Author Topic: The Survivor Thread  (Read 189447 times)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Re: The Survivor Thread
« Reply #385 on: September 19, 2012, 10:04:29 PM »
As a reminder, it should always be assumed that there will be spoilers in posts, which is why I wait til I've seen the episode before reading this thread.  Maybe a mod could alter the OP to indicate spoilers?

That said, I'm not sure how Zane thought he was in control of his whole tribe by telling them (basically) "I suck, I shouldn't be here, vote me out."

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #386 on: September 20, 2012, 05:45:16 PM »
Yeah, as for the spoilers, I always assume no one would check the thread if they haven't seen it yet. Zane really was a nut, though it would have been fantastic for him to stick around longer.

Got me thinking for an interesting idea for a later season of Survivor, which I'm not sure anyone has thought of before. A season with only former contestants, but all ones that got voted off first. I think it would be a pretty interesting dynamic, because they would all have a little bit of experience, but none enough to be considered immediate threats coming in.

Then again, there is a good reason some of these people are voted off first...
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #387 on: September 21, 2012, 05:48:13 AM »
As a reminder, it should always be assumed that there will be spoilers in posts, which is why I wait til I've seen the episode before reading this thread.  Maybe a mod could alter the OP to indicate spoilers?

That said, I'm not sure how Zane thought he was in control of his whole tribe by telling them (basically) "I suck, I shouldn't be here, vote me out."

Yeah, his tactic confused me greatly. :lol It's one thing to take responsibility for letting down the team, but he was a bit too persistent with his self loathing. And WTF with pointing out that he had made an alliance with everybody. That doesn't help either, pal. :lol

It will be interesting seeing how having such small teams pans out. Are they going to have to sit out a member on each of the other teams next episode? And what about if the same team loses again? I wouldn't be too surprised if they merge into two teams not too far in before merging to one.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #388 on: September 21, 2012, 06:28:32 AM »
Got me thinking for an interesting idea for a later season of Survivor, which I'm not sure anyone has thought of before. A season with only former contestants, but all ones that got voted off first. I think it would be a pretty interesting dynamic, because they would all have a little bit of experience, but none enough to be considered immediate threats coming in.

An interesting idea, but I'm getting to the point where I'm tired of BB and Survivor bringing backprevious contestants.  I automatically want to root for the returnee and that's not entirely fair.  Though Probst has kinda indicated that whenever possible, he wants to bring back returnees.

https://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/survivor_philippines/2012_Jul_30_returnees-forever

Yeah, his tactic confused me greatly. :lol It's one thing to take responsibility for letting down the team, but he was a bit too persistent with his self loathing. And WTF with pointing out that he had made an alliance with everybody. That doesn't help either, pal. :lol

It will be interesting seeing how having such small teams pans out. Are they going to have to sit out a member on each of the other teams next episode? And what about if the same team loses again? I wouldn't be too surprised if they merge into two teams not too far in before merging to one.

Yeah, that guy was a loose cannon, I don't think he had the first clue WTF he was doing.  Also, it hadn't occurred to me about how it would work with sitting people out for challenges.  I remember that they had 4 tribes during Cook Islands, but I don't recall how they handled differing tribe sizes at challenges.  It seems likely that it WILL merge into two tribes sometime soon.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #389 on: September 21, 2012, 06:44:48 AM »
I haven't seen the Cook Islands one, so I didn't know they'd done more than 2 teams before.

My initial impression after one episode is that I preferred 2 larger teams. In the challenges, any team now has a 2/3 chance of being safe from immunity (unless they were to send the two losing teams to tribal), which I think makes it a little bit less interesting, and there's too much jumping around with showing each team at camp, so I can't keep track (my memory is shit). Although I guess it makes avoiding tribal a lot more critical even at this early stage, because you only have a small tribe to begin with. I think the payoff will come as the game progresses.

Speaking of which, I've also noticed there's less room for many alliances to form within a tribe with only 6 people. In the long run that may be a good thing to stop it getting stale and predictable with the voting, and will probably make it harder to fly under the radar. I actually stopped watching last season entirely because it got predictable and boring as hell.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #390 on: September 21, 2012, 06:55:35 AM »
I think we were all irritated with last season's march towards the inevitable.  Tarzan COULD have shaken it up and gotten someone voted out, if he'd gotten onboard with Troy, bu the seemed content to assure himself that he would go out 5th (I think that was it).  Dumb, dumb move.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #391 on: September 21, 2012, 07:01:11 AM »
That was the last straw for me watching it. That was the last chance in the game for anything unpredictable to happen, but Tarzan as usual just did his own thing. I liked Tarzan, but he wasn't much of a team player in that regard. I was hoping for Troy to win too.
Usually when something like that happens I think "well it seems obvious what will happen next", but I keep watching knowing that something will shake it up, but this time I saw literally no other way it could have played out, so I saw no reason to keep watching for a result I knew I wasn't going to be happy with anyway.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #392 on: September 21, 2012, 07:04:36 AM »
Oh, he was a team player.  Just for the entirely wrong team.  His blind allegiance to Kim and her allies was pathetically short-sighted.  I cannot imagine any possible scenario where he could've figured he had a shot to win, after he helped send Troy packing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #393 on: September 21, 2012, 07:12:10 AM »
I don't think winning is what drove his decisions. His actions were not strategically motivated, but seemed to be based more on his own ethics of honour and loyalty etc. Not that there's anything wrong with that at all, but I think many times his head was in the wrong place even for those factors, and he never put it in context with what everyone else was doing, or how it would steer the game.
There were several occasions where he would ignore who was voting for who, and just say "I'm voting for this person" instead of thinking of numbers, basically just wasting his vote every time.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #394 on: September 21, 2012, 07:21:41 AM »
Yep.  Terrible.  Do you watch Amazing Race?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #395 on: September 21, 2012, 07:24:51 AM »
I didn't watch last season, but I watched the few before that.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #396 on: September 21, 2012, 07:32:46 AM »
This season looks to be pretty cool.  As noted previously, James Lomenzo, bassist from White Lion, will be on this season.  Also, new twist this year.  If the team that wins the first leg of the race ends up winning the race at the end, they'll win $2M instead of the standard $1M.  I just watched the trailer on CBS' website, introducing the teams.  Looks good.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #397 on: September 21, 2012, 07:34:41 AM »
Any other cool characters? Some of the lineups of the past couple of seasons have been a bit dull and generic. I only started watching it again because there were stunt midgets, and that season did not disappoint at all. :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #398 on: September 21, 2012, 07:48:19 AM »
Let's see, a chick who lost both legs from the knee down due to meningitis and has prosthetics and her husband, two substitute teachers, two random blonds, a couple that race monster trucks, a husband who is a lumberjack and manages lumberjack competitions and his wife, a gay couple who run a farm and have a TV show around it, a couple fresh out of college, another randowm couple, a duo of Chippendales dancers, one who sings and the other plays guitar, and Indian twin sisters (i.e. from India, not Native Americans).

https://www.cbs.com/shows/amazing_race/video/2273722527/the-amazing-race-meet-the-cast

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #399 on: September 21, 2012, 07:55:37 AM »
Token gay team. Check. Generic hot chick team. Check. Generic couple of angry roid'ed up meathead and submissive girlfriend who tries to keep him from making her walk into a door. Check. Someone with a disability. Check.

Yep, I'm in. :lol Do we have an Amazing Race thread?

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #400 on: September 21, 2012, 08:06:48 AM »
:lol  Yeah, pretty much.

There's no AR thread.  I wondered about making a separate thread for that.  Might not be a bad idea, as one catch-all "Reality TV Thread" might be a little too much to keep track of.  I should've had one for Big Brother while that was going.  Didn't care for the outcome of that one.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #401 on: September 27, 2012, 02:14:48 PM »
Bye-bye Roxy.  She has clearly never watched Survivor.  Either that or she is ridiculously very self-unaware.  You don't go busting your mouth off like that, unless you've at the very least, been pulling your weight around camp.  Or being worthwhile in challenges.  She's been neither.  She's one of those people who sees a "threat" and just has to go runinng her fucking mouth.  If she's STFU at Tribal, she might have stuck around.  Even Russell realized she was bad news.

And cookies?  Are you fucking kidding me?  I thought Probst was gonna fall off his seat when she said cookies.  Wow.

I was pleased to see Lisa be instrumental in her team's win.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #402 on: September 27, 2012, 05:59:58 PM »
What's wrong with cookies?  Cookies are yummy. :coolio

But yeah, a pretty :lol :lol reply, but Angie is basically there for us to look at.  She is clearly brain dead and has no strategy whatsoever, but she's good eye candy for us male viewers. :biggrin:

And yeah, Roxy was pretty stupid.  You said it all, Cozmo.  You don't go running your mouth that early in the game.  And her trying to defend her laziness around camp was just hilarious.  Seeyabye.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #403 on: September 27, 2012, 07:00:54 PM »
Also, I don't know if anyone knew, Lisa Whelchel's marriage of 23-ish years ended just prior to her coming on Survivor, so undoubtedly she was emotional.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #404 on: September 27, 2012, 08:19:18 PM »
Just saw the episode tonight.

I'm not very good with names, but I'm currently enjoying the sex therapist, and all three of the returneees.
The banker chick irks me, and so does her paranoid 'ally'.
I was happy to see Roxy go.
I'm a bit ambivalent towards Malcolm and Angie. Neither seem like very good strategists, but I don't dislike them.
Plus, Angie has a great rack, so I don't mind her sticking around a bit longer.

It will be interesting to see what happens if the same tribe loses again next time.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #405 on: September 27, 2012, 10:26:19 PM »

I'm a bit ambivalent towards Malcolm and Angie. Neither seem like very good strategists, but I don't dislike them.

Same here.  They both seem like dimwits, so even if they stick together, they don't strike me as a twosome that can take charge and strategize their way to the money, ala Rob and Amber.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #406 on: September 28, 2012, 12:01:23 AM »
But yeah, a pretty :lol :lol reply, but Angie is basically there for us to look at.  She is clearly brain dead and has no strategy whatsoever, but she's good eye candy for us male viewers. :biggrin:

Yeah, the editors sure took it as an excuse to show her rack every 5 seconds, so I'm not complaining. :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #407 on: October 04, 2012, 09:22:40 AM »
Interesting night last night.  I have no idea how Angie thought she was going to spin her intial "I can't do it" and refusal to try again into "I totally would've done it again!"  Russell was right to challenge her.  She tried to throw him under the bus and he was like "Oh no you just di'nt."  She's there because she's young, blond, and has boobs.  She may as well have been a contribution from the set design department instead of casting.  I did not see her do much of anything to help them win.  Granted Russell seems to keep shooting himself in the foot also.  He won't last much longer either.  And Mike is going to get medevac'd again, due to blood loss.  That guy is an accident waiting to happen, anytime he's awake.  He'll find a way to injure himself in his sleep next week, I just know it.  And I have no idea what this whole nonsense between Abi and RC is.  I didn't really want Abi to find the idol, but whatever.  I'm just starting to get comfy with the players enough to start determining who I'd like to see win, but not certain yet.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #408 on: October 04, 2012, 12:30:58 PM »
Matsing continue their losing streak. While they do have some weaker players, Russell is a constant cause of most of their problems. Denise said she would go, but Russell goes instead, and gives up, then she kept going like a machine. They could have blitzed that challenge if Russell hadn't insisted on going again even after having a crap first run.
As you said, he keeps shooting himself in the foot. I think he's trying too hard to prove he's an asset to the team, but that just puts a target on his back either way. He learns nothing. I was actually hoping he would go, because I'd rather the eye candy. But she deserved to go, so no biggy.

And wtf with Mike yet again. :lol At first I thought it was mostly editing that he seemed so accident-prone, as I'm sure people hurt themselves, but he's a walking injury magnet.

I also find it hilarious that the immunity idol is sitting in plain sight on top of their food. Well played.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #409 on: October 04, 2012, 01:09:54 PM »
Someone posted this on the other forum I'm on:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #410 on: October 04, 2012, 01:14:27 PM »
That tribe keeps losing, but at least they keep voting out the right people every time.

Angie's attempt at revisionist history was hilarious, and I am glad Russell called her out on it at TC.

That Abi chick is a total snot; she is the walking definition of PMS. :lol

And while us males will miss Angie's knockers, we still have RC's to enjoy. :tup :tup

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #411 on: October 04, 2012, 09:14:24 PM »
RC makes me uneasy, though I'm not entirely sure why. On second thought, it's probably the fact that she is an investment banker and she lies about it.

At the same time, I feel oddly sorry for her having to deal with Abi... What a paranoid nut.

I was glad to see Angie go, as she really had nothing to offer other than her tits. Denise may be my favorite player so far, although it's a little too early to tell for sure. Plus, I feel like I know the players from blue tribe a lot better than the rest.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #412 on: October 11, 2012, 10:39:41 AM »
This episode's result has absolutely no surprise at all. :lol There was just no chance anyone but Russell was getting voted out.
As someone else even said in the episode, Russell has no self awareness. First of all, he made himself a prime target in his own tribe ranting like a bad sport maniac after every loss, but doing it in front of the other two tribes and saying he should have won would have already had him off-side with the other tribes even if he made it to a merge.

Next week should be interesting with a tribe of only 2. They're going to have to do something about that very soon.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #413 on: October 11, 2012, 10:42:29 AM »
I was really hoping they'd pull out a win this time.  But I was the same way about his ranting.  I even said "Dude, STFU, you're not helping yourself at all!"  Also, the artsy slow-mo shot of the other team's win was excellent.

Also, Andy at Reality Blurred offers an excellent analysis of the episode:

https://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/survivor_philippines/2012_Oct_11_swan-out-exceptional-episode

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #414 on: October 11, 2012, 10:55:20 AM »
Oh yeah, that shot was great. It was the old "will he or won't he". But then it caught it on the down-swing. PLOT TWIST!
I agree entirely with that write-up too. Good stuff.

And I was sort of hoping they'd make a comeback, but sort of not at the same time. I was going for them in the challenge, and I really was rooting for them once it got to those final few pots, but I also love seeing the game get incredibly skewed and seeing what happens.
I'm surprised they haven't messed with the game yet, but I'm glad they haven't. One tribe is already down to 2. Anything could happen at this stage, and that makes it more interesting to watch.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #415 on: October 11, 2012, 10:56:22 AM »
Have you been watching Amazing Race?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #416 on: October 11, 2012, 11:00:04 AM »
I still don't know who half of the people on Jonathan's tribe are. I know him, Jeff Kent and the ugly chick with tattoos and short hair, but everyone else is a blur right now.  Guess that means they will be sticking around for a while and we'll get to know them more eventually. 

Good riddance to Russell.

That Abi chick is still walking PMS.  I'll bet she is a pleasure in real life. :lol :lol :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #417 on: October 11, 2012, 11:02:47 AM »
I was thinking the same thing.  The black girl from one of the other tribes came on the screen and I was like "I don't remember ever seeing her before".  And definitely Abi is a HUGE pain in the ass.  Brilliant move planting the note in RC's stuff, so Abi would find it.

So the previews indicate someone may be medevac'd out next week.  I'll laugh my ass off if it's Mike.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #418 on: October 11, 2012, 11:07:03 AM »
Abi is a nutbar. An absolute nutbar. And there was definitely a whole tribe in this episode that I just thought "who the hell are those guys?" :lol

Have you been watching Amazing Race?

Sure have. Are you starting a thread or what? I don't care if it's just us. :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #419 on: October 12, 2012, 06:01:06 AM »
That Abi chick is really annoying.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.