Author Topic: The Prophets of War Appreciation Thread  (Read 12040 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
The Prophets of War Appreciation Thread
« on: January 05, 2011, 02:00:41 AM »
Great song. Why does it get so much hate? I for one love it... Does anyone else?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Prophets of War Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 02:02:14 AM »
Pretty good song, I really like the guitar riff in it. Can't understand the animosity towards the song.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 02:14:55 AM »
I also like it very much I used to love it and it was one of my favorite songs on SC. Now I don't like it that much anymore but it's still a great song. And what I really don't get is the hate against it I mean disliking is obvious everybody likes something else but why so much hate?

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 02:15:17 AM »
great song....always wish I had flown to NY to try and get in on the joint vocals and regret it every time I hear the tune
such a great chorus

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 02:40:17 AM »
Well...it's better than Forsaken.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Sixtease

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 03:12:02 AM »
What a great single it would be! I love it.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 03:23:50 AM »
I like how catchy this song is. Although I can see why one can dislike it (and there are many reasons), I kind of dig it. Would have preferred the first minute being without any vocals, though. It would have done the song some good imo.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 03:56:07 AM »
I think we had a thread like this a while ago...

And it's a really good song. A lot of crazy stuff going on, fantastic performance by James, it's just a fun track.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 04:00:08 AM »
I like this song very much. It is perhaps the only Dream Theater song you can dance to.  ;D

I think some of the hate toward the song is for the lyrics, tbh. People probably think DT shouldn't do political songs or something like that. And probably because of MP's spoken-word/'rap' in the middle.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 04:16:13 AM »
Well...it's better than Forsaken.

Not in my book. I love Forsaken. i've always said it should have been a duet between the Vampire and victim. Sharon Den Adel to sing the vampire part. Would've made a great video instead of the awful one we got.

Saying that, I like PoW, love the riff and it's one of the few DT riffs I can confidently play with my meagre skills. Not a big fan of the gang vocals, it's a biy cheesy. I'd rather hear PoW than TDEN or CM.

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 04:47:50 AM »
I like how catchy this song is. Although I can see why one can dislike it (and there are many reasons), I kind of dig it. Would have preferred the first minute being without any vocals, though. It would have done the song some good imo.

I remember hearing the intro to POW without vocals before SC came out when the video of fans chanting session came out and it was awesome. I was really looking forward to hear the whole song on the album and when I finally heard that final version with vocals during intro I was a little bit disappointed. However the rest of the song was awesome as I said before it was one of my favorite songs on SC for some time

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 05:11:03 AM »
I think some of the hate toward the song is for the lyrics, tbh. People probably think DT shouldn't do political songs or something like that. And probably because of MP's spoken-word/'rap' in the middle.
The lyrics are definitely a big problem to those of us who dislike the song, but not because of the reasons you listed.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 06:06:51 AM »
I've always liked this song, and I think it's James' best performance on SC. I'm a metal fan, but I like when DT is in a non metal mode.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 06:17:07 AM »
For some strange reason I like this song a lot even though it kinda reminds me to Never Enough which I really hate. It's strange

I've always liked this song, and I think it's James' best performance on SC. I'm a metal fan, but I like when DT is in a non metal mode.

???

This comment makes it seem like you don't think this song is metal. In which way is it not?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 06:18:32 AM »
There are surely metal elements too it. But within the song, there's a variety of styles, and that to me is a great draw to DT for me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 06:34:20 AM »
It's alright.

But the best vocal performance on SC is definitely the "Angels fall all for you heretic" part.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 06:58:25 AM »
It has 2 redeeming factors for me: the disco section and the part where they actually let James hit an awesome note ("a change from what it's been")

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2011, 07:00:31 AM »
... and the part where they actually let James hit an awesome note ("a change from what it's been")

I agree.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2011, 07:09:40 AM »
There are surely metal elements too it. But within the song, there's a variety of styles, and that to me is a great draw to DT for me.

This is, to me, what makes DT great.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2011, 07:22:48 AM »

Yeah, I'm a metal guy, but I appreciate bands like Yes, but I just don't/can't listen to them for whaterevr reason. But DT puts a harder edged spin on it and I love that.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2011, 07:30:54 AM »
To be honest DT opened the prog doors for me. I was a metal guy too before them, but then when I got into prog that was kind of the end for me. Just can't stop listening to it. Still a metal fan but not that much.

Offline John94

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 07:39:51 AM »
Is it safe to emerge as a PoW fan now? I actually loved it, I loved the groove and rhythm it has. Fun song. Good vocals,  appropriate amounts of heavy(ish) and riffage.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 07:41:49 AM »
Is it safe to emerge as a PoW fan now? I actually loved it, I loved the groove and rhythm it has. Fun song. Good vocals,  appropriate amounts of heavy(ish) and riffage.

It is safe as long as you don't rub it on Bosk1's face. He just hates it and might ban you (joke)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2011, 07:42:37 AM »

Yeah, I'm a metal guy, but I appreciate bands like Yes, but I just don't/can't listen to them for whaterevr reason. But DT puts a harder edged spin on it and I love that.

In in early 90's DT melded to genders that I loved.  Prog and metal so that's what drew me in.(Or Pulled Me Under ;))
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline goldfalcon

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2011, 07:44:55 AM »
One of my students actually brought this song in for lessons yesterday.  We spent an hour learning it, and I gotta say, it definitely upped my appreciation for it.  Think I might have to put on SC for a while today. :)

Alex

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2011, 07:58:34 AM »
Gotta admit, I really enjoy this song. It's got a beat you can dance to :lol

Really though, I think a lot of people are turned off by the lyrics more than the music, but I don't seem to mind the lyrics very much. I know the music gets a bit of flak for being yet another Muse-inspired song, but I think it works for DT, and all the vocal bits in the song are great!

"Prophets Of War"... appreciate! :tup

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2011, 08:01:12 AM »
I love the song.. altho i think if they would have made it under the 5 min would have been perfect.. maybe taking out the "the only thing that i belive" part.

just saying so it could become a hit. they deserve it.

One question, what is it about the lyrics that some people don't like it (just that i haven't read anything about it before and i'm just curious about their opinion)

Offline goldfalcon

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2011, 08:06:27 AM »
I love the song.. altho i think if they would have made it under the 5 min would have been perfect.. maybe taking out the "the only thing that i belive" part.

just saying so it could become a hit. they deserve it.

One question, what is it about the lyrics that some people don't like it (just that i haven't read anything about it before and i'm just curious about their opinion)

Probably the political slant that's there; not that they haven't done that before.  But me personally, I tend to shy away from political tunes mainly because I use music as therapy. :)  There's enough drama and opinions in real life.

That said, I don't find the lyrics to Prophets of War to be all that blatant.  I mean the point gets across, but it doesn't chap my ass like say, some old Bob Dylan tunes. :)

Alex

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2011, 08:27:14 AM »
I like the song although it's not one I commonly listen to any more. I understand it's got a very vocal hatedom but to be honest people hate a lot of decent songs. I do think it sounds very like Muse (moreso than any other DT song) but I don't mind.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2011, 11:00:03 AM »
I really like the song, I'm just not a fan of the spoken bit Mike does....sounds really cheeseball.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2011, 11:07:41 AM »
It's not that PoW is a bad song.  I don't hate it.  It's just that DT has about 80 songs that are much better.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2011, 11:14:33 AM »
On the album, the song is only average for me.

LIVE however, the audience energy and chanting adds a whole extra level to the song that really makes it great to listen to and be a part of.
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2011, 11:32:09 AM »
awesome (appreciation for thread's existance)...i threw PoW on a 5 song playlist as i went to bed last night (and listened to it again this morn).

i think its a great song, though i like never enough better (if we're grouping together any songs with a tinge of muse inspiration in em). i get the feeling the band really enjoyed making it (based on the SC documentary dvd).

also, i kinda like mike's spoken word bit. and really, i gotta give it up to the best vocal performance on the song being mike's "queen moment"  :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2011, 12:15:30 PM »
The lyrics are definitely a big problem to those of us who dislike the song, but not because of the reasons you listed.

This.

Same here.  I just don't think this is a song where they blended those styles and did well at it.  But, hey, if you enjoy it, good for you. 

Oh, and we couldn't possibly let this thread continue without:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCdedrXu1wI
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline darkshade

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2011, 12:26:33 PM »

In in early 90's DT melded to genders that I loved.  Prog and metal so that's what drew me in.(Or Pulled Me Under ;))

Prog is the man and metal is the woman right?  :biggrin:

OT, in regards to PoW, i can take it or leave it, though recently, ive learned to enjoy it. Honestly, it ruins the flow SC has, it should have been a B-Side to Forsaken or CM. TMoLS starting right after Repentance might have made me appreciate TMoLS a little more.