Author Topic: Porcupine Tree Thread v. Zantera finally got LBS  (Read 343624 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Porcupine Tree Thread v. Zantera finally got LBS
« Reply #3395 on: March 03, 2012, 09:33:20 AM »
Hey guys, is it true that the new PT is delayed again for another Steven solo album? =/

Not technically.  I don't think one for this year was actually ever scheduled.  Steven Wilson is just striking with another solo album while the iron is hot and he is super inspired, which is the mark of a true musician.  You cannot fault him for that.  Inspiration cannot be put on a schedule.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #3396 on: March 05, 2012, 12:51:50 PM »
Yeah, that's fair enough. I wonder how different the new one will be stylistically from GFD. PT fans will be expecting a lot as well, that's for sure. A four year gap is quite big - and since as Steven isn't really a fan of metal so much now, I suspect it's going to be a bit of a fan-divider when it finally lands.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3397 on: March 05, 2012, 12:56:59 PM »
Personally I feel like the next PT will be even a bigger gap then from The Incident. No offense to that album in any way, but it didn't feel like PT did much "new" with that album in terms of sound. It had a very clear Porcupine Tree-sound, a little from Stupid Dream/Lightbulb Sun, a bit from Up the Downstair/Signify, the heaviness of Fear of a Blank Planet, and some characteristics from the other albums as well. So in that sense the difference might be big, from FOABP. (which was pretty different then the earlier albums sound-wise)

Offline Ħ

« Reply #3398 on: March 05, 2012, 02:28:55 PM »
Yeah, that's fair enough. I wonder how different the new one will be stylistically from GFD. PT fans will be expecting a lot as well, that's for sure. A four year gap is quite big - and since as Steven isn't really a fan of metal so much now, I suspect it's going to be a bit of a fan-divider when it finally lands.
Not 100% sure, but from the sound of things, SW3 will be more band-oriented and more song-oriented (no long directionless instrumentals). I do wonder what the theme will be. Insurgentes was all about traveling the world with an emphasis on Mexico, and you had the running motif of those creepy doll babies. GFD was about going back to the 'album' and revisiting the incorporation of jazz into rock, and its motif was the Polaroid photos. Who knows what SW3 will be about...I just hope that we get another deluxe set with the book and all.

SW has pretty much said he's done with metal, so I'd expect something totally different from any of the albums in the IA-TI era. I'm actually interested to see them explore styles as seen in The Incident (the movement) and Bonnie the Cat. Just creepy electronic-sounding stuff. No Part Of Me was kind of like that.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3399 on: March 05, 2012, 02:35:27 PM »
Several people here have been interested in a more electronica-influenced album by PT, Sleep Together and The Incident are two great songs with some interesting use of electronics.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3400 on: March 05, 2012, 02:56:50 PM »
I see The Incident as more of King Crimson influenced than anything.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Ħ

« Reply #3401 on: March 05, 2012, 03:04:20 PM »
The song?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3402 on: March 05, 2012, 03:26:39 PM »
Yeah.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Ħ

« Reply #3403 on: March 05, 2012, 03:30:37 PM »
Maybe I need to listen to more KC. I've just heard ITCOTCK, which sounds nothing like The Incident. Which albums do sound like The Incident?

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3404 on: March 05, 2012, 03:41:36 PM »
i have no idea where the KC comparison is coming from. nothing in the title track of The Incident sounds remotely like KC, even the most recent stuff with Fripp's synth controlling all over it. literally nothing related at all (imo, of course).

there's a lot more KC influence in SW's solo stuff. like, infinitely more.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3405 on: March 05, 2012, 04:01:14 PM »
Maybe I need to listen to more KC. I've just heard ITCOTCK, which sounds nothing like The Incident. Which albums do sound like The Incident?
Nothing sounds even close IMO.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #3406 on: March 05, 2012, 07:13:48 PM »
I see The Incident as more of King Crimson influenced than anything.
I don't hear it, unless the influence is from their (KC's) newer material, which I'm not as familiar with.

That said, The Incident is one of the best from that album.  Took me a while to like it though.

GFD is basically 70's Crimson reheated in the microwave with a few added spices.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3407 on: March 05, 2012, 07:14:22 PM »
I've come to really love The Incident.

Offline crawl_away

« Reply #3408 on: March 05, 2012, 10:30:09 PM »
PT will "officially" break up after this new SW album is released (unofficially it has already happened). There will be no new PT album.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3409 on: March 05, 2012, 10:35:11 PM »
^ lol

Offline matt1722

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3410 on: March 05, 2012, 11:37:27 PM »
PT will "officially" break up after this new SW album is released (unofficially it has already happened). There will be no new PT album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eNrgpVp70U

I don't see SW doing this no matter how many solo albums he does. PT is just as much of a creative outlet as his solo stuff is.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3411 on: March 06, 2012, 02:46:09 AM »
I wouldn't be shocked if PT broke up, but on the other hand I don't really expect them to either. I'm anticipating another PT-album next year anyways.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3412 on: March 06, 2012, 12:00:07 PM »

Listen to The Power to Believe album, and then listen to The Incident. They have a very distinct style and sound between them it seems.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #3413 on: March 06, 2012, 12:19:06 PM »

Listen to The Power to Believe album, and then listen to The Incident. They have a very distinct style and sound between them it seems.

Now that you mention it...

Particularly parts of Level Five I think...
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3414 on: March 06, 2012, 10:16:38 PM »
no offense here Flick, not trying to step on any credibility of your observation — just can't say i agree at all. besides use of electronics, i just don't hear anything similar; vocals are completely different, "The Incident" has a Meshuggah guitar riff, and everything electronic/synthy on TPTB basically either runs at twice the tempo or half of it.

compare earlier PT space psychedelics to Frippertronics and i'll have your back totally!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3415 on: March 06, 2012, 10:41:03 PM »
No, I really don't see any KC in The Incident.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3416 on: March 06, 2012, 10:48:10 PM »
Grace for Downing is definitely heavily KC-influenced, but The Incident?  Not so much.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #3417 on: March 07, 2012, 10:31:17 AM »
Grace for Downing is definitely heavily KC-influenced, but The Incident?  Not so much.

This is exactly what I was about to post... If GFD is said to have overt KC influences (a band I still have heard nothing of, so..my opinion is limited) then I can't possibly see how any influences can be in TI given that they're worlds apart in sound. Then again, I'm also no audiophile and I rarely listen to TI. Either way, whatever influenced Wilson to do TI, I hope never influences him again. I don't say that to bash TI, only to say I enjoy GFD lightyears more than TI. I know that makes no sense, but neither does Bidoof, so what the fuck pokemon?

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #3418 on: March 08, 2012, 07:06:11 PM »

This is exactly what I was about to post... If GFD is said to have overt KC influences (a band I still have heard nothing of, so..my opinion is limited) then I can't possibly see how any influences can be in TI given that they're worlds apart in sound. Then again, I'm also no audiophile and I rarely listen to TI. Either way, whatever influenced Wilson to do TI, I hope never influences him again. I don't say that to bash TI, only to say I enjoy GFD lightyears more than TI. I know that makes no sense, but neither does Bidoof, so what the fuck pokemon?
:lol

Grace For Drowning is an odd, odd album. There's no denying it's strangeness. I honestly don't have an opinion on it yet, even after listening to it so many times.

The Incident is much more of a traditional songwriting approach, at least by prog rock standards. It's much more easily accessible. But I find that it's an album that relies on such basic melodies and statements that after a while it gets a little bit shallow and doesn't have much replay value.

I have no idea which is better.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #3419 on: March 08, 2012, 07:22:09 PM »
You know what song is really underrated? Lips of Ashes. It's really amazing if you pay attention to it. The lyrics are incredibly creepy ("touching you.....inside...inside...inside...inside..."). The la-la-las are probably better than those in Trains or Grace For Drowning (the song) or anything else I can think of by SW. Especially that really eerie high pitched falsetto "ahh-ahhh-AHH-ahhh". Oh wow, I really am starting to love this song.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3420 on: March 08, 2012, 09:41:59 PM »
You know what song is really underrated? Lips of Ashes. It's really amazing if you pay attention to it. The lyrics are incredibly creepy ("touching you.....inside...inside...inside...inside..."). The la-la-las are probably better than those in Trains or Grace For Drowning (the song) or anything else I can think of by SW. Especially that really eerie high pitched falsetto "ahh-ahhh-AHH-ahhh". Oh wow, I really am starting to love this song.
absolutely one of the best PT tracks of all time! it's utterly spellbinding, and a brilliant reuse of parts from a Bass Communion track; SW seems to really have a knack for knowing which pieces fit where.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3421 on: March 08, 2012, 10:01:04 PM »
The Incident is much more of a traditional songwriting approach, at least by prog rock standards. It's much more easily accessible. But I find that it's an album that relies on such basic melodies and statements that after a while it gets a little bit shallow and doesn't have much replay value.
Completely agree on both of these.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #3422 on: March 08, 2012, 11:35:44 PM »
I don't see what a melody being 'basic' has anything to do with it's replay value.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #3423 on: March 08, 2012, 11:47:35 PM »
absolutely one of the best PT tracks of all time! it's utterly spellbinding, and a brilliant reuse of parts from a Bass Communion track; SW seems to really have a knack for knowing which pieces fit where.

Yes, HAI, and si!! Lovely, entrancing music.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 11:58:36 PM by TioJorge »

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #3424 on: March 09, 2012, 01:49:12 AM »
I don't see what a melody being 'basic' has anything to do with it's replay value.
There's something about The Incident where if you listen to it maybe 3 or 4 times, there's nothing left to discover. I think it's because the album is so basic. The reason it loses replay value is, for me, replay value is very fueled by constant discovery. Hope that makes sense.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #3425 on: March 09, 2012, 01:59:32 AM »
GFD is basically 70's Crimson reheated in the microwave with a few added spices.

THIS

Strip The Soul is creepier.  Just sayin.  But then, SW was pretty much down with the creep on IA anyways.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3426 on: March 09, 2012, 08:20:14 AM »
Yeah, I have never hidden my love for Lips of Ashes.  Tremendous song, and all of those wordless vocals Wilson does are just perfect. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #3427 on: March 09, 2012, 09:23:10 AM »
There's something about The Incident where if you listen to it maybe 3 or 4 times, there's nothing left to discover. I think it's because the album is so basic. The reason it loses replay value is, for me, replay value is very fueled by constant discovery. Hope that makes sense.
I don't think that's true. The Incident only really started to make sense to me after 5 or 6 listens. And Porcupine Tree has always been a band with really strong, simple melodies. How is the Incident any simpler than, say, Fear of a Blank Planet?

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3428 on: March 09, 2012, 11:16:53 AM »

I'm not sure I like this because it's making it sound like GFD is derivative from KC. It's very easy to tell he was taking a huge influence from them but to say that GFD is basically King Crimson with a few other parts doesn't sound right to me.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.