Dream Theater > Dream Theater

Why Dream Theater shouldn't tell us who the new guy is...

(1/14) > >>

Perpetual Change:
Hopefully this is unique enough to warrant a new topic.

In light of the recent rampant, never-ending speculation, I'm starting to think that Dream Theater would be better off not telling us who the new drummer is until after the album is recorded and the album, or at least a single, is out.

Why?

Nothing I've seen over the last couple months suggests that the fanbase is anything but on it's last leg. We're (our energy, our optimism, etc, is) running on fumes here. Every time we think we've found a reason to believe a certain guy got the job, there's always more than a handful of people making brash statements like, "well that sucks, I'm not excited about this at all anymore." Furthermore, merely dropping a name won't change people's opinions now. Fans like who they like, and are pulling for who they want to see in. This is because Dream Theater have waited too long to make an announcement. People have their hopes up for no reason, and when an announcement is made many people will be let down.

So what should Dream Theater do? In my opinion, they need to release a kick-ass single or an album with their new guy before announcing who he is. Something that'll say, "this is our new guy, and this is how awesome we gel with him, so you'd better believe the album is going to be great."

Because how the guy gels with the band is the MOST important factor, and if that spark happens with someone who appears to be as uneventful as Priester or as mechanical as Mangini, than that's what counts. That is why fans like us simply don't and can't know who the best guy for Dream Theater is until we've seen what they can do together. And that's why an announcement won't help Dream Theater recover some of the energy they reobtained from fans when they united to record a new album despite Mike Portnoy's cynicism.

So Dream Theater can do two things at this point:

1.) Drop a name, for better or worse, and see the same kind of divided opinion from the fans that's marred every announcement they've made in past years...

OR

2.) Release a statement through a kick-ass song that says, "Yes, we're back, this is our guy, and we're stronger than ever."

With my luck, the new drummer is announced within 12 hours of this post.

Dublagent66:
No, it doesn't warrant a new topic.  Everyone will find out eventually.  Just leave it at that.  :p

Rafael Guerra:
I would personally be satisfied with perhaps the video of the selected drummer's audition rather than to wait for a single or the full album. Hopefully DT will announce it before the album comes out, even because one of them (JP? JLB?) mentioned in an interview that they wanted to have a small tour promoting the album before it was released. I also think some JR video updates of a "kick-ass" jam with the drummer would be enough for "Yes, we're back, this is our guy, and we're stronger than ever." to some fans. Certainly to me.

jdprsaga:
I can see the OP point.. but i also think a video footage of the audition could do the work.

Zantera:
I can definitely see the point in releasing a song or the album before letting the public know who the drummer is, but personally i wouldn't care much.
I'm not really much for speculating, and during these months when some people have pretty much been living in this part of the forum, i haven't really thought about DT at all.
When i read that Mike had left (about a week after it happend), my reaction was pretty much "that's a bit shocking, but oh well".
I haven't even begin to speculate about possible candidates, i really see no point in doing it.
As i see it, whoever they choose, they choose for being the best candidate.
It doesn't come down to how the drummers drum (between different videos on youtube), it's about finding a match for the band, someone that will benefit with as much on stage as in the studio, overall.

So my point is, whatever they choose to do, it will still be a name i haven't heard before, so the outcome won't really matter.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version