Author Topic: Porcupine Tree Thread v. Zantera finally got LBS  (Read 343607 times)

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Re: Porcupine Tree Thread v. Zantera finally got LBS
« Reply #105 on: January 05, 2011, 08:06:43 PM »
Because it makes it sound goofy. I mean in a song that's actually trying to be serious there's a line that goes "But a song comes on to my iPod". I can't connect with that on any level because it's jarring.

I understand that Wilson was trying to go for the whole teen angst thing but just reading the lyrics sounds like he got all of his information from the news or some quick internet research. The lyrics to song "Fear Of A Blank Planet" sound like what you'd find in a middle school goth kid notebook on some cliche TV show.
Agree with all of this.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: January 05, 2011, 08:12:39 PM »
I wouldn't say the lyrics on FOABP are shit, but they aren't great at all by SW's standards.  The iPod line is a bit weird, but WOOH is still my favorite/second favorite song from that album, so I don't care at all.  That line is basically the modern day equivalent of "...as the radio plays, Roy Orbison singing for the lonely..."

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #107 on: January 06, 2011, 03:24:51 AM »
I neither love or hate the lyrics that much on FOABP, it's still my favorite PT-album together with Signify, mainly because how amazing it is.
Even though the lyrics are a bit odd (for being PT), they still fit the music IMO, and i have no complaints about them.

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #108 on: January 06, 2011, 04:55:39 AM »
I can agree to an extent that would exclude Anesthetize.

I really enjoy Anesthetize, but I hate the solo, it's terrible
Meh, I disagree. I think Alex Lifeson's solo is pretty fabulous. And I don't mind the one at the end, either.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #109 on: January 06, 2011, 07:07:49 AM »
I can agree to an extent that would exclude Anesthetize.

I really enjoy Anesthetize, but I hate the solo, it's terrible
Meh, I disagree. I think Alex Lifeson's solo is pretty fabulous. And I don't mind the one at the end, either.
Lifeson's solo is meh. Not bad, not great. The solo at the end however is great.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #110 on: January 06, 2011, 08:14:06 AM »
I want you to put Felix's penis on me.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #111 on: January 06, 2011, 08:24:37 AM »
:lol
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: January 06, 2011, 08:28:35 AM »
I just finished listening to the Incident for the 6th time since it came out and I have to say I still don't get it. I have seen a lot of appreciation for this album here so I want some opinions. What is it exactly you like about it? Am I not paying attention to something?
Please share your thoughts on what the upsides and downsides are. I really feel I should like this one.

Thanks.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #113 on: January 06, 2011, 08:38:48 AM »
The Incident is fine, never been one of my favorites though.
As a song-cycle it's great, but if you start to look at the individual tracks and compare them to songs on other albums they've made, it does look a bit weak in comparison. :/

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #114 on: January 06, 2011, 08:50:42 AM »
The amazing thing about The Incident is that it's their most varied album ever, and at the same time perfectly consistent. I can't recall any album where I've had so much trouble sticking to my "only 3 favourite songs per album" rule on last.fm and I don't know how many times I've changed them.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #115 on: January 06, 2011, 10:22:39 AM »
I wouldn't say the lyrics on FOABP are shit, but they aren't great at all by SW's standards.  The iPod line is a bit weird, but WOOH is still my favorite/second favorite song from that album, so I don't care at all.  That line is basically the modern day equivalent of "...as the radio plays, Roy Orbison singing for the lonely..."

WOAHWOAHWOAH! I massively disagree with that, Thunder Road's pop culture reference fits perfectly into the mood and theme of the song/album and helps to set the scene in your mind, but in WOOH it's more just for the sake of the name dropping than anything else.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: January 06, 2011, 10:26:22 AM »
The purpose is about the same.  Compare the way people used to listen to radio to the way people listen to iPods today.  Now, WOOH doesn't have a cultural reference like the greatest song ever does, but how can you bash a song for mentioning "a song coming onto an iPod" but not bash a song that says "a song came on the radio?"  iPods and mp3 players are pretty much synonymous.  Its not a big deal, and its not like Steven Wilson is endorsed by Apple or anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIQr7HMOF-s&feature=player_embedded

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #117 on: January 06, 2011, 10:27:03 AM »
The purpose is about the same.  Compare the way people used to listen to radio to the way people listen to iPods today.  Now, WOOH doesn't have a cultural reference like the greatest song ever does, but how can you bash a song for mentioning "a song coming onto an iPod" but not bash a song that says "a song came on the radio?"  iPods and mp3 players are pretty much synonymous.  Its not a big deal, and its not like Steven Wilson is endorsed by Apple or anything.

Agreed.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #118 on: January 06, 2011, 10:27:54 AM »
 :lol

But fair enough, I'm not bashing WOOH, I actually don't mind that line, I just wouldn't put the reference on the same plane as Thunder Road in terms of it actually coming off perfectly.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: January 06, 2011, 10:37:39 AM »
I needed a reference to the radio in old rock lyrics.  "Thunder Road" was the first song that came to mind. 

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #120 on: January 06, 2011, 10:41:26 AM »
Fair enough, I'm just constantly pedantic about that song as it's the GREATEST ROCK SONG OF ALL TIME.

But yeah, the lyrics in FOABP don't bother me at all as, to be honest, I don't really come to PT for the lyrics. It's just a bonus when they're actually good, like Trains and Heartattack and, surprisingly, a good chunk of The Incident.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #121 on: January 06, 2011, 10:46:41 AM »
I don't have a problem with the iPod-line either, because to me it's just as normal as using words like TV/Radio.
The only song on FOABP that has funny/makes-me-giggle lyrics would be the title-tracks, the lyrics in it is decent, but nothing i love.
The other 5 songs has stronger lyrics imo.
Also, My Ashes rarely gets a lot of love around here, but it is truly fantastic.
Sleep Together is probably my favorite song on the album though, strings of d00m.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #122 on: January 06, 2011, 11:18:49 AM »
Nekov, try to get into The Incident in chunks, as opposed to always listening to it from start to finish.  And honestly, skipping "Occam's Razor" and "Degree Zero of Liberty" wouldn't hurt, either.

As for Fear..., I am fine with most of the lyrics.  And even though it still isn't my favorite PT record (or even 2nd or 3rd or 4th), I can now see why some would call it their best.  Getting into "Sleep Together" in a big way again over the last six months has been key.  I still am not overly wild about the title cut, but I now definitely think that "Sentimental" is better than "Normal."

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: January 06, 2011, 02:02:08 PM »
Okay, I watched Insurgentes.  Cool movie.  Wish there was more SW talking than just the (very cool) images in the first half.  I can just see someone who isn't familiar with SW at all going "wtf?"  I'm also seriously confused why he decided to go to DisneyWorld and film himself all stern like that.  Some point about happy things making him depressed?  But he just looked ridiculous, and all I could do was laugh. 

In other news, I found a used copy of the Arriving Somewhere DVD!  I'll probably watch it tonight or tomorrow.

Offline tamaha

« Reply #124 on: January 06, 2011, 02:06:45 PM »
So my sister got me Stupid Dream for Christmas, and it's fantastic! FOABP is still my favourite though.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #125 on: January 06, 2011, 02:29:21 PM »
I'm also seriously confused why he decided to go to DisneyWorld and film himself all stern like that.  Some point about happy things making him depressed?  But he just looked ridiculous, and all I could do was laugh. 

I'm pretty sure that whole part was just a joke.  :lol Just a very dark sense of humor, but I thought it was hilarious.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #126 on: January 06, 2011, 02:30:55 PM »
Yeah, I lol'd the whole way through.

AND YOU JUST FUCKING REMINDED ME THAT I NEVER FINISHED THE BASS COMMUNION CONCERT DISC FUCK FUCK FUCK

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #127 on: January 06, 2011, 02:33:34 PM »
I've always wondered if Wilson had a sense of humor like that (or at all).  I think I've seen subtle hints of an exaggeratedly sentimental sort of humor, but it's impossible to tell, especially with a Brit.  :D

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #128 on: January 06, 2011, 03:39:28 PM »
Nekov, try to get into The Incident in chunks, as opposed to always listening to it from start to finish.  And honestly, skipping "Occam's Razor" and "Degree Zero of Liberty" wouldn't hurt, either.
I couldn't disagree more. The Incident only works when it's listened to in its entirety.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: January 06, 2011, 03:42:01 PM »
I couldn't disagree more. The Incident only works when it's listened to in its entirety.

I can't say it ONLY works as a whole, but I certainly prefer it as a whole.  Apart from IDTH, I can't listen to it in pieces.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #130 on: January 06, 2011, 03:49:26 PM »
I can imagine listening to it in pieces only when knowing it pretty much by heart. Otherwise it's like reading a book by choosing random pages.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: January 06, 2011, 05:12:52 PM »
Okay, I watched Insurgentes.  Cool movie.  Wish there was more SW talking than just the (very cool) images in the first half.  I can just see someone who isn't familiar with SW at all going "wtf?"  I'm also seriously confused why he decided to go to DisneyWorld and film himself all stern like that.  Some point about happy things making him depressed?  But he just looked ridiculous, and all I could do was laugh. 

In other news, I found a used copy of the Arriving Somewhere DVD!  I'll probably watch it tonight or tomorrow.

I think some things were a little too far out there, but overall it was still a very good perspective. I came away from watching it with much more of an appreciation for SW.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #132 on: January 07, 2011, 01:14:20 AM »
I can imagine listening to it in pieces only when knowing it pretty much by heart. Otherwise it's like reading a book by choosing random pages.

I think this is my problem with The Incident, it's that YOU have to listen to the whole thing.
Normally it's a good thing when an album is like that, but in this case i feel it's more because the songs aren't very good when played individually, therefor having a slightly negative effect.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: January 07, 2011, 07:58:58 AM »
I agree the pieces aren't as strong on their own (again, excepting IDTH), but when its played together it makes an effin' masterpiece.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #134 on: January 07, 2011, 08:58:05 AM »
I think the pieces ARE strong on their own (or in chunks similar to how I broke it up in the survivor going on), so I'll have to disagree. :biggrin:

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #135 on: January 07, 2011, 09:07:32 AM »
I think the pieces ARE strong on their own (or in chunks similar to how I broke it up in the survivor going on), so I'll have to disagree. :biggrin:

This. While I usually end up listening to the entire album in it's entirety (because of how great it is) I have no problems when I listen to the seperate parts/sections.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #136 on: January 07, 2011, 02:05:53 PM »
The point is, they're all very strong but none of them are songs of Way Out of Here proportions. Which is what makes the album awesome and really makes me want to listen to the whole thing alone, not separate parts.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #137 on: January 07, 2011, 02:20:42 PM »
The point is, they're all very strong but none of them are songs of Way Out of Here proportions. Which is what makes the album awesome and really makes me want to listen to the whole thing alone, not separate parts.

I like a good deal of the songs on the Incident better than Way out of Here.

I've never been able to think of The Incident as one song anyway, I really don't see how it's any different than a collection of songs that sometimes segue into the other.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #138 on: January 09, 2011, 04:11:57 PM »
BURNT OUT TRACKS THE WORLD WENT BLACK
FUTILE

:heart

How could we ever let this thread fall to the second page?!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #139 on: January 09, 2011, 04:13:49 PM »
Did anybody see this yet?  Good interview with GH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sdUB4DbrVU&feature=player_embedded#!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC