March 17, 2012, 12:45:33 PM »
Really depressing scenes at White Hart Lane. The game between Spurs - Bolton has been called off, Muamba collapsed in the middle of the field, with what looks like a heart-related problem. Apparently he's been rushed to the hospital, and I really hope he makes it. This brings back memories to other players who have had the same destiny, and suddenly the sport itself feels very unimportant.  :(

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #495 on: March 17, 2012, 02:00:06 PM »
 :( That's very sad news. I hope he is Ok
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #496 on: March 20, 2012, 06:17:41 PM »
Messiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Offline Ruba

« Reply #497 on: March 21, 2012, 04:01:20 AM »

He can speak and move his arms and legs, but his condition was yesterday still critical.

I check for possible new news.

Nothing special.

Seems that he survives. Everything good for him.

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #498 on: March 21, 2012, 07:07:37 AM »

He can speak and move his arms and legs, but his condition was yesterday still critical.

I check for possible new news.

Nothing special.

Seems that he survives. Everything good for him.

That's great news  :)

Also, Messi :clap:

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #499 on: March 21, 2012, 11:48:20 AM »
Here in Sweden, the journalists in the newspaper are almost surprised that Messi broke the record, or treating it like the biggest thing ever. Don't get me wrong, Messi is fantastic, but looking at the fact that he's what, 24? And only needed to score 1 or 2 goals to break the record. He has at least 8-9 years left where he can maintain most of his skills, and he can probably keep it up for a few years after that if he wants to. I wouldn't be shocked if Messi did over 400 or 500 goals for Barcelona, as long as he doesn't get any serious injuries. Really, what's stopping him?

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #500 on: March 21, 2012, 12:02:05 PM »
Well, it's journalism. They over exaggerate everything. I believe it does deserve some media coverage because even though we all knew this was going to happen, he broke a record and deserves some praise for that.

Offline John94

« Reply #501 on: March 21, 2012, 04:01:01 PM »
I really, really, really, hope QPR go down.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #502 on: March 21, 2012, 04:06:13 PM »
Arsenal have passed Spurs now. :) Soon Chelsea will do the same! Too bad Chelsea couldn't snatch some points from City today, still I feel 100% confident that Man U will win Premier League.

Offline jag66

« Reply #503 on: March 21, 2012, 04:08:52 PM »
I really, really, really, hope QPR go down.

I really hope they beat liverpool.. oo looks like they did!

Does mancini have a short memory? I thought he said tevez would never play for City again..

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #504 on: March 21, 2012, 04:29:57 PM »
Mancini is such a clown, wouldn't be a big shocker if he gets to leave after another season without titles. Sure he won the FA Cup last year, but with the team he has, winning no trophies... even Liverpool has won a trophy this season. I can't take a coach seriously who says "this player will never play for the club again", but then doesn't hold his word. Lame doesn't even begin to describe it.
But what's even more lame is City's fans. Seriously, applauding Tevez? He refused to be substituted, managed to bitch his way to the reserve team for half a year, lots of talk about how the city sucks, "I want to play somewhere else", yadayadayada. And they are fuckin' applauding him when he comes on? Fuck that.

Offline jag66

« Reply #505 on: March 21, 2012, 04:33:37 PM »
Mancini is such a clown, wouldn't be a big shocker if he gets to leave after another season without titles. Sure he won the FA Cup last year, but with the team he has, winning no trophies... even Liverpool has won a trophy this season. I can't take a coach seriously who says "this player will never play for the club again", but then doesn't hold his word. Lame doesn't even begin to describe it.
But what's even more lame is City's fans. Seriously, applauding Tevez? He refused to be substituted, managed to bitch his way to the reserve team for half a year, lots of talk about how the city sucks, "I want to play somewhere else", yadayadayada. And they are fuckin' applauding him when he comes on? Fuck that.

True: the fans suit the ethos of the club really..

I reckon if fergie or wenger had that squad at their disposal they'd run away with the league.

