Author Topic: Marvellous G's Song Roulette - Round 8 Resuuuuults!  (Read 41410 times)

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Re: Marvellous G's Song Roulette - Round 4 Results (finally) Up!
« Reply #140 on: January 17, 2011, 07:30:10 AM »
I'm so glad you liked Cloudkicker. Before I send the next song, I'ma link everyone to his page (I'm starting to become obsessive with Cloudkicker haha). All of the music is absolutely free.

https://cloudkicker.bandcamp.com/
'
The song I sent ("Genesis Device") is off of The Discovery, his only full length album. He has a bunch of EP's that he puts out rather quickly.
I've really enjoyed Beacons; it was in my top ten of 2010.  I'll download The Discovery later tonight.  Really great find, J-Man!

Beacons is my favorite. Man.

I checked out their stuff back when you posted it in the facebook chat.

Kind of a one-trick pony.

Different strokes, I guess. I love the "atmosphere" he builds in his style. Maybe it's just because I love metal and ambient music, and the combination sounds wonderful to me.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #141 on: January 17, 2011, 11:29:12 AM »
sent.

also, as of tomorrow, I'll be away for close to two weeks on holiday. So you can continue without me or find a replacement, but anyway this was fun. Thanks G  :)

Dagnammit, I was loving your picks.  :sad: Oh well, at least you got your pick for this round in, which I knew you'd be a frontrunner for. Well, I dunno what to do here, there's either a spot free or I just keep this going with 9. First listens are currently going on, by the way.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • það besta sem guð hefur skapað er nýr dagur
« Reply #142 on: January 17, 2011, 11:36:39 AM »
Maybe jamesman can take his spot?

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #143 on: January 17, 2011, 11:44:47 AM »
I must be a buoy, cuz I be floatin

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #144 on: January 17, 2011, 11:52:08 AM »
Yeah I assumed Jamesman was anyway, he was included in the 9 I mentioned. I guess Antigoon could if he wanted, but I dunno if he'd want to bother sending all the backlogged rounds.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #145 on: January 17, 2011, 12:21:31 PM »
sent.

also, as of tomorrow, I'll be away for close to two weeks on holiday. So you can continue without me or find a replacement, but anyway this was fun. Thanks G  :)

Dagnammit, I was loving your picks.  :sad: Oh well, at least you got your pick for this round in, which I knew you'd be a frontrunner for. Well, I dunno what to do here, there's either a spot free or I just keep this going with 9. First listens are currently going on, by the way.
Dude, just tell him what the upcoming rounds are via PM and get him to submit songs for them all now. That's what Joe did in mine and it worked well.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #146 on: January 17, 2011, 01:00:30 PM »
Good idea, could definitely do that if Portucci's up for it.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #147 on: January 17, 2011, 01:02:40 PM »
Good idea, could definitely do that if Portucci's up for it.
I have 20 minutes before leaving to the airport  :lol PM the rounds!
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #148 on: January 17, 2011, 03:10:52 PM »
Sent!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #149 on: January 18, 2011, 10:49:15 AM »
I just realized I haven't sent in a song yet. I'll do that at some point today.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #150 on: January 18, 2011, 11:12:02 AM »
James, hold on to the reins. Kill this shit.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #151 on: January 19, 2011, 05:19:13 AM »
I'll make you proud papa

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #152 on: January 19, 2011, 09:50:32 AM »
Writeups all done, just waiting on Space Invader. This has been a tough round as there was no clear winner, which made it even harder than normal to separate all the picks. Unless SI sends something mindblowing, that is.

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #153 on: January 19, 2011, 09:51:18 AM »
Unless SI sends something mindblowing, that is.

AHHHHHHHHH the pressure is on.

Gimme a little while.
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #154 on: January 19, 2011, 10:05:14 AM »
Don't worry, take your time, there was no deadline anyway!  :tup

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #155 on: January 19, 2011, 10:24:59 AM »
HURRY UP!!!!

Offline Space Invader

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #156 on: January 19, 2011, 10:51:53 AM »
SENT!

Sorry for the delay on this one. Took a huge risk with my song too.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #157 on: January 19, 2011, 10:53:42 AM »
Unless SI sends something mindblowing, that is.

AHHHHHHHHH the pressure is on.

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #158 on: January 19, 2011, 11:34:11 AM »
As I said earlier, another very difficult round where literally any of the top 5 were in contention for the 1st place spot, so don't read too much into the points, the descriptions are a more accurate portrayal of what I though. With that said, rankings are rankings, so:

1st Place - 6 Points
Gorille85
Boards Of Canada – Everything You Do Is A Balloon

Okay, so the first minute of this is one of the nicest pieces of music I’ve ever heard, seriously. I’d have been fine with just a loop of the intro seven times over. :lol But what did happen was equally good; some really relaxing, really atmospheric chillout stuff. It’s still got a kind of underlying sense of foreboding that manages to keep it more engaging than other music of its kind. This has become my new go-to homework music, which isn’t to say it’s boring, just that it’s perfectly relaxing and awesomely textured. Great choice, I knew you’d do really well in this round! :tup

2nd Place – 5 Points
Portucci
Felix Mendelssohn - Violin Concerto In E Minor Op 64 (first movement)

I knew Portucci would do well in this round as well, and he didn’t disappoint. I’m basically a complete classical music noob, so it was nice to have some specific stuff to look out for here as illustrated by Portucci in his message. I’m gonna have to agree with the classical bs talk and say that the music here really is very lyrical, and much more straightforward (in a good way) than a lot of the classical music I’ve tried, and failed, to get adequately stuck into before, which made for a nice change. The movement was incredibly well structured, the way it begins to wind down towards the end but then picks up again is great and keeps it exciting throughout. I’m gonna make sure to check out the whole concerto at the end of the roulette, Mendelssohn really does seem like the kind of composer that could actually successfully get me into classical music more.

3rd Place – 4 Points
Space Invader
Rajaton – Nouse Lauluni

I’m surprised this was the only a capella song I got sent this round, but I’m sure this would also be pretty damn hard to beat in that category. Firstly, if we remove the fact that it’s a capella, it’s still a really great pop song as it is, and the lead vocal melody is excellent. THEN if you factor in the a capella-ness, it becomes that much more awesome. :lol It’s really astonishing how layered this is for something comprised solely of vocals, but it really got across the sound of a full band, and it didn’t even feel gimmicky after the surprise I felt at the intro wore off. I would say I’d like to check out more a capella, but this seems like far and away the best in the genre I’ve ever heard. Other than that YYZ thing on YouTube. :lol Very interesting pick!

4th Place – 4 Points
Fluffy Lothario
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers – A Night In Tunisia

I was really hoping I’d be getting some jazz from Fluffy in this round, and he certainly didn’t disappoint. The amazing percussive intro really sets the almost-frantic mood here, and the song just builds on that without looking back. The sax work here is great, and the song takes a left turn at about 8 minutes that was playful but still fit the mood really well. Not to much to say here as I don’t know enough jazz to compare this to anything too well, but I really enjoyed it and it was a great pick.

5th Place – 3 Points
Jamesman
Aphex Twin and Squarepusher - Freeman, Hardy, and Willis Acid

I’ve been reading about IDM recently after gettomg Nothing Lasts… But Nothing Is Lost by Sphongle and loving it, but I wasn’t sure where to go from there. Aphex Twin now seems like the best possible direction! The drums here were indeed crazy and hypnotic at points, and the sounds in the background were creepy and built up a really cool atmosphere. I love how the drums are literally constantly building up in the first half, and then they ratchet up the tension even more at the halfway mark by exploding into an even more complicated sounding beat. The song then ‘calms down’ a bit around four minutes in, and there are more really creepy ambient noises in the background, and then some random bass stuff that made me laugh the first time I heard it. :lol It was cool though, and as James says, the song ends awesomely, with some sort of effect at 5:05 that left me and some YouTube commenter perplexed, but amazed. Awesome track!

6th Place – 3 Points
Zxlkho
Portishead – Numb

I love all Portishead I’ve heard up to now, so I knew this was gonna be great as soon as I saw who it was. It didn’t disappoint; the vocals were as good as ever with this artist, and the music was bit more creepy and distant than I was expecting, which was a nice surprise. As you said I would, I now know that this album is awesome and I MUST CHECK IT OUT, I’ve always wanted to get into Portishead more (ha) and now I know where to start. Good pick! :tup

7th Place – 2 Points
DTVT
Peter Gabriel - Moribund the Burgermeister

This was an interesting pick for non guitar music, and was probably the only more traditional rock/prog song in this round, which set it apart nicely. I’ve never been an enormous fan of Gabriel but I’ve enjoyed everything of his I’ve heard well enough, and this was no exception. The verses had some great synth stuff going on in the background, and the chorus was (intentionally it seems) cheesy 70s prog at its best, with a brilliantly overblown refrain that worked really well. The bridge was very unexpected :lol But was still cool. This is another song to add to the bunch of Gabriel tracks that I like, and might well be the straw that breaks the camel’s back and gets me to check him out properly!

8th Place – 2 Points
Sonatafanica
Vanessa Carlton – The Wreckage

I have no idea if Sonata was being ironic with his pick here or not, but I actually loved it. :lol I’ve always really liked Vanessa Carlton’s voice, and her piano work here was as good as I’d have expected from her. The lyrics were INTENSE AS HELL (although not as intense as any Mark Gormley song) and overall I really enjoyed it, plus the ‘dark’ atmosphere was pretty cool (I say dark relatively to other Vanessa Carlton songs) So yeah, I liked it. :lol

9th Place – 1 Point
Kari
Arvo Part – Spiegel Im Spiegel

After I got over the initial lolling at the song title, I settled down to listen. My overall conclusion is basically that it’s objectively amazing, but it went over my head a bit in terms of general maturity. It was incredible and I can easily see why it’s so emotional, and it is just a really great minimalist piece in general, but I feel like I personally couldn’t bring myself to ‘sit through’ the 10 minutes length more than a few times, despite how much I enjoyed it every time I did. So basically, this is a wonderful piece that the more discerning of you should check out, but I’m a bit too shallow to place it too highly here. :lol Blame me for this not yourself Kari, your pick was still awesome, I’d just rate it much more highly if it was half as long for meatheads like myself. :lol

10th Place – 1 Point
Kingshmegland
Ben Folds Five – The Battle Of Who Could Care Less

First thing that came to mind: modern day Beach Boys. Admittedly they turned out to remind me a bit more of Weezer by the end, but the harmonies are very Beach Boys-esque at points in the chorus and the ‘doo doo’ bits. For what seemed to be a mainstream song for a second, this was really pleasantly jazzy, and the lyrics were funny and clever the whole time. The video was also great; I’d recommend everyone watch it. :lol My only problem here is that other than the jazziness, the music is a little generic here, but I think Folds’ voice and lyrics are enough to carry it.

Fluffy Lothario – 20 Points
Gorille85 – 20 Points
Jamesman - 18 Points
Portucci – 17 Points
Kari – 16 Points
Space Invader – 16 Points
Kingshmegland – 15 Points
Zxlkho – 14 Points
Sonatafanica – 11 Points
DTVT – 11 Points

Also, just so you guys know, Portucci did manage to send me his remaining songs in the heat of leaving for the airport, so he's still in.  :lol

Round 6: I've realised that I barely listened to anything other than the big mainstream albums of the last few years, so Songs From 2008-2010 is the next category, which should interesting. Apologies for the brevity of some of the writeups this time, but if all the submissions are in by Sunday then I'll be able to spend longer on the writeups as school's the main reason for the shortness of these ones. GOGOGOGO
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 12:10:55 PM by Marvellous G »

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Re: Marvellous G's Song Roulette - Round 5 Results Up
« Reply #159 on: January 19, 2011, 11:40:29 AM »
Everything You Do is a Balloon is a beautiful song, love BoC.

This round will be hard for me, I don't think I bought a single non-Christian release in 2010. :lol

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #160 on: January 19, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »
As long as it's 2010, I'd be fine with it! Unless the actual music's bad of course.  :lol But seriously, if it's a good song I'll be fine with the Christian part of it.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #161 on: January 19, 2011, 11:45:03 AM »
SWEET, I'M NOT DONE WITH GIVING UP JUST YET

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #162 on: January 19, 2011, 11:47:04 AM »
Man, I'm pretty much destined to suck this round. I've heard like two albums from last year.

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #163 on: January 19, 2011, 11:50:44 AM »
If this is too narrow I could open it up to 2008-2010? I basically want more modern music that I won't have heard but I don't mind the year too much.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #164 on: January 19, 2011, 11:53:12 AM »
I'll see what I can do.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #165 on: January 19, 2011, 11:53:37 AM »
2010 is a nice challenge! :tup I have a few songs in mind you may like. Also, I'm glad you liked my song! :metal

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #166 on: January 19, 2011, 12:09:33 PM »
If this is too narrow I could open it up to 2008-2010? I basically want more modern music that I won't have heard but I don't mind the year too much.

Yeah, that makes it more fair/more accessible to figure out what to send. :tup

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #167 on: January 19, 2011, 12:11:15 PM »

Yeah, that makes it more fair/more accessible to figure out what to send. :tup

Cool, post edited.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #168 on: January 19, 2011, 12:23:28 PM »
I just looked at my top 10 from 2010, and with your taste in music, I don't think you would like most of my top 10.  Your taste seems to be not very metal/proggy.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 08:34:52 AM by DTVT »

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #169 on: January 19, 2011, 03:59:35 PM »
Even with 2008-2010, my choices are still very limited, since a lot of the albums I've enjoyed in recent years I know M G has already heard.

But I have something, I think.

Offline jsem

« Reply #170 on: January 19, 2011, 04:02:54 PM »
I approve of Portrucci's choice this round. Insanely epic piece by Mendelssohn.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #171 on: January 19, 2011, 04:09:07 PM »
Aww, I wanted to send you some Boards of Canada in perhaps a future round! Ah well.. :)

Song sent!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #172 on: January 19, 2011, 04:12:30 PM »
Aw, I'm bummed you thought it was a bit generic.  The band has a very loose vibe live.  mabye you should youtube a few live songs by them G.

MUST....WORK....HARD.....TO GET BACK.....IN THE RACE.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #173 on: January 19, 2011, 05:06:00 PM »
Song sent! :tup

Offline Space Invader

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #174 on: January 19, 2011, 05:06:34 PM »
S-s-s-s-SENT