Author Topic: Marvellous G's Song Roulette - Round 8 Resuuuuults!  (Read 41382 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Marvellous G's Song Roulette - Round 2 Results, Bottom Of Page 2!
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2011, 03:58:59 PM »
Interesting round!!

I had too many songs to pick from!   Oh, and sent!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2011, 04:05:33 PM »
Sent for the first round and the third!

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2011, 04:10:25 PM »
I don't have the slightest idea what to send this round. :lol
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2011, 04:21:44 PM »
Oh, and what are the second and third youtube links? Germany hates youtube, every second link is blocked.
The third youtube vid is titled "stevie ray vaughan lenny", and I couldn't view the second either. You can always use a web)based proxyserver like www.hidemyass.com , just paste the youtube link in the "hide my ass" bar.

Also, I just sent my pick!

Sweet, I know Lenny, and I can judge from that and the first song the kind of thing G's after.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2011, 04:52:07 PM »
I'm glad you liked my song! :)

Ahh! I have two very different songs in mind but I don't know which one to chose!! :-\

EDIT: sent :tup
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 05:00:26 PM by Gorille85 »

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2011, 10:45:43 PM »
The idea of "late night music" does not compute, except for maybe cheesy lounge music when you're drunk and trying to find an even drunker girl to hook up with.

Actually, that's what you are going to get.  You don't like harsh vocals, that's not everyone's cup of tea...you don't like Ted Leonard, that's just absurd; so now you are going to get absurd "late night music".

EDIT:  Crap, I can't find "Wicked Lounge" by Royal Hunt...it's probably the shittiest song by a decent band.  I have no idea why they stuck a piece of lounge music in the middle of one of their albums (other than Eyewitness was crap bag to begin with).

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2011, 10:50:01 PM »
It's not that hard to pick a good "late night music" song...

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2011, 10:51:00 PM »
...except when you don't know what "late night music" is...
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2011, 10:54:04 PM »
Just imagine a song that wouldn't feel right when played during the day, with sunshine and everything. I mean, the way I see it, it could be everything from a cold jazz piece to a sad ballad to a creepy metal song to etc.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2011, 11:09:26 PM »
Just imagine a song that wouldn't feel right when played during the day, with sunshine and everything. I mean, the way I see it, it could be everything from a cold jazz piece to a sad ballad to a creepy metal song to etc.

Good music is good music regardless of time of day.  Also, I have nothing like his examples.  I'm likely going to just send something absolutely redonkulous like Attack! Attack! or BrokenCYDE.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #80 on: January 09, 2011, 11:11:20 PM »
I'm excited for this round!

I have a few artists in mind who I listen to at night while I'm making comics.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2011, 11:17:42 PM »
oh boy, this sort of stuff is my specialty  :laugh: sent
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2011, 11:56:47 PM »
I doubt anyone would use this, but if I was participating, here's a song I might submit for "late night" theme.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMFOTU-ci7U

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2011, 02:52:30 AM »
Sending now.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2011, 11:27:14 AM »
Beginning first listens of the ones sent now. Results might take a bit longer than normal to go up this round as our college have just begun the getting into Oxbridge stuff for some of us, but should be up by Wednesday ish hopefully.

Also:

It doesn't actually have to be like my examples, they were just there in case people were utterly lost for inspiration.

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2011, 02:21:16 PM »
Sent.

I REALLY hope you like this song.
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2011, 03:06:29 PM »
Had time to listen to Jamesman's retroactive Round 1 pick today so here's a quick writeup:

5 Points
Jamesman
Future of Forestry - "Slow Your Breath Down"

I don't think it would have been fair to give this as many points as Shemg's first place pick in the first round, but this is definitely up there in quality. It reminded me of so many different artists, like Brandon Flowers, Arcade Fire and even some Bruce in there somewhere, but they managed to make their own amazing sound out of it. James' suggestion to watch them performing it live instead of listening to the studio version was also a great one, as judging by the sound I'd have guessed on the band being an 8 piece or something, so I was amazed when it was 3.  :lol Really nice melodies, harmonies, instrumentation and lyrics, and an all round great song from a band that has now sped to very near the top of my 'to check out' list. Awesome song.  :tup (technically the 5 point slot has already been filled, but judging by the circumstances and the fact that James had to think of this and his round 3 pick at the same time, I think this is fair to him, as the song really is that good too)

So now I guess it stands as:

Fluffy Lothario – 10 Points
Kingshmegland – 9 Points
Sonatafanica – 7 Points
Gorille85 – 7 Points
Kari – 7 Points
Jamesman - 6 Points
Zxlkho – 6 Points
Space Invader – 6 Points
Portucci – 5 Points
DTVT – 3 Points

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
:lol

I was wondering if you'd like it or hate it. This band is blowing me away and I myself need to check out more of their stuff. I have Travel II, and it is amazing.

Offline Marvellous G

I'm definitely gonna look into them after the roulette's over, although the list of bands/albums I need to check out is piling up with every round.  :lol Round 3 results should be up tomorrow.

Offline Marvellous G

Round 3 – Late Night Songs

1st Place – 6 Points

Gorille85
Caravan Palace – Ended With The Night

I have a feeling some people here might listen to this song and hate on it, but I LOVED it. From the second the strings kicked in at the start, I just knew it was perfect for what I meant in this round. The instrumentation just screams ‘late night in a European city’ to me, and the rain sound effects in the background are like the chillout opposite of Tool’s 10,000 Days. :lol I’ll admit, the vocals did give me a bit of a ‘WTF.’ Reaction at first, but they quickly grew on me even before the end of my first listen. On repeated plays, they’re perfect for the song. The solos were also brilliant, and only added to the incredibly rich atmosphere and mental images that this song managed to conjure up for me. As Gorille said, ‘this song is pretty much the definition of a late night song.’ I’d have to agree.

2nd Place – 5 Points
Space Invader
Black is the Colour of My True Love's Heart - Neverending White Lights

Wow, this might even have challenged Fluffy’s pick last round. :lol But, as you say, it works awesomely here too. After I got over the mindblowing similarity the female singer’s voice has to Zooey Deschanel’s, I was able to just zone out to the world and sink into this song, which resulted in a depressing but AMAZING experience. Judging by how little I could find out about this guy online, this seems to be a moderately low budget song, but the production just screams the opposite. That piano riff is the perfect backdrop to the fantastic vocals, whichever singer it is. The climax they reach together at the end (haha sex) is just amazing, and, luckily, this song fits into the late night category awesomely as well, so I can place this as highly as it deserves. Awesome awesome song, and 3:30 ranks as one of the best ‘momens’ in any of the tracks I’ve been sent in this roulette so far. But seriously, HOW is that not Zooey Deschanel singing?

3rd Place – 4 Points
Portucci
H.U.V.A Network - Rain Geometries

This song is certainly on the darker side of late night music, which is by no means a bad thing. It’s creepy, but probably one of the deepest songs instrumentally that I received this round. There’s just so much stuff going on here that it’s taken me multiple listens to hear some of the subtleties, and I’m sure I’m only scratching the surface as it is. The use of acoustic guitar in this kind of music is also really inventive, but equally effective, and it created an atmosphere quite unlike the other choices this round, while still retaining the feel of music best enjoyed in the wee small hours. I’m definitely interested in getting this band’s discography now, as long as Rainymood is playing in the background while I listen. :lol

4th Place – 4 Points
Fluffy Lothario
Bic Runga – Ruby Nights

This is one of those songs where the vocals, the piano, the drums (the drums! They’re amazing here) and the occasional guitar are all used just enough to be in perfect counterpoint to each other, but never approach being overused or becoming boring. Awesomely produced, nice chill lyrics, and a wonderful voice to carry the song. The breaks they have at some points during the verse, and the sparse section that hits in the middle of the song, are all judged excellently, and, as Fluffy said, you really get a more spatial feel from this song than you do from a lot of others. A keeper for the late night playlist.

5th Place – 3 Points
Kari
Talk Talk – I Believe In You

An awesome late night song in every way basically, very chill and well produced. The vocals were really nice and relaxing and fit the mood perfectly. The song progresses into being basically a really vivid soundscape, and it’s perfect for the category this round.The outro with the ‘spirit’s was really ethereal and ambient-sounding, but it’s like the great bits of ambient combined with more traditional music, which made for a really relaxing track, and a new favourite for my late night playlist.

6th Place – 3 Points
Jamesman
Dustin Kensrue – Blanket Of Ghosts

This immediately stands out as the kind of late night style track I was looking for! The song’s pace is gentle and relaxing, and Dustin’s voice is just as good here as it is in his best moments in Thrice, perhaps even better, and I might have dismissed him as not being the right guy for this kind of song if I hadn’t witnessed the evidence to the contrary. The organ really stands out to me in this song, creating a sort of Gospel style vibe that just makes the song more suited to very early morning listens. The solo and licks the guitar provide throughout are also really mellow, and definitely evoke the SRV style vibe I mentioned in my examples. Great song, and one that I’ll be listening to for many insomnia-ridden nights to come!

7th Place -2 Points
Zxlkho
Anathema – A Beautiful Disaster

You shouldn’t have been worried about being unsure what I was asking for here, as this is definitely the kind of thing I was looking for! :tup I was taken aback by the female vocals, having only heard ‘We’re Here Because We’re Here’ by Anathema before this, but they were excellent. This song swings along at a slow pace, but it never feels boring at all, and whoever’s singing really carries the music well. Not that the music needs carrying; that riff is hypnotic, and the production was great, and the fact that I didn’t notice a difference to their SW-produced recent album shows just how good the production is. Great pick, and a song that just encourages me to delve further into Anathema’s catalogue.

8th Place – 2 Points
DTVT
Follow Me To Sleep

There was a dilemma I faced when scoring this song. On the one hand, it was really good, but on the other, it was probably the least ‘late night’ style song I got sent, but as DTVT didn’t get the category I though it was better to let that go. I’ve, amazingly, never actually gotten round to listening to any Spock’s Beard before, so this was quite an enlightening song to get this round. It was definitely very cool, with awesome keyboard work being the main thing I noticed in the first half of the song. The second half is lead by some ‘rockin’’ classic style guitar, which had some nice unison style stuff with the keys, that didn’t get to the overbearing level of some of DT’s unisons. And DAT keyboard solo was great too. So a great song, but one that I feel I can’t quite give all the credit it deserves this round simply due to the category.

9th Place – 1 Point
Kingshmegland
Da Da – Bob The Drummer

The first thing that struck me about this song was the guy’s voice. I’ll probably get hated on by DTVT for liking this guy and not the Enchant singer, but something about this guy’s voice was just instantly really appealing. The drumbeat is really hypnotic, and I completely see where you’re coming from by saying this is a late night song. The only thing that drags it down for me a tiny bit is how the calm/quiet verses transition pretty suddenly into the rockier chorus. But other than that, this was really nice and relaxing, with some neat layering by the keyboards which took me a while to notice to top it off. And yeah, the lyrics were cheesy, but, as you say, in a good way, they fit the mood nicely.

10th Place – 1 Point
Sonatafanica
Built To Spill – Kicked It In The Sun

The major stumbling block for me with this song was that I didn’t really like the singer’s voice at all. The instrumentation was very nice and mellow though, and the licks the electric did over some of the verses were so relaxing. The rhythm work here was also great, and the song built up well and kept me entertained for its considerable length for the genre, which is no mean feat. Not an especially ‘late night’ song for me, but it is pretty mellow so I can definitely see how this would be a good midnight listen. My only minor problem with the music itself was that the tempo change around 5 minutes in was a bit jarring when I first heard it. Other than that, this was pretty good. If only I liked the guy’s voice!

Fluffy Lothario – 14 Points
Gorille85 – 13 Points
Space Invader – 11 Points
Kingshmegland – 10 Points
Kari – 10 Points
Portucci – 9 Points
Jamesman - 9 Points
Zxlkho – 8 Points
Sonatafanica – 7 Points
DTVT – 5 Points

Holy crap, this scoring system's hard. The way I do this is I do all the writeups in Word one by one, so without really considering the positions, and then when it finally comes to the time for scoring I realise that some AMAZING songs with glowing writeups have to be placed low because everyone is sending in such good stuff, so for the lower down people, the stuff you're sending is still amazing, it's just that with everything being amazing this round something has to come lower down. Specifically this round I was ready to put Jamesman's at number 1 or 2 when I first heard it, but then other stuff just ended up edging it when it came to scoring. Still, thanks to all of you for making this roulette have a ridiculously consistent level of quality so far, even if it makes it impossible to score.  :lol

For the next round, I figured we'd have a comparatively simple Open Round, as this category seemed to cause some people problems whilst others knew exactly what I meant, which made it kind of unfair on the people that didn't. So, send away!

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
Re: Marvellous G's Song Roulette - Round 3 Results
« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2011, 11:28:13 AM »
SORT YOUR LIFE OUT

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2011, 11:28:44 AM »
The song is called "A Natural Disaster" not "A Beautiful Disaster" :lol

SORT YOUR LIFE OUT
Also, this.
I AM A GUY

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #92 on: January 12, 2011, 11:54:59 AM »
For the next round, I figured we'd have a comparatively simple Open Round, as this category seemed to cause some people problems whilst others knew exactly what I meant, which made it kind of unfair on the people that didn't. So, send away!
You can always just do rounds that aren't entirely open but are more so. For example you can do recent music, or cover songs, or just a very broad requirement that could encompass a lot of different stuff. :)

Anyway you're getting through this pretty quickly, catching up with me!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #93 on: January 12, 2011, 12:09:13 PM »
YEAH! Definitely check out their only album. It's diverse and excellent. :tup

Open rounds aren't exactly easy... I'll need to think about it a bit.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2011, 12:12:40 PM »
So G, the more rocking bridge threw you off a bit.  Oh well.  You are right by saying the drum beat is very hypnotic and I love how durring the build up at the end of the song there is two drum parts. One on the ride on the off beats.

The was 2 singers singing lead on the song and they share the harmonies together.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2011, 12:24:31 PM »
The song is called "A Natural Disaster" not "A Beautiful Disaster" :lol

SORT YOUR LIFE OUT
Also, this.

Oh my God, terrible slip there  :lol I blame it on my sister blaring emo music as I typed it. And yeah Ariich, I might try and do that kind of thing towards the end as people don't seem to like way more focussed categories as much, so that'd be a good compromise.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #96 on: January 12, 2011, 01:17:57 PM »
Sent! Took a blind shot there, it'll be hit or miss. But I reckon the point is to expose you to as much different kinds of music as possible. And you said you wanted some experimental stuff so there. Well, it's not really experimental... it's just different. :D

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #97 on: January 12, 2011, 01:47:07 PM »
Song sent. I hope you like it! :tup
I AM A GUY

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: January 12, 2011, 01:55:02 PM »
Sent! Took a blind shot there, it'll be hit or miss. But I reckon the point is to expose you to as much different kinds of music as possible. And you said you wanted some experimental stuff so there. Well, it's not really experimental... it's just different. :D

I tried experimental in the first round and he panned it.  Good luck.

Offline Space Invader

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #99 on: January 12, 2011, 02:00:00 PM »
YES! I knew you would love that song. I highly recommend you check out the entire album, as in its entirety it is a dark and beautiful voyage through the depressing yet utterly mystical and powerful. 

Oh, and the singer is Lexi Valentine. Incidentally, Daniel Victor (the artist behind the band) is one of the best independent music producers I've ever heard. So, yeah, check the album out, it's awesome.

Gimme a sec to think of another good "open round song"

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: January 12, 2011, 02:03:13 PM »
I'm having a hard time between 2 songs from this one band.  One is a little more progressive than the other.  Mmmnn, what to do?

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #101 on: January 12, 2011, 02:12:13 PM »
I think I might throw caution to the wind and make a bit of an oddball selection. Who knows, it may pay off.

Sending now.

Offline Space Invader

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2011, 02:47:05 PM »
I went a different direction with my song this time.

Sent.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: January 12, 2011, 03:16:17 PM »
Tough to decide but it's sent!

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2011, 10:19:07 AM »
Bump.

Get at it, G.