Author Topic: Listened to Awake for the first time..  (Read 13429 times)

Offline fadetoblackdude7

Re: Listened to Awake for the first time..
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2011, 10:49:11 PM »
As I always say, Awake will take a couple of years. Don't worry, you'll love it someday.  :biggrin:

This exactly. It needed to grow on me for a bit and now I love it, just like all the others  :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2011, 11:44:41 PM »
As hef said, a lot of the depth comes from the lyrics.  So many of their lyrics since (I'd say most of them) are very in your face, blatant, etc.  In other words, it is pretty obvious what they are taking about.  Not that there is anything wrong with that, but just like I like movies or shows that make you think, the lyrics on many of the songs on Awake were thinkers.  To this day, people still debate what this song or that song from the record is about.  And digging into the lyrics and trying to decipher what they mean while listening to the song at the same time can take you on a journey that adds layers of enjoyment to the song that maybe you don't get from listening to a song with straight forward lyrics that don't make you think at all. 

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2011, 11:49:16 PM »
They also provide a handy way to skewer a song you don't like if you dismiss them as nonsense and trying too hard to sound ambiguous.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2011, 06:51:41 AM »
As hef said, a lot of the depth comes from the lyrics.  So many of their lyrics since (I'd say most of them) are very in your face, blatant, etc.  In other words, it is pretty obvious what they are taking about.  Not that there is anything wrong with that, but just like I like movies or shows that make you think, the lyrics on many of the songs on Awake were thinkers.  To this day, people still debate what this song or that song from the record is about.  And digging into the lyrics and trying to decipher what they mean while listening to the song at the same time can take you on a journey that adds layers of enjoyment to the song that maybe you don't get from listening to a song with straight forward lyrics that don't make you think at all. 

Lyrics I think have been good since SDOIT:
Endless Sacrifice
Vacant
These Walls
I Walk Beside You
Panic Attack (Yeah, really)
Forsaken
The Ministry Of Lost Souls
Wither

Actually, those are just some of the ones that pop right out at me as being less direct and in-your-face-blatant as far as subject matter. Other than the majority of lyrics found on Systematic Chaos, much of the lyrics' subject matter in recent albums have been either sad/depressing, or angry, and in a less poetic way than songs from earlier in their career.

There are probably less "enigmatic" things to write about, songs like "Voices" or "Trial Of Tears" or "Misunderstood", that are poetically ambiguous yet still intriguing. Or perhaps JP's "Wither" is a testament to how hard writing has become, and that perhaps the subject matter in his younger years in DT was just easier to concieve and develope than now? Perhaps that's something that Mike was also feeling needed a recharge in the band - lyrical subject matter. But I think if the next album's lyrics are still a bit direct, or perhaps even pedestrian and less poetic, then we can probably start to worry a bit more about where JP (and JLB and JM, if they write and lyrics) is going with his words.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2011, 11:24:13 AM »
Actually, those are just some of the ones that pop right out at me as being less direct and in-your-face-blatant as far as subject matter.

Endless Sacrifice
I Walk Beside You
Panic Attack

wut

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2011, 12:45:12 PM »
I think Endless Sacrifice has great lyrics.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2011, 01:51:27 PM »
Hey everyone, new to the forum.  I personally loved Awake the first time I heard it; great melody to the album

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2011, 02:43:37 PM »
Hey everyone, new to the forum.  I personally loved Awake the first time I heard it; great melody to the album
Welcome!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Bruins

« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2011, 02:49:21 PM »
My first post as here. Been on MP.com forever and have been a fan of the band since I&W, in other words...I am old. I was wondering...the fans that don't like Awake as much how long have you been a fan? Have you got into the band post Train of Thought era? The reason I say this as an older guy when Awake and I&W came out 92-94 era think about the music then. Hair Metal was dying..Pearl Jam and Nirvana took over. So for the fans that got to hear this masterpiece that is Awake for the first time during this time...THIS WAS EPIC!!!. Scarred (one of me personal fav's) was Epicness.... 7:00-11:59 was as epic as you would get at that time...now times have moved forward and DT's epicness progressed as well. I can see how some newer fans may visit the older CD's and not have much love because there is no lie it can sound dated...but these were the roots that created all the greatness after.    

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2011, 05:41:40 PM »
My first post as here. Been on MP.com forever and have been a fan of the band since I&W, in other words...I am old. I was wondering...the fans that don't like Awake as much how long have you been a fan? Have you got into the band post Train of Thought era? The reason I say this as an older guy when Awake and I&W came out 92-94 era think about the music then. Hair Metal was dying..Pearl Jam and Nirvana took over. So for the fans that got to hear this masterpiece that is Awake for the first time during this time...THIS WAS EPIC!!!. Scarred (one of me personal fav's) was Epicness.... 7:00-11:59 was as epic as you would get at that time...now times have moved forward and DT's epicness progressed as well. I can see how some newer fans may visit the older CD's and not have much love because there is no lie it can sound dated...but these were the roots that created all the greatness after.    
I agree, and welcome!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Laddenvore

• hey baby
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2011, 06:54:41 PM »

I'm 15, and I got into the band after Black Clouds was released, though my first song was Overture 1928.

My top albums are:

1. Scenes from a Memory
2. Images and Words
3. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
4. Awake
5. Black Clouds and Silver Lining

And Scarred is easily in my top 10 songs. Train of Thought is probably my least favourite album as well.

Depends on the person?
When caught masturbating, stare them in the eye, and finish like a beast.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2011, 07:34:29 PM »
You are clearly wise beyond your years.   :biggrin: