Author Topic: Nick-Era Spock's Beard Appreciation  (Read 3206 times)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Nick-Era Spock's Beard Appreciation
« on: January 06, 2011, 04:02:50 PM »
I've recently been really getting into Spock's Beard. While I do like some songs from the Neal Morse era (and will probably grow to like more over time), the majority of  :omg: moments for me have come in the songs from Nick d'Virgilio's leadership. Hence, this appreciation thread.

I first heard the name 'Spock's Beard' through Transatlantic. But it wasn't until I noticed the Spock's Beard survivor that I started to pay attention to them. And when I 'joined' the P/S board, that survivor had just started the Nick-era Finals, so I put together a playlist of the songs that were in the final. I listened to 1 or 2 of them, and then I came to 'On A Perfect Day'. The melodies (particularly that of the chorus) really got me, and I reached the next stage of new-band-discovery: that of finding a song that you really like.

A few weeks passed by, and since just before Christmas, I've really grown to like this band. Their use of vocal counterpoint in some songs (the prime example from the Nick era being Sid's Boys Choir) is remarkable.

My favourite songs of theirs include, in addition to the aforementioned:

A Flash Before My Eyes (particularly She Is Everything)
Rearranged
From the Darkness

I've still got a long way to go in discovering the rest of the Beard's output, but if that is anything like what I've heard so far, it'll be a great ride.

Show your appreciation for recent Spock's Beard!  :hefdaddy

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Nick-Era Spock's Beard Appreciation
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 04:11:59 PM »
I know I'm in the minority here, but I'd say Octane and X are stronger than any Morse era album I've heard and I generally think losing Morse didn't end up hurting them any at the end of the day.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 04:15:10 PM »
Appreciated!

I've recently been spinning X, and even 8 months after it's release, it still sounds fresh and interesting to my ears! Definitely my favorite release of 2010! Nick and the boys churned out an amazing album that cross-pollinates Old SB and New SB with other styles and feels that create a very unique but familiar sound throughout the whole album.

Before X came out, Octane was my favorite Nick-Era SB album! I love "A Flash Before My Eyes", and actually while the other 5 tracks are pretty good (especially "NWC"), it was the 5 tracks on the Bonus Disc that really caught my ear, so if anyone has the single disc version, definitely seek out the 2-disc set because there are songs they REALLY should've put on the main disc. And actually, I burned a CD-r of the main album + the first 5 tracks of the bonus disc, and they fit all onto one 80-minute CD-r! Perfect for the car!

Feel Euphoria and Spock's Beard took me a bit longer to appreciate. I don't think it was until a couple months before the release of X that I truly appreciated those albums and every song on them. I really enjoy the multi-part epics they've made on those albums ("A Guy Named Sid" and "As Far As The Mind Can See"), as well as some of their ballad-y songs ("Ghosts Of Autumn" and "Hereafter"). They really seem to do those quite well, but I also LOVE their rockers ("Onomatopoeia" and "On A Perfect Day").

I also think it's quite interesting that they've made instrumentals the 2nd song on the last three albums: "NWC" follows "A Flash Before My Eyes", "Skeletons At The Feast" follows "On A Perfect Day", and on the retail edition of X "Kamikaze" follows "Edge Of The In-Between", and they're all pretty good instrumentals too, although they got better with each album, IMO.

Also, I'm glad my SB Survivor helped you get into this Era of the band! I really love what these guys have put out so far and I look forward to, AT LEAST, two or three more albums from them! Although to be honest, I'd love to see them make it to XV!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 04:15:48 PM »
I know I'm in the minority here, but I'd say Octane and X are stronger than any Morse era album I've heard and I generally think losing Morse didn't end up hurting them any at the end of the day.

:neverusethis:

Also, I agree! :tup

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 04:52:12 PM »
Here is a vid of "June" from the last tour (filmed in Rüsselsheim/Germany - a gig which I attended). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFax3eXR9xk
Check out the user's other videos from this gig.

Nick is a GREAT frontman. Al seems to enjoy himself more and more, he simply rocked. This band, along with the mighty Dave on bass and Jimmy on drums: I'm quite sure there will be at least one more great album!  :hefdaddy

« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 03:59:51 AM by ich bin besser »
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 08:09:31 PM »
Octane and X are definitely my favorite Nick-era albums, and would probably be their two best if a little album called V didn't exist, and The Light might be second if the production on it was better.

Losing Neal only hurt them in the fact that some people might not have given them a fair shake - and Ryo's creativity shines through a lot more now.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 10:20:20 PM »
Best songs of the post-Neal era:

"Jaws of Heaven"
"From the Darkness"
"East of Eden, West of Memphis"
"Ghosts of Autumn"
"The Planet's Hum"
"With Your Kiss"
"Edge of the In-Between"
"A Guy Named Sid"
"The Man Behind the Curtain"

So, yeah, I definitely think X and Feel Euphoria are the two really good albums of this era.  The other two have their moments, but are pretty spotty overall.  I can't say X is as good as the best two or three Neal-era records, but it is still a really good record; one of my favorites of '10. :)

Online Mladen

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 03:42:20 AM »
I'd say X is one of their best albums, and probably my favorite record of 2010. Every song is very strong, which hasn't happened to Spock's beard since their debut, which is actually my very favorite. I also enjoy Octane - it has some mainstream and catchy moments, yet it took me some time to get into it. The other two releases from Nick-Era are solid as well, although far from being their best works.

I was blessed with an opportunity to see them live in Budapest last year, and it was just a beautiful show. I met the guys after the gig, I had them sign the CD and I had a picture taken with Ryo. The guys were impressed by the fact that I have spent eight hours on the train just to see them - needless to say, it was well worth it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 05:23:32 AM »
My faves,

Feel Euphoria: The Bottom Line
                    Ghosts Of Autumn
                    A Guy Names Sid

Octane:  She Is Everything
             There Was A Time
             The Planet's Hum

Spock's Beard: All That's Left
                     Wherever You Stand

X: Edge Of The In-Between
    Jaws Of Heaven
    From The Darkness             
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 06:33:19 AM »
Gosh, it seems like I'm the only one who thinks X was a step down from the previous two. Octane and the self-titled were such good albums (up there with the best of the Neal era albums, in my opinion), and I like X, but after a few listens I still find it a little underwhelming.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 06:34:17 AM »
Oh and I completely agree with DTVT, Ryo is so much more prominent these days, and generally the band are just much more dynamic.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 09:32:01 AM »
Gosh, it seems like I'm the only one who thinks X was a step down from the previous two. Octane and the self-titled were such good albums (up there with the best of the Neal era albums, in my opinion), and I like X, but after a few listens I still find it a little underwhelming.

Your musical views always seem run counter to mine :lol
To me, X was the first really strong post-Neal album, one where they showed some "color".

BTW, for the ones in the know: I remember reading somewhere that they don't write their own songs; is that actually the case?

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 09:35:17 AM »

Your musical views always seem run counter to mine :lol
To me, X was the first really strong post-Neal album, one where they showed some "color". My concern is that it's too little, too late. I think their fan base at this point is nowhere near what it used to be. They completely stopped touring in the US for example.

BTW, for the ones in the know: I remember reading somewhere that they don't write their own songs; is that actually the case?

rumborak

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 09:35:50 AM »
What the hell? I can't edit posts anymore?

rumborak

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 09:46:58 AM »
Most of the lyrics have been written by John Boegehold since Neal left.

Honestly, I don't care who writes them as long as they are good.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 09:48:14 AM »
They've had a few guys write with them Rumbo.  Like Pi Dubois(sp?) did with Neil Peart with Rush.

John Boeghold is the guy who's been writing with the band of late. Dammit DTVT, ninja'd! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 11:55:48 AM »
 :tup   i just fell in love with nick's beard this fall...i got in spck's beard a decade ago and spun the hell outta V and Snow. when they released Feel Euphoria, i only ever checked out one song (on an inside out sampler cd) and never really thought much of it...so for circa 7 years, i ignored the band's releases and only listened to neal-era.

cue this past august, and on a whim i check out the self titled album...next thing i know, a couple months later, i've completely inundated myself with the nick's beard discography. turns out i like the new incarnation more than neal-era and i'm regretting my years of ignorance.

and yes, octane bonus disc is awesome! game face and broken promise land (just let me breathe, anyone?) both own.  :metal

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 11:32:37 AM »
So, until today I had only listened to Feel Euphoria from post Neal's era. Now I have also listened to Octane and Spock's Beard. I must say that I liked it but I prefer Neal's era way better. I have to admit I'm a hardcore prog fan and I feel they've become a little less proggy after Neal's departure.

Just my opinion.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2011, 11:40:54 AM »
they just divide their epic's into multi tracks now  :P

i'm mostly just responding cuz youre a post ahead of me, niko. [not no more]

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 11:47:42 AM »
Nicky Spanjaard era...?

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2011, 12:49:43 PM »
Just finished listening to X. Definitely my favorite from Nick's Era, still not as good as Nea'ls though.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants.