Author Topic: Marvellous G's Song Roulette - Round 8 Resuuuuults!  (Read 41383 times)

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
Re: Marvellous G's Song Roulette - Round 3 Results
« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2011, 11:25:36 AM »
Sorry guys, gonna start tomorrow as currently starting essay number 2 out of 3!  >:( Result'll be up by Sunday latest, although probably tomorrow evening as I'll listen to them all tonight. Also waiting on one or two more I think, but that's fine as I'll be able to focus on the ones I've got slightly more until then.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • það besta sem guð hefur skapað er nýr dagur
« Reply #106 on: January 14, 2011, 11:38:24 AM »
Hey take your time, there's no rush. :)

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #107 on: January 14, 2011, 11:56:50 AM »
School first!  We'll wait for you.  Don't worry!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #108 on: January 14, 2011, 02:56:37 PM »
My bad. Sent!

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #109 on: January 14, 2011, 03:28:18 PM »
Yeah, I was just bumping to see what was up.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #110 on: January 14, 2011, 04:21:13 PM »
:tup It got me to send it in sooner, so thank you.

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #111 on: January 15, 2011, 06:55:54 AM »
Listened to them all now, I have one I think is my clear winner but I'm gonna have to relisten as these were some of the more complex tracks I've been sent. Good stuff yet again though!

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #112 on: January 16, 2011, 10:39:46 AM »
Right, sorry for the delay and slightly shorter writeups this time, but the whole 'back to school, let's set tons of work!' ethic from the teachers has kicked in, but still, I'll try and remain prompt from now on. Still, here we go, some very interesting picks/results this time:

1st Place – 6 Points
Jamesman
Cloudkicker - Genesis Device

I knew this was gonna be the song to beat this round as soon as I finished my first listen, despite feeling basically shellshocked. I’m a bit of a wimp in my music tastes, so normally I wouldn’t go for stuff quite this heavy, but it was just, for lack of a better phrase, balls to the wall heavy from the get go in an amazing way that basically felt like getting pummelled in the head repeatedly. :lol I can’t wait to hear more of this artist now, although I feel I’ll have to take breaks between each track as I was basically breathless after this. I love how there are occasional breaks of like half a second where you just have time to think ‘is this it?’ before it just goes WHAM and into another amazing riff/section. To sum up my feelings on this, I’ll quote the commenter on the vid Jamesman linked me to, ErikMcLennan: ‘What a fucking epic way to start an album!’

2nd Place - 5 Points
Kari
The Jesus and Mary Chain – Just Like Honey
I was one of ‘those people’ that still didn’t really know what the hell shoegaze was, but I guess after hearing this track I do. And I love it. Kari’s detailed message really helped me in terms of enjoying this track the way it was meant to, and after trying it through speakers loudly as he suggested I was blown away. I then tried it with headphones just out of curiosity and it lost a lot of the effect, so there you go. :lol I do remember thinking ‘I have to get this song!’ at the end of Lost In Translation, but I guess I never did, and I’m so glad that Kari sent this so I can finally start getting into some shoegaze. The female vocals at the end are also just perfect. Awesome awesome track.

3rd Place – 4 Points
Kingshmegland
Umphrey's McGee – Cemetery Walk

Well this was epic. The intro threw me off completely (but was still great) before the song ‘properly’ started and became really funky. I really enjoyed the vocals here a lot; the guy’s delivery was just really cool and fit the music perfectly. The break in the middle led into a really cool Pink Floydian guitar solo that climaxed awesomely with the return of the piano from before and a general buildup of EVERYTHING in the song up to that point, before completely blue balling me with the ending. :lol Great song, I’ll have to check this band out more.

4th Place – 4 Points
DTVT
Redemption – Memory

Despite the pure rage I could feel emanating from DTVT in his message to me with this, I hope he’ll be reconciled by the fact that I loved it. :lol I’m gonna be a noob and say that the whole thing massively reminded me of I&W era DT, which is no bad thing as that’s my favourite DT album. The intro was very interesting, and would ironically have made great late night music too. :lol I really liked the vocals in this, and the numerous instrumental breaks worked really nicely as inserts between the verses. The string parts the keyboards were doing throughout the track were excellent too, and really added to the all round epic feel. The break at around 5 minutes in reminded me ridiculously strongly of Metropolis as well, which again is a good thing. Best thing in the track: the very end. And I mean that in a completely non snarky way, the way there was the break before the ‘your name’ was just so damn cool. I’ll definitely be checking this band out after the roulette’s done! :tup

5th Place – 3 Points
Portucci
Crippled Black Phoenix - Troublemaker

Wow, I’ve really dismissed 2010 as a year for music based on this kind of thing being undiscovered by me up until now! This was very very cool metal-y post rock, and just sounded badass as soon as the foreboding intro was over. This is the kind of music I’ve been wanting to get into for ages, it’s so seamless with the way it integrates the heaviness into the more ‘wandering’ bits, for lack of a better word. The vocals were also very interesting; the fact that they were even there at all surprised me, but it was a welcome surprise for sure. This band has shot up my list of ‘to check out’s, and I can’t wait to hear more. :tup

6th Place -3 Points
Zxlkho
Buckethead – Population Override

Wow, this was very unexpected! I knew Buckethead covered basically every genre but this still surprised me with how jazzy/funky it was right from the start. The song doesn’t seem to drag at all despite it’s length, and it’s not just Buckethead who shines here, the whole band have awesome parts and it’s just a really fun, cool song overall. It can best be summed up by me linking it to a friend who only knows ‘Jordan,’ and he then said ‘WTF is he doing?!’ which I thought was great. And yes please Letters, based on that amount of studio work I might need some guidance. :lol

7th Place – 2 Points
Sonatafanica
Bjork – Possibly Maybe

This just reinforces my opinion on Bjork; I have no idea about her. I’ve loved about half of the songs I’ve heard from her, and equally hated the other half. Luckily, this was in the first camp. :lol The ‘riff’ or whatever you wish to call it is immediately appealing, and this is one of the times where I really enjoyed her vocals. The lyrics were also really interesting after a few listens, and I can see where Sonata gets inspiration for his long posts from now. :lol Not much to say here, except that I’d be willing to get into more Bjork of this kind fo’ sho.’

8th Place – 2 Points
Fluffy Lothario
Jacky Tar – Roving Journeyman

Based on Fluffy’s mysterious description, I had no idea what I was in for here. The intro didn’t help my overall confusion. :lol I actually really enjoyed this though, it had a great modern folksy feel and the vocals were, although largely unintelligible to me, great. The ‘verse’ was hilarious but so cool, and every new thing I heard in the song just made me appreciate it even more. This was way out of left field, but very interesting and enjoyable as a result.

9th Place – 1 Point
Space Invader
Telfer – Sync This Rock

I knew within the first 10 seconds of this song that I’d really like all of it. It’s infectiously funky, with a great and catchy guitar part that I immediately learnt, it’s so fun to play. My only mild complaint is at points the vocals are a bit weak, but that’s only in around one line per verse where it’s noticeable, and the backing vocals more than made up for this. The acoustic break at the middle was surprising, and then it led into an AMAZING guitar solo that floored me. Very cool song. I’m also insanely jealous of you for having such awesome neighbours. :lol

10th Place – 1 Point
Gorille85
KARKWA - Echapper au Sort

Sadly I think a lot of this went over my head, but other than the lyrics, I really enjoyed all of this. Comparisons with Arcade Fire immediately sprang up in my head as it started, which is no bad thing. The video was also really interesting. It was just a shame I couldn’t understand it! :lol The music was really good overall though, and the piano was surprisingly my favourite thing in it. I feel I can’t really say too much about this, as I feel the lyrics are a large part of it, but it was still really good.

Fluffy Lothario – 16 Points
Kari – 15 Points
Jamesman - 15 Points
Kingshmegland – 14 Points
Gorille85 – 14 Points
Space Invader – 12 Points
Portucci – 12 Points
Zxlkho – 11 Points
Sonatafanica – 9 Points
DTVT – 9 Points

My idea for the next round seems like it'll be a breeze for some of you but a difficult one for others. The theme is: non-guitar music. I hope that's a little less ambiguous than late night music proved for some, but should still be just as interesting.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
Re: Marvellous G's Song Roulette - Round 4 Results (finally) Up!
« Reply #113 on: January 16, 2011, 10:43:36 AM »
CAN A NEGRO GET SOME POINTS UP IN THIS BITCH

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2011, 10:57:57 AM »
 :(

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #115 on: January 16, 2011, 10:59:21 AM »
Of all the Bjork songs, why Possibly Maybe? That's gotta be one of the dullest songs from her entire two first albums, and those are the only ones I can vouch for cos they're the only ones I've heard.

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #116 on: January 16, 2011, 11:01:37 AM »
 :lol

All the time with this roulette every single song could qualify for 4 points and up, but some just have to get less. And @Fluffy, I suppose on reflection it is a little dull, but it's one of the Bjork songs where I like her vocals, and it's just got a nice ambiance to it, which I guess could get dull the more I listen to it.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #117 on: January 16, 2011, 11:04:14 AM »
I probably wouldn't say it's a bad song, but there are only a handful worse of all the songs of hers I've heard.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #118 on: January 16, 2011, 11:14:45 AM »
Of all the Bjork songs, why Possibly Maybe? That's gotta be one of the dullest songs from her entire two first albums, and those are the only ones I can vouch for cos they're the only ones I've heard.

What the fuck is this shit

And @Fluffy, I suppose on reflection it is a little dull, but it's one of the Bjork songs where I like her vocals, and it's just got a nice ambiance to it, which I guess could get dull the more I listen to it.

no no no he doesn't know what he's talking about don't listen to him

god fucking damn what is this world coming to.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #119 on: January 16, 2011, 11:20:27 AM »
Maybe someone can help me out...I know what song I want to send, but I can't find any version of it on grooveshark, and the one on youtube is the live version that is completely different than the album version.  Actually, the song is completely different live than the original track.  We don't get spotify in America, so don't suggest that.

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #120 on: January 16, 2011, 11:31:02 AM »
I've got Spotify here so if you tell me the title I can see if it's on there.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #121 on: January 16, 2011, 11:47:29 AM »
Maybe a stupid question, but does non-guitar include non-bass guitar?

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #122 on: January 16, 2011, 12:03:21 PM »
Maybe a stupid question, but does non-guitar include non-bass guitar?

No, bass is fine, as loads of non-guitar music I can think of now still has bass.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #123 on: January 16, 2011, 12:29:05 PM »
Damn, I can't decide.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #124 on: January 16, 2011, 12:35:33 PM »
Song sent.

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #125 on: January 16, 2011, 01:44:43 PM »
For some reason I want to send I song completely out of left field, that you very well might despise, just because I think it's so original. Or I could go with something more traditional......

I need to think on this for a while.....Interesting round choice.

Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #126 on: January 16, 2011, 01:50:59 PM »
Sent as well. :)

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #127 on: January 16, 2011, 02:02:21 PM »
For some reason I want to send I song completely out of left field, that you very well might despise, just because I think it's so original. Or I could go with something more traditional......

I'd say go for the left field one, but then you'll hate me if I hate it, so thinking it over's probably best.  :lol

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #128 on: January 16, 2011, 02:05:09 PM »

I'd say go for the left field one, but then you'll hate me if I hate it, so thinking it over's probably best.  :lol

It all depends on how open minded you're feeling today. Because in terms of music I enjoy, it is probably the most far flung, unique stuff I got. Very beautiful in it's own way, but it took me a while to appreciate it. So yeah, I might be stumped for the next little while....
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #129 on: January 16, 2011, 03:41:20 PM »
I'm so glad you liked Cloudkicker. Before I send the next song, I'ma link everyone to his page (I'm starting to become obsessive with Cloudkicker haha). All of the music is absolutely free.

https://cloudkicker.bandcamp.com/
'
The song I sent ("Genesis Device") is off of The Discovery, his only full length album. He has a bunch of EP's that he puts out rather quickly.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #130 on: January 16, 2011, 05:38:47 PM »
I'm so glad you liked Cloudkicker. Before I send the next song, I'ma link everyone to his page (I'm starting to become obsessive with Cloudkicker haha). All of the music is absolutely free.

'
The song I sent ("Genesis Device") is off of The Discovery, his only full length album. He has a bunch of EP's that he puts out rather quickly.
I've really enjoyed Beacons; it was in my top ten of 2010.  I'll download The Discovery later tonight.  Really great find, J-Man!

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #131 on: January 16, 2011, 07:56:46 PM »
You started this RIGHT after I went on my 11 day excursion cut off from phone/internet :lol

I'm glad James took my spot and is destroying though :metal

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #132 on: January 16, 2011, 08:06:51 PM »
I sent a song for this round, Joe. Do you wanna finish it from here? I will be in no way offended (it'd actually be interesting to me to see how a tag team would fare here).

:metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #133 on: January 16, 2011, 08:31:00 PM »
I'll get a song in tomorrow.  Glad you likes UM. Check them out on Youtube G.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #134 on: January 16, 2011, 08:37:25 PM »
>no guitar
>ha! I'll send in some Röyksopp!
>wait, kari is in this too
>checks through rounds
>god fucking dammit kari

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #135 on: January 16, 2011, 08:38:45 PM »

'
I've really enjoyed Beacons; it was in my top ten of 2010.  I'll download The Discovery later tonight.  Really great find, J-Man!

Beacons is my favorite. Man.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #136 on: January 17, 2011, 12:06:49 AM »

'

Oooo...free stuff.  Will check out.

Also - sent in my song.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #137 on: January 17, 2011, 12:12:06 AM »

'
I've really enjoyed Beacons; it was in my top ten of 2010.  I'll download The Discovery later tonight.  Really great find, J-Man!

Beacons is my favorite. Man.

I checked out their stuff back when you posted it in the facebook chat.

Kind of a one-trick pony.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #138 on: January 17, 2011, 01:56:08 AM »
>no guitar
>ha! I'll send in some Röyksopp!
>wait, kari is in this too
>checks through rounds
>god fucking dammit kari
Sorry man. :lol

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #139 on: January 17, 2011, 03:42:38 AM »
sent.

also, as of tomorrow, I'll be away for close to two weeks on holiday. So you can continue without me or find a replacement, but anyway this was fun. Thanks G  :)
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.