Author Topic: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)  (Read 203334 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: The Official Football (soccer) Thread [merged]
« Reply #350 on: November 20, 2011, 05:06:27 AM »
Awesome that I managed to win money yesterday, on what we have here in Sweden called "Stryktipset", which is pretty much 13 games, and you pick the outcomes etc, have to have 10 correct ones to win money, I had 12 out of 13 (lousy Birmingham ruined it for me!), and I managed to win 2509 sek, which is like ~274 euros, great weekend!  :D

Anyhow, really excited about the game today, both teams have to go for a win, and that makes it very interesting.
I think I might be rooting a bit for Liverpool (feels wrong as a Man U-fan), but as I see it, Chelsea feels like a better team and a bigger opponent, so if they loose some points today, it's cool. (A draw would be nice too)

On another note, next weekend there's another big game, Liverpool vs Man City, so really hoping that Liverpool will have a great day then, so that Man U can gain some on them. (Man U is playing Newcastle at home)

Finally, there's Champions League this week again, Arsenal - Dortmund looks like one of the most promising games, but Napoli - Man City will be very interesting, and I'm hoping that Man United will win over Basel.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #351 on: November 20, 2011, 05:18:59 AM »
Hey, congratulations! I only had 8 correct ones, no money here.

Looking forward to the Liverpool-Chelsea game today too. Should be a great one!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #352 on: November 26, 2011, 06:28:27 AM »
Time for another weekend with PL-football, here are the games:

Today:
[12.45] Stoke vs Blackburn
[15.00] Bolton vs Everton
[15.00] Chelsea vs Wolverhampton
[15.00] Manchester United vs Newcastle
[15.00] Norwich vs Queens Park Rangers
[15.00] Sunderland vs Wigan
[15.00] West Bromwich vs Tottenham
[17.30] Arsenal vs Fulham

Tomorrow:
[13.30] Swansea vs Aston Villa
[16.00] Liverpool vs Manchester City

Some interesting games, Man United have a fairly good form in Premier League with some wins in a row, but all in all they haven't reached the "top team"-form yet, and Newcastle is the big surprise this year, so while I'm hoping for a Man U-win, I think Newcastle will put up a good fight, and if Man U doesn't focus enough, we might loose points. :/ (hopefully not!)
Chelsea has an important game against Wolves, AVB is one of the more questioned managers after a shaky start, the worst for them since Abramovich took over, and he isn't known for having patience with managers, so a win is very important.
I must say, personally I really like AVB and his training-style, wanting to play attractive football, but I think the problem is that Chelsea aren't good enough for that kind of football, they only have Mata that (IMO) is good enough for that quicker paced passing game, the rest of the players aren't bad ofc, but I feel like they are more suited for "boring" football.  :lol

Some London-teams are in focus, Tottenham are playing against W.Bromwich, a tough away game, but their form has been rather brilliant since the shaky start, and I'll be surprised if Tottenham doesn't win with a few goals margin.
Arsenal are playing Fulham, and from the rumors I've heard, Wenger might be resting some players for the game, I've heard that Diaby might start instead of Ramsey, Arshavin instead of Walcott and Park or Chamakh instead of Van Persie, I can't promise anything, but it will be interesting to see.
Apart from Man City, Tottenham and Arsenal probably has the best forms, so I do think Man United, Chelsea and Pool (three other candidates for the CL-spots) need to step up a bit.
Pool - City tomorrow promises to be the BIG game of this weekend, I'll be rooting for Liverpool so hard that hopefully they will snatch 3 points, I think it's important for the league that City looses a game so that the other teams get more energy.

Didn't comment on the CL-games during the week, but it's interesting how Man City are pretty much 90% out of the tournament, Man United and Chelsea are almost out as well.
I think Man United might go further, but City and Chelsea are pretty much bye bye.
The interesting part here is that the highly criticized Arsenal was the first English team to qualify for the next round, and maybe they'll be the only team as well, the others have some tough games and scenarios ahead.
Arsenal also had the hardest group (after Man City) with teams like Dortmund and Marseille being very tricky, but they managed to do really well.
My guess before Cl started was that Real Madrid would win it, and I have no reason to change my theory, they have (IMO) the best squad by far, the most variety and the best players, and they are playing fantastic football at the moment.
Barcelona looks much weaker, they barely won over old Milan, the fact that Xavi had to dive for a penalty says a bit about how much trouble they had.
Still, Barcelona will probably make it to the last 4 (or 8), if not by themselves, then with some help from the referees. ;)
Real Madrid - Bayern Münich would probably be the best final IMO (as a neutral fan).

Last, Van Persie is close to beating Alan Shearer's goal record of scoring 36 goals during a "calendar-year" (from January - December), RVP has 31 goals right now, Shearer's record is at 36, so that means 5 goals in (6-7?) games, and I think he'll beat it.
He's in a sick form.  :angel:

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: November 26, 2011, 09:36:37 AM »
I so wanna keep up with European soccer again. I've been focused only on the Egyptian one.
My problem here in the U.S is that I dunno anyone to watch the games with which I can manage but the point of my soccer friends back home was to remind me of when to turn the TV on to watch :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #354 on: November 26, 2011, 12:35:55 PM »
Another win for Spurs, once City get disqualified for being too rich the title will be ours! Mwahhahaha

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #355 on: November 26, 2011, 12:38:58 PM »
Interesting that Man U and Arsenal lost points.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #356 on: November 27, 2011, 06:44:58 AM »
Tragic news about Gary Speed. True legend of the game.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #357 on: December 03, 2011, 02:02:48 AM »
Yeah, sad news about Gary Speed indeed. :(
I remember him quite well, I've been watching football for about 10-11 years now, and I remember him playing for Newcastle like it was yesterday, even his last seasons in Bolton and Sheffield United.
R.I.P to a great football player, one of the Premier League-legends!

To something fun instead, today starts the 14th round of Premier League, and I am excited!
The games that will be played this weekend are:

Saturday:

[12:45] Newcastle - Chelsea
[15:00] Blackburn - Swansea
[15:00] Man City - Norwich
[15:00] Queens Park Rangers - West Bromwich
[15:00] Tottenham - Bolton
[15:00] Wigan - Arsenal
[17:30] Aston Villa - Man United

Sunday:

[15:00] Everton - Stoke
[16:00] Wolverhampton - Sunderland

Monday:

[20:00] Fulham - Liverpool

Some interesting games, particularly Newcastle against Chelsea, a game where I hold Newcastle as favorites (they have the home advantage as well), but Chelsea are under pressure and really HAVE to win, so the outcome could go either way.
Chelsea are so vulnerable in their defense, and Newcastle managed to get a point away against Man United last weekend, so taking points of Chelsea shouldn't be impossible.
Out of the 15:00-games I will personally watch Wigan - Arsenal, interested to see if Van Persie can continue to score goals, Man City - Norwich is the "main"-game on TV here today, but I feel like Norwich has very little chance of shaking them, so I'd rather see a more "open" game. Wigan are fighting for their lives, and did win against Sunderland last weekend, which led to Sunderland sacking Steve Bruce.

I will probably miss the Sunday-games since I'm going to a concert, and the Monday-game since I have a huge math-test around that time, but there will also be Champions League next week.
There are a couple of groups where it's already clear, but I would recommend following the English-teams, Chelsea - Valencia has the potential to be one of the classic CL-games, for those who haven't followed closely, Chelsea and Valencia are at the same points, this is the last game and whoever get's the result goes through to the next round. If I'm not mistaken, 0-0 will take Chelsea through, but 1-1 or 2-2 (a draw with goals scored) will tip the favor to Valencia, since they have better results overall then.
Man City - Bayern and Villareal - Napoli will be interesting, Man City are almost out of CL already, not what they had hoped for after spending ~8 billion on the club, money isn't everything, but IF they shall have the smallest chance of going through, Villareal has to beat Napoli, and City has to beat Bayern, problem is that Bayern is the best team in the group (so it's hard for City to beat them), and Villareal has 0 points so far, so Napoli should beat them.
And last, Basel - Man United can be interesting as well, if Basel wins they go through, if Man U gets a draw or wins, they go through.

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #358 on: December 03, 2011, 04:21:54 AM »
Another win for Spurs today, and that'll take us up to 2nd, if only for a few hours. Here's hoping Villa can get a result against Man U!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #359 on: December 03, 2011, 04:57:14 AM »
I must admit, I think it's kinda surprising how good Spurs have been in PL vs how shitty they have been in Europa League.
Though, I have no idea what kind of team they have used, but their group looks fairly easy, and it's still a tournament that Spurs could win. :P

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #360 on: December 03, 2011, 08:03:45 AM »
They've definitely been playin the 'b' team in Europe, mostly kids and non regular starters. That's part of the reason why the first team has been performing so well in the league, because the first 11 are always well rested.

Offline Lotion

« Reply #361 on: December 04, 2011, 09:40:56 AM »
Man. City- Man. Utd in the third round of the FA Cup, this is going to be interesting!

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #362 on: December 07, 2011, 04:24:27 PM »
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

MANCHESTER UNITED ELIMINATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #363 on: December 10, 2011, 11:50:53 AM »
Forgot to post about the games today, but cool win for Arsenal, and Man United got a nice victory.

Biggest games this weekend is El Clasico (Real Madrid - Barcelona) tonight and Chelsea - Man City on Monday, I probably won't be able to see any of them, but I'll be rooting for Real and Chelsea.
I honestly can't stand it if the cheating bastards of FC Uefa wins tonight, Real MUST win.. not just for themselves, but for football in general, and to prove that there is a god after all. That mankind isn't doomed, that there is still hope and light for us.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #364 on: December 16, 2011, 05:30:30 AM »
Anyone following the CL and Europa League-draw?

Out of the PL-interest I have, Arsenal got a pretty good draw against Milan. I think we could see two interesting games, but I'd hold Arsenal as favorites, and I think they could win both games.
Chelsea got a much harder draw against Napoli who pushed Man City out, and it's hard for me to guess about it, on one hand I would be sad if another English team left so early in CL, cause the league itself would suffer a bit, but I've really been impressed by Napoli, and they really have my respect.
Otherwise most games looks fairly obvious, Barcelona and Real will probably advance, Lyon and the other "normal" teams.

Europa League... oh hell. Porto - Man City, then Ajax - Man United, really promising draws. On one hand, lame that they are so early in the tournament, but both those games could have been CL quarter-finals or something.
Stoke will face Valencia, another interesting game.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #365 on: December 16, 2011, 06:05:15 AM »
Some interesting draws, both the CL and EL ones. United will face Ajax, that should be an interesting game.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jag66

« Reply #366 on: December 16, 2011, 06:25:00 AM »
It'll be interesting to see what sort of teams the manchesters will put out for the Europa League. They could see it as a very good chance of winning some silverwear and put strong teams out.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #367 on: December 17, 2011, 02:03:32 AM »
Tragic news about Gary Speed. True legend of the game.

I am very late, but R.I.P. Gary Speed.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #368 on: December 17, 2011, 02:24:07 AM »
Okay, time for another round in Premier League.
Interestingly enough, this weekend most of the "good" games will be played tomorrow, but as always there are games today as well.
This is the last week I will be able to post this for now, (going away over Christmas and New Years), and as some of you know, Premier League goes into hard-mode at this time of the year, 2-3 games a week for the coming 2 weeks, so there are a lot of points on stake.
This weekend's games:

Today:

[15:00] Blackburn vs West Bromwich
[15:00] Everton vs Norwich
[15:00] Fulham vs Bolton
[15:00] Newcastle vs Swansea
[15:00] Wolverhampton vs Stoke
[17:30] Wigan vs Chelsea

Tomorrow:

[12:00] Queens Park Rangers vs Man United
[14:05] Aston Villa vs Liverpool
[15:00] Tottenham vs Sunderland
[16:10] Man City vs Arsenal

Games in bold are the ones I'm going to see myself, the big game of the weekend is without doubt Manchester City - Arsenal tomorrow.
City has recently been pushed out of Champions League and lost their first game in the PL last Monday against Chelsea, and if there is any team that can beat City right now, Arsenal is one of them.
Very interesting to see, I'm hoping that Arsenal can do to City - what they did to Chelsea, a 5-3 win away, would be great for the table.  :D
As for Man United, some troubles regarding the midfield... Fletcher has retired from football for now, for those of you who haven't heard the news, Fletcher has been battling a disease for a while now, he has a bowel disease that stopped him from playing a lot last season. Add to that Anderson, Cleverley and Gibson who are all injured, and Man United does not have many options left, most likely Carrick-Giggs or Carrick-Jones. Maybe (if things won't get better) we get to see Ravel Morrison or Paul Pogba on the bench for United during the Holiday-games, if Fergie feels like giving them a chance. :)

On another note, Barcelona is playing Santos in the Club World Cup-final on Sunday, another interesting game.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #369 on: December 18, 2011, 04:06:40 AM »
Anyone else watching Barcelona - Santos? I was hoping for a little bit more resistance from Santos to be honest.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #370 on: December 18, 2011, 06:03:32 AM »
Nah I'm watching QPR - Man United right now, but not really surprised that Barcelona won so easily.
Sadly I feel like Neymar will be one of the next Brazilians that starts off promising but ends up as a failure, like Robinho or Ronaldinho (who had some great years in Barcelona, but fell to the bottom quickly).

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #371 on: December 18, 2011, 06:14:58 AM »
I hope not. The guy is a great player but the trend with brazilian stars lately is that they glow for a cople of years and then fall into oblivion.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #372 on: December 18, 2011, 07:01:52 AM »
Yeah, I mean.. I hope that he will become a good player, but I feel like people are hyping him a lot for no reason.
There's a big difference in playing well in the Brazilian league, and playing well in one of the major leagues, the big question is what team will buy him, Barcelona doesn't really have the economy for it, Real could buy him, but they have Benzema and Higuain who are both doing well, while the Spanish league would probably "suit" him best, I think that teams like City or Chelsea could offer him more playtime, so it's tricky.

On another note, good and solid win for Man United, now I am going to watch a bit of Villa - Liverpool while I study some, and then it is time for the big game - City vs Arsenal.  :D

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #373 on: December 18, 2011, 07:31:58 AM »
I'll probably catch the arsenal one while having lunch.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #374 on: December 18, 2011, 08:24:52 AM »
I honestly can't stand it if the cheating bastards of FC Uefa wins tonight, Real MUST win.. not just for themselves, but for football in general, and to prove that there is a god after all. That mankind isn't doomed, that there is still hope and light for us.
Just embrace the best team in history already! Or not, every time you make a negative comment about Barcelona I just smile because Barça has won yet another title. 13 titles in three years? That's a new record. But keep crying and telling yourself that Barcelona are cheaters, I'll just smile and learn to pretend to care while I remember enjoying every single celebration winning those cups brought to me.

Oh, and let's add this remark Neymar said after today's game that crowned, again, Barcelona as World-Wide Champion (4-0 btw): "Today we learned how to play football."

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #375 on: December 18, 2011, 11:24:30 AM »
I don't really think it's worth discussing it with a one-eyed Barcelona-supporter to be honest, I haven't come across a single Barcelona-supporter that can be objective and say "hey, even though Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets and Dani Alves are good players, they still dive a lot, and it isn't good behavior", for some reason most Barcelona fans defend their players like crazy, it's ok to dive and whine to the referee if you are a good player apparently.
You could tell me that Nani is a diver, and that Ronaldo was the same in Man U, and I would completely agree with you.
I don't get why we should overlook all the bad things because of other things, and are you really surprised that Barcelona won the Club World Cup? That tournament is such a joke, it consists of 6 crap teams and one that is at least 5 levels above, and that is always the team from Europe. If it had been Stoke, Malaga or Palermo, even they would have won the whole tournament.

