Author Topic: Y&T, Don Dokken, Geoff Tate, Testament, etc.: Year Years' Eve show  (Read 5557 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
For those who don't know or may have missed it, Phil Kennemore, bassist and founding member of Y&T was diagnosed with cancer earlier this year and has been going through aggressive treatment.  They guys in Y&T and a ton of special guests put on a benefit show for Phil on NYE that, from all accounts, was a blast.  From the vids I've seen, Geoff is doing the typical, neck up, straining.  But all in all, seems like a great show.  Too bad I missed it.  Here is Dave Meniketti's recap:

Quote from: Dave Meniketti
Just thought I would put this on here for those that would have loved to have been there last night and wondered how it all went down. I think this is right mostly, but it was a very long day and night and the band was truly winging it at the end of the night so here ya go.

(1) Acoustic set by Ron Keel

(2) Acoustic set by Don Dokken

(3) 5 song set by Y&T as follows:
Hurricane
Don't Wanna Lose
Shine On
Lipstick & Leather
I'm Coming Home

(4) Y&T Songs with guests:
Hard Times - Y&T with Geoff Tate (lead vocals), Loren Gold (keys)
R&R's Gonna Save The World - Y&T with Geoff Tate (lead vocals)
Don't Stop Runnin' - Y&T with Sean McNabb (bass)
Open Fire - Y&T with Ron Keel (lead vocals)
Black Tiger - Y&T with Jimmy DeGrasso (drums), Ron Keel (lead vocals), Joey Alves (gtr)
Midnight in Tokyo - Y&T with Jimmy DeGrasso (drums), Joey Alves (gtr), Loren Gold (keys)
Contagious - Y&T with Jimmy DeGrasso (drums), Loren Gold (keys)
Meanstreak - Y&T with Vinnie Appice (drums)
Eyes of a Stranger - Y&T with Vinnie Appice (drums)
25 Hours a Day - Y&T with Bobby Blotzer (drums)
Beautiful Dreamer - Y&T with Bobby Blotzer (drums), Don Dokken (bkgd vocals)
Hungry for Rock - Leonard Haze (drums), Joey Alves (gtr), Brad Lang (bass), Me (vocals and gtr)
My Way or the Highway - Leonard Haze (drums), Joey Alves (gtr), Brad Lang (bass), Me (vocals and gtr)
Alcohol - Leonard Haze (drums), Joey Alves (gtr), Brad Lang (bass), Me (gtr), John Nymann (lead vocals)

(5) - Silent Auction winners announced and New Years Eve announcement by Greg Kihn and Tim Jeffries

(6) Y&T, Greg Kihn, and Loren Gold playing Auld Lang Syne

(7) All Star Jams
Breakup Song - Y&T with Greg Kihn (vocals), Loren Gold (keys)
Silent Lucidity - Geoff Tate (vocals), Vinnie Appice (drums), John Nymann (acoustic gtr), Brad Lang (bass), Loren Gold (keys), Terry Lauderdale (gtr)
Jet City Woman - Geoff Tate (vocals), Bobby Blotzer (drums), Sean McNabb (bass), Loren Gold (keys), Terry Lauderdale (gtr)
Ace of Spades - most of Testament with guest guitarist (Jeremy Epp)
Testament song (don't remember what song they played)  [by bosk1:  it was Electric Crown]
Rainbow in the Dark - Me (lead vocals), Vinnie Appice (drums), Brad Lang (bass), Loren Gold (keys), Terrry Lauderdale (gtr)

(7) Y&T End Set:
Hurricane
Dirty Girl
Winds of Change - with Sean McNabb (bass)
Blind Patriot
I'll Cry for You - with Loren Gold (keys)
Summertime Girls - with Loren Gold (keys)
Forever - with Don Dokken and Geoff Tate (background vocals)

Breakfast served, and the end of the affair.

I may have messed up and forgotten a thing or two, but this was the basic show. The music lasted from 9pm to 1:40am. A ton of fun, goof-ups, spontaneous brilliance - you know - fun was had by all!

Most importantly is that this was a very successful event that turned in a lot of funds for the Kennemore family, with our great fans both buying $75 tickets and giving generous offerings to the Auction Items at the show. An absolutely amazing outpouring of love sent Phil's way all day and all night.

Thank you again to Mike and Julia Jafari, the owners of The Avalon, for donating 100% of the door to Phil.

A big thank you to Loren Gold, who took on the musical director job by putting all the talent into the right places.

And a HUGE thank you to Jill Meniketti for spending countless hours putting all the pieces in place for this show. In what could have been a recipe for disaster with all the talent, her work before and during the show made this into an amazingly well tuned orderly event. Overall, there was about 2 months of planning and work that went into a night that seemed to go pretty fast after all was said and done.

Cheers to the musicians that donated both their talent and spent their own monies to travel to the event from all over the west coast. That kind of love and commitment can not be measured. We love you guys for doing this and you showed everyone just how much of a class act you all truly are.

I am so tired today, especially since we basically played during a 4 hour sound check and a 4+ hour show, but I have this very content feeling today that all of our efforts have been achieved in the way I had hoped.

Love you all, and hope for a great 2011.

Cheers.
-Dave

Not sure who was playing guitar with Testament during their songs.  Dave identifies one of them as a guest, but from the vid I saw on YouTube, the other one didn't look like either Alex or Eric.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Y&T, Don Dokken, Geoff Tate, Testament, etc.: Year Years' Eve show
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 08:01:34 PM »

Just thought I would put this on here for those that would have loved to have been there last night and wondered how it all went down. I think this is right mostly, but it was a very long day and night and the band was truly winging it at the end of the night so here ya go.

(1) Acoustic set by Ron Keel

(2) Acoustic set by Don Dokken

(3) 5 song set by Y&T as follows:
Hurricane
Don't Wanna Lose
Shine On
Lipstick & Leather
I'm Coming Home

(4) Y&T Songs with guests:
Hard Times - Y&T with Geoff Tate (lead vocals), Loren Gold (keys)
R&R's Gonna Save The World - Y&T with Geoff Tate (lead vocals)
Don't Stop Runnin' - Y&T with Sean McNabb (bass)
Open Fire - Y&T with Ron Keel (lead vocals)
Black Tiger - Y&T with Jimmy DeGrasso (drums), Ron Keel (lead vocals), Joey Alves (gtr)
Midnight in Tokyo - Y&T with Jimmy DeGrasso (drums), Joey Alves (gtr), Loren Gold (keys)
Contagious - Y&T with Jimmy DeGrasso (drums), Loren Gold (keys)
Meanstreak - Y&T with Vinnie Appice (drums)
Eyes of a Stranger - Y&T with Vinnie Appice (drums)
25 Hours a Day - Y&T with Bobby Blotzer (drums)
Beautiful Dreamer - Y&T with Bobby Blotzer (drums), Don Dokken (bkgd vocals)
Hungry for Rock - Leonard Haze (drums), Joey Alves (gtr), Brad Lang (bass), Me (vocals and gtr)
My Way or the Highway - Leonard Haze (drums), Joey Alves (gtr), Brad Lang (bass), Me (vocals and gtr)
Alcohol - Leonard Haze (drums), Joey Alves (gtr), Brad Lang (bass), Me (gtr), John Nymann (lead vocals)

(5) - Silent Auction winners announced and New Years Eve announcement by Greg Kihn and Tim Jeffries

(6) Y&T, Greg Kihn, and Loren Gold playing Auld Lang Syne

(7) All Star Jams
Breakup Song - Y&T with Greg Kihn (vocals), Loren Gold (keys)
Silent Lucidity - Geoff Tate (vocals), Vinnie Appice (drums), John Nymann (acoustic gtr), Brad Lang (bass), Loren Gold (keys), Terry Lauderdale (gtr)
Jet City Woman - Geoff Tate (vocals), Bobby Blotzer (drums), Sean McNabb (bass), Loren Gold (keys), Terry Lauderdale (gtr)
Ace of Spades - most of Testament with guest guitarist (Jeremy Epp)
Testament song (don't remember what song they played)  [by bosk1:  it was Electric Crown]
Rainbow in the Dark - Me (lead vocals), Vinnie Appice (drums), Brad Lang (bass), Loren Gold (keys), Terrry Lauderdale (gtr)

(7) Y&T End Set:
Hurricane
Dirty Girl
Winds of Change - with Sean McNabb (bass)
Blind Patriot
I'll Cry for You - with Loren Gold (keys)
Summertime Girls - with Loren Gold (keys)
Forever - with Don Dokken and Geoff Tate (background vocals)

(8) Y&T with some dude with a sweatshirt tied around his waste with a great rendidtion of War Pigs.

Breakfast served, and the end of the affair.

I may have messed up and forgotten a thing or two, but this was the basic show. The music lasted from 9pm to 1:40am. A ton of fun, goof-ups, spontaneous brilliance - you know - fun was had by all!

Most importantly is that this was a very successful event that turned in a lot of funds for the Kennemore family, with our great fans both buying $75 tickets and giving generous offerings to the Auction Items at the show. An absolutely amazing outpouring of love sent Phil's way all day and all night.

Thank you again to Mike and Julia Jafari, the owners of The Avalon, for donating 100% of the door to Phil.

A big thank you to Loren Gold, who took on the musical director job by putting all the talent into the right places.

And a HUGE thank you to Jill Meniketti for spending countless hours putting all the pieces in place for this show. In what could have been a recipe for disaster with all the talent, her work before and during the show made this into an amazingly well tuned orderly event. Overall, there was about 2 months of planning and work that went into a night that seemed to go pretty fast after all was said and done.

Cheers to the musicians that donated both their talent and spent their own monies to travel to the event from all over the west coast. That kind of love and commitment can not be measured. We love you guys for doing this and you showed everyone just how much of a class act you all truly are.

I am so tired today, especially since we basically played during a 4 hour sound check and a 4+ hour show, but I have this very content feeling today that all of our efforts have been achieved in the way I had hoped.

Love you all, and hope for a great 2011.

Cheers.
-Dave

:biggrin:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 10:35:45 PM »
:|
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 02:32:26 AM »
Woul've loved to see that!
And get well Phil.
Y&T are still one of the best live acts out there.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 04:22:58 AM »
Looks like one hell of a great Year Years' Eve show.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 04:25:16 AM »
Watched a couple of clips from this yesterday, seemed like an excellent bash.  Dave's version of Rainbow in the Dark was killer.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 07:12:37 AM »
Dave's version of Rainbow in the Dark was killer.

Yeah.  I think this is the second time they've done it (they played it right after Ronnie passed away as well), and Dave really brings it on that tune.  The guy who does the solo, Terry Lauderdale, was in my band for awhile.  Just a beast of a player. 

Offline Keyboardframe

• Banned from P/R
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 08:15:31 AM »
This should probably be moved to a different thread, but...

It is with profound sadness and disbelief that I tell you that my best buddy for 37 years passed away this morning, January 7, 2011 at 1am at Stanford Hospital. Bravely and steadfastly battling the horrible spectacle of lung cancer, at the end he was surrounded by his family members, and the Y&T family up until his final breath.

All the beautiful things that I could say about my buddy Phil could never be summed up in a short sentence or two, and I promise that I will be back to say so much more about how I feel about him and his talents in due time. But for now, at 3am, after just having returned home from his passing, let me at least put this out there.

Phil Kennemore was not only a sweet and passionate man with his life, friends and family, but as an artist, he also had that rare ability to say what was on his mind with the most eloquent, clever, and to-the-point lyrics, yet could turn it on it's head in a second with some other viewpoint on reality and nail the point dead center. He was able to do what very few can - say the things that others have been thinking, but could never quite seem to put into words. He has always had a keen knack for doing that.

As a musician, with those huge fingers, his bass playing was always loud, strong, and deep, filling the largest or smallest of stages equally.

He had an amazingly strong life force that has influenced everyone who ever had the opportunity to be called a friend of his. I am forever grateful for our lifelong friendship, that was always in place throughout the worst and best of times. I will miss his sense of humor, his amazing wit, but most of all I will always miss not seeing him to my left on the stages I will play from this moment forward.

Yes, he was one of the class guys on this planet, and in this business, and I will always do what I can to spread the legacy of Phil Kennemore across the globe on every stage that I land on.

You know how much I love you Phil, and you knew how much your fans and fellow musicians loved and respected you. There was nothing left unsaid. You had a rich and wonderful life and I can only tell you that I was happy to have been alongside you every step of the glorious way.

Cheers to you, Phil.

Your friend forever,
-Dave

Fuck. :'(

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 08:18:10 AM »
I love Y & T

RIP Phil K

He was a really nice guy, I got to meet him back in about 1985..what a show
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 11:03:40 AM »
I've met him a few times.  Really, really nice guy.  Wow.  In 2007, I had the pleasure of getting to sing onstage with them.  I have a framed copy of the setlist signed by all the guys...except Phil.  He was feeling under the weather and didn't feel up to coming out for a meet & greet after the show.  I always figured I'd be able to get it signed sometime later.  :(  Missing a signature on a set list is such a small, insignificant thing.  And yet it's a poignant reminder that in even the smallest things, we should try to live our lives to make the most of every opportunity to touch and be touched by someone else's life.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 11:08:53 AM by bösk1 »

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 11:10:52 AM »
I've met him a few times.  Really, really nice guy.  Wow.  In 2007, I had the pleasure of getting to sing onstage with them.  I have a framed copy of the setlist signed by all the guys...except Phil.  He was feeling under the weather and didn't feel up to coming out for a meet & greet after the show.  I always figured I'd be able to get it signed sometime later.  :(

Bosk1,
wow...thats really great that you got to be on stage with them,..yes, he was a nice man, the whole band was very nice when I met them, Dave really is so talented, between his playing and singing he is quite intense on stage to watch.,such a shame about Phil ..RIP

I met them around the time of Meanstreak, and In Rock We Trust .., I saw them a few times during that era...very underated band.
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 11:41:52 AM »
That was a great time to have seen them.  Interesting connection:  The song I chose to sing with them was Meanstreak.  Here's my frame:

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 11:43:17 AM »
 Bosk1,
WOW!!!!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thats really AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 11:43:56 AM »
The song I chose to sing with them was Meanstreak.

I thought you did War Pigs?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 11:45:20 AM »
Was just looking back through my Photobucket, and lookey what I found!  Know who the little guy is with the red guitar?  That's Joey Alves.  That was his first time playing a guitar onstage in over a decade after he went through his own serious health issues.  And that's me on lead vox right up there with him.  We were playing Hurricane.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 11:45:59 AM »

See, now that's just plain wrong.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 11:46:13 AM »
Rescue Me is such a great tune..so intense

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2011, 11:47:57 AM »

Oops.  My bad.  That must've been the band down the street.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 11:48:23 AM »
yep..Joey used that red guitar many times!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2011, 11:52:57 AM »

Oops.  My bad.  That must've been the band down the street.

:lol  Nice.  You either have a great memory for obscure things...or you've bookmarked that and watch it every day.

yep..Joey used that red guitar many times!!!

