Author Topic: Top 10's of 2010 that ARE NOT DTF's  (Read 7701 times)

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
Re: Top 10's of 2010 that ARE NOT DTF's
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2011, 10:06:04 AM »
Has Lady Gaga ever redefined a genre? :lol
Ask those who consider her the most talented and amazing thing on earth and at the same time claim progmetal sucks because it's not diverse enough or some similar bullshit and create an ideology of ancient Greek proportions.
You're just making it personal like almost everybody else in this thread. If some one here would say "Lady Gaga sucks" or "techno music sucks" without further ado, nobody would feel offended and some would maybe nod in agreement.
But god forbid someone dares to say metal or prog sucks. It's understandable though, this is a prog metal forum after all. But a lot of you seem to act under the impression that music is good if and only if it's like prog metal, and that prog metal is the ultimate goal of every musician or something in that vein. Even though you may not have this opinion explicitly, it's what can be derived from some posts here.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Keyboardframe

• Banned from P/R
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2011, 10:15:46 AM »
kári.

Hey.

kári.

You're a good man, kári.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2011, 10:23:07 AM »
Metal fans are absolutely the worst. I'll give you that. Especially the black/death guys. Ugh.
"I'm so fucking openminded because I listen to Lady Gaga and she's so talented and unique man (despite being a modern clone of Madonna), while your shit progmetal is so repetitive because they don't redefine 10 genres with each album".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Was there any metal this year that didn't suck? I've got some catching up to do.

Intronaut, Alcest, Agalloch, Rolo Tomassi, Rosetta, Pin-Up Went Down, Orbs, The Ocean, Julie Christmas, Les Discrets, Dillinger Escape Plan...
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2011, 10:26:31 AM »
kári.

Hey.

kári.

You're a good man, kári.
I didn't want to come off as rude or offending, sorry if I did! It just occurred to me that apparently it's allowed to dismiss a genre or artist without any explanation as long as it's not prog metal or alike...

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2011, 10:35:38 AM »
Metal fans are absolutely the worst. I'll give you that. Especially the black/death guys. Ugh.
"I'm so fucking openminded because I listen to Lady Gaga and she's so talented and unique man (despite being a modern clone of Madonna), while your shit progmetal is so repetitive because they don't redefine 10 genres with each album".

Indeed.  Actually, I'm fairly certain that most Lady Gaga fans have never heard of prog metal :lol

And even if they did, so what?  You just basically shot down Lady Gaga for some ridiculous reason that is no more ridiculous than the shooting down of prog metal that I don't think people actually use.

And to be perfectly honest, I'd rather listen to "Bad Romance" before most prog metal bands.  Most of it is just plain bad, but the great artists of the genre are fucking godly.

@Keyboardframe: I might have to check out Deftones.  Haven't heard them before.  Let's see what happens.

Offline jsem

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2011, 10:39:54 AM »

Indeed.  Actually, I'm fairly certain that most Lady Gaga fans have never heard of prog metal :lol

And even if they did, so what?  You just basically shot down Lady Gaga for some ridiculous reason that is no more ridiculous than the shooting down of prog metal that I don't think people actually use.

And to be perfectly honest, I'd rather listen to "Bad Romance" before most prog metal bands.  Most of it is just plain bad, but the great artists of the genre are fucking godly.

@Keyboardframe: I might have to check out Deftones.  Haven't heard them before.  Let's see what happens.

Deftones are awesome.

Offline Keyboardframe

• Banned from P/R
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2011, 10:42:39 AM »
I didn't want to come off as rude or offending, sorry if I did! It just occurred to me that apparently it's allowed to dismiss a genre or artist without any explanation as long as it's not prog metal or alike...

No, no, I agree with you entirely! :)

Was there any metal this year that didn't suck? I've got some catching up to do.

Intronaut, Alcest, Agalloch, Rolo Tomassi, Rosetta, Pin-Up Went Down, Orbs, The Ocean, Julie Christmas, Les Discrets, Dillinger Escape Plan...

Awesome list, but you really need to give Diamond Eyes a chance. Not sure if it'd be your thing, but worth a try. And you like DEP, who are touring with Deftones this year.

@SDN. A lot of people don't like them/won't give them a chance because they're considered nu metal by some, but I find them a lot more intelligent and experimental than what they're often grouped with, and their newest album doesn't fit in the nu metal genre at all. I can't say I'm a huge fan of Deftones, I only have two albums (White Pony and Diamond Eyes), but I love them both.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2011, 10:50:47 AM »

That one sucked hard.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2011, 10:55:53 AM »
Though not being 100% metal, i'd say Oceansize made their heaviest album. (Self Preserved While the Bodies Float Up)

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2011, 10:56:45 AM »

That one sucked hard.

I can't say I'm surprised, it doesn't seem like something you'd like.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2011, 03:15:45 PM »
Looks like they copy-pasted Pitchfork's godawful list.

Looks like they copy-pasted Pitchfork's godawful list.
The hosts of Sound Opinions have a pretty massive hard-on for anything 'indie,' so it's not surprise that a majority of their forum goers do as well.

Note: I have no problems with indie music, but branch the fuck out people.

Oh, look at this. People who have no idea what the hell they're talking about. Lovely :lol

Oh, look, another music elitist. ololol

Offline Keyboardframe

• Banned from P/R
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2011, 05:07:57 PM »
I'm not an elitist whatsoever, just irked by ignorance :-*

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2011, 07:21:30 PM »
Albums I hope to keep spinning for the rest of my life:

Karnivool - Sound Awake
Anathema - We're here because we're here
Massive Attack - Heligoland
Hans Zimmer - Inception OST
Sleepy  Sun - Fever

Albums that I've already had enough of for the moment (but are still awesome and likely to re-click with me):

Alter Bridge - ABIII
The Pineapple Thief - Someone here is missing
Kanye West - My beautiful dark twisted fantasy
Deftones - Diamond Eyes
Slash - Slash

I was mostly busy checking out 60's and 70's music this year, but I really liked these records. But I can see that I didn't look very far into 2010.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2011, 08:43:06 PM »
Karnivool - Sound Awake is from 2009 :lol

But yes, I too will be spinning it for the rest of my life. (I actually bought this album with money! :omg:)
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?