As for the whole "today we learned how to play football", I know that many people hold Barcelona's playingstyle as something good, while I personally don't care for all the sideways-passing.
Anyhow, what does bother me is Xavi and all his talk about "A win/A loss for football". Don't get me wrong, Xavi is a great player, but as soon as Barcelona looses a game, Xavi says that the result is a "loss for football", and when Barcelona wins, it's a "win for football", I don't think I've ever come across a player as arrogant as him. :P

While Barcelona is a great team, I wouldn't say that they are the best team. Why? Because I think they are too dependent on Messi. Seeing as Messi is practically NEVER injured, Barcelona doesn't have to face the same problems as other teams has, Ronaldo has some injuries every now and then which makes it worse for Real, Rooney has been injured on and off for Man U, Van Persie in Arsenal is another example, and I could do examples all day long.
The fact that Messi is involved in 60-70% of their goals says something, and I believe that if he was injured, they wouldn't be anywhere near AS good.
While other teams may not reach the quality of Barcelona with all their players healthy, the real truth is that the best teams very rarely have all players healthy, and it's normal for many teams to have their best players away every now and then.
I also find it funny how Messi is never injured, yet Barca claims that everyone is out to "get him". Back in Roy Keane's days, it was just a kick in the knee and the career was ruined, apparently nobody in Real (Pepe or the other "butchers") knows how to tackle properly.

On another note, too bad for Arsenal that they lost the game today.
While City played good, I feel like Arsenal was just as good, and they were robbed of a penalty, so a bit unlucky there.
However, I do think City will have a "bad"-period in the spring, or maybe even now during New Years, so hopefully they can loose some points.

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #376 on: December 18, 2011, 03:10:26 PM »
I think in the whole we have to give Barca their credit. They are currently the best team in the world. Man U has proven they are not. Barca recently beat Real handily. Who else is there to beat? Best team ever. Well thats a tall task to claim. I can go back to many teams over the past 40 years I have been following soccer that may be better. But for now I for one ( and I am a Juventus and Chelsea guy) will say they are best best club team in the world.
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline Lotion

« Reply #377 on: December 31, 2011, 08:05:43 AM »
United just ruined my new years eve.. FUUU! Well, time to get drunk, happy new year!

Offline Lotion

« Reply #378 on: January 08, 2012, 05:45:36 AM »
Paul Scholes on the bench today, jee .. I'm so excited about this! Though I'm afraid the results today will be in Man. City's favor!

Offline jag66

« Reply #379 on: January 08, 2012, 07:55:05 AM »
Cracking match! Good to see city knocked down a peg.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #380 on: January 08, 2012, 08:01:52 AM »
Pew that Man United won.
After the first half I thought "this shouldn't be that hard now", but Lindegaard proved me wrong by throwing in two easy balls, and if the game had gone on for 10 more minutes, that could have been 2-3 goals more for Man City.
I'm not saying that De Gea has been the best keeper ever so far, but he has the future in front of him, he has the talent, and Lindegaard is AT best a reserve-keeper for a PL-team.

At least Man United won.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #381 on: January 18, 2012, 08:43:15 PM »
Claiming that Messi is the sole responsible for this team to win their games is completely false. He never gets an injury? Thank God his bones are like rubber, honestly. I can't explain why he's so lucky, but he is. He does get sick though, that's why last week he didn't play full time. When Barcelona beat Real Madrid 5-0 Messi didn't score a single goal. Today we beat Real Madrid 1-2, though he did make that incredible pass to Abidal. But why forget Busquets -the whiniest guy EVER!!!- who knows how to win a ball back, or Xavi who is with CR7 the second best player in the world right now, or Iniesta a genius on the field, or Fabregas a great forward, or Alexis who demonstrated today his quality, or Carles Puyol who is the best defense player in the history of the team (and who also scores with his magnificent and powerful headers like shown today), or Gerard Piqué who -considering that today was a terrible day for him- stabilizes most of the attacks Barcelona receives and what about Valdes who is not the best goalkeeper (or near Iker Casillas level) in the world yet not having him on the court makes a great difference (Pinto is sooo bad! that first goal was a gift to CR7). Of course Messi is the best player in the world and he does make an insanely amount of difference, yet, as he has pointed out, he is that good because his teammates are also THAT good.

The point is that Barcelona have great players and have a great Cantera called La Macía that creates great football players. Barcelona is not a wallet team like RM (which is fine in its own way) but a formation team.

If Xavi is arrogant it is because he can be one; results speak for themselves. But if we are saying arrogant in a negative connotation what about CR7 and Mourinho's absence in the last Fifa award ceremony? What a shame!

I digress. --- Today was an exciting Clásico. Cristiano Ronaldo played confidently the first minutes, scored a good goal and then... he disappeared. We have a name for that: pecho frío.
Alexis is such a fantastic player, I'm so happy with him!

Please, Spanish Federation or Fifa, do something about Pepe. This is inadmissible and a disgrace to football in general: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXO3_CfC7bA

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #382 on: January 19, 2012, 02:32:08 AM »
I actually watched the game, but I must say the the whole excitement about El Classico is gone.
Real plays tough and sorta boring (apart from those two games before the season, where Real was actually the better team IMO), but they don't really want to play football against Barcelona, and Pepe made a fool out of himself with all the diving and some harsh tackles, all in all the harsh tackle-part fits most players in Real.
And Barcelona are what they normally are, 90% passing sideways, and throwing in tons of diving and surrounding the referee between that, the whole game becomes more breaks then football, cause every time a Real player tackles a Barca-player, we have the 30 second break and talking to a ref, gets a bit annoying.

While Real aren't much better then Barcelona (in terms of diving and trying to cheat), I think the big difference is that most people in the world knows that Real are like this. Nobody is defending Pepe, we know what kind of player he is, and what he does on the field. Nobody is defending Di Maria when he dives, we know he does it. But Barcelona has that "best team in the world"-stamp on them, and I'm by no means criticizing the quality of these players, but their behavior and attitude on the field says a lot, take the situation where Pepe walked over Messi's hand for example. Clumsy of Pepe and a yellow card, but did Messi really have to roll around for 3 minutes after it happened? I really don't think so, while a normal man had gotten up, and asked Pepe "what are you doing?", he decided to act like a woman and roll around on the grass.
It's a bit sad really, it's very hard for me to look at Barca's players with anything but disgust after all the diving and surrounding the referee, if they are the best team in the world, they shouldn't have to dive or try to affect the referee, they should be able to win anyway.

Oh well, just my 5 cents.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #383 on: January 19, 2012, 05:42:04 AM »
Your hate for Barcelona never ceases to impress me Zantera. As I said before, I think you watch too much Premier League because what happens in Barcelona games is the exact same thing that happens in every other game that is not Premier League. The fact that you keep bashing at them like they are the uber cry babies is kind of annoying.
I do agree that football shouldn't have all the acting and talking to the ref that goes on nowadays but unfortunately it's the way this sport has evolved with all the TV and publicity the players get. And it's also a fact that refs are high pressured because every time they make a mistake they are the center of the storm and in this particular case there is a lot of talk about refs benefiting one of the two teams which also contributes to all the circus.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #384 on: January 19, 2012, 05:59:35 AM »
Yeah but it saddens me that the only league that is close to Premier League quality-wise is Bundesliga.  :P
And I don't only hate on Barcelona for diving, I think diving itself is rather disgusting, and you wont see me defend Nani even if I'm a Man U-fan, cause I feel ashamed whenever he dives, or whenever any Man U-player dives. I don't think it's something anyone can defend even if they like the team, but with Barcelona it's never like that. If you ask a Barcelona-supporter, their players never dive, they never do anything out of the ordinary, and it just saddens me that people have a hard time being objective about things.

As I said with Barcelona, the big difference is that people never talk about the bad stuff. I even see people defend the diving part with bullshit like "if they tackle hard, its okay to dive to show the referee that it isn't ok", but that's not okay to do. That's pathetic behavior, let the ref do his job and everything would be much better.
It's not like I have anything against Barcelona as a club, if it would have been Chelsea or Bayern Munich (or any other team) that had acted this way with diving, I would have bashed those clubs instead.  :lol

I just think it would be a great idea to hand out penalties for players who dive, like they could watch certain situations after the games, and if someone used a dive, they could suspend the player for X amount of games.
It's sad that it has become such a big part of the game, and I really think that it's a problem they should take seriously and try to do something about, whether it's Barcelona, Man United or AC Milan, or any other team, diving should reward in suspensions.