Author Topic: Listened to Awake for the first time..  (Read 13428 times)

Offline 54_diplomats

Listened to Awake for the first time..
« on: January 04, 2011, 03:01:36 PM »
After hearing so much about this album I bought it and gave it a listen. For some reason i cant get into it like the other albums I have such as I&W,6DOIT,ToT and octavarium. My favorite tracks are space dye vest, lie and the mirror but even those dont give me the feelings Learning to live, these walls or glass prison gave me. Im hoping it grows on me, but i dont know. Your thoughts on this?

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
Re: Listened to Awake for the first time..
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 03:05:24 PM »
It might not be my favourite, but it's definitely a very solid album. Maybe it'll just take some time, who knows. Albums grow on people differently.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 03:05:38 PM »
For one, it definitely stands alone in its mood as an album.

Two, I know many here say it takes a good amount of time to grow on you. Give it time. I was like that, and I used to not like the album. But now it's an amazing album in my eyes.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 03:09:54 PM »
Give it time for the sound and atmosphere to grow on you.  After getting into the band with I&W back in '93, the sound of Awake through me off a bit at first, but once I got used to it, the overall greatness of the whole album shone through very brightly, and I now not only consider it unquestionably the band's best work, it is in my all-time top 10.  :metal

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 03:12:59 PM »
Awake is amazing, it's either that or 6DOIT as my favorite DT-album.
Might take some time to sink in, but its worth it.  :tup

Offline 54_diplomats

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 03:23:46 PM »
Alright then should I keep listening to it or come back to it some other day?

Offline jsem

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 03:24:21 PM »
I don't like Awake that much either. It doesn't give me the feeling of pure epicness... actually almost no song on the record really does it for me (space-dye vest comes close though)

And if you're a fan you'll end up listening to it again some time... and you might like it then.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 03:25:48 PM »
Their best album, hands down.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Psy

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 03:26:14 PM »
I started listening to DT back in 2006 but I didn't listen to Awake until late '09. I'd certainly say it was very different from their other albums, at least in terms of mood, but it grew on my quickly and soon became my favourite album of their's. :) Give it some time and I'm sure you'll come to appreciate it. It truly is a fantastic album.

Offline j

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 03:26:45 PM »
Took many listens for this album to grow on me, and now it's possibly my favorite DT album (along with I&W).

I would definitely give it some more attentive spins, because it does take awhile to appreciate, according to many.

-J

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 03:36:03 PM »
What's their best album with hands up?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »
What's their best album with hands up?

Falling into Infinity. Who falls with their hands down?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 03:49:23 PM »
It's good but there are a lot of Dream Theater albums that I think are better (including all the ones you said).

It is a grower so you probably will like it more. But for me it's just a great album amongst a lot of even better albums.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 03:58:33 PM »
Put it on the shelf and come back to it in a couple months.  I bought Awake after hearing "Lie" on the radio in 1994 and didn't get into the album all that much.  Years later in 1996, I heard someone on my college hallway blasting the first three tracks to I&W over and over again, and after learning it was DT I grabbed Awake again.  Then it's greatness hit me, and my DT fanboyness gained steam.  Not sure why I didn't love Awake the first time around.  The album is orgasmically awesome.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline changing_seasons

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 04:22:41 PM »
Awake is my least favorite album. I really don't see what the fuss is about. I'm not kidding.
Tell about my brother
Tell them about me
The Count of Tuscany

Offline darkshade

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 04:25:21 PM »
i used to have a hard time wrapping my mind around Awake, as it's not as 'in your face' or 'laid out in front of you' as their other albums are. It's a more subtle and artsy record, and i feel appreciating it is easier when you are familiar with their other albums, like I&W, SFAM, SDoIT, and 8V.

Dont force yourself to like the album (as with any music). I suggest become familiar with other DT albums, and when you feel interested, go back to Awake.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 04:26:59 PM »
Mine too, but that doesn't mean I don't like it. As with all music, you may not like it now but you might later down the road. Also, you need more than 1 listen to fully grasp any album.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 04:28:24 PM »
Awake is low on my list also. It's just average to me.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 04:34:40 PM »
I only rank Images and Words above Awake. It's a fantastic album. Just give it some time, and you may come to appreciate it.

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 04:36:19 PM »
It's my favorite album, and the first one I listened to.

The Mirror - RA JA JA, RA JA JA, RA JA JA

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 04:44:57 PM »
I've been a Dream Theater fan since around 2004 and I only just had Awake click for me a few months ago. It was the longest grower but now when I listen to it it is easily one of the more rewarding DT albums. The only song I don't LOVE is "Scarred". In fact, it might be my least favorite DT song.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2011, 04:45:23 PM »
It was the last one I got into but it's my least favorite. There isn't that song on there for me.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2011, 05:04:25 PM »
Awake is, to me, the most awkward Dream Theater album.  As a whole it just feels incomplete, like I wanted something bigger.  Perhaps it is because it's an album with no real epic (and I don't count Scarred or A Mind Beside Itself).  However, since Awake is sort of unconventional and moody it finds a strong cult following here on DTF.

First there are the "A-rank" songs.  Erotomania, Voices, and The Silent Man are a brilliant combination, but unfortunately they are awkwardly placed in the middle of the album.  Lifting Shadows is lovely.  Space-Dye Vest is a tossup song, but I love it.  I don't think it works well as a closer though.

Then there are the "B-rank" songs.  6:00 is a great opener and totally groovy but gets old by the last minute or two.  Lie is a great rocker up there with Constant Motion, but vocally and lyrically I think it's somewhat painful.  Scarred is great in the first half, but after the "do you feel" section it is horrible.  I would much prefer an ending akin to how they did it in Once in a Livetime. 

Then there are the "C-rank" songs.  Caught in a Web has a group of people that love it, but to me it seems jumbled and muddy.  Innocence Faded is my least favorite on the album--I always felt the song was too bright and top heavy (does anyone know if it is in a major key?).  The Mirror is a weird song with a group of people that love it to death, but for me it's too one-dimensional. 

To me, there are some wonderful DT moments, but no song is truly outstanding (except for maybe Voices), and there are some really bad songs.  All this combined makes for an incredibly inconsistent album.

It used to be my fave too....but after I started analyzing it, it just isn't as mind blowing as I thought it was. 
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2011, 05:13:07 PM »
It used to be my fave too....but after I started analyzing it, it just isn't as mind blowing as I thought it was. 

The opposite is true for me and, I think, for many who love it.

At first, I liked it alright. Then after I started analyzing it, my opinion of it went up tenfold.

That being said, I no longer regard it as the apex of human potential like I used to.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Jamariquay

• When in Rome...
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2011, 06:03:58 PM »
Perhaps it is because it's an album with no real epic (and I don't count Scarred or A Mind Beside Itself). 

I think you just solved your own problem :p

Offline kiwiclapton

• It all began with Beatlemania,
  • In the name of God, Eric Clapton and the Slowhand
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2011, 06:08:35 PM »
Awake was one if the first records I listened to, I loved it from the start. But as most people seem to be saying records grow on you over time and they can piss you off over time too.

Thats my 10 cents....
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 06:19:31 PM by kiwiclapton »

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2011, 06:12:05 PM »
I used to hate Awake. Now it's top 5 DT, maybe top 3 DT albums for me. It took a while, but it finally clicked.

Offline hacko

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2011, 06:22:19 PM »
I don't know how anyone can hate awake.

It's right up there in my top 3 of DT discs, with I&W and SFAM.

Seriously, the only track i skip on a constant basis is Space Dyed Vest (I really don't see what the big fuss is).

And I just have to restate that A mind beside itself is just insanely awesome.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2011, 06:32:45 PM »
This thread inspired me to listen to "Voices".

Holy balls. What a song.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2011, 06:42:07 PM »
First DT album I bought. Loved it when I first heard it. And I still consider it their best. The production is near perfect for progressive metal, the atmosphere is just so dark (eg 5:13 onwards in Lie. That keyboard part by KM  :hefdaddy )

on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline TL

« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2011, 08:26:31 PM »
I absolutely loved Awake the first time I heard it, and to this day, it's probably my favorite album. I'd heard a few other DT albums at that point; SFAM, Octavarium, FII, and some of IaW. I loved all of those, but for me, Awake was even better.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2011, 08:27:13 PM »
Awake is my favorite album, by DT or anyone else.  I'd think that if you like DT in general that there's gotta be some good stuff for you on Awake.  I'd spin it a few more times, but that's how I usually get into new albums -- repeat listens.  If it's still not clicking, give it a rest for awhile.    

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2011, 08:39:31 PM »
Awake wasn't a grower for me like others. The first time I heard it it instantly became my favourite DT album (it was actually the last album of theirs I heard besides FII). SFaM has reclaimed that throne since then, though.

Offline ironsam

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2011, 08:49:02 PM »
Surprising that some people are dissing Scarred here.  Some really great stuff.  The "do you feel" part is fine...it's early 90s progressive...

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2011, 08:55:42 PM »
Surprising that some people are dissing Scarred here.  Some really great stuff.  The "do you feel" part is fine...it's early 90s progressive...
Agreed. Their 3rd best song to me.