Here's a story about that guitar.  After Joey got sick, he gradually sold off and/or lost all of his gear and got completely out of music altogether.  In the months leading up to that event above, a long-time friend of his who had been a roadie for Y&T in the early years secretly took up a collection from a bunch of us on the Y&T message board, after months of searching, managed to track down that very guitar in a pawn shop in Northern California, bought it back, and gave it to Joey along wiht an amp for his birthday.  Joey brought it out for that gig.  For those of us who knew what he had been through and how long he had been away from music altogether, getting him up onstage for those few songs with one of his very own original guitars was incredibly touching.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2011, 12:14:17 PM »
thats awesome Bosk1, about Joeys guitar!!! if my memory serves me he had a les paul type in red ( but not a les paul, it was thinner) that was some sort of Gibson, I think..and he had the red Gibson SG

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2011, 12:25:33 PM »
LP Junior.  He had a couple of those.  It's the same basic shape as a LP, but thinner and with a flat instead of convex front.  He had a yellow and black sunburst LP Jr. he used to play a lot was well (if I recall, he uses that one a lot in the S.F. Civic video), and I think he may have had a solid black one as well, but I may be confusing it with the black Kramer.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2011, 12:44:20 PM »
LP Junior.  He had a couple of those.  It's the same basic shape as a LP, but thinner and with a flat instead of convex front.  He had a yellow and black sunburst LP Jr. he used to play a lot was well (if I recall, he uses that one a lot in the S.F. Civic video), and I think he may have had a solid black one as well, but I may be confusing it with the black Kramer.

I think thats the one Bosk1!

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2011, 01:14:23 PM »
:lol  Nice.  You either have a great memory for obscure things...or you've bookmarked that and watch it every day.

Just a memory for random things, I guess.  :lol

Okay, since I have (very bad on my part) STILL not gotten around to doing a thorough enough researching of Y&T, I at least set up a Y&T station in Pandora, figuring it'd probably play several from them and, of course, similar music.  So far, I've heard "Open Fire", "Hell or High Water", "Blind Patriot", and "She's a Liar".  :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2011, 01:25:15 PM »
Pretty good selection so far.

It just hit me a minute ago that with Phil's passing, Dave is the only original member left in the band.  :(

They were originally planning a DVD shoot for their upcoming shows in Japan and recently said they were still going to play, but were going to put off the DVD shoot until Phil recovered and could be back with them.  Obviously, it's WAY too early to ask Dave, but I'm wondering to myself whether he'll change his mind now that there's no possibility of Phil coming back, and just do the DVD. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2011, 01:44:29 PM »
Bosk, Coz gets credit for the War Pigs reference and I don't. I posted it first! >:(
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2011, 01:50:41 PM »
I gave you your credit.  But I still can't figure out why whoever that is would soil a perfectly good sweatshirt by wrapping his "waste" with it.  And the smell...does it ever come out?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2011, 01:53:39 PM »
 :facepalm:
 :lol

Where's spell checking Samsara when I need him?

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2011, 01:58:17 PM »
The funny thing about it is that when you made that post, I didn't immediately see your War Pigs reference.  I didn't see it until after I made mine.  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2011, 02:14:08 PM »
I just went over to the Y&T site to post my thoughts and read others'.  I wasn't ready to go over there earlier.  Obviously, posts from other fans are touching.  But some of the stuff said by his bandmates and guys like Stef Burns, Eric Martin, and Joey Alves just about made me lose it.  :(

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2011, 02:17:33 PM »
Holy shit, this is terrible news.  Can't believe Phil has passed, and that really didn't take very long.   :sad:

Fuck cancer! Will be cranking some old school Y&T tonight.  This is just terrible.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2011, 02:21:37 PM »
Fuck cancer! Will be cranking some old school Y&T tonight.  This is just terrible.

Good idea.  I'm spinning their very first song as we speak. 

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2011, 03:54:34 AM »
Was just looking back through my Photobucket, and lookey what I found!  Know who the little guy is with the red guitar?  That's Joey Alves.  That was his first time playing a guitar onstage in over a decade after he went through his own serious health issues.  And that's me on lead vox right up there with him.  We were playing Hurricane.

Hey!  That's me on the left!

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2011, 08:42:17 AM »
Thats wonderful Fiery Winds!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2011, 11:24:23 AM »
Some really touching recent pics of Phil and Dave:  https://www.meniketti.com/vforum/showthread.php?t=33081

That post really made me smile.