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #506 on: March 21, 2012, 04:35:22 PM »
^ That. The way Tevez handled himself should have gotten him to not play for the whole season anf the fact that he makes in the team again after 6 months of doing nothing is not good for the team at all. If I was a player that busted my ass off training every day and then see him going into the team I would be pissed off to no end.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #507 on: March 21, 2012, 04:56:24 PM »
REAL MADRID TIED!!!!

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #508 on: March 30, 2012, 08:47:55 PM »
So, if both Barcelona and Chelsea win this round they will be facing each other and coincidentaly I will be in London when they play at Chelsea's stadium. I know it's gonna cost a fuckton of money but it's probably going to be my only chance to watch these two great teams. Does anyone know where I can get tickets?

Offline Lotion

« Reply #509 on: March 31, 2012, 10:05:59 AM »
ahh yeaaah! Sunderland made a draw against Man. City, Arsenal lost against QPR.. and WHAT? Torres scored....

What a day.. Hope Man. United don't mess it up against B'burn on monday! Who would've thought that United would be in the leading position with their squad and injuries?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #510 on: March 31, 2012, 10:12:33 AM »
I think PL is all done now. When Man U defeats Blackburn on Monday there will be 5 points between, next weekend City have Arsenal away, where I think Arsenal will win it. (better form despite the loss today) And then (if Man U do their part) there might be a 8 points difference after the next round. I'm happy.  :)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 02:46:32 PM by Zantera »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #511 on: April 03, 2012, 02:48:40 PM »
I'm considering not watching CL at all anymore, it just tends to be the same ol' stuff over and over. I don't really blame Barca for all the diving/surround the referee/general behaviour, what makes me sad is that the referees tend to buy it 90% of the times. CL really needs better referees, it's not just a problem in the games with Barcelona, but generally I feel like the quality of them has decreased a lot over the last years. And what's up with the penalty box-referees? Have they EVER done anything? Like, being a part of a decision?  :lol

Offline Lotion

« Reply #512 on: April 09, 2012, 04:08:07 PM »
And what's up with the penalty box-referees? Have they EVER done anything? Like, being a part of a decision?  :lol

Barely noticed them, even though I know they are there.

And your(our) wish came true, ah I'm happy!! A lot has to go wrong for United to mess this up.. The interesting part of the league now is who's getting into top four. I really hope Chelsea will miss the spot, so either Newcastle or Spurs would make smile.. There's just been way too many cocky Chelsea fans the past years.

Oh, and Liverpool is just 4 points away from 14th...! :D

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #513 on: April 10, 2012, 08:20:10 AM »
If I would pick with my heart, Arsenal and Newcastle would end up 3 & 4, but the logic says that Chelsea will take the 4th spot. And yeah, it may sound easy to say it now, but I did see City's drop coming. There's another very interesting game in two weeks, Arsenal - Chelsea, which will be very important for the top. I do believe Arsenal will win it, but even a draw isn't that good for Chelsea, they're still two behind Spurs. But if I didn't miss something, Newcastle are at the same points as Spurs now right? (but worse goal difference) Would be really fun to see Newcastle reach CL, they do have interesting players like Ben Arfa, Tiote, Cabaye, Ba and Cissé, with the extra cash they would get from going to CL, they could bring on a few more great players.

Offline John94

« Reply #514 on: April 10, 2012, 01:37:35 PM »
Madness for Liverpool and the goalkeeper situations recently. I knew the reserve keeper (Doni or Jones) would save a penalty in Reinas absence (especially with Reinas old reputation of being a penalty stopper)

Delighted to see Brad Jones get the chance and stop that penalty especially with what has been happening in his family life.

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #515 on: April 11, 2012, 02:56:20 PM »
Man U got their ass handed to them by Wigan and Man City looked good. This race isnt over yet.  and on a great note Juventus won!
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #516 on: April 11, 2012, 03:32:54 PM »
Well, to be fair I think Wigan has more to play for. While the title is certainly a huge achievement, hanging onto Premier League as a small club can be the difference between success and going under. We've all seen clubs that have gone out, and then fallen deeper and deeper.
I do think the race is over though, how often does Man U loose points against lesser teams? It happened today, but I don't see it happen much more of the season. And besides, who says that City will beat United? :P

Would have preferred a win tonight though.

Offline Lotion

« Reply #517 on: April 12, 2012, 12:35:43 AM »
Well, to be fair I think Wigan has more to play for. While the title is certainly a huge achievement, hanging onto Premier League as a small club can be the difference between success and going under. We've all seen clubs that have gone out, and then fallen deeper and deeper.
I do think the race is over though, how often does Man U loose points against lesser teams? It happened today, but I don't see it happen much more of the season. And besides, who says that City will beat United? :P

Would have preferred a win tonight though.

The hardest opponents at the end of season is always the clubs fighting for their spot in the league..The rest of the teams UTD will meet, don't have anything to play for with the exception of City... It's just too bad United always make it more interesting at the end of the season, just like last year when Chelsea was 12 points behind and at one point they were 2 or something.

I find my english very bad when discussing football.. sorry about that!

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #518 on: April 12, 2012, 12:06:32 PM »
I tend to agree, Man U has just looked a bit shaky lately. It will be hard for City to catch them and it is a must win for City when they play Man U. If they can get there, City currently holds goal differential.
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #519 on: April 12, 2012, 04:04:26 PM »
I'm considering not watching CL at all anymore, it just tends to be the same ol' stuff over and over.
Don't be a cry-baby. Just appeal to your nationalist gut and root for Chelsea. Is it gonna be payback? I don't think so.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #520 on: April 12, 2012, 04:40:17 PM »
I'm considering not watching CL at all anymore, it just tends to be the same ol' stuff over and over.
Don't be a cry-baby. Just appeal to your nationalist gut and root for Chelsea. Is it gonna be payback? I don't think so.

Let's face it though, Champions League has become stale. Where is the excitement? It's always the same teams, and sure there were a few surprises with Man U and City going out so fast, but am I surprised about the Semi Final-teams? No. I would probably have said Man U instead of Chelsea, but otherwise Barca, Real and Bayern were all expected to go far.
All in all I think the tournament has lost a bit of it's charm, it's especially noticeable in the group-stage where many of the big teams rest players because they face lesser teams. Another factor might be that Barca and Real are the best teams by far in Europe right now, and it would feel much more interesting if there were other teams that felt as solid.

Predictions: Real beats Bayern, Barca beats Chelsea. Real gets an early questionable red card in the final, Barca scores a goal or two, game ends.
But obviously I will cheer for Chelsea though. I think that one of the few things that are in their favour is that nobody is expecting them to do anything, if you ask a million people, there might be 5 people who thinks Chelsea has a chance.

In short terms my frustration is mostly aimed towards many of the other top teams being more shit then usual.  :P I remember the year when it was Monaco - Porto in the finals, talk about crazy year. No-one had expected any of them to go so far, so it was nice. The Liverpool-Milan final was also crazy (the one where Pool turned 0-3 to 3-3). Not sure when the last exciting final was, all I remember is Man U getting their asses handed to them by Barca.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #521 on: April 13, 2012, 03:14:38 PM »
Believe it or not -before Bayern plays against Real- I think Munich is the best team right now. They are INCREDIBLY good this season. I'm quite scared, to be honest.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #522 on: April 13, 2012, 03:16:38 PM »
Believe it or not -before Bayern plays against Real- I think Munich is the best team right now. They are INCREDIBLY good this season. I'm quite scared, to be honest.
Really? I used to think so, but they have been quite uneven this season. They've had a few streaks with winning big, but they lost two times to Dortmund, and will most likely not win the league. While a final at home would be a nice carrot to do good games against Real, I think the latter is a more solid team.

Offline John94

« Reply #523 on: April 13, 2012, 04:31:06 PM »
Semi-finals for the FA Cup this weekend. I am going with 2 tight games.

Liverpool 1 - Everton 0 (Carroll)
Tottenham 2 - Chelsea 3

Eitherway, come on Liverpool!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #524 on: April 14, 2012, 04:54:02 PM »
Emindead, even you have to admit that Cuenca's penalty was cheap?  :biggrin: