Author Topic: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)  (Read 203755 times)

Online MirrorMask

Re: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread (v. It's starting again!)
« Reply #1750 on: June 25, 2018, 02:54:48 PM »
Damn, what a luck for Spain! the same moment they award a lousy penalty for Iran, they equalize against Morocco.... I totally didn't see it coming!

For a brief moment Portugal was winning the group and was in the "good half" of the round of 16... now Spain will watch all the good teams eliminate each other.

And tomorrow, GO ICELAND GO  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1751 on: June 26, 2018, 05:00:11 AM »
If they are going to change a decision based on VAR, the players, coaching staff, the crowd and the media need to respect the referee's final decision. Also, I think they could do with capping the number of VAR challenges a team is allowed to make. Say, one or two challenges per team per half. If you're successful, you keep your challenges. Most other sports with the challenge system, like tennis, cricket, NFL, limit the number of challenges a team is allowed.

Offline Bruinsfan25

« Reply #1752 on: June 26, 2018, 05:10:38 AM »
If they are going to change a decision based on VAR, the players, coaching staff, the crowd and the media need to respect the referee's final decision. Also, I think they could do with capping the number of VAR challenges a team is allowed to make. Say, one or two challenges per team per half. If you're successful, you keep your challenges. Most other sports with the challenge system, like tennis, cricket, NFL, limit the number of challenges a team is allowed.

I didn't realize teams made those challenges. I assumed it was up to the referees in the booth to notify the ref on the field.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1753 on: June 26, 2018, 05:24:19 AM »
I'm pretty sure that the teams or coaches can't decide whether or not the VAR is involved. That is up to the referee of the VARs themselves.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1754 on: June 26, 2018, 05:28:42 AM »
Yep, it's up to referees.
Couple of interesting matches today. One spot open in both groups, anything is possible in group D.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1755 on: June 26, 2018, 06:04:59 AM »

I didn't realize teams made those challenges. I assumed it was up to the referees in the booth to notify the ref on the field.

Right now what happens is that the people in the VAR room will let the ref know about something and the ref then goes and watches the screen and makes a decision. However FIFA are analyzing having a challenge system similar to the one in Tennis.

I like the VAR system, the problem is that it is not correctly applied. In rugby, there is a second ref looking at the screen that can tell the main ref whether something went wrong or not, no need for him to go and watch a screen. Lots of people say that something like this would make refs in the court look weak and that is just bullcrap, a ref is there to make sure rules are followed and if he needs to get help from others, like he already does with the 2 assistants in the field, then so be it.
On the other hand, lots of people are blaming VAR for incorrect calls, however refs are still the ones who make decisions. CR7 should have been sent off yesterday after he elbowed the Iran guy, but the ref didn't have the balls to do it.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1756 on: June 26, 2018, 06:36:43 AM »
Yup, you don't want to red card Nike in The FIFA World Cup.

Trouble with the VAR protocol is it can only intervene in "case of blatant referee mistake", which is a pretty discretional and shady criterium given the VAR is made  by other refs, not specifically qualified and trained VAR operators.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1757 on: June 26, 2018, 06:50:55 AM »
Sorry for the brutality of the off topic, but Indiscipline, what your sig is supposed to mean? that the emperor talked out of his ass not really being an expert on music and Mozart called him out on that?

(I'll stay in topic by adding that the yellow card to CR7 was a blatant "I can't pretend I didn't see it but I can't / don't have the courage to send off the most famous player of the tournament" moment)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #1758 on: June 26, 2018, 06:59:27 AM »
And that elbow check is one of the reasons why I can't stand Ronaldo. A player as good as him doesn't have the need to play this unfair, and if you do, stand up to it and don't complain about a yellow card, be lucky that is wasn't red. Goes to other players as well.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1759 on: June 26, 2018, 07:03:15 AM »
Sorry for the brutality of the off topic, but Indiscipline, what your sig is supposed to mean? that the emperor talked out of his ass not really being an expert on music and Mozart called him out on that?

(I'll stay in topic by adding that the yellow card to CR7 was a blatant "I can't pretend I didn't see it but I can't / don't have the courage to send off the most famous player of the tournament" moment)

You can see it as the perfect answer to many superficial complaints about DT music. And it says "Majesty" too.

On topic: you're very right, and that's a disgrace we should get rid of, especially in UEFA CL.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1760 on: June 26, 2018, 07:30:50 AM »
I just found it hilarious that Moroccan players (and I believe even the coach) were complaining about the VAR system giving Spain the second goal. Okay, Morocco played amazing and Spain did pretty much the opposite of that most of the time, but the goal that clearly wasn't offside according to line-technology has nothing to do with it.

Also, that yellow card for CR was total bullshit. Like others said, if the referee recognizes that an actual foul was made by him (which clearly he did, cause he gave a yellow card???) then how can you possibly give someone a yellow card for purposely hitting them without the ball being anywhere close? That might be the most amateurish referee mistake I have ever seen in professional football.

Anyway, Group C next up (don't really care about this one, honestly my least favourite group of the tournament so far) and tonight possibly my favourite group of the tournament since it's so damn unpredictable. Was rooting for Nigeria, but I also really like Croatia and (in former tournaments) Argentina. I wouldn't be devastated if Argentina went out even though Aguero is one of my all-time favourite players. Their defensive side is possibly at an all-time low right now, and Messi is kinda crumbling under the pressure it seems.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #1761 on: June 26, 2018, 07:51:38 AM »
I just found it hilarious that Moroccan players (and I believe even the coach) were complaining about the VAR system giving Spain the second goal. Okay, Morocco played amazing and Spain did pretty much the opposite of that most of the time, but the goal that clearly wasn't offside according to line-technology has nothing to do with it.

From what I heard, they don't complain that it was offsides, but that the corner kick had to be taken from the other side, because the ball went out there. You clearly see that some players aren't aware that the game commences because they expect the corner to be from the other side.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1762 on: June 26, 2018, 08:46:22 AM »

From what I heard, they don't complain that it was offsides, but that the corner kick had to be taken from the other side, because the ball went out there. You clearly see that some players aren't aware that the game commences because they expect the corner to be from the other side.

That's not a problem with the VAR. That is no what the system was designed for. They should have been paying more attention, but hey, it's a lot easier to blame the new scapegoat than admit that you made a mistake.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #1763 on: June 26, 2018, 09:01:54 AM »
When you play a corner from the wrong side and the rules say, that this is forbidden, the referee should have noticed. It's not a thing for the VARs, but if they review the scene because of a theoretical offside goal, they could (should?) have noticed this too. I can understand the anger of the moroccon coach.

Spain played it clever but not exactly classy and fair.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1764 on: June 26, 2018, 09:06:19 AM »
Again, that's not what VAR is for. I understand them being angry, but they should be angry at the ref, not at the system. I see a lot of people and players complaining but the truth is the system is working perfectly, the problem is that refs keep making wrong decisions even when presented with evidence.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1765 on: June 26, 2018, 09:12:06 AM »
I see a lot of people and players complaining but the truth is the system is working perfectly, the problem is that refs keep making wrong decisions even when presented with evidence.

So basically football is like politics?

:biggrin:

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1766 on: June 26, 2018, 09:20:43 AM »
When was it not like politics  :P

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1767 on: June 26, 2018, 09:25:20 AM »
Meanwhile, Peru is turning France - Denmark into a more (relatively) useless match than it already was. 2-0 to Australia as a farewell to the Cup.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1768 on: June 26, 2018, 12:28:09 PM »
Welcome Messi to the World Cup

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1769 on: June 26, 2018, 12:52:20 PM »
Welcome Messi to the World Cup

Ronaldo scores 3 goals, Messi misses a penalty.

Then Ronaldo scores a goal, Messi doesn't achieve anything.

And then Ronaldo misses a penalty, is lucky to have not been sent off, and Messi scores.

Do they take their strength from the same fountain of awesomeness or something? and if one fails to access it the other one does?  :lol it seems that when one sucks the other is good and the other way around so far.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1770 on: June 26, 2018, 01:02:29 PM »
I like this last configuration better, let's hope it stays that way

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1771 on: June 26, 2018, 01:09:02 PM »
I like this last configuration better, let's hope it stays that way

Well, the man who owns said fountain is on the stands rooting for it.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1772 on: June 26, 2018, 01:47:14 PM »
If anybody has never watched a World Cup, even in the Group stage, you are missing something special. WOW Argentina

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1773 on: June 26, 2018, 01:59:17 PM »
I'm astonished. Now to suffer for another 90 minutes.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1774 on: June 26, 2018, 02:09:01 PM »
Like I said way earlier, I have no horse in the World Cup, as USA and Italy never got there. I just enjoys the game.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1775 on: June 26, 2018, 02:49:28 PM »
And just like yesterday, the final minutes screw up my hopes. No glory for Iceland, no lulz with Argentina.

So, now It's Uruguay vs Portugal heading against France vs Argentina.... Ronaldo vs Messi in the quarter finals?

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1776 on: June 26, 2018, 02:50:51 PM »
Highly unlikely, but this WC has been nuts so far so who knows.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1777 on: June 26, 2018, 03:15:39 PM »
I would have loved Nigeria in the round of 16, but that’s not how it played out. Shame.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1778 on: June 26, 2018, 11:17:44 PM »
I was rooting for Nigeria kind of, but am glad Argentina didnt get eliminated as a result of a super lousy penalty decision. However much I like underdogs, that was an especially bad game by Nigeria.

Still not convinced by anyone but Banega in Argentina's squad though, but the new keeper seems decent (compared to Romero)
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1779 on: June 27, 2018, 12:31:57 AM »
Based on the three games both teams played in the group stage, I really do think Nigeria deserved it more than Argentina. Unfortunately with these kind of things, it's only the result that counts, not what led to the result. I think France has an easy opponent in Argentina and I think Croatia might come pretty far.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1780 on: June 27, 2018, 12:59:13 AM »
Back briefly to VAR: In the end, it's still down to the referee himself to make the final decision; VAR just gives him another tool to aid in his decision making. But, because in the end it's still down to a human making a decision, controversy will always be nearby.

I always thought that if the officials in the stadium are unable to use the replays to make a decision, then the TV audience should not be allowed to see those replays. But we're way too far down the road to stop that now.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1781 on: June 27, 2018, 01:11:14 AM »
I think France has an easy opponent in Argentina and I think Croatia might come pretty far.

There will likely be a Croatia vs Spain quarter final. Who knows what will happen when a team in good spirits and shape meet a team that had to struggle with an already eliminated Morocco.

Today: Switzerland trying to win the group against Costa Rica, while the lulz lurks over Brazil - Serbia; Brazil needs a draw to qualify, but a win to pass as first. And possibly have a chance for revenge with Germany, but Germany's group situation is a mess and will be hotly contended until the last second.

It will be exciting, Mexico, Germany and Sweden have more or less equal chances of winning the group, be second, or be eliminated. Less likely is South Korea trashing Germany so bad that they come second for goal difference (this requires Mexico soundly beating Sweden as well).

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1782 on: June 27, 2018, 05:57:18 AM »
Still not convinced by anyone but Banega in Argentina's squad though, but the new keeper seems decent (compared to Romero)

Everyone in the country had been asking for Armani to be the starting keeper as he is better than the other two we have in the squad, and while Romero doesn't play for United he has more often than not saved Argentina's ass.

Regarding Banega, yesterday was his first really good game for Argentina and even then there were stretches of it were he was nowhere to be seen.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1783 on: June 27, 2018, 06:41:19 AM »
Let's see if it turns out like Goycoechea for Pumpido in 1990.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1784 on: June 27, 2018, 09:21:19 AM »
Yay!!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls