Author Topic: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)  (Read 203894 times)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)
« Reply #1785 on: June 27, 2018, 09:21:38 AM »
Looks like Germany might need some help from this guy

When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1786 on: June 27, 2018, 09:24:27 AM »
So if Germany would go ahead and, dunno, score a couple of goals, that would be great and all.

I've already lost Iceland, I can't remain with only Denmark as alternative teams to root for  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1787 on: June 27, 2018, 09:33:51 AM »
WTF is happening??  :lol

Where is the Mexico I saw a couple of days ago?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1788 on: June 27, 2018, 10:00:44 AM »
Goodbye Weltmeister.

That was unexpected, what a result. Wat a sad exit for Germany indeed..
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1789 on: June 27, 2018, 10:03:15 AM »
Sweden!  :heart

And goodbye Germany  :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1790 on: June 27, 2018, 10:19:17 AM »
Sweden is leading their group and Germany is last, that is something I never thought 2 mins before the game.

Go Sweden!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1791 on: June 27, 2018, 10:19:59 AM »
First big dog out. Brazil under pressure now.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1792 on: June 27, 2018, 10:33:32 AM »
Wow... Mexico owes Korea a shit ton of tacos.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1793 on: June 27, 2018, 10:37:15 AM »
2002 champions Brazil were the last World Cup holders to make it out of the group stage at the next tournament. Italy (2010), Spain (2014) and now Germany have all been eliminated at the group stage.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1794 on: June 27, 2018, 10:53:57 AM »
I don't know what's happening anymore.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1795 on: June 27, 2018, 10:56:37 AM »
2002 champions Brazil were the last World Cup holders to make it out of the group stage at the next tournament. Italy (2010), Spain (2014) and now Germany have all been eliminated at the group stage.
This is the very first thought that popped into my head too, it's a curse! Gotta love Neuer though, it's the shit that he did in like the 95th minute that makes me love him. Nothing to lose anymore at that point in the game.

Even as someone that absolutely has no positive or negative feelings towards the German team, the moment we saw in the replay that the ball was passed by a German and not a South-Korean, which solidified the 1-0, hit me pretty hard. These guys are absolute giants on paper, never in my life deemed this possible.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1796 on: June 27, 2018, 11:01:58 AM »

Brazil in that occasion was the only breaker of a curse that had already begun: France, 1998 champions, was eliminated as well at the first round.

Third time in a row and fourth time out of five that the world champion does not make it out of the first round.

Also: second worst ever german experience in Russia. And this time it wasn't even winter!  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1797 on: June 27, 2018, 11:08:47 AM »
 :lol

With some luck, France might have a similar experience to t he one in Napoleonic times...

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1798 on: June 27, 2018, 11:29:57 AM »
Thinking about it, Sweden surviving the group stage makes me feel a liiiiiiiiittle better about Italy.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1799 on: June 27, 2018, 11:45:55 AM »
:lol

With some luck, France might have a similar experience to t he one in Napoleonic times...

The germans have been taken care of, but I don't think Putin will want to be the first to witness the french be victorious in Moscow.

About Italy, I'm quite sure we would have been trashed, so, if the final outcome was the third elimination in a row at the first round, it's better we didn't go. As I said earlier - no resentment against Sweden, they can win the whole thing for all I care. Blaming them for Italy's suckage would be silly.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1800 on: June 27, 2018, 12:09:20 PM »
Well that was some big fucked up shit.  >:( :(

But I think Germany could have played another 90 minutes and not scored a goal.

Congrats to Sweden.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1801 on: June 27, 2018, 12:19:44 PM »
About Italy, I'm quite sure we would have been trashed, so, if the final outcome was the third elimination in a row at the first round, it's better we didn't go. As I said earlier - no resentment against Sweden, they can win the whole thing for all I care. Blaming them for Italy's suckage would be silly.

Of course Italy's failure has way deeper roots, and tactical suicide was committed in Spain.

I feel slightly better because maybe Sweden wasn't exactly the pushover we should be ashamed losing to.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1802 on: June 27, 2018, 01:45:58 PM »
I'm watching this thread for some good Russia-related jokes, but so far there haven't been any. :biggrin:

Holy shit about Germany not making it though. If you asked me before the tournament, that would've been one team I'd bet on making it to playoffs. Oh well.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1803 on: June 27, 2018, 01:55:23 PM »
I'm watching this thread for some good Russia-related jokes, but so far there haven't been any. :biggrin:

Hey, I said it was the second worst experience for Germany in Russia  ;D

No lulz with Brazil tonight. It would have been truly another WTF moment if Serbia somehow would have bested them! (or even forced them to a tie to send them to Spain's half of the round of 16)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1804 on: June 27, 2018, 02:00:57 PM »

Hey, I said it was the second worst experience for Germany in Russia  ;D

I have heard this one a few times (like six or seven times actually) after their game against Mexico. :)

I've just realized there are no games this Friday, and Friday is the day we (well, me and friends) used to gather at the local bar to watch some group stage games. That sucks.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1805 on: June 27, 2018, 02:56:26 PM »
So.... what England and Belgium should do? the winner of their group is in the half of Brazil, France, Argentina and Portugal. The loser of the group is headed, save surprises, for a semi-final against Spain.

Should each team consider a tactical defeat? of course "careful what you wish" 'cause Colombia or Sweden could defeat them before they reach the semi-finals with the Spain, but avoiding a quarter final with Brazil and a semi final with either France, Argentina or Portugal should be "tempting"...

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1806 on: June 27, 2018, 03:49:28 PM »
So.... what England and Belgium should do? the winner of their group is in the half of Brazil, France, Argentina and Portugal. The loser of the group is headed, save surprises, for a semi-final against Spain.

Should each team consider a tactical defeat? of course "careful what you wish" 'cause Colombia or Sweden could defeat them before they reach the semi-finals with the Spain, but avoiding a quarter final with Brazil and a semi final with either Croatia should be "tempting"...
Hmmm you eliminated the best of those four :P it's not just that I'm Croatian and rooting for them, they played better than those three so far for sure. But they usually play better in group stages (recalling Portugal 2016 and Turkey 2008 :'( )
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1807 on: June 28, 2018, 01:07:12 AM »
Croatia is in the bottom half of the round of 16. The winner of England and Belgium's group has, as I said, Brazil first (quarter finals) and then Argentina, France or Portugal in the semifinals as likely opponents.

Croatia is in the other half, they will face Denmark and the winner of Spain vs Russia, AKA Spain, in the quarter finals. England and Belgium to meet Croatia should 1) arrive second in their group to begin with and 2) reach the semifinals.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 01:33:40 AM by MirrorMask »

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1808 on: June 28, 2018, 02:23:11 AM »
As a Spaniard myself, I wouldn't write off Russia so easily. Spain has been unpredictable for pretty much their entire history in football apart from those 3 consecutive euro/world/euro cups back in 2008-2012, and it's showing this tournament as well. They may have the better players, but I mean, we are all experiencing what a crazy, unpredictable tournament Russia 2018 has been so far :lol

Seriously has to be the most entertaining world cup ever for me so far, and we haven't even gotten to the knock-outs yet. I am kind of hoping for a Croatia/Belgium final, both teams that have showed some of the best performances so far this tournament, and I like both teams a lot.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1809 on: June 28, 2018, 02:27:19 AM »
I agree, I never thought I would have enjoyed a World Cup without Italy so much myself.

I "root" for Denmark because I loved Copenhagen when I visited it last year and anyway I'm fond of the nordic country, but I know their days are numbered. I hope there will be a first time winner this time around, one of the "lesser" teams finally deserves recognition.

And I want Portugal vs Argentina in the quarter finals just to see everyone going apeshit over Ronaldo vs Messi  ;D

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1810 on: June 28, 2018, 02:54:18 AM »
I don't know why I thought Croatia is there :facepalm:
Yep, this one's very enjoyable. I remember 2010 WC was so boring, most teams were playing defensive.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #1811 on: June 28, 2018, 03:30:15 AM »
As sad as it is for me that Germany is out, this is an interesting championship and the chances for a "new" team to win the cup are bigger then ever.

Probably the best performances so far were Croatia, Belgium and England, with the latter teams not having faced a serious opponent yet.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1812 on: June 28, 2018, 04:49:06 AM »
I agree, I never thought I would have enjoyed a World Cup without Italy so much myself.

Swap 'Italy' with 'The Netherlands' and the same goes for me, although I always have the possibility of rooting for England as well ;)

That said, I'm not really a football fan since club football doesn't really interest me, but I do follow what goes on there occasionally. With these sort of championships (European Championships and World Cups) I generally watch every single match, if possible. I really enjoy having them on in the background and following what's happening. Great stuff.

The kockout phase is going to be ridiculous, with all the heavy hitters on one side. I think we'll be in for some surprises. And here's me hoping that England - Belgium will not turn out to be a useless game I seriously hope both teams will play to win, even though the price for winning is a wolf in sheep's clothing.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #1813 on: June 28, 2018, 06:12:57 AM »

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1814 on: June 28, 2018, 09:55:22 AM »
I was really hoping Senegal would make it through. Bummer.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1815 on: June 28, 2018, 09:58:10 AM »
So was I. Boo!
Squ

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1816 on: June 28, 2018, 11:23:25 AM »
So, regardless of who will qualify as first between England and Belgium, the second half of the round of 16 will have 7 european teams out of 8, Colombia is the intruder. It's already certain that an european team will be in the semifinal, and if Colombia loses against England or Belgium, we'll already know from the round of 16 that there will be an european team in the final (even though statistically that's not hard to predict before any World Cup).

England and Belgium should think if Colombia is a "safe" enough adversary worthy of a tactical defeat to avoid the half of Brazil, France, Argentina and Portugal... but as I said before, careful what you wish, you just may get it!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1817 on: June 28, 2018, 11:54:38 AM »
I'd say defeat is definitely more profitable, which Belgium apparently agrees with since they have pretty much their B team as the starting 11 IIRC from what I heard this afternoon.

There's the argument that the top teams haven't performed well yet, but the scary thing is that if they pull it togethern they DO have the quality to be incredibly dangerous. From what we've seen from all those players in their respective teams, the top countries should always be forces to be reckoned with, no matter their performance so far.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1818 on: June 28, 2018, 11:59:56 AM »
Here come the two most bizarre games of the tournament so far, though I'm hoping for some good football.
Squ

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1819 on: June 28, 2018, 12:00:08 PM »
Going second in that group is the way to avoid Brazil, France, Uruguay, Portugal, Argentina, México and Japan (?)  :lol