Author Topic: The Survivor Thread  (Read 187857 times)

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
Re: The Survivor Thread
« Reply #210 on: September 23, 2011, 12:14:30 PM »
Fellas, I believe Brandon compared her to "Poverty".
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #211 on: September 23, 2011, 02:56:21 PM »
Fellas, I believe Brandon compared her to "Poverty".

Ohhhhhhh now I get it. I actually thought he was rambling about poverty. :facepalm:
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #212 on: September 23, 2011, 04:10:55 PM »
:lol

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #213 on: September 24, 2011, 12:44:03 AM »
Guys, guys.  I am absolutely positively a totally unabashed fan of Coach 3.0.  He demolished - DEMOLISHED - Stacie and Christine at Tribal council and enjoyed the carnage with a brilliantly satisfied smile.  I so enjoyed laughing with glee while simultaneously appreciating his moves.  Hopefully this guy sticks around.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #214 on: September 24, 2011, 05:55:41 AM »
Yeah Coach 3.0 is playing pretty well so far. I think he should have kept his cards closer to his chest at the last tribal council, but Brandon ended up being the one burying everyone, so Coach looks pretty good by comparison.

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #215 on: October 06, 2011, 09:46:11 AM »
Oh god.  Please stop Brandon from having more screen time.  Watching him is so awkward.  I know reality TV is about taking people who aren't self-aware and letting us see them let loose.  But people like the Jersey Shore cast at least enjoy it and get something out of it (money and fame, however fleeting).  Brandon's going to look like a psycho on TV, get a few thousand dollars, have a really awkward reunion show... and that's it.  This is legitimately somewhat horrible.  He has real mental issues he needs to work out. 

Even if you don't care about any of that, it's not interesting to watch.  We get it, he's deeply conflicted between his sense of morality, excessive need to represent his family, and the fact that he's pre-disposed to do things that are immoral and stupid.  It's not really developing, just getting more extreme and awkward.

Also, it's always a little creepy to watch someone who might go into a fit of rage and become physically dangerous to the other contestants.  I want to be able to watch Survivor and walk away with legitimate insights into the human condition, but it has to be at least a little fun.  The budding moment where he start smacking around Mikayla while Coach restrains him just sounds horrible.

Remember how in Jersey Shore they edited out the Snookie punch after enough people complained?  Can they go back and re-edit any episodes with Brandon?  Please?  For everyone's sake.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #216 on: October 06, 2011, 09:57:24 AM »
I love Coach 3.0 also.  To see him get irritated, almost pissed at Brandon last night was refreshing.  Brandon is a creep, plain and simple.  He has serious issues, as noted and needs to GTFO.  The kinda stress he's under isn't good.  Sugar, from earlier seasons, attempted suicide after being voted off of HvV (granted she's got problems anyway, but still).

I'm glad Dawn won the immunity challenge last night, showing that, despite being the old person, she could still redeem herself as worthy to the tribe.  Glad Stacey is gone.  Good riddance.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #217 on: October 12, 2011, 02:26:32 PM »
I hope Cochran, Dawn and Jim can pull their coup d'etat on Ozzy and Elyse. I'm far more interested in seeing those 3 go far than the other 4.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #218 on: October 12, 2011, 03:04:00 PM »
I hope Cochran, Dawn and Jim can pull their coup d'etat on Ozzy and Elyse. I'm far more interested in seeing those 3 go far than the other 4.
This needs to happen. I don't understand what Ozzies alliance participants are even thinking. They've seen how dominant Ozzy can be in an individual environment....why even take him to the merge and give him an opportunity to continually win individual immunity or form a deeper alliance?
  We know that they all were able to witness Rob run his tribe and alliance last season...so why allow Ozzy any bit of control? It's mind boggling that either tribe has kept the former contestants around. I don't care if they've been there and done that. One, that's the main reason they should go is because of 'game' experience, and two...it's not like they are really having to Survive. CBS all but gives them the 3 essentials (food, water, fire) You don't need an experienced player to help you 'Survive'. Anyway, back to your point....there needs to be some sort of major blind side like that where a Key player like Ozzy is just nailed with no warning.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #219 on: October 20, 2011, 11:41:22 AM »
**SPOILERS**

Wow, so last night, huh?  Christine is a bitter, sour grapes bitch.  Granted, she has reason to be to some degree, but flipping off the old tribemate who was trying to encourage her?  Classless.  Any remote feelings of sympathy I had for her went away last night.  I'd so hoped Elyse would beat her.  Might have if she hadn't kncked one of her own pucks off.

The immunity challenge was once again damn good.  Very well thought out challenge.  Which Upolu could've won if Mikayla would've either 1) listened to them and used both hands or 2) listened to them and sat out.  "I got this, Coach!"  YOU AIN'T GOT SHIT!  She probably single-handedly cost them that challenge.  I was glad to see her go.  Then at Tribal Council, she kinda acted surprised that anyone would think she had something to do with them losing.  Delusional.

Speaking of delusional DUMP BRANDON IMMEDIATELY.  Coach called him a loose cannon.  Bullshit.  Brandon is an entire artillery regiment of loose cannons.  That guy couldn't keep his mouth shut at tribal council if you super glued it shut.  SO annoying.

Then there's Ozzy who was all "free agent", then realized "That was kinda dumb, huh?"  If it hadn't been for Mikayla fucking up every single shot, Savaii would've been BACK at Tribal Council, possibly dumping Ozzy.  They were so very far behind, but how they ever managed to come back and win is just amazing.

Based on the previews, next week's immunity challenge looks like it's gonna be a pretty good one.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #220 on: October 20, 2011, 02:25:55 PM »
Coach is the most delusional person to have ever played the show.  He doesn't have the least bit of honor or integrity, yet he actually thinks he has lots of both.

As for the challenge, Coach sucked at it as well, so him getting so pissed at Mikayla for not doing well either was a joke.  Between him and Brandon, this season is becoming almost unwatchable.

Ozzy has never been a smart strategic player, but a provider and a good competitor in challenges, which is showing again this season.

Christine really should try to hide some of his bitterness, but I'd tell the tribe that voted me out to take a flying leap as well. 

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #221 on: October 26, 2011, 08:48:47 PM »
SPOILER-ish

Oh. Holy. Shit.

Ozzy must have balls the size of church bells.  He will either have pulled off the most brilliant move ever or he will end up making the most completely untoppable Survivor fuck up ever.  I just can't believe it.  Plus next week's preview of the Redemption duel, shows that it's a repeat of the a previous duel from last season's Redemption Island.  One that doesn't rely much on strength, speed, or swimming.

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #222 on: October 27, 2011, 09:37:51 AM »
SPOILER-ish

Oh. Holy. Shit.

Ozzy must have balls the size of church bells.  He will either have pulled off the most brilliant move ever or he will end up making the most completely untoppable Survivor fuck up ever.  I just can't believe it.  Plus next week's preview of the Redemption duel, shows that it's a repeat of the a previous duel from last season's Redemption Island.  One that doesn't rely much on strength, speed, or swimming.
The outcome of the Redemption duel is quite good. As a matter of fact, next weeks episode is fairly epic.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: October 27, 2011, 10:12:28 AM »
SPOILER-ish

Oh. Holy. Shit.

The outcome of the Redemption duel is quite good. As a matter of fact, next weeks episode is fairly epic.
Dude, it's known that you have an inside scoop so I need to ask in all seriosness. Is this show 100% legit as far as 'reality'? Some of the recent seasons just seem to be working out in a 'to good to be true' scenario as far as conflict/interesting plot etc, just 'made for TV' stuff. It has me teetering on if the producers and behind the scenes kind of lead people one way or the other....almost choreograph it to provide an interesting product.
  I guess there is no way that if that were the case you'd say 'Oh yeah it's all made up' but can you give some sort of indication either way?

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #224 on: October 27, 2011, 10:49:55 AM »
No, it is legit. They actually work pretty hard at not interfering. About the closest thing to a set up is for tribal, the producers will feed Jeff info on things that happened earlier for discussion at tribal.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #225 on: October 27, 2011, 11:00:47 AM »
I think Probst generally does a great job, but I hate when he blatantly points out when someone messes up or is struggling in challenge.  It is like he is throwing that person to the wolves and casting all blame on them for when things aren't going well.  Also, there are occasional challenges that focus on balance and concentration, and he is watching and talking the whole time.  I'd be like, "Jeff, it'd be a lot easier to focus and concentrate if you would shut the hell up." :lol

As for last night's episode, I just saw watched it, and while I think Ozzy's move is a bold one, why did he give Cochran the II?  I would have given it to someone else.  I mean, Cochran is under no obligation to give it back, right?  And Coach making a big deal about praying came off as way too much.  "Everyone, on your knees!" :mehlin :mehlin :mehlin Gimme a break.  See, this is why a lot of non-believers hate believers, because of douches like Coach who force their beliefs on everyone else.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: October 27, 2011, 11:49:21 AM »
  And Coach making a big deal about praying came off as way too much.  "Everyone, on your knees!" :mehlin :mehlin :mehlin Gimme a break.  See, this is why a lot of non-believers hate believers, because of douches like Coach who force their beliefs on everyone else.
Good Point. Mywife and I are Christian, and the whole 'God' thing Coach and Brandon although their intentions are good....like you said, non believers who aren't in to it and are looking for more examples of why they aren't are getting plenty from them.
  Don Davis, the former linebacker for the Rams and Patriots spoke at our church a couple weeks ago and his theme was Christians who are 'over saved' acting just like those two are. It's embarassing actually.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #227 on: October 27, 2011, 12:01:07 PM »
Also, there are occasional challenges that focus on balance and concentration, and he is watching and talking the whole time.  I'd be like, "Jeff, it'd be a lot easier to focus and concentrate if you would shut the hell up." :lol

Oh, holy shit, this.  EVERY time there's a concentration challenge, I'm like "STFU Probst!!"  :lol

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #228 on: October 28, 2011, 11:07:15 AM »
Jeff seems to really be giving Cochran a hard time.
Every tribal council they are at, Jeff always has to have a moment where he goes "So Cochran, uh...how come you suck so much?" or "Cochran, are you normally this terrible at life?"
Jeff, can you lay off the guy for 2 seconds?

This past episode was very strange though...that montage after the challange of Upolu praying, and Ozzy flipping his shit...I was confused what the point of all that was...it was intense.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #229 on: October 28, 2011, 11:08:46 AM »
Am I the only one who's really kinda creeped out by Cochran?  Every time there's a closeup on him, the look on his face creeps me out, like behind the geeky exterior, he's really a mass-murderer on the run or something.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #230 on: October 29, 2011, 12:16:33 AM »
Am I the only one who's really kinda creeped out by Cochran?  Every time there's a closeup on him, the look on his face creeps me out, like behind the geeky exterior, he's really a mass-murderer on the run or something.

You should be, you really should be.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #231 on: October 29, 2011, 04:43:03 PM »
He deserves it.

Can't wait for next week's episode.

bob, do you work on the show?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #232 on: October 29, 2011, 05:16:11 PM »
He deserves it.

Can't wait for next week's episode.

bob, do you work on the show?
Yes, since season one

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #233 on: October 29, 2011, 05:22:07 PM »
Sweet.  That's really cool.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #234 on: October 29, 2011, 06:36:48 PM »

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #235 on: October 29, 2011, 08:37:14 PM »
Kinda like with dogs.  If you show fear, they'll tear you all to shit.  Show them you're in charge and they'll obey.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #236 on: October 29, 2011, 08:40:14 PM »
Yeah, he invites it.  He annoys the piss out of me.  He's such a huge fan of the show and has memorized all the facts and figures, and never once stopped to think that he has none of the qualities that enable someone to really be able to play the game well and be successful.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #237 on: October 30, 2011, 03:45:36 PM »
Yeah, he invites it.  He annoys the piss out of me.  He's such a huge fan of the show and has memorized all the facts and figures, and never once stopped to think that he has none of the qualities that enable someone to really be able to play the game well and be successful.

What qualities? There's no formula for winning Survivor. Anyone can win Survivor, and frankly Cochran is doing pretty good, all things considered. He's made it to the merge, basically, and he really will not be a target now. I'm impressed at his ability to make it this far. Granted, his game thus-far has involved a great deal of luck, but everyone who has won Survivor will tell you that luck plays a big factor.

Actually John Cochran's game reminds me a lot of Sandra's. He has a very "as long as it isn't me" view on tribal council, which was Sandra's M.O as well.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #238 on: October 30, 2011, 06:34:01 PM »
He is no physical presence whatsoever, which you can get away with if you have a great social game, but he doesn't have that either.  And his attempts to suck up to everyone by being the camp work bitch are just sad and embarassing.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #239 on: October 30, 2011, 06:42:37 PM »
He is no physical presence whatsoever, which you can get away with if you have a great social game, but he doesn't have that either.  And his attempts to suck up to everyone by being the camp work bitch are just sad and embarassing.

And yet despite all of that, he is still in the game. And him having no physical game is only going to help him post-merge. No one will see him as a threat.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #240 on: October 30, 2011, 06:44:40 PM »

And yet despite all of that, he is still in the game. And him having no physical game is only going to help him post-merge. No one will see him as a threat.
His being in the game is pure luck.  And I still don't understand why his new cabal voted out Ozzy's chippie instead of blindsiding Ozzy himself.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #241 on: October 30, 2011, 11:48:33 PM »

His being in the game is pure luck.  And I still don't understand why his new cabal voted out Ozzy's chippie instead of blindsiding Ozzy himself.

Yeah, I thought that was a bad move too. Granted, it worked out well for them...they got Ozzy out and got a free immunity idol out of it.
I find it amusing how Ozzy wants so badly to wipe the stench of failure from Fans vs. Favorites, that goes and makes an even dumber move.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #242 on: October 30, 2011, 11:52:30 PM »
I don't buy the idea that someone's strategy is working just because they are still in the game. Plenty of people have coasted their way and got far, but once it got down to the nitty-gritty, they bit the dust.  Several have even won the game.  Granted, flying under the radar can be a legit strategy (that gal who has played twice and won both times did that to a "t"...Sandra?), but some just bumble along and somehow avoid elimination for a while...like Cochran. 

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #243 on: November 02, 2011, 09:11:00 PM »
I don't know what to think.  I'm really not sure if I like what just happened there.  Shifty, shifty fuck.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #244 on: November 02, 2011, 09:14:08 PM »
I don't buy the idea that someone's strategy is working just because they are still in the game. Plenty of people have coasted their way and got far, but once it got down to the nitty-gritty, they bit the dust.  Several have even won the game.  Granted, flying under the radar can be a legit strategy (that gal who has played twice and won both times did that to a "t"...Sandra?), but some just bumble along and somehow avoid elimination for a while...like Cochran. 

That's what I said, Cochran is playing a Sandra game. "Just 3 more days..." was uttered by him at almost every tribal council, which was how Sandra played the game.
Also, it doesn't necessarily have to be strategy, but considering Cochran has survived multiple times being on the chopping block, he's clearly doing something right. Sure, he's fumbling and groveling his way through. Yes, you can say it was his tribemates who spared him every time, but he must have done something that made them want to keep him around.

On that note, this episode was unreal. I'm happy with Cochran's move. He flipped at the right time. He made a smart move in waiting for Ozzy to foolishly waste his idol, and then jump over to the side that still has an idol. I suppose Cochran could still get the John Fincher from Samoa treatment and get cut loose by his new allies at the next tribal council. Granted, that was with Russell, and I feel like regardless of what the preview shows, Albert and Sophie are not ruthless enough to cut Cochran loose with the numbers as close as they are.