Author Topic: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)  (Read 202426 times)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)
« Reply #2135 on: August 23, 2020, 09:55:20 PM »
Yooohooooo Bayren!

Anyway, after this sunday we'll know if Paris or Munich will have a spike in Covid contagions a week from now  :D

They should, the amount of hugging and kissing between the players and their crew after the match had me forget for a second that there's a pandemic going on :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2136 on: August 24, 2020, 01:00:38 AM »
I'm not that pleased that Bayern Munich now is one Champions away from AC Milan's seven triumphs, but those teams like PSG who reach the top just because uber rich people pump shitload of money in them can go eat a youknowwhat, so it's all good in the end  :D
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 01:38:23 AM by MirrorMask »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2137 on: August 24, 2020, 01:05:21 AM »
can go eat a youknowwhat

Voldemort's dick?
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2138 on: August 24, 2020, 01:38:35 AM »
can go eat a youknowwhat

Voldemort's dick?

:rollin

The organ that must not be named
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2139 on: August 25, 2020, 04:52:15 AM »
As much as I hate them, I think Bayern have the advantage. Barcelona is a shadow of itself, City and PSG usually crumble in decisive matches and Leipzig is just too much of an underdog.

Welp, this is one of those times where I hate to be right  :lol
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2140 on: August 25, 2020, 02:59:46 PM »
It seems Messi has had the last of Barcelona's disastrous state and is wanting to leave the club. Part of me thinks he is waging a war against the president. Another part of me thinks he is gone for good. Either way, what was supposed to be a quiet transfer market has suddenly gotten a lot more interesting.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2141 on: October 02, 2020, 08:42:39 AM »
Just a silly thing worth mentioning: yesterday, in a certainly not important pre-qualification match to reach the group stage for Europe Legue, my AC Milan faced Rio Ave, a portoguese team.

Milan took the lead, got equalized into extra time; at the first moment of extra time Rio Ave went on with a 2-1, and at the last possible moment of extra time AC Milan equalized with a penalty.

Therefore they went to penalty kicks, and Milan won..... after 24 (!), TWENTY FOUR penalties. The entire squads kicked a penalty, and they actually started again from the beginning. All of this while the rain was suddenly pouring down and winds were strong.

It was just a random and silly pre-Europe League. But if it had happened in a World Cup or in an important Champions League match, a game where it takes 24 penalties under the soaking rain would have become legendary.

Oh, and since the last post was about Messi... he remained with Barcelona and now will face Ronaldo (Juventus) in the Champions League group stage!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 10:03:03 AM by MirrorMask »

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2142 on: October 02, 2020, 09:57:20 AM »
I saw those penalties yesterday, that was something else! I guess if you were a fan of any of those teams it must have been excruciating, but for the regular fan that was a blast.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2143 on: October 02, 2020, 10:03:43 AM »
Yeah, the best way to enjoy penalty kicks is not caring for either team, you enjoy all the excitement and the drama without being personally involved  ;D

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2144 on: October 21, 2020, 05:09:23 PM »
Is this bothering anybody here? I was watching Bayren VS. Atletico earlier and thought "There's no fuckin way the teams management and crew are making all that noise", looked it up and sure enough they're creating fake crowd noises for the TV broadcast!! I think that's lame as fuck.

"As mentioned before, sound engineers and a board operator will be in control of choosing the noise to make an artificial football atmosphere. For the Champions League, Sky said the job will be split between some on-sight production at the stadium and in the studio outside of Munich"
"a soundtrack of recorded fan chants mixed by a producer to accompany the action. TV channels showing the games internationally have often picked a feed with artificial noise, without offering their local viewers the choice.
Video games company EA Sports is supplying similar crowd noise, drawn from its own archive of recordings, for broadcasts of Spain’s La Liga and the English Premier League."

https://the18.com/en/soccer-news/champions-league-fake-crowd-noise-how-it-works
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/fan-groups-protest-fake-crowd-noise-in-soccer-amid-pandemic/
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2145 on: October 22, 2020, 04:20:24 AM »
It doesn't bother me at all. A football match in an empty stadium is a sad thing to watch, but the times require it to be like this. I like that they are trying to make it seem as normal as possible while things get sorted out. I don't think you can fully replace the crowd noises with a computer, no matter how good the sound engineers are, but at least it provides some of that atmosphere that make football so interesting.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2146 on: October 22, 2020, 07:30:15 AM »
They even added fake crowd noised during the Wacken streaming concerts this summer. I see no malice in ir, we know and they know they're fake, it's just something to make up for these times.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2147 on: October 25, 2020, 06:13:04 AM »
They've been doing it for months. Welcome to covid times, kid. Get used to it.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2148 on: November 25, 2020, 09:30:39 AM »
Oh damn.

Diego Armando Maradona passed away  :(

My team is AC Milan which in the '80s was a direct rival with Maradona's Napoli so my football god will always be Marco Van Basten, and I was never a fan of all the excesses.

Still... 60 years old.... way too young, what a pity and what a loss for his fans.

Argentinian people must surely feel now like brazilians when Ayrton Senna died.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2149 on: November 25, 2020, 10:00:36 AM »
Unreal news. I grew up watching Maradona with the 86 world cup being the first one I saw (still the best one IMO). Watched his ascent and fall to grace, if anyone hasn't I suggest they watch the amazing documentary on him.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5433114/reference

It's completely worth it.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2150 on: November 25, 2020, 10:04:32 AM »
Oh damn. One of the very best football players, some say THE greatest, ever.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2151 on: November 26, 2020, 04:06:32 AM »
Yeah, yesterday was a very strange an emotional day here in Argentina. I personally never idolized him like most people down here do since I only got to see the worst part of his career and the ugliness that came after, but I understand that he brought lots of joy to lots of people. I think for the past 5 or 6 years his mind was half gone and unfortunately for him, the people that surrounded him were trying to milk the last drops of the cow. It was a sad day for football overall.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2152 on: November 26, 2020, 04:15:07 AM »
I don't think there's ever been a more visceral relationship between a town and a football player like Maradona had with Naples. I know / imagine that Argentina is in mourning, but people in Naples are mourning as well and they're already talking about dedicating the stadium to him. I can't imagine Barcelona wanting to name the Camp Nou after Messi for example.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2153 on: April 19, 2021, 05:20:34 AM »
Nothing worth discussing since Maradona died? well, now we have!

https://thesuperleague.it/index.html

The richest clubs in Europe want to do a tournament of their own, "with blacjacks and hookers". An exclusive club for the ultra rich, where they play basically NBA style with lot of money guaranteed to make the rich even richer, and screw everyone else.

UEFA and FIFA are already on the war path, wanting to ban those teams from their national leagues and even the players from their national teams.

What do you think? I might not see the bigger picture and just be stuck with traditions, but this looks like the death of football as we know it.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2154 on: April 19, 2021, 05:46:00 AM »
Not surprisingly this is all about money, sportsmanship has nothing to do with it. And the only reason FIFA and UEFA are against it, is that it isn't their money.

It is not the death of football, football as a sport died a long time ago and football as a money making machine will live on as long as there are fans around the globe paying for their tv abonnements.

I completely hate this idea, but, and I don't believe the UEFA will follow through, if they really ban those teams from the national leagues that would at least make those more interesting. So when it starts I hope Bayern will also join.  ;)
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2155 on: April 19, 2021, 07:22:49 AM »
Let's be honest - as much as everyone hates this idea, where would the money and the public go? to see Manchester UTD vs Barcelona in the new Superleague, or in seeing Lazio vs Sassuolo in Italy or Real Betis vs Granada in Spain?

This would make for interesting championships once again, but then again, the value of the national leagues would drop quite a lot... it's annoying however to see teams winning only because of the big money behind them, with exploits like Leicester being a once in a carrer anomaly.

Let's look at the four semifinalists of this edition of the Champions League:
- Real Madrid, one of the richest clubs in the world
- Manchester City, a club that sucked until some foreign investors opened a pit of money for them
- PSG, a club that sucked until some foreign investors opened a pit of money for them
- Chelsea, a club that sucked until 20 years ago it wa put on the map but a rich foreign investor

There was no organic growth, no sportmanship base upon which to build upon - someday someone came, threw money at it, and boom, you win the championship!

One of my favorite moments in football will be the Chelsea vs Manchester UTD 2008 final, ended with a penalty shootout. Chelsea is set to win if they score, captain John Terry goes to kick the winning penalty, however he slips in the rain, misses and then the penalty shootout goes on, with Manchester winning.

That's the beauty of sport: you can have all the money of the world, but money can't prevent a player from "slipping on a banana peel" and losing.

This new super league will be a glorified group of friendly matches, of course money matters already now but at least in the Champions League if you lose, you go out, where's the risk in playing in a super league where you're member for life?

Also I don't know what the italian teams think they can get out of this, aside money - they're so obviously gonna be trashed in all the matches, no italian team is strong enough to win the Champions League right now and they will definitively be the sparring partners of this "top of the top" league. Congrats of giving up dominating in the national league for sucking a lot in a super league but hey, you get all the money of the world so who cares?

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2156 on: April 19, 2021, 07:36:43 AM »
What do you think? I might not see the bigger picture and just be stuck with traditions, but this looks like the death of football as we know it.

Yeah I don't like it one bit.  I've been looking at the reaction from the fans of the 6 English teams and they are uniformly negative - Is that the same in Italy MirrorMask?

On the positive my team Leicester City reached their first FA Cup final for 50 years yesterday (and they have never won it before) - tough final vs an inform Chelsea though.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2157 on: April 19, 2021, 07:58:02 AM »

Yeah I don't like it one bit.  I've been looking at the reaction from the fans of the 6 English teams and they are uniformly negative - Is that the same in Italy MirrorMask?

Yeah, 1% "well, let's wait and see" and 99% negative reactions, including the supporters of Juventus, AC Milan and Internazionale.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2158 on: April 19, 2021, 08:58:28 AM »
Yeah, I'm also against this idea.

On the positive my team Leicester City reached their first FA Cup final for 50 years yesterday (and they have never won it before) - tough final vs an inform Chelsea though.

Didn't Leicester City win the premier league absolutely out of the blue a few years ago? You guys seem to be doing really well.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2159 on: April 19, 2021, 09:14:19 AM »

Didn't Leicester City win the premier league absolutely out of the blue a few years ago? You guys seem to be doing really well.

Yeah!  That was an insane moment, we'll spent most of the years being a yo-yo team (a team that bounces between the Premiership and Championship) - to win the league was surreal.  I was born and spent my youth in Leicester, but my parents moved us away when I was about 12 (I'm 45 now...) but I've always supported them.  I live in Norfolk now so my local team in Norwich - who are very much my Second team (and ironically are another Yo-yo team - they are going to be promoted back to the Premiership, after being relegated last season!).

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2160 on: April 19, 2021, 09:20:39 AM »
I'm not too bothered either way. Higher-tier professional football has been obsessed with money and status for a good while now (which is the main reason I'm only a casual fan now, whereas I used to love it in my teens). It seems kind of dumb for these teams to do this separate thing instead of the Champions League/Europa League. But I don't see why it's such a big deal to have caused such a backlash. Those European tournaments are only an optional extra anyway, and this "super league" doesn't replace domestic leagues. And frankly it's not like the Champions League is that well designed, some countries' actual champions have to go through playoffs while 3rd place teams from other countries get straight in.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2161 on: April 19, 2021, 09:41:54 AM »

Yeah!  That was an insane moment, we'll spent most of the years being a yo-yo team (a team that bounces between the Premiership and Championship) - to win the league was surreal.  I was born and spent my youth in Leicester, but my parents moved us away when I was about 12 (I'm 45 now...) but I've always supported them.  I live in Norfolk now so my local team in Norwich - who are very much my Second team (and ironically are another Yo-yo team - they are going to be promoted back to the Premiership, after being relegated last season!).

:tup Good luck against Chelsea! I may even watch the game if I don't forget about it.

Gary Neville's rant on the super league subject:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sports/comments/mtjygr/gary_neville_addresses_the_idea_of_the_european/

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2162 on: April 19, 2021, 09:47:20 AM »
I'm not too bothered either way. Higher-tier professional football has been obsessed with money and status for a good while now (which is the main reason I'm only a casual fan now, whereas I used to love it in my teens). It seems kind of dumb for these teams to do this separate thing instead of the Champions League/Europa League. But I don't see why it's such a big deal to have caused such a backlash. Those European tournaments are only an optional extra anyway, and this "super league" doesn't replace domestic leagues. And frankly it's not like the Champions League is that well designed, some countries' actual champions have to go through playoffs while 3rd place teams from other countries get straight in.

While I do agree with this view to a certain point, we have seen some teams in recent years who were close to performing a miracle (Ajax, Lyon). The balance is skewed in favor of these giant teams and that is mostly due to how national leagues are built.
However, I don't think teams like Leicester, Sassuolo or other "little" teams should be left out and not have the opportunity to compete. We all love that Cinderella story, we all love to see these big clubs lose to the underdog and taking that away from football is just nonsense. I don't think this league will go far given how fans, media, players and even politicians are against it.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2163 on: April 19, 2021, 09:55:20 AM »

While I do agree with this view to a certain point, we have seen some teams in recent years who were close to performing a miracle (Ajax, Lyon). The balance is skewed in favor of these giant teams and that is mostly due to how national leagues are built.
However, I don't think teams like Leicester, Sassuolo or other "little" teams should be left out and not have the opportunity to compete. We all love that Cinderella story, we all love to see these big clubs lose to the underdog and taking that away from football is just nonsense.
For sure, but how much do those things happen in the Champions League? It's only ever won by the biggest clubs. I love how that happens in domestic leagues and cups, and this proposed new league doesn't change any domestic stuff (unless national leagues decide to "punish" the teams involved).

I don't think this league will go far given how fans, media, players and even politicians are against it.
Yeah, maybe. Just seems like a lot of nonsense really.

I be am boner inducing.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2164 on: April 19, 2021, 12:01:31 PM »
But I don't see why it's such a big deal to have caused such a backlash. Those European tournaments are only an optional extra anyway, and this "super league" doesn't replace domestic leagues. And frankly it's not like the Champions League is that well designed, some countries' actual champions have to go through playoffs while 3rd place teams from other countries get straight in.

Well, nothing is set in stone so far, and probably these declarations about banning from national leagues are just a dick measuring contest between UEFA and the rich clubs, but.... when would they even play the super league? the calendar is chocked full as it is, would they play every other week there's not the Champions League? what would be better for those teams, save themselves for their national league or screw the national championship (and play with the reserves there) because all that matters is the super league?

And if they really and seriously kick them out of the national league, we'd have Serie A contended by Atalanta and Naples, the Premier League by Leicester and West Ham, la Liga by Sevilla and... dunno, Granada? and so on, and these teams will contend the future Champions League.

Possible scenarios:

- The super league is just something extra. The calendar becomes even more saturated than what already is, and the big rich ones either stretch themselves thin, or say "ah, screw it" and play with reserves in their national leagues because the Tuesday super match is more important.

- The big rich teams gets excluded from the Champions League. You'd have Leicester, Sevilla and Lyon contending the European Cup, while the big names are playing the Super League.

- The big rich teams gets excluded from their national league as well. You see them play in their exclusive tournament while the national leagues as I said above are contended by West Ham, Sevilla, Atalanta and the likes.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2165 on: April 19, 2021, 01:02:33 PM »
The Germans are out.  Both Dortmund and B. Munich declare  they aren't going to be part of this.  Also rumoured that PSG might rule themselves out.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2166 on: April 19, 2021, 01:10:41 PM »
The Germans are out.  Both Dortmund and B. Munich declare  they aren't going to be part of this.  Also rumoured that PSG might rule themselves out.

I only believe this when the super league has really started and they still aren't part of it. Till then I see it as lip service to not anger the fans. Especially Bayern München has never shied away from more money.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2167 on: April 19, 2021, 01:36:17 PM »

However, I don't think teams like Leicester, Sassuolo or other "little" teams should be left out and not have the opportunity to compete. We all love that Cinderella story, we all love to see these big clubs lose to the underdog and taking that away from football is just nonsense.

For sure, but how much do those things happen in the Champions League? It's only ever won by the biggest clubs. I love how that happens in domestic leagues and cups, and this proposed new league doesn't change any domestic stuff (unless national leagues decide to "punish" the teams involved).

It will if the super rich get even richer. If those clubs get even better than they are right now then the local competition won't matter anymore.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2168 on: April 19, 2021, 01:47:45 PM »

PSG are already doing whatever they want money wise and UEFA lets them do it, so it's not a surprise they won't jump ship.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2169 on: April 19, 2021, 01:50:39 PM »
But I don't see why it's such a big deal to have caused such a backlash. Those European tournaments are only an optional extra anyway, and this "super league" doesn't replace domestic leagues. And frankly it's not like the Champions League is that well designed, some countries' actual champions have to go through playoffs while 3rd place teams from other countries get straight in.

Well, nothing is set in stone so far, and probably these declarations about banning from national leagues are just a dick measuring contest between UEFA and the rich clubs, but.... when would they even play the super league? the calendar is chocked full as it is, would they play every other week there's not the Champions League? what would be better for those teams, save themselves for their national league or screw the national championship (and play with the reserves there) because all that matters is the super league?
From the announcements, it's clearly a "mid-week" competition, i.e. in place of Champions League or Europa League. It's not actually a League, it's two groups, and then quarter finals onwards for knockout. It's not that different to the CL or EL (which also have "League" in the name but aren't leagues), just with fewer larger groups and the founding teams automatically qualify.

Some (though certainly far from all) of the angry reaction seems to be on the assumption that this will be a league and the teams will leave their domestic leagues, which isn't the case at all.

It will if the super rich get even richer. If those clubs get even better than they are right now then the local competition won't matter anymore.
Sure, but Arsenal are among those "super rich" teams and we suck. :P

I be am boner inducing.